• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What tier is IKE in his FF games?

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Hes been in 2 of them right? Was he any good? If so, how good? If not, WHAHAHHAHAHAHA!

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
Better than Marth I can tell you that. Ike has great moveset, aether heals him 20 points, ragnell packs quite a punch, his other swords are more durable, he can carry more and he is one of the fast characters.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Ike's considered one of the best lords ever.

He's also one of the fastest lords ever iirc.

He can also easily punch a hole through Samus in a fistfight.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Ike is the best or 2nd best (Haar) ranked beroc in RD, in PoR he can do the entire game ALONE
Haar is over all better in RD. Sure, Ike beats him in the tower. Before then? Haar>Ike. Crazy defense, crazy strength, decent speed.

In PoR, Ike is either bottom of top tier or top of high tier. Boyd is considered better, as well as Jill, Titania (I highly disagree with this, but w/e), Reyson, Oscar, and Kerian(sp?)

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Ike is easily the best character in PoR. Consider this: You can solo the game with Ike with considerable EASE.

In RD everyone else gets a little bit closer, though. Ike is probably tied with Haar then.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Haar is over all better in RD. Sure, Ike beats him in the tower. Before then? Haar>Ike. Crazy defense, crazy strength, decent speed.

In PoR, Ike is either bottom of top tier or top of high tier. Boyd is considered better, as well as Jill, Titania (I highly disagree with this, but w/e), Reyson, Oscar, and Kerian(sp?)
Isn't that just for helps finish the game the fastest effectively?

metroid1117

Smash Master
Isn't that just for helps finish the game the fastest effectively?
Yes. For FE tier lists, they rank characters based on how much faster they allow you to clear the game. For example, in FE7, Nino (5th worst in the game) has some of the best growth rates in the game. However, because she comes so late in the game and so under-leveled, she is considered to be one of the worst characters on the tier list. Conversely, Marcus, who is infamous for being an exp hog with bad growth rates, is considered to be very good (6th best in the game) because of his great starting stats and ability to keep up with enemies even late in the game.

As for how good Ike is in his games, he's considered to be 2nd best in both Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn.

Tier lists cited: FE7, Path of Radiance, and Radiant Dawn.

Note that I'm not good at FE at all, it's just that I'm friends with a guy who beats the FE games on the hardest difficulty with 0% growths via the emulator. His Youtube channel is here, he's working on a 0% growth run of hard mode for Shadow Dragon if you guys are interested.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Yes. For FE tier lists, they rank characters based on how much faster they allow you to clear the game. For example, in FE7, Nino (5th worst in the game) has some of the best growth rates in the game. However, because she comes so late in the game and so under-leveled, she is considered to be one of the worst characters on the tier list. Conversely, Marcus, who is infamous for being an exp hog with bad growth rates, is considered to be very good (6th best in the game) because of his great starting stats and ability to keep up with enemies even late in the game.

As for how good Ike is in his games, he's considered to be 2nd best in both Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn.

Note that I'm not good at FE at all, it's just that I'm friends with a guy who beats the FE games on the hardest difficulty with 0% growths via the emulator. His Youtube channel is here, he's working on a 0% growth run of hard mode for Shadow Dragon if you guys are interested.
How the hell do you beat RD without any growths?? (as in no stat gains from levels right??)

metroid1117

Smash Master
How the hell do you beat RD without any growths?? (as in no stat gains from levels right??)
Yeah, 0% growths = no stat gains. I don't think he's tried it for RD because he can't emulate it (same for PoR), but he's done it for FE6, FE7, and trying FE11 now.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940

Ah. There is the latest tier list. Last time I saw a tier list for FE9, the characters I mentioned were above him and the FE10 tier list was all over the place.

EDIT: HOLD IT, HOLD IT, HOLD IT. That must be a joke list for FE9. Mia second worse character in the game? Callaid(horrible spelling) being the best mage? What the heck? Mia was only a few spots below Zihark (both in high tier), Soren and Ilyana were waaaaaaaay above that horrible pre-promoted sage, and a lot more people were involved in making the list then the short list mentioned.

