• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What turned the community so sensitive?

GawdImFoxy

Smash Journeyman
This isn't for discussion about whether or not it's okay for the community to have grown so sensitive about controversial terminology such as "****," "gay," or otherwise arguably offensive terms.

I moved to the midwest and have ceased to be active in the tournament community since 3 years ago when I lived on the East Coast. Since then, I've been cringing when I take note of just how crazy it is how sensitive the community has gotten and how fast. While these terms, and numerous others, were considered commonplace and readily accepted when I was active a few years ago, I feel like if I were to be active again, I would have to walk on pins and needles to avoid offending someone.

The reason I bring this up is because of the all too popular sexism issue that's been going around. I'm not going to state my opinion on any of these things because this isn't to provoke debate. Ultimately I would just like to know everyone's opinion on what turned a once thick-skinned community so sensitive so quickly.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think the community is better without those terminology

Last edited:

GawdImFoxy

Smash Journeyman
While I'm sure most would agree with you, I thought I made it pretty clear I'm not asking for a debate. It may or may not be. It's 100% a matter of opinion.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, when you use the term gay as an offensive term, it changes your mindset and the mindset of others around you that homosexuality is something to be held in contempt.

Also, using **** desensitizes people to what is a truly horrible thing to do and how bad it can effect someone in real life, especially when your using it as a positive action you did.

Rapists aren't good people and you shouldn't consider the act of ****** a positive thing in your favor.

GawdImFoxy

Smash Journeyman
I think you're missing the point. It used to be an acceptable gesture to jest about such things. That time has come and gone and I'm curious what changed the minds of the community.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Maybe it's because people that don't like it have stood up and said they don't like it. It's not really a matter of having thin skin imo, I think most people will feel bad when they realize they just said something offensive.

Last edited:

GawdImFoxy

Smash Journeyman

GawdImFoxy

Smash Journeyman
Maybe it's because people that don't like it have stood up and said they don't like it. It's not really a matter of having thin skin imo, I think most people will feel bad when they realize they just said something offensive.
No no, I don't want you to think I'm putting these sensitive people on blast. Some people are just offended a little more easily than others. I don't mean to imply they have "thin skin," but I think we can both agree it's a far cry from the thick skin characteristic to the community a few years ago.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
This isn't for discussion about whether or not it's okay for the community to have grown so sensitive about controversial terminology such as "****," "gay," or otherwise arguably offensive terms.

I moved to the midwest and have ceased to be active in the tournament community since 3 years ago when I lived on the East Coast. Since then, I've been cringing when I take note of just how crazy it is how sensitive the community has gotten and how fast. While these terms, and numerous others, were considered commonplace and readily accepted when I was active a few years ago, I feel like if I were to be active again, I would have to walk on pins and needles to avoid offending someone.

The reason I bring this up is because of the all too popular sexism issue that's been going around. I'm not going to state my opinion on any of these things because this isn't to provoke debate. Ultimately I would just like to know everyone's opinion on what turned a once thick-skinned community so sensitive so quickly.
People grow up and realize that being considerate of others is a thing that decent human beings do, and no longer feel entitled to use insensitive and exclusive language because "other people are too sensitive"

Last edited:

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
you not witnessing the sexism =/= is doesnt exist

and if you arent a problem with the sexism thing, then there really shouldnt be any problems (unless someone is actively bugging you. then thats not cool.)

the community isnt being asked to actively go out of the way and protect women
the community IS being asked to be more aware of issues and to not be as complacent.

(and sorry if i sound confrontational or whatever the internet makes it hard to sound civil ya know?)

Last edited:

Alexo30

Smash Journeyman
What are the advantages to using these terms?

What are the disadvantages(problems) to using these terms?

How I see the whole situation.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Thought policing is a slippery slope. I mean you saw VGBC trying to get us to stop using "Gimp"

Just let people say what they want, joke how they want, and feel free to tell them how you feel but never tell people they simply can't say those things or should be punished for them.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Thought policing is a slippery slope. I mean you saw VGBC trying to get us to stop using "Gimp"

Just let people say what they want, joke how they want, and feel free to tell them how you feel but never tell people they simply can't say those things or should be punished for them.
You can say or do what you want, but there are repercussions, both good and bad, for EVERY action you take.

