• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What (third-party) newcomer would generate the most hype?

Which character would excite people the most?

• Crash Bandicoot

Votes: 46 31.5%
  • Rayman

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Bomberman

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Lara Croft

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Master Chief

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • Banjo-Kazooie

Votes: 35 24.0%
  • Other

Votes: 29 19.9%

• Total voters

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Let's see...

We've had:
The initial surprise with Snake
The impossible fantasy of 90s kids everywhere with Sonic
MEGA HYPE with MEGA MAN
The daddy of all video games with Pac-Man
Mr. Fighting games himself joing this fighting game with Ryu
Cloud, a character whose game never appeared on a Nintendo console and was a total shock(and also ridiculously popular)
and the poll winner that was Bayonetta

I honestly can't see Rayman or Bomberman generating as big a hype as the above(except MAYBE Bayonetta, but that was the poll) even though they are popular and personally they're the two I'd want.

Lara Croft or Crash(or Spyro) as they're the Playstation's mascots are a possibility, or maybe Banjo-Kazooie due to Nintendo fans fond memories of the duo prior to Microsoft buying the IP...but if they returned would they sport the classic Ninty look or be contractually bound to use the old Nuts and Bolts model?

Astraltar

Smash Apprentice
I think Alucard (of Castlevania) would be a big surprise and draw a lot of veteran gamers in.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Cloud, a character whose game never appeared on a Nintendo console and was a total shock(and also ridiculously popular)
HARK! A minor factual error on the internet! This looks like a job for CAPTAIN PEDANTIC!

Cloud has appeared in games on Nintendo platforms, though not as a main character.

Examples include: Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories, Therhythm Dissidia Final Fantasy, and I'm fairly certain, one or more of the Final Fantasy tactics games.
But his debut game didn't which is main point.

CAPTAIN PEDANTIC AWAY!

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
HARK! A minor factual error on the internet! This looks like a job for CAPTAIN PEDANTIC!

Cloud has appeared in games on Nintendo platforms, though not as a main character.

Examples include: Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories, Therhythm Dissidia Final Fantasy, and I'm fairly certain, one or more of the Final Fantasy tactics games.

CAPTAIN PEDANTIC AWAY!
*squeal* Oh thank heaven you came!!!

Last edited:

Tonydrake

Smash Apprentice
For me it's between Crash Bandicoot, Lara Croft, Simon Belmont and Rayman

I love all 4 of them and are by far my most wanted third-party characters. If even just one of them makes in to Smash Switch I will be completely satisfied. With more than one I would go crazy xdd

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

CAPTAIN PEDANTIC AWAY!
The irony is I thought about including Kingdom Hearts as a side note, but figured no one would care enough to worry about that factoid.

I stand corrected. *shakes fist* curse you Captain Pedantic, foiled again!

domriver

Smash Lord
for me the following i would like as 3rd party characters:
Geno
Dr. Robotnik
Bomberman
Snake (returning character)
from the Bayonetta series - Balder

Morbi

Scavenger
Snake would probably be THE biggest; however, that is somewhat cheating as he is a veteran. In terms of new potential third-party, I would have to imagine that Banjo would be the obvious choice.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
Crash, but I think Lara Croft would be a lot more exciting & unexpected. Personally, I've never been super excited about mascot characters like Crash, Black Mage, etc...

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I think Banjo would cause the biggest hype around the internet, not just because he's a beloved character, but also because it'd kickstart a revival for the series.

Personally I wouldn't care a whole lot, Crash is the one who I'd like the most, but I don't think he'd be quite as big a deal in general.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

In terms of global recognition I think Crash trumps the others listed, but in terms of pure hype alone, I picked Master Chief due to the shock factor of Xbox's biggest character joining Smash.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Why wouldn't he?
Because he's already had his revival, Crash is alive and very well atm. If he got into Smash there'd be a ton of hype, but it wouldn't be an enormous surprise with the Switch port on its way.

Banjo-Kazooie fans on the contrary have been through a lot of ****, not only have they waited for a proper game for ages, but they also got a slap to the face with Nuts and Bolts. I'm not saying that Banjo is necessarily bigger than Crash, but the circumstances would make it one of the biggest additions Smash has ever had, and I think the surprise element is also a huge factor in making it even more hype.

