• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What (third-party) newcomer would generate the most hype?

Which character would excite people the most?

• Crash Bandicoot

Votes: 46 31.5%
  • Rayman

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Bomberman

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Lara Croft

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Master Chief

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • Banjo-Kazooie

Votes: 35 24.0%
  • Other

Votes: 29 19.9%

• Total voters

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Well I for one am extremely excited for what we'll see at E3. I think a third party reveal is extremely likely given past events. I'm going to go ahead and call it and say that Crash Bandicoot is going be revealed at this time. I truly believe he's one the few characters that are both feasible as well as capable of generating the most hype. I could be wrong of course. Maybe Nintendo will bypass a third party reveal entirely, but I wouldn't bet on it. Maybe they'll throw me for a loop and announce Lara (who is also an iconic face in gaming), but Crash is one of the few huge mascots that has yet to make it into the game. Either way I think we're in for something exciting.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Probably Phoenix Wright since he's such an icon of gaming now and such a huge deal and some people have desperately wanted him since Brawl was announced. Plus like... nearly all of us who play Smash super passionately and often have played Ace Attorney games from now, and most of us love them.

And despite being a bottom tier, his Ultimate MvC3 appearance and moveset was great.

I think Crash and Rayman are close though, although honestly of those Video Game Generation 5 (Game Boy, PS1, N64, Sega Saturn) debuting characters, Cloud and Snake still overshadows both of them due to just the legacy of Final Fantasy VII/Final Fantasy in general and Metal Gear Solid 1/Metal Gear Solid in general, and they were already in Smash, and their series remain huge while Crash is just now coming back, and Rayman has only been "back" for half a decade (with really only 2 titles).

Phoenix Wright would be the sole Gen 6 (GameCube/PS2/Xbox/Dreamcast/GBA) debuting 3rd party character, and he's probably the biggest handheld console 3rd party star ever. He's also really popular with mobile device gaming fans. Plus so many Phoenix Wright jokes and references are super popular in pop culture and social media.

Master Chief could bring hype yeah, but like... Halo (while IMO coming off a solid game in Halo 5) is not the huge pop culture and box office phenom it was a in the 00's. Crash is finally back, but it hasn't really resonated like the old days. Tomb Raider (Lara Croft) and Rayman are better than ever, but the "newness" is gone. Bomberman was always super niche and likely will never be anything but that. Banjo had 2 games that were fairly big and then he's basically been dead.

Ace Attorney still is gigantic. The initial popularity still remains, and Phoenix Wright is as popular as ever.
I'd be ecstatic if Phoenix made it in. I love mystery games and Ace Attorney is my favorite franchise of them all.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Any well known western third party characters like Kratos or Scorpion IMO. Crash as well too.

CloudedSun

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jay-Explosion
Switch FC
SW 8009 2151 5629
A little bias here, but if you think about it, Sora in Smash would generate a whole lot of hype for people who aren't even in the Smash community. Kingdom Hearts is extremely popular around the world and Kingdom Hearts 3 is coming out a month after. Smash got under KH fans' radar when Cloud was announced, and they're definitely watching now.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Scorpion would generate good controversy and his moveset would scream appeal. Crash would generally complete 3rd party. I was bias on my old posts about him, I support Crash now.

Greyfox22

Smash Apprentice
At this point, I think Sora would generate the most hype. He`s very highly requested both in Japan and America and he`s from one of the biggest series not yet represented in Smash at this point.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I really think it would be Crash, Sora and Master Chief. Crash is a gaming icon, is highly requested, and would excite the casuals too. Sora is similar but add on more popularity and requests from Japan and you got yourself a recipe for hype. Master Chief might break the internet too just because he's Xbox's mascot and most people would not expect him.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Wow y'all really dug up an old one huh? Lol Funny how people were talking about Joker getting in on the first page...

I guess Banjo or Crash most likely but personally if they announced Joker I'd probably yell about it for thirty minutes straight, and I'm not a vocal person, I didn't even yell when they announced Smash 5.
So did you yell for 30 min straight? :grin:

Last edited:

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
I voted for Crash. My step brother wanted Crash in playstation all-stars really bad and was shocked at his lack of inclusion. I think crash being in smash would make up for it ten fold. (Even though he hates the online)

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Honestly, I think it's clearly Master Chief if you consider non-Nintendo circles. The mascot of Microsoft appearing in a Nintendo crossover would be internet breaking.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Another character that would explode the internet: Tetrominoes. Though it'd have to be Tetrominoes or a Tetromino specifically, Tee or another actual character from the Tetris universe would probably just be met with "why wasn't it a Tetromino?"

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Of the options listed, I would definitely say Master Chief. Even with Banjo and Steve, having the Xbox mascot in Smash would be on another level. Everything about Halo is just so unlike anything else we have in Smash. An Xbox exclusive FPS with absolutely zero association with Nintendo. Crash is great and all, but there’s no way he’d break the internet in the same way Chief would.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Of the options listed, I would definitely say Master Chief. Even with Banjo and Steve, having the Xbox mascot in Smash would be on another level. Everything about Halo is just so unlike anything else we have in Smash. An Xbox exclusive FPS with absolutely zero association with Nintendo. Crash is great and all, but there’s no way he’d break the internet in the same way Chief would.
Speaking of huge franchises that have no association with Nintendo, I would love to see a Warcraft character get in Smash. My favorite is Illidan Stormrage but there are tons of characters that would be awesome. I’m not entirely sure whether the Warcraft franchise is bigger than Halo but it’s definitely right up there with it. The same can be said for both Starcraft and Diablo to a lesser extent.

Another hugely popular game that has tons of really cool character designs is League of Legends. That game does at least get some attention around here with multiple support threads but I never really hear it mentioned when talking about huge characters that would generate a ton of hype like Crash or Master Chief.

Last edited:

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Speaking of huge franchises that have no association with Nintendo, I would love to see a Warcraft character get in Smash. My favorite is Illidan Stormrage but there are tons of characters that would be awesome. I’m not entirely sure whether the Warcraft franchise is bigger than Halo but it’s definitely right up there with it. The same can be said for both Starcraft and Diablo to a lesser extent.

Another hugely popular game that has tons of really cool character designs is League of Legends. That game does at least get some attention around here with multiple support threads but I never really hear it mentioned when talking about huge characters that would generate a ton of hype like Crash or Master Chief.
I've hear of this League of Leagends you speak of but what is thiss "War- Craft". Is that some sort of inferior League?

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
It really depends on what part of the fanbase we're talking about here.
Smash speculators would be super happy at Crash being in the game because he's been rumored and leaked for so damn long, it would be a relief for him to just be revealed.
Smash fans that don't care as much about speculation would get the most hype at a character who has been "deconfirmed" by a fan rule (i.e. Kratos, Leon, CJ, Waluigi)
Casual Smash fans and even non-fans would probably be most hype at someone obvious yet underrated in speculation, like Eggman (without Sephiroth no one would be talking about him), Lara Croft, Tetris, or Q*bert.
The only character I can think of that would generate a ton of hype in each part of the fanbase would be Waluigi.

Top Bottom