• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What things from Smash 64/Melee/Brawl would you like to see in Smash 5 that were not in Smash 4?

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
By things, I mean music, stages, trophies, items, features, characters, anything really. What things would you like to see in Smash 5 that were not in Smash 4, but were in the games before?

For me, I would like to see returning retro trophies from Melee such as Balloon Fighter and Mach Rider, whose trophies were not in the games that followed for some reason. Also, I would like to see stage based trophies from Melee like Mute City.

Speaking of stages, I would like to see Peach's Castle from Melee and the Fountain of Dreams from the same game come back as stages in Smash 5. For music, there are lots of options, but I would personally like to hear this in the Battlefield stage.

I would also like to see Board the Platforms come back.

What about you guys? What things from past games not in Smash 4 would you like to see in Smash 5?

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
-Some stages (Fountain of Dreams, Fourside, Yoshi's Story, Saffron City, Yoshi's Island Brawl, PictoChat)
-Wolf, Ice Climbers, Snake, and why not Pichu
-More original trophy designs akin to Melee
-The actual Classic Mode
-Melee's break the targets
-Online multi-man/home run contest we had in Brawl
-Coin Launcher. Better than Lottery and Trophy Rush. Keep the store, however.

Mafew

Smash Rookie
Ice climbers and possibly a nerfed form of wobbling.

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
Here's some things I wanna see return, off the top of my head:

I want to see my boy Wolf, as well as the Ice Climbers and Snake coming back.
Also another SSE-style adventure mode with cutscenes would be sick, and I'd like it if the levels were based on actual Nintendo locations like in Melee's adventure mode.
An individual Break the Targets stage for each character would also be nice, as well as Board the Platforms and Race to the Finish return.
Some stages not in Sm4sh I wanna see in 5mash are Saffron City, Peach's Castle (from Melee), Great Bay, Big Blue, Fourside, Spear Pillar, Summit and Shadow Moses Island (if the impossible happens and Snake comes back).
Finally, I'd love it if the Trophy Tussle events from Melee came back.

Last edited:

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Oh! Such a nice thread ♥

I would love too see some old pokéball pokemons returning
I love Onix and Beedrill soo much

Some returning itens like the parasol, flipper, red shell, fan, cracker launcher, explosive eggs :troll:

I want stickers back! Even if them won't have some functionality

I want a adventure mode, I just don't have sure if I want a Melee or a Brawl a la Subspace one (pr a mix of both)

Classic mode I wish it do be more like the N64 one

Also I think they need to reinvent All-Star mode

Break the Targets stages specific for each character could be really complicated at this point. Maybe they could return it for series. I din't like the Brawl one. Also Board the Platforms was pretty neat

I want Event matches back BUT without difficulty levels. Just make them harder through the more you open

I want them to make a better trophy buying system.
I loved coin laucnher more than Trophy Rush

Also, please change the Challenge system. I don't know why but I don't like the way they are making them

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
Some stages though not that many as most of the good ones have been used already.
Wolf (because he's the Star Fox antagonist)
Young Link (as both Link and Toon Link deserve new movesets and Young Link is a classic Zelda character)
Pichu (With major buffs of course)
Ice Climbers (duh)
Squirtle, but not the Trainer (As he is a famous Pokemon)
Collectible CD's
More collectibles in general
Transformation characters
Wavedashing
A more gritty theme (Like Brawl and to a lesser extent Melee)
A story mode
An adventure mode
Mr. Resetti assist trophy
Melee/Smash 64 classic mode bonus games
Boss Fights
All songs from all previous games

Enchess

Smash Lord
Things that seem vaguely possible, if unlikely:
Trophy Tussle (Absolute best events)
Board the Platforms (I actually prefer this to break the targets)
Character specific break the targets
Real classic mode (I'm talking 64 barely-any-variation classic)
Melee style adventure mode (SSE was too long with too little variety)
Wolf (too much Star Fox? Fine, cut Falco instead then)
Collectible CD's
Strange unlock conditions (like time ending in 2 in Adventure mode for Luigi in Melee)
Kirby getting what are now side-B's for some characters in 64 (copy shouldn't ALWAYS be neutral-B that gets copied)

Bonus Round of things I really want that'll never happen:
Convincing online urban legends about secret stages and characters
Happy Together commercial makes a return
Melee-esque intro
Return to toys instead of trophies like in 64
Bosses that function more like playable characters (Giga Bowser)

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
Unique Target Test stages (plus some b****** good new music that can rival Melee's)
Add back the "Brrrring ha" from Yoshi's down B
The actually good tournament mode
A unique theme for Master Hand (like in 64)

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
Target Test with unique stages needs to return, Target Blast was a pile of hot garbage that should've never existed in the first place.
Also, either a Melee style adventure mode or another story mode that's better than SSE (Smash Run enemies instead of the weird original stuff from Brawl, and more recognizable Nintendo locations aside from the Halberd and Dedede's Castle rather than generic plains, lake, cave, and other stuff) would be greatly appreciated (don't get me started on the mess that is Smash Tour).

