• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What was the last 10/10 game you finished?

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
What was the last game you finished that you think is a masterpiece and really close to perfect game? For me it’s Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. The atmosphere and soundtrack was probably the best in any game I’ve ever played. The game is not overly difficult which I’m thankful for because being difficult would harm the exploration, although the game being harder at the beginning than at the end is a bit of a weird oversight I don’t really like.

Anyways, I finally understand why people love Metroidvanias now, and I definitely want to try Super Metroid again soon. The first time I played it, I didn’t really experience it fully because I was kind of confused about what I was supposed to do. I really need to play it again.

SotN might just be in my top 3 favorite games ever.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
What was the last game you finished that you think is a masterpiece and really close to perfect game? For me it’s Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. The atmosphere and soundtrack was probably the best in any game I’ve ever played. The game is not overly difficult which I’m thankful for because being difficult would harm the exploration, although the game being harder at the beginning than at the end is a bit of a weird oversight I don’t really like.

Anyways, I finally understand why people love Metroidvanias now, and I definitely want to try Super Metroid again soon. The first time I played it, I didn’t really experience it fully because I was kind of confused about what I was supposed to do. I really need to play it again.

SotN might just be in my top 3 favorite games ever.
I do not know if you could have asked a more difficult question(but do not entertain that remark)! Now that I think of it, the only time I could naturally rate a game 10/10 is when it is specifically asked for... For the sake of conversation though, I might rate Donkey Kong Country 2 a perfect 10/10. An excellent sound track, simple, but stimulating gameplay; absence of obviously suggestive content; reasonably short levels and linear gameplay, 'old charm;' and agreeable (not over-the-top) implementation of new and old, playable, and non-playable characters would encourage me to give it a nearly perfect score... Saying that is difficult though.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I'm hesitant to give any game a 10/10, but the last game that I finished that I consider to be a masterpiece is Catherine Full Body. Now let's sit here while I gush about this game. Deep breath......
  • This game is fan-freakin-tastic.
  • The puzzle sections are so much fun and with multiple difficulty settings, optional item you can pick up, and a couple custom settings you can toggle off and on, you can really tailor the puzzles to be the perfect difficulty for you.
  • They also introduce more and more elements and obstacles as you progress, yet it never felt like it was overkill even in the final levels. As long as you keep all the different rules in mind and you think ahead, the puzzles never get too frustrating. It's a good challenge and always feels satisfying when you manage to reach the top. There are always multiple ways to navigate upwards and some of the levels have a distinctive design to them that makes them stand out. This insures that the puzzle segments never get old or repetitive.
  • They even added a new remix mode which makes replaying the puzzle sections different and more challenging on the second playthrough.
  • And I haven't even gotten into the real meat of the game and why it's a masterpiece: The characters and themes.
    • Vincent is a very relatable guy who is struggling with deciding whether to remain a carefree guy or to move onto the next step of his life and get married to Katherine. The love square between Vincent and the Catherines is well-done and you can feel the pressure that Vincent is feeling from all sides. Qatherine's inclusion in this new version of the game feels so natural that I almost forget that she wasn't there in the first place.
    • The main draw of this game for me is all the optional stuff that the game presents to you. There are over 10 endings available to you and through decisions that you make throughout the game, you can pick and choose what path you want to take. The first playthrough that I had where I was being honest with myself was quite an experience. I began seeing myself in Vincent more and more and when I realized that, it hit me. This game is encouraging you think about your life and what steps you want to take in it.
      • This is only escalated by the optional dialogue. In the dreams and in the bar, you can talk to people and get to know them and their struggles. The best part is that if you talk to them in the dreams and you encourage them to go on and try to live, they will end up surviving to the end of the game and they will share their success stories with you (Otherwise you will actually see their deaths being reported on the news)! At that point, you get to see the consequences of your actions and you feel like you've made a difference in this world.
      • I've already kind of mentioned this, but at the end of the dreams you get to make a decision which impacts how the story will unfold and which ending you get. These choices really made me think and reflect on my life.
  • In addition to all the above, there are other aspects that I have to praise like the soundtrack, the minigames you can play in the bar, and the side content like the challenges. Having Persona music is also a really nice bonus.
I could go on but I think I rambled enough. This game is charming as heck and just talking about it makes me want to go back and see the cutscenes and endings I haven't seen yet. Catherine is a profound game that will have you thinking about it for a long time and is easily within my top 25 favorite games. I can't sing my praises for it enough and if it seems even somewhat interesting to you, I would highly recommend it as there is nothing like it.

francisbaud

Smash Rookie
Guild Wars, without hesitation. It's a unique RPG with cooperative gameplay and PvP arenas, really nice story with interesting quests. It did win many awards and was played by more than 12 million people. If it ever gets free-to-play I'll likely give it a try again (my game copy is gone and I've no idea where it went!).

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Crash 4. Haven't actually beaten it but extremely close. My only issues are the Cortex levels, small quantitiy of Dingodile levels, and the fact it takes a very long time for the game to get truly hard.

Last edited:
Top Bottom