I'm not trying to undermine how hype Crash would be, it's more that I think people underestimate how hyped fans would get for Banjo. I have never played a Banjo-Kazooie game either while I absolutely love Crash, so it's not any bias on my part either.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I'm going to put my bias aside and say Sora. I don't want him in but, he's Kingdom Hearts. It has a fan base. I don't even need to note how popular the series is.

I feel like people are underestimating Spyro though. Imagine Spyro confirmed with all of his content representing the original trilogy. Also, I feel like Spyro has potential for a more fun move set with already a fun design. Spyro would generate hype of realization that would take you back to the days of when you first played, Spyro.

Spyro, is a legacy character, has personality and, is a dragon.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I honestly believe that, in the video-game world, Master Chief would be the one bringing the most hype, followed by Doomguy, because they are pretty unexpected, the same way Snake was.

D

Deleted member

I feel like people are underestimating Spyro though. Imagine Spyro confirmed with all of his content representing the original trilogy. Also, I feel like Spyro has potential for a more fun move set with already a fun design. Spyro would generate hype of realization that would take you back to the days of when you first played, Spyro.

Spyro, is a legacy character, has personality and, is a dragon.
As unlikely as I feel he is, I do think Spyro could generate a decent amount of hype (in the west anyway, not so much Japan since he never took off there and the vast majority of Spyro and Skylanders games haven't been localized there) from those who grew up with his older games and possibly even some who were introduced to him through Skylanders. Probably not as much hype as Crash, but it'd definitely be there.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Earthworm jim and Scorpion anyone?

But if we looking into the most WT* reaction that would crush the internet it's probably someone like Bubsy, Cooking Mama, CATS from zero wing

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Probably Phoenix Wright since he's such an icon of gaming now and such a huge deal and some people have desperately wanted him since Brawl was announced. Plus like... nearly all of us who play Smash super passionately and often have played Ace Attorney games from now, and most of us love them.

And despite being a bottom tier, his Ultimate MvC3 appearance and moveset was great.

I think Crash and Rayman are close though, although honestly of those Video Game Generation 5 (Game Boy, PS1, N64, Sega Saturn) debuting characters, Cloud and Snake still overshadows both of them due to just the legacy of Final Fantasy VII/Final Fantasy in general and Metal Gear Solid 1/Metal Gear Solid in general, and they were already in Smash, and their series remain huge while Crash is just now coming back, and Rayman has only been "back" for half a decade (with really only 2 titles).

Phoenix Wright would be the sole Gen 6 (GameCube/PS2/Xbox/Dreamcast/GBA) debuting 3rd party character, and he's probably the biggest handheld console 3rd party star ever. He's also really popular with mobile device gaming fans. Plus so many Phoenix Wright jokes and references are super popular in pop culture and social media.

Master Chief could bring hype yeah, but like... Halo (while IMO coming off a solid game in Halo 5) is not the huge pop culture and box office phenom it was a in the 00's. Crash is finally back, but it hasn't really resonated like the old days. Tomb Raider (Lara Croft) and Rayman are better than ever, but the "newness" is gone. Bomberman was always super niche and likely will never be anything but that. Banjo had 2 games that were fairly big and then he's basically been dead.

Ace Attorney still is gigantic. The initial popularity still remains, and Phoenix Wright is as popular as ever.

Last edited:

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
Earthworm jim and Scorpion anyone?

But if we looking into the most WT* reaction that would crush the internet it's probably someone like Bubsy, Cooking Mama, CATS from zero wing
I'd actually like to see Scorpion. The MK franchise actually has quite a bit of history with Nintendo. Unfortunately, I feel like many Nintendo fans would be oppose to this. I'm also not sure how popular MK is in Japan. Still, I thing he'd be a huge shocker.

UserKev

Smash Champion
As unlikely as I feel he is, I do think Spyro could generate a decent amount of hype (in the west anyway, not so much Japan since he never took off there and the vast majority of Spyro and Skylanders games haven't been localized there) from those who grew up with his older games and possibly even some who were introduced to him through Skylanders. Probably not as much hype as Crash, but it'd definitely be there.
I personally don't see Crash having an appealing move set. What can he bring? I feel like Spyro would be a more colorful rep. He's already a dragon, that, gives him a familiar pass that would let him eventually grow on the eastern fans like how Marth grew on us. A lot of us didn't know who Captain Falcon was before Smash and this could highly possibly work for Spyro. Spyro has better Smash stage material, better themes as far as fighting to that can be easily remixed, and better options for assist trophy, Hunter, Sheila, Sgt. Byrd.

nth

Smash Rookie
Sora or Chosen Undead (both games coming out this year, one on the Switch) would generate the most hype from me.
I do agree that the Persona 5 guy would be pretty hype, and I've never played a Persona game in my life.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I have to go with Banjo-Kazooie, because of the Rare connection. Banjo is like...the next dream character for Smash. If Microsoft didn't buy Rare, they'd have been in Brawl for sure. So many Nintendo fans would cry many tears of joy if this happened

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I voted Other. Knowing Sakurai, if we do get another third party character, I fancy it will be somebody totally unexpected. He has a knack for doing that.
I cannot see us *not* getting another third party character.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
Probably Crash of the choices listed, but I'm not sure there are any 3rd parties left that can match the hype of past reveals for Snake, Sonic, Mega Man and Cloud. All of those caused meltdowns.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Of that list, probably Crash but Lara Croft shouldn't be discounted either

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I would really love to see Crash in Smash Bros.

However I can't stand when characters get bandwagoned.

No one really got behind Crash for Smash Wii U, all of a sudden insane trilogy is coming to the Switch and everyone jumps on him like he has to happen.

Huge push for Rayman on the Wii U, after the fake leak and the trophy etc.
Now no one cares so much about Rayman.

Crash would be awesome, any Western Company owned third party would be pretty hype, as it's something that hasn't happened yet.

Who would be the most hype?

Idk Crash a former Sony mascot or Banjo a current Microsoft IP?

Banjo would be totally unexpected but Crash is just cool.

Shout out to Earthworm Jim and Spyro.

An indie third party wouldn't be hype at all for me.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I would really love to see Crash in Smash Bros.

However I can't stand when characters get bandwagoned.

No one really got behind Crash for Smash Wii U, all of a sudden insane trilogy is coming to the Switch and everyone jumps on him like he has to happen.

Huge push for Rayman on the Wii U, after the fake leak and the trophy etc.
Now no one cares so much about Rayman.

Crash would be awesome, any Western Company owned third party would be pretty hype, as it's something that hasn't happened yet.

Who would be the most hype?

Idk Crash a former Sony mascot or Banjo a current Microsoft IP?

Banjo would be totally unexpected but Crash is just cool.

Shout out to Earthworm Jim and Spyro.

An indie third party wouldn't be hype at all for me.
Man I love this post. Take an up vote.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I have to go with Master Chief on this one. Just imagine seeing the Smash slice, the screen is dark and like thunder in the distance, the methodical eerie Halo theme song beings to play...

SonicMario

Smash Master
Out of the choices in the poll. Banjo-Kazooie would be the biggest deal.

Crash and Rayman are considered some of the most likely 3rd Party characters. I wouldn't be surprised if at least Rayman showed up in the Base game. Crash meanwhile will be a strong contender for DLC. So if they're in the game the excitement will be there surely, but they wouldn't be entirely unexpected. I mean after we got Cloud, Ryu, and Bayonetta all after another these are hardly farfetched.

Bomberman would have some hype though some grumbles from the obvious that Konami didn't bring Snake back. Snake returning arguably would be more exciting because without Kojima it's hard seeing it happen.

Lara Croft could certainly be a dark horse, but I think Square would push their RPG franchises that actually have been on Nintendo more then Tomb Raider.

Master Chief as absolutely bonkers that would be. Would still be rather questionable as that pushes the boundaries to famous in gaming altogether. At least Cloud arguably had an excuse that FInal Fantasy had a long history with Nintendo. Even if he represents the first game after Square broke up relations with Nintendo in the mid-90's. The excitement would be more like Microsoft fans wondering how the heck this happened.

Banjo would basically achieve some of what Master Chief's reaction would be but just a little more. Reminder that Banjo Kazooie was in Melee's request list. So it's almost like had Rare stayed with Nintendo in the early 2000's. Banjo may have at least gotten in for Brawl. So for many fans of the ol' N64 Banjo-Kazooie games this would be like a long time coming. And a seemingly impossible dream because of copyright made real. It'd be the inclusion that makes Smash Bros. the one game to transcend console wars from both past, present, and future.