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
- Ice Climbers and Wolf
- Board the Platform
- Adventure mode like Melee's
- Tournament mode (can watch all CPU play)
- Certain stages to return as past stages (Fountain of Dreams, Kongo Jungle, etc)

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
From 64:
-Saffron City and MK64
-The hit sound effects. I absolutely love how arcade-y the attacks in this game sound.
-Character specific Target Smashes (This also applies to Melee, obviously)
-Master Hand's Battle Theme. Seriously, it's a banger.

From Melee:
-FoD, Fourside, Mute City and Melee's Battlefield
- :icsmelee:
-:ganondorfmelee:'s OoT design (I've never been a big fan of his TP design for some reason)
-The generally faster movement and momentum
-Adventure mode going through various Nintendo IPs
-Giga Bowser as a boss in some form

From Brawl:
-Smashville, Spear Pillar and Shadow Moses
-:snake: even though I don't see that happening at all. I'm not even a MGS fan yet I've found myself missing him for some reason.
-An improved Subspace
-The Coin Shooter trophy game. Seriously, that was pretty fun.
-Proper Boss Battles

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
From Nintendo 64:
  • Each character has unique "Break the Targets" and "Board the Platform" modes.
  • Saffron City N64 stage.
  • Classic Mode
From Brawl:
  • Maybe an improved story-esque adventure mode.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Smash 64
  • Yoshi’s Island 64
  • Saffron City
  • Pokeball Meowth’s original Pay Day animation (I want Meowth to do both original and new animations... that’s where Alola Form Meowth comes in)
  • Break the Targets
  • Board the Platforms

Melee
  • Kongo Jungle (the one with the waterfall, that was my favorite)
  • Great Bay
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Poke Floats (or at least a new Poke Floats with new Pokémon above Alola)
  • Kingdom II (for when a playable Toad is finally confirmed and we can have a proper SMB2 battle)
  • Classic Mode
  • Adventure Mode

Enchess

Smash Lord
Smash 64
  • Poke Floats (or at least a new Poke Floats with new Pokémon above Alola)
If Nintendo gives me Poke Floats I'll buy two copies of the new Smash. I unironically love that level and don't get the hate I always hear for it.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
64:
- An opening like 64
- A similar gameplay experience as to 64. So the speed, fighting mechanics are similar to 64 (but still air dodges and four throws and side-b moves). Wouldn't mind dash-dancing either.
- Similar physics to this game. I agree that the hitstun sound effects were at their best here. Have the lighter and heavier hits be like it was in 64.
- Character animated CSS, gave it a very arcade like feel to it.
- Board the Platforms
- Meta Crystal (great stage with the best song in Smash imo)
- 64 Battlefield
- 64 Final Destination
- Saffron City
- All the other 64 stages that appeared in the later installments

Melee:
- Air Dodges and roll-dodges being like they were in this game.
- Classic Mode
- A more expanded or refined Adventure Mode
- Hitstun to the level it was at here
- Great Bay
- Poke Floats
- Trophy Tussle Event Matches

Brawl:
- A proper Story Mode
- Snake
- Shadow Moses Island
- Spear Pillar
- Wolf
- Ice Climbers

Smash 4:
- Magicant
- Old school Mute City
- A more expanded Smash Run
- Keep most if not all the characters from this game

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
- stages, bring them all back
I completely agree. Even if it's in DLC packs. Old maps are always fun.
Hell, I wouldn't mind if the base game is all new stages and all past stages come in DLC packs, as long as they are reasonably priced.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
- Meelee’s Difficulty in unlocking characters.
- Event matches being challenging and not having an easy mode to cheat with.
- A bit more combo friendly and fast paced than smash 4
- Snake and molasses

Koopaul

Smash Champion
BETTER MENUS! How on earth did they mess the menus up this bad in Smash 4. All the other menus were organized in such a nice way. I think Melee had the best organized menu.

Adventure Mode. Everyone wants another SSE but I'd rather have somthing similar to Melee's Adventure mode but somewhat more elobarate. Something that has bosses and more advanced stages like SSE did but no story and shorter. I guess a middle ground between the two.

Regular Break the Targets from 64 and Melee. This goes without saying.

Paper Fan. Why is it gone?

Some of the missing songs from Brawl. Why were they gone?

