• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What (third-party) newcomer would generate the most hype?

Which character would excite people the most?

• Crash Bandicoot

Votes: 46 31.5%
  • Rayman

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Bomberman

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Lara Croft

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Master Chief

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • Banjo-Kazooie

Votes: 35 24.0%
  • Other

Votes: 29 19.9%

• Total voters

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
The release of characters like Sonic and Mega-man was the stuff of legends (only slightly joking), but who else is there? What characters are left that would make smashers lose their collective ****?

While we seem to have almost exhausted the sort of third party characters that create this sort of reaction, there are still some big names out there amongst gaming's greatest icons. I've listed who I think are the most well known, but please let me know if I've forgotten someone. Is there some major player even greater than these that I've overlooked?

Keep in mind that this isn't necessarily about which is more likely (although we can discuss this), but who you think people would be the most excited about and why.

EDIT: And I'm specifically asking about third party characters originating from video games. So please... no Shrek.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Of those listed, Crash would be the most hype but I think an indie character like Shante or Shovel Knight would be super hype too.

Kinda like a non-obnoxious youtuber scoring a movie cameo.

Velvet Rebirth

Smash Apprentice
I guess Banjo or Crash most likely but personally if they announced Joker I'd probably yell about it for thirty minutes straight, and I'm not a vocal person, I didn't even yell when they announced Smash 5.

slambros

Smash Ace
I voted for Master Chief because I think his inclusion would shake the very core of the entire industry in a way Bomberman or Crash wouldn't. The Xbox One didn't sell very well in Japan, so I feel like Master Chief would be a loud statement about unification and friendly competition between the big three. That'd probably ignite more flames toward Sony's refusal to implement cross-play.

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I guess Banjo or Crash most likely but personally if they announced Joker I'd probably yell about it for thirty minutes straight, and I'm not a vocal person, I didn't even yell when they announced Smash 5.
Lol! Wait, are you talking about Batman’s Joker? :confused:

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Honestly, not sure. Nothing will ever top Snake in Smash; not even Mega Man was close. Cloud was close.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
If we're talking about most hype from everyone regardless of intention to buy the game, it has to be Master Chief. Halo has such a ridiculously massive fanbase that isn't reliant on 2 decade old games.

If we're talking about hype among Switch owners or potential Switch owners, I'd probably say Crash beats out Banjo because of the rerelease.

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
Honestly? Mickey Mouse. No fictional character on the planet holds the widespread appeal that Mickey Mouse does, and his reveal would put the surprise of Cloud's debut to shame.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Honestly? Mickey Mouse. No fictional character on the planet holds the widespread appeal that Mickey Mouse does, and his reveal would put the surprise of Cloud's debut to shame.
Heh. I suppose I should've specified that I was asking about third party characters originating from video games...

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Of the list, I voted Lara Croft, because she is a hugely legacy character who popularized her genre.
And because there is still an affinity in entertainment industries (of which Video Games are the largest growing) for sexualized female characters.
I also think that her new movie will assist this, since it would likely mean she would be announced soon, and hype in the next month tastes better than hype months away.

Of those listed, Crash would be the most hype but I think an indie character like Shante or Shovel Knight would be super hype too.

Kinda like a non-obnoxious youtuber scoring a movie cameo.
I feel by definition, an indie characer is generally less available to the masses, and wouldnt be as hype for the bigger mass.

I think the biggest hype would come from Steve from Mine Craft, or the birds from Angry Birds.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
The thing about suggestions like 'Steve from Minecraft' or 'Angry Bird' is that they're well known, but nobody loves the characters, they're icons but not hype generators. Sure, everyone will know 'that's Minecraft guy' or 'that's Angry Birds' but nobody's then going to be excited that they're in the game.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
I rly don't care about him being in Smash or not but Crash. It'd be, in a lesser scale, the PS equivalent of a rival-like character like Sonic.

With that said, I don't think any 3rd party will ever top Sonic in Brawl. It's already hard to top Snake, Mega Man and Pac-Man

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The thing about suggestions like 'Steve from Minecraft' or 'Angry Bird' is that they're well known, but nobody loves the characters, they're icons but not hype generators. Sure, everyone will know 'that's Minecraft guy' or 'that's Angry Birds' but nobody's then going to be excited that they're in the game.
Well, I would be excited for the characters and dynamics they would bring, so saying "no one" is in itself already false.
It sounds like you wouldnt be excited, and I understand that, because they aren't legacy characters.
But Minecraft and Angry Birds, being massively appealing to a very non Smash base, would appeal to people who may not even know who are Cloud or Ryu.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Crash or Master Chief

Bomberman would be the least hype of those picks by far.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Well, I would be excited for the characters and dynamics they would bring, so saying "no one" is in itself already false.
It sounds like you wouldnt be excited, and I understand that, because they aren't legacy characters.
But Minecraft and Angry Birds, being massively appealing to a very non Smash base, would appeal to people who may not even know who are Cloud or Ryu.
Ok, fine, sorry I used 'nobody', when I really meant 'comparatively fewer people, by (IMO), a significant margin'.

Thing is, are you excited from a Smash perspective, or as a fan of the series?