Different characters will bring different types of hype.

Master Chief, Lara Croft and characters of that ilk would obviously be exciting, but have a "wtf was not expecting that" type of hype, where as Crash, Bomberman, Rayman, etc would be considered less surprising, they seemingly have less obstacles to make it into Smash and are more expected, but would still be exciting inclusions none the less.

Banjo would fall somewhere in the middle, would be coming from the clouds and the duo is not as established as some of the names on that list but still incredibly popular and beloved for a series which has laid dormant for a while.

Out of those listed, Crash, with Master Chief and Banjo in second and third respectively.

Last edited:

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
I voted "Other" because there is one actually kind of likley 3rd party not listed that would bring an absolute ton of hype: Dragonborn from TES V, Skyrim.

Skyrim has an exceedingly large, far, wide and deep fan base, much of which lurks in the woodwork. It's quite popular even in passing, and even many non-nerdy non-gamer standard issue people have a familiarity with it. I don't buy into this notion that people are tired of Skyrim being dragged out for another spin time and time again, that people are supposedly "sick of the marketing push" and that it somehow detracts from it's relevancy or validation as a modern gaming icon. Many folks I talk to have many fond memories of Skyrim, and many of them are people who wouldn't or don't otherwise play many video games. Now that Skyrim is on the Switch, a new core has opened up to the fan base, and older veterans are revisiting Skyrim and enjoying it as a semi-mobile Switch title, much the same way as DOOM. Furthermore, Bethesda and Nintendo are already cooperating with Zelda content in Skyrim, it's not a great leap to get from there to Smash.

In closing, Dragonborn in Smash would tap into a vast, far-reaching fanbase, the hype of which would rival or even exceed the "Master Chief out of nowhere" shock.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I have to go with Master Chief on this one. Just imagine seeing the Smash slice, the screen is dark and like thunder in the distance, the methodical eerie Halo theme song beings to play...
Holy **** I already supported him and I didn't even consider the Halo theme making it in!

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
If mii fighters return with costumes - I can see Bethesda getting a lot of love and their rep out in that way.

————

Don’t think crash or banjo are likely - crash is not a Japanese character & Sakurai tends to view smash as a celebration of Japanese games - maybe the bandicoot can crash that all down though. I’m not sure about

Phil Spencer just replied “yep” to the possibility of banjo, which makes me think Banjo is not in Smash if it comes out this year. Otherwise he wouldn’t have said anything.

I am applying this to Chief too, as I just don’t really see it (would floor me then for sure!)

Lara has the same issue Crash has as she is not of eastern game culture. However she is owned by Square, Nintendo already has a relationship w Squre bc of Cloud so working Lara in would likely be easier. Lara is also unlike Banjo (and to some extent Crash) bc she is a gaming icon and has remained relevant and recognizable.

——-

Can see an announcement for Rayman in the game faking us out by making us believe that the Rabbids are playable, but Ray comes in and stops em.

———

Think Geno is a definite possibility (see above) and would be a big deal to those who care.
I think if Square did get another single rep, it would be Geno over Lara.
——-

Bomberman is pretty big in Japan and he just blasted his way onto the switch. Bomberman is an Iconic character and one of the oldest characters around.

With Konami getting Bomberman involved, I see a Castlevania rep harkening back to the classic NES/SNES days as DLC.

Snake could be brought back into it with the inclusion of Konami franchises. Needs to be very tasteful to avoid the internet Konami rage

————

The third party characters I find most likely options are below by company:

Capcom: Monster Hunter
Square: Geno, Lara
Sega: Tails/Eggman/Shadow (cant decide)
Konami: Bombermsn, Belmont & Snake
Other: Rayman

farvin111

Smash Journeyman
Don’t think crash or banjo are likely - crash is not a Japanese character & Sakurai tends to view smash as a celebration of Japanese games - maybe the bandicoot can crash that all down though. I’m not sure about
Keep in mind that Crash is one of the very few western characters that actually has the distinction of being popular in Japan too. I'd say he's the only western character who can get a pass for not being a japan native.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I voted "Other" because there is one actually kind of likley 3rd party not listed that would bring an absolute ton of hype: Dragonborn from TES V, Skyrim.