And finally the Fountain of Dreams. Other than that there aren't any classic stages that weren't already in Smash 3DS/Wii U.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Not NECESSARILY something that wasn't in Smash 4, but I want the custom stage creator to return.

HOWEVER, I want features that Brawls stage editor had that Smash 4 was lacking. Brawls stage creator had you placing blocky objects on a grid. Smash 4 did away with that and let you draw freehand forms that would become the parts of the stage you could interact with. Optimally, Smash Switch could have an combination of both (being able to draw freehand in handheld mode), as Brawl had a number of fun objects you could place (such as convejor belts, spikes or a tree stump) that were absent in Smash 4. If they built even further upon that, it'd be the cherry on the top!

This would honestly excite me more than any new character.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
A feature that probably won't return is Masterpieces. No VC as of yet (also is it pointless to have anyway but I digress)

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
There's actually a loooot of stuff I miss from Melee that wasn't the physics:

- Fountain of Dreams
- Brinstar Depths
- Poke Floats
- Mute City

- Adventure Mode
- Break the Targets

And Decision Mode.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Decision is basically the fourth kind of battle from coin/stock/time, where bonuses were awarded based on what you did during the fight (like taunting after a K.O, scoring K.Os in certain ways, etc.). It rewarded style.

MarineIris

Smash Cadet
-Adventure Mode (Melee or Brawl style)
-Bonus Matches
-Boss Battles
-Gulpin, Bonsly, and Weavile back in Pokeballs
-Jill and Ray MK III back in Assist Trophies
-Poke Floats, Summit, Spear Pillar, and Hanenbow stages
-Ice Climbers , Pichu, Pokemon Trainer veterans
-Zelda and Samus transformations
-Stickers

Jamisinon

Smash Apprentice
-A legit single player experience like Subspace Emissary.
-Better character specific break the targets.
-Brawl's music (Sm4sh music is good for sure but we need all the music, more variety is just better imo)
-A vast array of competitive and semi-competitive stages i.e. Fountain of Dreams, a better Pokemon Stadium, Melee Yoshi's Story etc. Essentially levels past and present that were ever used in competitive play with their original blast zones

MELEE PHYSICS
---Can I say Melee dmg %'s? I hate the rage mechanic but think you can't remove rage without increasing knockback growth and dmg etc.
---No rage
---Sm4sh honestly felt slow to me the moment I picked it up so I'll say Melee's play speed
---Melee air dodges. I don't like multiple air dodges at all, they feel too free to spam even at higher levels of play (but I do think a single air dodge with significant endlag but you could act after it could be a good compromise).
---Slower shield recharge rate like previous games
---Less landing lag overall like in previous games
(I have mixed feelings on bringing back L-cancelling, wavedashing, and old ledge mechanics. While I personally prefer them I understand a lot of current smash players are too young or not interested in a Melee 2.0)

-Less background colors and animations. Levels like sm4sh's FD are honestly hard on the eyes and there's just a lot going on so I'd prefer less going on in the background which every other smash game had
-Some of the custom stage items such as ice that brawl had that didn't make it into sm4sh. I haven't seen a great use of either games' stage builder but there are a couple things sm4sh removed from Brawl that should stay for more custom stage variety
-Obviously returning characters that didn't make an appearance i.e. Wolf
-Puff being good
-Fox and Falco's old voices. Their voices in sm4sh are terrible.
-Suicide moves such as Ganon's side B or Bowser's side B not resulting in ganon/bowser being the first to die. If you wanna make it a tie that's fine but it's really dumb when a character is below you and the game says you died first when you KO someone in that trolly fun way
-4 stock 8min matches (obviously the gameplay would have to facilitate this but I don't like 2 stock matches. If you assume the ledge mechanic stays the same but game speed increases I'd be okay with 3 stock 6min matches)
-Olimar having more pikmin like in Brawl. That is more for my sister. She played a lot of Brawl Olimar and she hates him in sm4sh.
-A couple various costumes like Fox's green jacket and red boots and headband Jigglypuff returning in addition to their current costumes. With Little Mac having so many costumes there's no reason other characters need be limited to 8.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Characters:
-Ice Climbers
-Wolf
-The concept of Pokémon Trainer coming back somehow. Either a Xenoblade 2 character changing Blades, Majora Link changing masks or Pokémon Trainer themself coming back with new Pokémon, I don't care

Game modes:
-Classic Mode (Melee-like, down to Race to The Finish, Metal Battles)
-Adventure Mode (can be both Melee or Brawl-like, I imagine an amalgamation between both)
-Target Test (can be Brawl-like since I get making 50-something stages will be too time consuming, plus there's co-op, but put more difficulty levels, say 20)
-Board The Platforms (again, can be Brawl Target Test-styled but with more levels)
-Race To The Finish (hopefully as a Stadium game, maybe even with multiple difficulty levels too)
-Boss Battles (if applicable)

Stages:
-Planet Zebes (N64)
-Poké Floats (Melee)
-Kingdom II (Melee)
-no Brawl stages I guess since the cooler ones already came back across both Wii U and 3DS?????