I don't see why intentionally saying something you KNOW will offend someone shouldn't be punished

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
You can say or do what you want, but there are repercussions, both good and bad, for EVERY action you take.

I don't see why intentionally saying something you KNOW will offend someone shouldn't be punished
Directly offending someone isn't what i was talking about though. If the intent is to offend then feel free to kick them out or what have you.

That's an issue all on it's own, completely different to someone being offended by your choice of words when they're in no way referenced.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Directly offending someone isn't what i was talking about though. If the intent is to offend then feel free to kick them out or what have you.

That's an issue all on it's own, completely different to someone being offended by your choice of words when they're in no way referenced.
Why choose to use derogatory terms in the first place?

They are meant to offend.

If you use those terms, you ARE knowingly offending someone

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
If you use those terms, you ARE knowingly offending someone
There are not meant to offend people in all contexts of their use, actually.

"Gay" "Gimp" "****" etc. take on totally different meanings in the general use in smash. Coddling the sensibilities of people like that is not doing them any favors. I know you think you're helping, but it only reinforces "special snowflake" status and makes it worse when they inevitably hear those words.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
There are not meant to offend people in all contexts of their use, actually.

"Gay" "Gimp" "****" etc. take on totally different meanings in the general use in smash. Coddling the sensibilities of people like that is not doing them any favors. I know you think you're helping, but it only reinforces "special snowflake" status and makes it worse when they inevitably hear those words.
No, the thing is it isn't

They are still being used as derogatory terms

You're using them to degrade someone.

You're using **** to infer absolute domination over someone in a purposely intense manner in order to inflict an negative emotion onto them.

I've never really heard anyone saying or being offended by gimp, but I can see it being done. It's still inferring something is "disabled"

And using gay as an offensive term has MEANT implying it's as bad as homosexuality since it started being used as an insult. There has never been any kind of other meaning.

You can say you are trying to give the words a different meaning, but that doesn't mean anything.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
"Gay" has never had any other meaning"

Lolwut.

And no one is trying anything, they just have different meanings already. And in the context used in smash, "****" isn't any more derogatory than "Wrecked" or "Owned" and is often not meant to demean the player themselves but rather their performance.

I also find it hard to believe you've never heard the term "Gimp" used in smash.

Regardless, the slippery slope is real. You think because you can imagine someone being offended by what you say, you shouldn't say it? That applies to pretty much anything you could say with any relevant meaning.

Last edited:

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
watching this with an open mind might help explain the issue. some of the people use extremely similar arguments to you. the exchanges between 30:00 to 34:30 is powerful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MYHBrJIIFU

it's easy to use terms like **** and gay when you are in the comfortable majority because you never have to acknowledge the implications. when the comfortable majority get challenged on this behaviour you will always hear the same typical responses:

- denial of any issue. i don't see a problem so there must be no problem
- downplaying the issue
- blame the victim. they are just being over sensitive, they just think they're special
- this is political correctness gone mad
- inappropriately framing the issue the same as something less sinister

people learned some empathy and grew up.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
One issue is that generally the people saying these terms are unacceptable aren't the ones who are even offended by it, and they arbitrarily pick out which words are unacceptable and really do facilitate the concept that these victims are more special than others.

There's a lot of terms we throw around that might trigger or offend people. "Murder" "Cancer" "Toxic" "******" and even "Stupid" and "Ginger" have had arguments made for why they shouldn't be said.

It's great you want to be more inclusive, but in the end people need to be objective. Banning words in their entirety, regardless of their use is silly. Me telling you that you got ***** by m2k shouldn't be any less acceptable than telling you that you got murdered by him.

You can project the idea that I'm ignorant due to not being apart of a commonly ridiculed group (which you don't know, please don't project) but in the end, objectivity is the ideal. Not this "your rights end where my feelings begin" bull****.

If you're uncomfortable with a phrase, ask people to avoid them. But demanding it and rallying people against anyone who refuses to censor themselves is not the answer.