Skyrim has an exceedingly large, far, wide and deep fan base, much of which lurks in the woodwork. It's quite popular even in passing, and even many non-nerdy non-gamer standard issue people have a familiarity with it. I don't buy into this notion that people are tired of Skyrim being dragged out for another spin time and time again, that people are supposedly "sick of the marketing push" and that it somehow detracts from it's relevancy or validation as a modern gaming icon. Many folks I talk to have many fond memories of Skyrim, and many of them are people who wouldn't or don't otherwise play many video games. Now that Skyrim is on the Switch, a new core has opened up to the fan base, and older veterans are revisiting Skyrim and enjoying it as a semi-mobile Switch title, much the same way as DOOM. Furthermore, Bethesda and Nintendo are already cooperating with Zelda content in Skyrim, it's not a great leap to get from there to Smash.

In closing, Dragonborn in Smash would tap into a vast, far-reaching fanbase, the hype of which would rival or even exceed the "Master Chief out of nowhere" shock.
I have to agree with this. The Dragonborn screams iconic. His typical but brilliant design he gets away with, the way he shouts. Many Smash fans are in denial but he really does have what it takes.

culumon

Smash Apprentice
The thing with hype surrounding third party characters is that it's very much rooted in what the character symbolises, and as it stands there are precious few 3rd party characters left that would symbolise something truly new or shocking. I'm surprised Crash is in first place here - don't get me wrong, the prospect of him going toe-to-toe with Mario is incredibly exciting. But thinking back on all the 3rd party announcements, the standout ones were those which broke new ground. Snake set the precedent in the first place. Sonic marked a platfoming mascot rival to Mario joining. Mega Man was a long-neglected franchise with ties to Nintendo deep enough to mark him as an honourary Nintendo character. Cloud was a character who was symbolically Sony's, and had never had his parent game on a Nintendo platform (even if he made cameos in Chain of Memories and Theatrhythm). As exciting as it was to have the inclusion of Pac-Man, Ryu and Bayonetta, it would be disingenuous to argue that their announcements were nearly as groundbreaking - they were all characters that were both relevant and had long-standing ties to Nintendo. People would get hyped for Crash, certainly. It would be huge! But only as huge as another one of Mario's platforming mascot rivals and another character that's symbolically Sony's joining the fray. Crash has had main series releases on Nintendo consoles since 2002, and N Sane Trilogy has made him relevant again, so he doesn't cover those grounds either. The character that would generate the most hype would have to be one that covers new ground entirely.

The issue comes with the fact that there aren't many characters left that can do that. Of the frontrunners, I feel like the ones that come closest to that are Banjo-Kazooie. They have the "long-neglected franchise with ties to Nintendo deep enough to mark him as an honourary Nintendo character" factor going for them while also being owned by the competition - they're not just symbolically Microsoft's, they are Microsoft's. Sonic and Crash may have been the competition a long time ago, but they're not anymore, they've been at home on Nintendo consoles for years. Banjo, on the other hand, would represent a character from one of Nintendo's current competitors making it in, as well as being a homecoming for the mascot that Nintendo lost, which is a claim I don't think any other character has claim to. A Microsoft character making it in in general would be a shocker, but the bear and bird are that and so much more.

Ultimately though I think the only thing that could really top Cloud at this point is the final frontier for Smash - a "4th party character", AKA someone who didn't originate in a video game. And in that realm, well... there's no beating around the bush. Like it or not, the concept of Goku being in Smash has a reputation that no other 4th party character has. There's a reason he crops up in fangame after fangame, mod after mod. There's a reason SSBWiki's April Fools this year was an article pretending he's a character. Sonic, Mega Man, Cloud - murmurs of their inclusion have persisted in this fandom since Melee, and Goku's the only other character whose talk carries the same ubiquity and weight to it. The only issue is the fact that Sakurai has already confirmed that 4th party characters will likely never be a thing in Smash, and on those grounds I seriously doubt Goku will ever actually make it into the game. The hype peaked with Cloud, and I don't think that's necessarily a problem. It doesn't negate the butterflies in my stomach that this series and its character reveals give me, and it doesn't change what individual characters represent to you. That's the magic of Smash - every newcomer is going to be someone's most wanted character, and that's the important part.

Top Bottom