Music:
-Planet Zebes (N64)
-FInal Destination (N64)
-Meta Crystal (N64)
-Character Profiles (N64)
-Fourside (Melee)
-Gritzy Desert (Brawl)
-Super Sonic Racing (Brawl)
-Brawl's Main Theme (the actual original arrangement, with the choir, still can't understand why it didn't come back in SSB4)

Items:
-Isaac and Ray back as Assist Trophies
-the fan

Other:
-Stage Builder item/hazard options that Brawl had (SSB4 nailed by making it able to draw the platforms but it really was a step down in other departments)
-Better menu (SSB4's menu was visually stunning but it was really poorly organized, it was easy to get lost)

The Smash Nerd II.0.

Smash Journeyman
Characters:
-Ice Climbers
-Wolf
-The concept of Pokémon Trainer coming back somehow. Either a Xenoblade 2 character changing Blades, Majora Link changing masks or Pokémon Trainer themself coming back with new Pokémon, I don't care

Game modes:
-Classic Mode (Melee-like, down to Race to The Finish, Metal Battles)
-Adventure Mode (can be both Melee or Brawl-like, I imagine an amalgamation between both)
-Target Test (can be Brawl-like since I get making 50-something stages will be too time consuming, plus there's co-op, but put more difficulty levels, say 20)
-Board The Platforms (again, can be Brawl Target Test-styled but with more levels)
-Race To The Finish (hopefully as a Stadium game, maybe even with multiple difficulty levels too)
-Boss Battles (if applicable)

Stages:
-Planet Zebes (N64)
-Poké Floats (Melee)
-Kingdom II (Melee)
-no Brawl stages I guess since the cooler ones already came back across both Wii U and 3DS?????

Music:
-Planet Zebes (N64)
-FInal Destination (N64)
-Meta Crystal (N64)
-Character Profiles (N64)
-Fourside (Melee)
-Gritzy Desert (Brawl)
-Super Sonic Racing (Brawl)
-Brawl's Main Theme (the actual original arrangement, with the choir, still can't understand why it didn't come back in SSB4)

Items:
-Isaac and Ray back as Assist Trophies
-the fan

Other:
-Stage Builder item/hazard options that Brawl had (SSB4 nailed by making it able to draw the platforms but it really was a step down in other departments)
-Better menu (SSB4's menu was visually stunning but it was really poorly organized, it was easy to get lost)
No Just Ray, Isaac need to be playable.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I need a few stages back - Fountain of Dreams chief among them, but also Great Bay, Pokémon Stadium 1, and Mushroom Kingdom II (and World 1/2) or even Saffron City from 64. And I loved Spear Pillar. Most of the better stages ended up in the 3DS version.

I'm also one of the three people on this planet who liked Transformations, so I really want them back. Not a fan of Samus/ZSS transforming by Smash Ball since I want to choose when to transform, but Zelda and the Trainer were great with it, and I miss it.

Melee-style 1P modes. I liked classic mode better there since you got set battle types and random opponents. Also the All-Star was randomized, and the Adventure was actually loads of fun.

A better opening trailer that wasn't just clips of the newcomers' trailers.

Items like the Paper fan and especially the Parasol, it was funny.

A classic/all star mode aesthetic like Brawls, where you'd get a good shot of the character art before the fight, and then the game would slow and zoom in as you won sort of like a snapshot.

More stage builder items and themes.

EDIT: And characters! IC's and Wolf need to come back. Definitely Squitrle and Ivy as part of the trainer, I loved them. I've even warmed up to Snake, so come one back with your stage (and awesome music)

Last edited:

JawshGray

Smash Rookie
Aside from characters and stages returning, what I want is unlikely. I'd really like a new Adventure Mode WITH a new story mode.

CursedKaiju

Smash Apprentice
From Smash 64:
Each character has unique "Break the Targets" and "Board the Platform" modes.
The soundeffects, they were my favorite by far
All original stages in HD

From Melee:
Melee Physics
Most of the stages(not poke floats, venom, ice mountain and jungle japes)
classic mode

From Brawl:
I know I am in the minority here but the art style, I loved the more serious and realistic art style.
Subspace Emissary like mode

From other:
Don't if I should say this one but I would rather it play like Project m than any other smash game, if it cant than like melee
All of the music
Better menus
All of the cut characters except for :pichumelee:

(might come back and add if I think of anything else)

Top Bottom