Last edited:

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
you shouldnt be using the word ****** either unless it is being used in the sense as a verb 'to ******' which is an actual example of a word taking on a different meaning because it means to slow down something and has been a part of the english language (not slan

and who are you to decide what offends and what doesnt offend people.
if words offend people, why use them?

also no one is taking away your rights. yes, you have the right to free speech. guess what! you also have the responsibility to use your freedom of speech in ways that do not harm others. And, the fun thing is, when you say 'well you cant tell me what to say i have freedom of speech' it means jack ****. If you know your rights, you'd know that it: "protects the right to freedom of religion and freedom of expression from government interference" (Cornell University). Which means the government cannot make laws that impede on citizens right to free speech unless the speech is deemed as dangerous, slanderous/libelous, etc (the things that prevent jackasses from yelling fire in a crowded area, etc).

So, if you say something that is offending someone, you will have to face consequences, whatever that may be.

In this case, you have people on the internet telling you why we believe you shouldn't use these words. In the end of the day, it's your choice.
But please, look at this from both sides. If words are problematic, please be wary of using them. It's not because everyone is ~overly sensitive~, its because people are finally sick of dealing with the 'PEOPLE SHOULD JUST TOUGHEN UP WOWOWOWOW' attitude to shift the blame for being an outright jackass.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
****** was merely an example of one of the many words that don't receive equal representation on censorship.

I also never said people shouldn't be offended. And I also didn't bring up "freedom of speech" as defined by the government, I didn't bring it up at all actually though it does apply here somewhat. Regardless, I wasn't talking about my right as an American to say what I want, just as a person.

"Thought police" is a worldwide issue, not strictly American.

And don't misunderstand, I'm more than willing to alter my speech for those immediately around me to feel more comfortable but to deny that there isn't any oversensitivity on this subject at all is obviously faulty though.

Regardless, if you want to police words alone, regardless of their context, I feel you're going to cause more problems than help. That's all I wanted to point out.

As for the OP, there's a thick culture of guilt and victimhood being facilitated in eastern culture which mostly effects the youth. I don't think people are technically much more sensitive than they used to be, they're just more critical because there is social status to be gained from being offended, especially for others.

Last edited:

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I'm not a person that would use "****" or "gay" and personally enjoy their absence in casual discussion, but I wouldn't call someone an outright asshole for saying such empty words because that's all they are, even the people offended project something else that fills it up with something not intended by the speaker (which I'm not trying to disallow or look down upon here). If those talking held truly homophobic views or are complacent/supportive of the actual act of ****, then yeah, I'd call them an outright asshole. If those talking were told specifically that people around them had certain buzz words that had some compulsive emotional effect on them and they then proceeded to intentionally say them in order to trigger such a response, then yes, I'd call them an outright asshole. Otherwise, they're not intending much more when they cry out "Jesus Christ!" And none of these scenarios are about some sense of entitlement, and that's not really a good thing to target because people on the other side would simply accuse others of expecting entitlement by saying "I'm offended".

They could just as easily insert any other expression or word to relay the emotion they're getting across and the ones that come out are just what has been inculcated into them (from admittedly brain-dead or bigoted origins), which is also the very same reason why it isn't a big deal to adapt your vocabulary in such situations to try and avoid the entire conflict to begin with. It's just that by far the word that to me is tossed the most around and is the most offensive, out of principle, not feelings, is "should", and that is one that although subtle, holds much more power and is much less empty than words such as "****", "gay", etc. and one that I fear will grip us socially to the point where it'll choke the life out of it. And for that reason I'd never try to constrict or judge such people personally.

Because I'd rather people just relax and have fun which is the point. And those who raise their voices on the opposite side of entitlement, who wish to say whatever they please, can kill that too because they're coming from a pedestal they've granted themselves as well. So I'm not trying to call out any "side" of this issue, I would just like for everything to be natural and for us to be in-tune with our setting, which isn't the same as calling upon a Will to Power here and creating some dichotomy between a freaking community, around games made for enjoyment no less. I mean damn. In society, everyone has to compromise in order to function, to evolve, and that falls on both "sides" here, there shouldn't be a battle for the single High Horse to decree which people should be adhering to who, even with a majority to minority ratio involved.

