• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What the Freak do you do against Falco??

HyperSilver

Smash Cadet
So there are a few really good melee falco players from where im from, its just that I dont get to play them like ever.
Thus leading me to play the Mewtwo -> Falco matchup feeling stuck. I know you u-throw & go as far as you can with it. but its also the lazers that body me. im stuck....help

iWally

Smash Rookie
I only ever played this matchup from the Falco perspective before the Mewtwo nerfs, so I don't know how much of this applies but here goes:

The most important thing you want to learn is powershielding lasers. Laser approaches are literally the only way Falco has to open you up, if you deny that from him it's a very easy matchup. You don't have to powershield every single laser, just practice and get the timing down so you can threaten his obvious approach attempts with powershields. That alone will give you a huge edge.

As Mewtwo you will want to control center stage as much as possible and wall out Falco with well spaced tilts and bairs. Abuse utilt/fair/uair juggles, pivot grabs, dtilts into grabs, teleport nairs (I don't know if this is still a thing), etc. Falco has a hard time getting in on your huge range and safe pressure, stuff him out of whatever he's trying to do. Also remember that lasers barely do any damage, don't panic if Falco starts projectile camping you, just be smart and patient. The pressure should be on him to approach you, don't let him get in. Convert on your grabs, it's incredibly easy to edgeguard Falco as Mewtwo. If you get a grab near the edges of the stage, bthrow or fthrow puts Falco in a terrible position. You should also aim to finish your combos with anything that throws him offstage. Use shadow ball to hit him out of his recovery if he tries to sideB directly into the stage, all other options are easily covered by grabbing ledge/drop down bairs or fsmash. A Falco off stage should be a dead Falco, don't drop edgeguards.

In short: Powershield lasers, abuse your range, look for gimps, don't drop edgeguards.

Here's a video of an old money match I found, it's pre-nerf mewtwo but the matchup should be played pretty much the same.

Last edited:

Ithnex

Smash Rookie
^
Some good tips. Power-shielding is defiantly important to this MU. A good thing to learn is WD out of shield so when he tries to get in with lasers you can just WD out of shield and get a punish. FC Fairs are good punishes because you can just fair him a couple times and gimp him when he's at a bad position for him.

AndyT0073

Smash Cadet
I've never played a good falco as mewtwo but it seems like floating over his lasers like peach does would work in neutral on fd and a few other stages like ghz and smashville. If he tries to hit you, you have nair to protect you and once he gets caught in you can fast fall to the ground to float cancel it and either dtilt -> grab or just grab.

ÑukeSSB

Nuke.Exe
NNID
Nukeit
Floating over his lasers is key or simply jumping over them while facing away from him so you can bair him in case of approaches.
After getting a hit in neutral its all about your punish game.
Like armada said " improve your punish game and you'll get better results."

If this can help i went to an Ottawa project m tourney. I didn't play project m in 8 motnhs. So im a bit rusty on the " technical " stuff but the rest is ok.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naU7glU0UQE
i finished 4th behind, Boreal | Ally, Boreal | Holy and Boreal | Morks.

Last edited:

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
His teleport×floating is his best option because the lazer can't touch you and the teleport lets you get in closer to punish falco plus your shadowball goes right through the lazers

Tomaster

Smash Journeyman
Wavedash oos with Mewtwo is amazing for projectiles in general.. you can wavedash to retain mobility, and position yourself for a teleport punish if you need to, while not getting hit by the lasers cuz u got a shield :)

Edit: combined with the other options people offered neutral becomes doable, and that's when the matchup becomes good for m2 cuz his punish game on falco is amazing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom