• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Veterans Should Enter or Cut?? Smash Switch Discussion and Thread

Outside of Clones, What Character Group Will Have The Greatest Chance to Get Cut?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Since Smash Switch has been confirmed, we will likely to see new characters into the roster. However, in order to fill more new characters, they need to removed veterans.

So I got a discussion for you...
What characters from the previous Smash game will have a likely chance of being cut or stay in the latest installment?

This is going to be interesting....

origamiscienceguy

Smash Apprentice
Lucina, dark pit, cloud, Pac-Man, mega man, dr Mario, and ryu are the most in danger.

Last edited:

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Lucina, dark pit, cloud, Pac-Man, mega man, dr Mario, and ryu are the most in danger.
The clones are obvious. Lucina, Dr. Mario, and Dark Pit are so similar that it is very likely that they should be part of alternate costumes.

Also, Ryu, Cloud, Pac-Man, and Mega-Man are the most dangered?? Why do you think that is??

Last edited:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
The clones are obvious. Lucina, Dr. Mario, and Dark Pit are so similar that it is very likely that they should be part of alternate costumes.

Also, Ryu, Cloud, Pac-Man, and Mega-Man are the most dangered?? How do you think that is??
They are the 3rd party characters of Smash 4, so that means the developers have to obtain the rights to use the characters again. I see Mega Man and Ryu as more likely to return as Capcom tends to be pretty open with 3rd party content. Cloud on the other hand might be a little difficult.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
They are the 3rd party characters of Smash 4, so that means the developers have to obtain the rights to use the characters again. I see Mega Man and Ryu as more likely to return as Capcom tends to be pretty open with 3rd party content. Cloud on the other hand might be a little difficult.
I could see that...Also, what characters do you think should return or cut?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The 3rd party situation pretty much comes down to obtaining the rights to use such characters. And based on the way that Final Fantasy VII was handled in Smash 3DS / Wii U, Cloud's chances aren't looking very good.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
The 3rd party situation pretty much comes down to obtaining the rights to use such characters. And based on the way that Final Fantasy VII was handled in Smash 3DS / Wii U, Cloud's chances aren't looking very good.
I could see that. It is very unlikely that my boy Snake will appeared in the Smash Switch, especially dealing with the Konami issues. :(

Outside from clones and 3rd parties what other characters couldnt make through the cut?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
:4cloud::4corrin::4darkpit::4lucina::4bowserjr::4greninja::4wiifit:

I think these are the most likely characters to get cut. The reason I didn't put :4drmario::4lucas::4feroy:on this is because I don't see the same characters getting cut twice.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I just hope they don't cut Lucina, entirely. I don't see any reason why Lucina can't become an alternate costume of Marth so she doesn't really take a spot, but is still playable. There are a lot of other characters that this should be done with like Doctor Mario and Dark Pit.

:4cloud::4corrin::4darkpit::4lucina::4bowserjr::4greninja::4wiifit:

I think these are the most likely characters to get cut. The reason I didn't put :4drmario::4lucas::4feroy:on this is because I don't see the same characters getting cut twice.
I could see Cloud not making it back, since he is a third party character, and one very unrelated to Nintendo... However, I wonder why you think a character like Bowser Jr might be cut? I don't even like the guy, but I see absolutely no reason why he would be removed.

Greninja and Wii Fit Trainer would be odd cuts, too, if you ask me.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
I just hope they don't cut Lucina, entirely. I don't see any reason why Lucina can't become an alternate costume of Marth so she doesn't really take a spot, but is still playable. There are a lot of other characters that this should be done with like Doctor Mario and Dark Pit.

I could see Cloud not making it back, since he is a third party character, and one very unrelated to Nintendo... However, I wonder why you think a character like Bowser Jr might be cut? I don't even like the guy, but I see absolutely no reason why he would be removed.

I think Wii Fit Trainer will be cut since it is part of the Wii group and the next Smash will be on the Switch.