None of what I've said here has anything to do with sexism, which I don't think was the point of this topic but was mentioned at somewhere. That's a completely different animal that I don't believe can even really be compared to this at all. And for the record, I obviously wish to see good treatment of females. Although I don't think we'd really see anyone speak up about wanting otherwise despite it being a real issue (to whatever degree it is, I've very little experience witnessing it). I don't believe that males are wrong in every sense to treat the gender they are attracted to differently because hey, we all treat people different depending on charm, and guys we think are "handsome" will amorally influence people just as girls we think are "cute" will amorally influence people as well, just as charismatic people in general do. But of course, there are truly anti-social aspects of it that are undesirable by virtue of how it by definition damages a community.

Last edited:

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
It's great you want to be more inclusive, but in the end people need to be objective. Banning words in their entirety, regardless of their use is silly. Me telling you that you got ***** by m2k shouldn't be any less acceptable than telling you that you got murdered by him.
"Death is a consequence of living that we're all going to face. It's an equalizer that respects neither race nor gender. And it's something that we all have in common. The victims of **** are more isolated. With an experience many other people could never prepare for nor understand and they carry the consequence every day of their lives. When you're dead, you're not reminded of being murdered every day of your life. Death just stops us from moving and thinking, whereas sexual abuse can haunt and traumatize. Hell, if you're religious then you see death as something greater. There's nothing to save you from **** regardless of how religious you are.

We all know what murder is and we're comfortable with that. We can enjoy murder being applied to the context of videogames because we're secure in the knowledge that we wouldn't do it in real life. Therefore we can draw a solid line between reality and fantasy unless you're mental. **** unfortunately is not privy to the same moral respect. We live in a society where **** victims are often expected to take on as much responsibility for what happened to them as the rapist themselves, "Oh she was dressed as a *****" or "Oh what was she wearing to lead him on?" Nobody blames a murder victim for having too much life, whereas there are people who are willing to blame a **** victim for having too much sex. There are plenty of tips for women telling them how to avoid getting *****, but few tips for men telling them to 'maybe not ****.' Because there are people out there determined to try and make **** a grey area where it shouldn't be, it is always going to be more sensitive because there is more unwanted confusion surrounding it."

- Jim.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
"Gay" has never had any other meaning"

Lolwut..
I knew someone was going to mention that

I meant in the context of insulting someone

The other meaning, "Happy" doesn't make sense in the context of an insult

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I knew someone was going to mention that

I meant in the context of insulting someone

The other meaning, "Happy" doesn't make sense in the context of an insult
"Man that was so homosexual" doesn't make sense in the context of an insult either. Even if they think homosexuality is undesirable, they certainly didn't mean your act was that meaning of "gay" because it still wouldn't make sense.

Though that point was mostly irrelevant to my main one.

Last edited:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
While I don't mind terms, like "****", "gay", etc. being used to show dominance in a game or cheap playstyle respectively, I can understand why people are fighting to rid the words from common seemingly nonchalant usage, as they do stem from offensive and hurtful terms that were often used as a negative to begin with. Of course, the same could be said about the "n-word", and somehow, the black community has taken the word and used that as a positive when addressing one another, so what do I know?

Element of Smash

Scrub Lord
"Man that was so homosexual" doesn't make sense in the context of an insult either. Even if they think homosexuality is undesirable, they certainly didn't mean your act was that meaning of "gay" because it still wouldn't make sense.
You mean despite all the people who use it that way anyway?

Also, @ GawdImFoxy GawdImFoxy . The Midwest is undergoing a lot of cultural change outside of the Smash Community. You may or may not have noticed. But part of this is an increasing awareness of the LGBT Community in their call for civil rights. These changes were bound to spillover into everyday life. Part of that is the spillover into the Smash Community. It was inevitable.