That ain't the official list. It simply can't be. Way too much changed since the last official one was posted on a few other sites, with some of the tier list creators answering questions. Besides: one of the few mentioned people is smash, who is a complete joke when it comes to tier lists, uses circular logic, and flat out hates Mia and underrates her severely in both games. Thinks Mia should be a whole tier lower then Zihark in FE10, even though in the official list by Serenes Forest she ends up one spot above him, and thinks Mia should be low tier in FE9 even though she ended up only a few spots below Zihark in the official list.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Ah. There is the latest tier list. Last time I saw a tier list for FE9, the characters I mentioned were above him and the FE10 tier list was all over the place.

EDIT: HOLD IT, HOLD IT, HOLD IT. That must be a joke list for FE9. Mia second worse character in the game? Callaid(horrible spelling) being the best mage? What the heck? Mia was only a few spots below Zihark (both in high tier), Soren and Ilyana were waaaaaaaay above that horrible pre-promoted sage, and a lot more people were involved in making the list then the short list mentioned.

That ain't the official list. It simply can't be. Way too much changed since the last official one was posted on a few other sites, with some of the tier list creators answering questions. Besides: one of the few mentioned people is smash, who is a complete joke when it comes to tier lists, uses circular logic, and flat out hates Mia and underrates her severely in both games. Thinks Mia should be a whole tier lower then Zihark in FE10, even though in the official list by Serenes Forest she ends up one spot above him, and thinks Mia should be low tier in FE9 even though she ended up only a few spots below Zihark in the official list.
I don't know if that tier list is official, but it was posted last February, so it must be very recent.

I took a quick look through the first page of the thread as to why Mia is so low. According to the posters, Mia has horrible starting defense and offense (keep in mind that they base the tier list off of Hard Mode, so taking and dealing damage is essential), so even though she may be a beast after some level-ups, she doesn't immediately prove her worth. Another reason not to use her (which thus makes her a bad character) is in Chapter 8, where you apparently get 50 bonus exp points for not using her.

I don't know why the other characters are the way they are, but if you have any qualms with it then I suggest that you go to Serenes Forest and ask why the list is like that.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
They always make the lists of Hard Mode.

There is no way she dropped from high tier to second worse in one list. It must be either a joke, or just a separate group of people making their own tier list. Because that thing is just ********. I'm also highly doubtful about the bonus exp part. The game has been hacked for bexp requirements before, I've never heard of this.

EDIT: found the official one. http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=16443&st=0 Much more logical. What you had there was the very first list made way back, people just kept using it for talking for some reason.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Wow, some ******* made up all those tier lists. Why the crap are they not based on practical use of the characters?

Also PoR Titania wtf nooooo. She's not good. She's an exp hog at the beginning and she can't keep up in stats later in the game, when she has a chance at getting exp.

Boyd is like my favorite unit in PoR but he is NOT at as good as Ike, nor are the others (though also loved Kieran). Or did they just put all the ax wielders at the top for fun?

WTF ROLF LOW TIER? LOL no. Neither is Nasir.

Ilyana should be right with Soren (each time I've played, Ilyana ended up with better stats in everything except shorter a point in speed or two).

Also my girl Nephenee should be high tier. As should Mia. Especially if you give them both vantage and wrath.

metroid1117

Smash Master
They always make the lists of Hard Mode.

There is no way she dropped from high tier to second worse in one list. It must be either a joke, or just a separate group of people making their own tier list. Because that thing is just ********. I'm also highly doubtful about the bonus exp part. The game has been hacked for bexp requirements before, I've never heard of this.

EDIT: found the official one. http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=16443&st=0 Much more logical. What you had there was the very first list made way back, people just kept using it for talking for some reason.
I asked my friend about which tier list was more accurate, and you're right; he said that the one you posted has been more debated upon. However, there is no "official" tier list because anyone can post their own, unlike for Smash.

The 50 bonus exp is for every unit you don't deploy (for example, deploying 10/11 units = 50 bonus exp, 9/11 units = 100 bonus exp).

Wow, some ******* made up all those tier lists. Why the crap are they not based on practical use of the characters?

Also PoR Titania wtf nooooo. She's not good. She's an exp hog at the beginning and she can't keep up in stats later in the game, when she has a chance at getting exp.

Boyd is like my favorite unit in PoR but he is NOT at as good as Ike, nor are the others (though also loved Kieran). Or did they just put all the ax wielders at the top for fun?