Unless we got a newcomer, The Switch Fit Trainer!!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Bowser Jr. I think MAY get cut but i'm not too sure on that. It depends on if there's any new Mario newcomers.

Greninja I feel would be the first to get the axe if there's a new PKMN character and if they're bringing back some of the PKMN vets. Mewtwo is safe because of how popular he is and that he's been cut already. Lucario as well because he's a mainstay in the franchise.

Fit Trainer I feel is done because the Wii brand is pretty much dead and especially the Wii Fit series. Of course she could always live on through Smash Bros like C. Falcon does but I think it's likely that she could get cut.

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
Bring back(Minus Palette Swaps)::4mario::4luigi::4yoshi::4dk::4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4samus::4link::4fox::4kirby::4falcon::4ness::4bowser::4peach::4zelda::4sheik::4ganondorf::4marth::4feroy::4falco::4mewtwo::4gaw::popo::4diddy::4wario2::4metaknight::4dedede::4lucas::4lucario::4zss::4charizard::4olimar::4myfriends::4pit::4rob::4tlink::wolf::4sonic::rosalina::4bowserjr::4robinm::4lucina::4corrin::4palutena::4darkpit::4greninja::4littlemac::4wiifit::4villager::4shulk::4duckhunt::4miibrawl::4miisword::4miigun::4megaman::4pacman::4bayonetta:

Cut out::4drmario:
keep out::pichumelee::younglinkmelee::pt::ivysaur::squirtle:
Keep the Single moveset rule too

Hard to say outside of opinion::snake::4ryu::4cloud2:

Arthur97

Smash Master
People seem a bit cut happy. If this is a deluxe port, no one may be cut. Maybe 3rd parties for legal reasons.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
People seem a bit cut happy. If this is a deluxe port, no one may be cut. Maybe 3rd parties for legal reasons.
Even then, unless a third party faces internal problems akin to what Konami faced (hence why Snake didn't return for Smash 4) I don't really see 3rd parties getting the chopping block, either. Not even Cloud. But maybe I'm just thinking too idealistically...

I personally see everyone from Smash 4 returning, yes even Cloud, Ryu and Bayonetta. However, I expect Dark Pit to have some major revisions to make him even more distinct from Pit. Dr. Mario and/or Lucina could be Luigified somehow (maybe Lucina could use a crossbow in one of her moves a la Codename STEAM oh who am I kidding nobody remembers that). If it's a deluxe port too, we could also see the DLC 8 getting their own custom moves...maybe? idk.

YL and Pichu I don't see coming back ever, and Squirtle and Ivysaur have very miniscule chances imo. Wolf could come back, seeing as how Sakurai stated he was "low priority" meaning he was at least considered.

Ice Climbers are definitely returning, there's no 3DS limitations anymore. And finally, as much as I would honestly love to see him back, Snake returning is almost completely dependent on Konami at this point. Which, given how Konami just...is nowadays, and Metal Gear Survive being a thing (that's also drawing a lot of much deserved negative criticism) it doesn't look good. :c

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
Ryu needs to go. He shouldnt' have been put in the first place.

I don't think anyone even asked for a Street Fighter character. We wanted non-fighting game characters like Banjo or King K Rool.

I think the only 3rd party who is safe is Sonic. Sega is desperate for Sonic to be included anywhere at this point, so him being in Smash is more free promotion.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Even then, unless a third party faces internal problems akin to what Konami faced (hence why Snake didn't return for Smash 4) I don't really see 3rd parties getting the chopping block, either. Not even Cloud. But maybe I'm just thinking too idealistically...

I personally see everyone from Smash 4 returning, yes even Cloud, Ryu and Bayonetta. However, I expect Dark Pit to have some major revisions to make him even more distinct from Pit. Dr. Mario and/or Lucina could be Luigified somehow (maybe Lucina could use a crossbow in one of her moves a la Codename STEAM oh who am I kidding nobody remembers that). If it's a deluxe port too, we could also see the DLC 8 getting their own custom moves...maybe? idk.