Personally, I don't really get offended when someone throws those words at me. I know what they mean, and most of the time, they're my friends who I know actually care about me. But when someone I don't know thinks it's okay to sling homophobic slurs at me, I get pretty pissed. Because I am gay, and there comes a point where it's a personal affront. Which I don't take kindly to.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I think its because after Evo the smash community resurged. There are now sponsors looking at the community therefore its important for us to be "correct" to appease them.

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
To answer the OP's original question, I would say that it's not happening just in the smash community, but the gaming community as a whole which includes us. In terms of "****", I think it has a lot to do with being more considerate of others than a case of sensitivity, especially in regard to women. A lot of awareness about gender inequality has arised recently because of the in/famous gender tropes in gaming videos, and the backlash of clear gender inequality at last year's E3. The same general thing goes for "gay", but instead of women it's gays.

To address the rest of the discussion, another way to look at it is to ask, why would anyone even care if they have to stop saying offensive terms? And why is the OP asking about "arguably" offensive terms like gay and **** instead of the word n****r? People generally accept not saying n****r because they know it's very volatile and can easily be inflammatory even without that intent, so what is so different about other offensive words. I would say that there's basically no difference, kind of like how really old people say n****r and don't understand why it's a big deal.

You can't just say "I'm not saying these offensive words around sensitive people with malicious intent, so they shouldn't be offended"--that's just telling someone how they should feel and how they should be. If certain people don't like offensive terms, it's just courteous to them to not say those words. '*****' and 'Owned', and 'Gay' and 'Stupid' might mean the same things to you without any discomfort and with equivalency, but it's not the same for everyone. If the community is going to be inclusive, it's not a big deal using equivalent but non-offensive terms instead of controversial ones.

TLDR: So basically, awareness is being raised in general and the smash community is just caught up in the current. Other people are not being sensitive, they are part of communities where certain words are offensive, and if the larger community is to include them then it has to give up those words. There are synonyms which mean literally the same thing so it shouldn't be a big deal. But it's a big deal to some people because they think other people should be the way they want them to be. NERDS.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
This whole thread is gay and I feel my brain was ***** after reading it.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
My very presence spreads homosexuality.

It's part of my scheme for world domination, of course.
I was on the dark side annihilating twinks long before your arrival jack

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
To address the rest of the discussion, another way to look at it is to ask, why would anyone even care if they have to stop saying offensive terms? And why is the OP asking about "arguably" offensive terms like gay and **** instead of the word n****r? People generally accept not saying n****r because they know it's very volatile and can easily be inflammatory even without that intent, so what is so different about other offensive words. I would say that there's basically no difference, kind of like how really old people say n****r and don't understand why it's a big deal.

You can't just say "I'm not saying these offensive words around sensitive people with malicious intent, so they shouldn't be offended"--that's just telling someone how they should feel and how they should be. If certain people don't like offensive terms, it's just courteous to them to not say those words. '*****' and 'Owned', and 'Gay' and 'Stupid' might mean the same things to you without any discomfort and with equivalency, but it's not the same for everyone. If the community is going to be inclusive, it's not a big deal using equivalent but non-offensive terms instead of controversial ones.
I'm sorry but the this is kind of a ridiculous false equivalency. The word ****** is in a different world than **** and gay because it was a word created for and used as a part of a systematic process to oppress a particular group for over a century. Obviously the terms gay and **** hold no such significance. Their corresponding equivalence would probably be ****** or *****, although ***** has become a lot more common place and acceptable to the point of which it hardly holds any offense significance beyond feminists who are looking to get upset.

The community is kinda being a little OD about this whole thing. From an economic stand point I get it since we need to be inclusive to get more sponsors and also it isn't fair to isolate any group or minority, on the other hand there is such a thing as oversensitive. I mean few things are more obnoxious than liberals with their self righteous rhetoric proclaiming how disgusting and offensive words are which no hold on malicious intent from the user of said word. Its overboard to the point where as the OP said it feels like you have to walk on pins and needles with everyone(which I just won't do). But the bigger point here is that making everything into an offensive travesty diminishes the significance of when truly offensive practices need to be addressed. It just becomes another eye roll case of liberals with another obnoxious cause.

Last edited:
Top Bottom