WTF ROLF LOW TIER? LOL no. Neither is Nasir.

Ilyana should be right with Soren (each time I've played, Ilyana ended up with better stats in everything except shorter a point in speed or two).

Also my girl Nephenee should be high tier. As should Mia. Especially if you give them both vantage and wrath.
The FE tier list is not made by *******; I don't know what background you have in FE, but I can assure you that the people who make and debate the tier list know what they're saying.

(Note that all of the text below is basically me asking my friend and regurgitating his responses.)

Titania is ranked so high because she comes very early, has great stats, doesn't need to be fed exp, can kill every unit in the beginning, and can keep up with enemy units at endgame.

Kieran is higher than Ike because he has a great defense and offense game and he's mounted, which is a huge advantage in FE9. He also only needs a small investment of bonus exp to become a good unit.

Boyd is higher than Ike because in the beginning, he can counter enemies with 2-hit range and can hit harder. He has almost the same stats as Ike in the beginning, and with some bonus exp he can double enemies like Ike can. Also, Ike can only promote in Chapter 17; this causes Ike to lag behind other units who can promote earlier. (As a side note, a level 11 Boyd destroys everything on Chapter 8; there's only one unit who won't get doubled by him.)

Rolf is low tier because he needs a LOT of bonus exp to get good, and even then he's not amazing. He also cannot counter units from 1-range.

Nasir is low tier because you can only use him for about 5 chapters and has bad mobility.

Mia is not high tier because she's not a solid unit even with bonus exp, she is frail and can't do that much damage in the start, and cannot counter units with two range.

Nephenee isn't high tier because she also has a shaky start even with bonus exp, she doesn't join that early, isn't mounted, and doesn't have a great offensive option.

Note that "investing bonus exp" = boosting the unit up a few levels WITHOUT restarting the game if a crappy level-up happens.

Some other stuff on bonus exp (copy+pasted from our chat, because I'm too lazy to re-phrase it):

Donald: up until right before chapter 8 for example
you get 1500 BEXP just from clear bonuses
11:28 PM and 1 BEXP = 1 EXP or better for units under level 8 IIRC
so 15 free levels for your units
Donald: and then, if you're using ike, boyd, oscar, mia as serious combat units
11:29 PM they get 3-4 levels each or more
Donald: because when you think about it, there's not a whole lot of reason to hoard BEXP unless you plan on giving it to a character joining later in the game
but you could have used it on an earlier joining character instead

(Fun fact: they actually dumbed down the American version of FE9, replacing the "Maniac Mode" in the Japanese version with "Easy Mode".)

By the way, the following threads were made by my friend displaying his hard mode 0% runs of the following games: FE6 (he's the first person to do this, people were doubting that it was even possible), FE7 (he didn't record all the chapters, but he kept a log of sorts), and FE11 (in progress, he's the first person to try this).

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Bleh. I see a few things differently.

I'd have made a list of people who it pays off to work towards leveling up.

BTW it seems obvious now that there are two completely different ways to play the game. I think tier lists would vary widely between the different approaches to the game, which is why I have trouble grasping some of these placements.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Its not only about character potential. Its about finishing the game as fast and effectively possible. Which means mounted units are VERY good because of how they move far and can move again OUT OF COMBAT! (Seriously this is such a big boost to their mediocre caps) and that low level units that need babying (Rolf for example) are harder to maintain while trying to finish the level faster. You can't really use bexp as an excuse cause anyone can be babied with bexp too.

tier list =/= do not use this character, its just which chars will help you finish the game faster and effectively

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
tier list =/= do not use this character, its just which chars will help you finish the game faster and effectively
Indeed.

Titania for example, even though she's an EXP hog in the beginning if you use her too much, is never really bad. The other Paladins won't be out preforming her until around chapter 20ish, at which point they will just be edging her out, and the gap is never huge. If you use her wisely in the beginning, she can help clear out bosses, hold down choke points, or act as a meatshield. I agree she's too high, but not by much.

You also need to remember PEMN, or Personal Experience Means Nothing. They use what the stats should be, based on the growth rates of the character that they have found by hacking the game. For example, my Zihark always does flat out terrible in FE9. Never gets strength or defense basically. It doesn't change what his growths truly are though: I just have bad luck with him.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Wish Ike was like Sedgar though.

Top Bottom