YL and Pichu I don't see coming back ever, and Squirtle and Ivysaur have very miniscule chances imo. Wolf could come back, seeing as how Sakurai stated he was "low priority" meaning he was at least considered.

Ice Climbers are definitely returning, there's no 3DS limitations anymore. And finally, as much as I would honestly love to see him back, Snake returning is almost completely dependent on Konami at this point. Which, given how Konami just...is nowadays, and Metal Gear Survive being a thing (that's also drawing a lot of much deserved negative criticism) it doesn't look good. :c
I would like to see the clones (except maybe Doc) revamped. Dark Pit has ample source material and Lucina could be turned into at the least a semi-clone. She also used bows in Project X Zone 2 and Warriors (which could also provide some moveset ideas).

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I've gotten quite into the idea of a full roster makeover. I would keep the following characters, whom I think offer something unique to the series:

:4mario::4luigi::4marth::4megaman::4metaknight::4mewtwo::4bayonetta2::4bowser::4bowserjr::4falcon::4charizard::4cloud::4corrin::4dedede::4diddy::4dk::4duckhunt::4fox::4ganondorf::4myfriends::4kirby::4littlemac::4link::4lucario::4gaw::4ness::4olimar::4pacman::4palutena::4peach::4pikachu::4pit::4rob::4robinm::rosalina::4ryu::4samus::4shulk::4sonic::4villager::4wario::4wiifit::4yoshi::4zelda:

I would without question cut these characters:
:4drmario::4greninja::4jigglypuff::4zss::4darkpit::4lucina::4feroy::4sheik:

I would be fine either way with these but likely see them just getting altered.
:4falco::4lucas::4miif::4mii::4tlink:

Kairyu24

Smash Cadet
The clones seem to be all in danger or headed towards being a costume.

All the third parties are a toss-up as well. Megaman, Sonic, and Pac-man have good odds to return because they fit in the cast, and it's good promotion. Capcom has a new Megaman coming up, so they are sure to grant the rights. Ryu is a tossup, and Cloud even more so. Bayonetta might return in her 3 guise, but I except her to get a rework.

A lot of it is based on released timing. For all we know Fire Emblem gets a showcase at E3 and the new main character joins the roster, resulting in Robin or Corrin being in danger. It depends on roster policies: will the cast deemed to be bloated, or will it continue growing at the current pace? Splatoon and ARMS are the major new IPs, and from the top of my head I can't think of any glaring exclusions in Smash 4 from important IPs. The DLC also covered most of the more crazy options that had major popular backing. Aside from the FE crew, the rest isn't in that much danger I think

The Switch isn't a major specs jump from the Wii U, so they probably will keep more of the engine and visual style this time. That means a lot of characters who don't require major creative adjustments are likely to return. Characters such as Mewtwo and Roy have a functional kit and model. Perhaps I'm mistakes, but that should be far less work then reviving them from their Melee version?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Characters I feel are more likely to be cut:
:4cloud: :4lucina: :4pacman:

Characters that *could* be cut:
:4feroy: :4corrin: :4ryu: :4megaman: :4greninja: :4bowserjr::4lucas:

So, most of my reasoning here is based on the fact that Cloud is with SE, and if there are going to be cuts, it seems the most obvious place to go first. Other than that, Lucina, out of the 3 “swaps turned clones” seems the most expendable.

For Pac, it’s just the matter of Namdai not seeming to be working on this, with HAL on it instead. Of course, Namdai and Nintendo are preeeeetty friendly these days so if Sakurai doesn’t want to cut Pac, he probably won’t.

For the “maybes”, Roy is an additional “Marth” moveset, and if, and only if, Sakurai wanted to cut the FE numbers back because even he thought they were a lot in Smash 4, he might look there first. He could also look at Corrin, but given how popular and prominent Awakening and Fates are, it seems prudent to keep the most original character they have on the roster, being Robin and Corrin respectively.

Greninja just seems expendable. I don’t *want* it to go, but like Lucas in Smash 4, he may just not make the initial cut, in this case because of how many Pokémon there are. I may be entirely wrong on any of this.