Because it's easy to say you're excited about how they would play and their mechanics, but that's because you're a Smash fan, not necessarily because you're a Minecraft or Angry Birds fan. I'd love to see how Sakurai could turn Tetris L Block into a playable character, and lord knows it's a significant enough game to be included, but I'm not going to be hyped for a chance to finally play Tetris L Block in Smash, for him to finally face off against the other gaming greats.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Because it's easy to say you're excited about how they would play and their mechanics, but that's because you're a Smash fan, not necessarily because you're a Minecraft or Angry Birds fan. I'd love to see how Sakurai could turn Tetris L Block into a playable character, and lord knows it's a significant enough game to be included, but I'm not going to be hyped for a chance to finally play Tetris L Block in Smash, for him to finally face off against the other gaming greats.
I'd be excited because Angry Birds would allow me to take Smash bros to a significant number of my "mobile only" friends, and introduce them to my absolute favorite game. I know relatively few console gamers in real life nowadays, and having Angry Birds in would literally allow me to take the game to anyone and say "hey, look, even your character is in," in a way that only characters like Pacman allowed me to do in the past.

Angry Birds and Steve literally open up new gamers to the idea of Smash. I recon, not many other third party characters would do this to nearly as strong of a degree.
And as all characters, especially from new games, and third parties, bring something very new to the table, I would also be quite hyped from how unique they would be. So, I would also be very hyped about the gameplay possibilities. New series being represented means that the vocabulary of the gameplay in that world will make a new moveset, and it is always pretty special.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
But as I said before, people don't play Angry Birds for the Angry Bird, and people don't play Minecraft for Steve, they play them because the game itself is appealing to them, which is why their enthusiasm is far less 'transferable' than a character that people actually care about outside of the realm of their game. If you care about the style and personality of a character then you're far more likely to enjoy them in whatever context they're in, whereas if you just care about the game that they're from then you're only likely to care about them in that game.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
It'd be Banjo or Crash.

Crash as an icon meeting Sonic and Mario would be major.

But Banjo coming "home" to Nintendo after a 13 year absence would be about as significant.

----
Aside from those two, I would say Mickey Mouse. I can't think of a bigger name in all of fiction (who also has a video game resume that's significant enough).

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
Depends, if you are talking about in general what everyone would be more hyped it will probably be Crash.
If you mean character that would hype ME more, then I would say Plok, a character that nobody remembers today but it have a special place in my heart.

Oh Plok... nobody remembers you except me.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Angry Birds less relevant these days?

I see more people playing Candy Crush in the last few years on their phones than Angry Birds.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Out of those listed, I feel that Rayman is by far the most likely. Had a trophy in Smash 4, and Nintendo worked directly with Ubisoft with Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle. I'd almost be surprised if he didn't make it in.

But the one 3rd Party listed that I think would get the largest positive/least negative reaction would be Banjo & Kazooie.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Out of those listed, I feel that Rayman is by far the most likely. Had a trophy in Smash 4, and Nintendo worked directly with Ubisoft with Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle. I'd almost be surprised if he didn't make it in.

But the one 3rd Party listed that I think would get the largest positive/least negative reaction would be Banjo & Kazooie.
>Smash Switch came out
>Peach Rabbid as playable character
>Rayman still a trophy

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Angry Birds less relevant these days?

I see more people playing Candy Crush in the last few years on their phones than Angry Birds.
Yeah, they shot themselves in the foot by making AB2 pay-to-win and shoving AB1 so full of ads that it's practically unplayable. I was never a fan, but it always sucks when that kind of thing happens.

NessSaysOkay

Smash Apprentice
I feel Banjo more than Crash, just cause no he has history with nintendo. Master Chief might be way bigger, but Banjo would resonate with more Smash fans. I'd pick Banjo personally, though besides him, I'd love Quote from Cave Story

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Crash or Master Chief

Bomberman would be the least hype of those picks by far.
Idk honestly. Plenty of people still love Bomberman, but he arguably isn’t as big as the others. He still holds a special place in many older gamer’s hearts including my own though...

dezeray112

Smash Hero
It's pretty hard to say at the moment as I'm always excited to see which third party characters will make it in Smash.

For now, I'm going with someone from Atlus between someone from the Persona series or Jack Frost.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Honestly? Everyone talks about crash but NOBODY mentions spyro. If that rumoured remake in the same vain as crash is true, oh boy.
That's actually quite true. I'll be honest, I have no idea how relevant he is in Skylanders, but if even some of that series' success translates to recognition for him then he'd be pretty big with the combined fandom of both the older gamers who grew up on the PlayStation and younger players who got into the Skylanders thing.

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Honestly? Everyone talks about crash but NOBODY mentions spyro. If that rumoured remake in the same vain as crash is true, oh boy.
Because he has literally the same origin as crash and now is from the same company but is a level below him. Spyro is not getting in before Crash. If you want Spyro, you should support Crash first.

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Master Chief would be the one that would cause the most noise. (He's pretty much seen as the mascot of Xbox)

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I hate Spyro's design.
Which one?
Literally everyone hates his skylanders' look (and for a good reason) and i assume you're talking about it.

Rest assured though, if Spyro ever get in i'm pretty sure they will choose his original appearance and not Skylanders'.

Last edited:
Top Bottom