For Mega Man and Ryu, I think they’ll either both be there or neither will. It doesn’t make sense to cut one and keep the other when they come from the same company and Capcom is REALLY easy about crossovers anyway.

Them being cut honestly depends 100% on how Sakurai wants to do the roster, rather than any 3rd party difficulties, IMO.

Jr. feels low priority, but at the same time, he’s a high profile Mario character. My point about the roster above applies to him too.

I suppose Lucas is an option, but I’m sort of hoping not. Sort of thinking that on Mewtwo and Bayo as well, but I think given the hype and importance of both of them being in Smash 4, we wouldn’t just remove them. Especially with Bayo 3 coming and her basically being a Nintendo character at this point.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
He could also look at Corrin, but given how popular and prominent Awakening and Fates are, it seems prudent to keep the most original character they have on the roster, being Robin and Corrin respectively.
Marth is actually more unique than Corrin due to having a more unique gameplay gimmick.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Characters I feel are more likely to be cut:
:4cloud: :4lucina: :4pacman:

Characters that *could* be cut:
:4feroy: :4corrin: :4ryu: :4megaman: :4greninja: :4bowserjr::4lucas:

So, most of my reasoning here is based on the fact that Cloud is with SE, and if there are going to be cuts, it seems the most obvious place to go first. Other than that, Lucina, out of the 3 “swaps turned clones” seems the most expendable.

For Pac, it’s just the matter of Namdai not seeming to be working on this, with HAL on it instead. Of course, Namdai and Nintendo are preeeeetty friendly these days so if Sakurai doesn’t want to cut Pac, he probably won’t.

For the “maybes”, Roy is an additional “Marth” moveset, and if, and only if, Sakurai wanted to cut the FE numbers back because even he thought they were a lot in Smash 4, he might look there first. He could also look at Corrin, but given how popular and prominent Awakening and Fates are, it seems prudent to keep the most original character they have on the roster, being Robin and Corrin respectively.

Greninja just seems expendable. I don’t *want* it to go, but like Lucas in Smash 4, he may just not make the initial cut, in this case because of how many Pokémon there are. I may be entirely wrong on any of this.

For Mega Man and Ryu, I think they’ll either both be there or neither will. It doesn’t make sense to cut one and keep the other when they come from the same company and Capcom is REALLY easy about crossovers anyway.

Them being cut honestly depends 100% on how Sakurai wants to do the roster, rather than any 3rd party difficulties, IMO.

Jr. feels low priority, but at the same time, he’s a high profile Mario character. My point about the roster above applies to him too.

I suppose Lucas is an option, but I’m sort of hoping not. Sort of thinking that on Mewtwo and Bayo as well, but I think given the hype and importance of both of them being in Smash 4, we wouldn’t just remove them. Especially with Bayo 3 coming and her basically being a Nintendo character at this point.
I may be extremely biased, but wouldn't Dark Pit be the most expendable since Lucina is popular, and Doc is a form of Mario? The main issue I could see is FE's bloated representation.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Marth is actually more unique than Corrin due to having a more unique gameplay gimmick.
I mean, we basically already know Marth is back so I wasn’t really comparing the two, tbh.

I may be extremely biased, but wouldn't Dark Pit be the most expendable since Lucina is popular, and Doc is a form of Mario? The main issue I could see is FE's bloated representation.
My main reason for not mentioning Pittoo here (which I guess I should have) is Sakurai being a bit biased towards KI, and maybe wanting Dark Pit there as a character.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I think Toon Link and Lucina should go for three reasons: They're too similar to their mains, their franchises have already many representatives and there are too many swordfighters.
But Lucina would make a good alt for Marth.
Dr. Mario also should be reduced to an alt for Mario (as well as Luigi deserves a Dr. Luigi alt) because the Super Mario franchise also has too many representatives.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i hope they cut doc lucina pitoo, the koopalings and reduce the number of fire emblem characters

im worried theyll cut wii fit trainer and shulk

AncientArk

Smash Apprentice
Mostly, I'd just cut characters that have very little relevance to me.
Shulk, Corrin, Bayonetta's beehive haircut costume, Dark Pit and Pit, Greninja.

I'd swap Male Robin for my own Fire Emblem Tactician character. Because.

If I was to make a guess that any character would be cut for legit reasons, I think Corrin and probably one of the DLC 3rd party characters, probably Cloud.
Bayonetta seems like a keeper.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
i hope they cut doc lucina pitoo, the koopalings and reduce the number of fire emblem characters

im worried theyll cut wii fit trainer and shulk
Why would they cut Shulk; he’s basically XenoMarth, and no other character they could add has anything Shulk has.

It’s the “Theyre gonna cut Marth and add Lucina” all over again. The series symbol is even specifically the Monado.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I mean, we basically already know Marth is back so I wasn’t really comparing the two, tbh.

My main reason for not mentioning Pittoo here (which I guess I should have) is Sakurai being a bit biased towards KI, and maybe wanting Dark Pit there as a character.
Eh, he may have cooled off on KI since it's been so long by this point and, unlike Kirby, he didn't create it.

I obviously don't want Lucina cut, and I'd rather keep Doc if just because I like him. While I don't like Corrin or Bayonetta, maybe they'll reuse the engine so they don't have to cut anyone and can just focus on adding new stuff, and, in a hopeful scenario, revamping the clones. Plus, the Smash 4 engine is probably my favorite to date so that'd be a plus too.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
:4darkpit:, :4drmario:, and especially :4lucina: should go back to being alts. Its dumb that you need to beat Classic/All-Star mode with Marth, Pit, and Mario twice in order to unlock all the trophies when you have 40+ other characters to go through these modes with (to say nothing about the stupidity that is the clones separate custom move pools).

As far as the main roster goes, if any character has to get cut :4lucas: & :4feroy: should be the first two on the chopping block.

Last edited:

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
I feel like greninja is the only veteran really likely to be cut, maybe one of the fire emblem characters as well. I expect this game to be heavily based on the previous title so I’m not really expecting many cuts at all honestly, and characters that are cut would probably return later as dlc anyway (as did many in smash 4).

People seem very cut happy in this thread. Smash has never been very extreme with roster cuts.roster

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Watch this, I can fix the Bayonetta problem without cutting or altering her, and in just two easy steps involving the ability to cut and add any veterans I want to:

Cut :4metaknight:
Bring back :metaknight:

See? My plan's flawless, now nobody will complain about Bayonetta ever again.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Watch this, I can fix the Bayonetta problem without cutting or altering her, and in just two easy steps involving the ability to cut and add any veterans I want to:

Cut :4metaknight:
Bring back :metaknight:

See? My plan's flawless, now nobody will complain about Bayonetta ever again.
Brawl MK may have been the most OP character Smash has ever seen, but at least he was fun to play against.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Imo they should cut Wario and add Wario.
I don't like any of the possible implications of this post.

I'll eat crow if Greninja somehow gets cut.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I don't like any of the possible implications of this post.

I'll eat crow if Greninja somehow gets cut.
What do you mean man, I'm just saying I'd rather have Wario than that one guy, Wario.

Morbi

Scavenger
In my opinion, characters that offered very little and have potential replacements from newer releases will be prioritized. Greninja for a Pokemon, Shulk for Rex, Robin/Corrin for FE Switch Protagonist. There is probably going to be one "wth why would you cut THAT character" as they did with Wolf and Mewtwo before him. If I had to guess, Bowser Jr. or Rosalina. I am not sure, I guess the character would need to have some clone-esque quality to them and Greninja is the only one that fits the bill. So maybe not this time.

Beyond that, I doubt DLC characters will return such as Mewtwo, Roy, or Lucas. Some of the third party characters will also likely be cut, Cloud being the most obvious choice. I guess Doctor Mario, Lucina, and Dark Pit are predicated upon whether or not there is enough time. Or maybe Sakurai changed his mind and will just make them skins. I guess that still counts as a cut though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom