• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What the !@#$ do I do against Yoshi?

jakeyizle

Smash Rookie
I just spent like, 30-60 minutes getting bodied by a Yoshi and I just don't know what to do.

• How do I play the neutral? I feel super constrained and that Yoshi controls more space, but I'm pretty bad.
  • What are my punishes off of D-throw? I know I can get tipper Usmash, chain grabs, and tilts off of bad DI. Off of DI away at high percent I can get dash attack. DI away at low percent do I only get a tech chase?
  • How do I edgeguard the *******? His double jump eats any aerials I throw out, and when Yoshi's really far away there's egg/airdodge mixups that I don't know how to cover
  • How do I ****ing DI against his throws?

Thank you for any help :)

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
EDIT: Oh, LOL! This is Sheik boards, not Yoshi boards. I'm an idiot. Give me a moment to be helpful

In neutral, you want to do a lot of back and forth spacing. Plenty of dash-dancing and wavedashing. Most of all, try to stay grounded. On the ground you get shield (and his grab is slow), grab (which beats his armor), and f-tilt (which is your go-to combo starter on most characters.

Yeah, follow-ups on throws got even worse in this patch. Just work on that techchasing!

Tipper b-air beats armor, I think. And does f-air really not do the trick? Damn, Yoshi...

Not sure about how to DI the throws, as I am not too familiar with Yoshi, but usually down and away is a good start.

Last edited:

_DarkLava

Smash Cadet
EDIT: Oh, LOL! This is Sheik boards, not Yoshi boards. I'm an idiot. Give me a moment to be helpful
I'd assume he'd be playing as Sheik since this is on the Sheik boards.

EDIT: Hmm it quoted what you changed it to before I refreshed the page. Oh well.

Last edited:

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I just spent like, 30-60 minutes getting bodied by a Yoshi and I just don't know what to do.

• How do I play the neutral? I feel super constrained and that Yoshi controls more space, but I'm pretty bad.
  • What are my punishes off of D-throw? I know I can get tipper Usmash, chain grabs, and tilts off of bad DI. Off of DI away at high percent I can get dash attack. DI away at low percent do I only get a tech chase?
  • How do I edgeguard the *******? His double jump eats any aerials I throw out, and when Yoshi's really far away there's egg/airdodge mixups that I don't know how to cover
  • How do I ****ing DI against his throws?

Thank you for any help :)
No problem. There are three Yoshi players that I've played recently (Ninkendo64 [GA], Shadowphoenix [OH], eyeheartlovetap [MI]) and I had beaten all three of them. Granted, it was 3.5 so things have changed in terms of the punish game, but I'll address each of your points.

1. You should play this matchup pretty conservatively. Sheik by nature is not a very aggressive character, though she can be played as one. Defensive tilts, wavedash back grab/tilt/dsmash, jump back AC fair and needles are your friend. If you find yourself confused at what to do, you should charge needles, recheck your space or do both. Yoshi outranges Sheik with his dtilt/dsmash/ftilt and his jab is one of the faster ones and is pretty meaty.

2. Your punishes off of dthrow are mostly what you have covered. However at low percent DI away, you can still get boost regrabs (easy way to do this is dash -> cstick down -> z, almost like you are doing a DACUS with the same method) and Sheik will shoot farther forward with her grab. Aside from that you can tech chase or throw them off stage for positioning.

3. Which leads to this: Fair is rather strong vs DJC or DJ aerials. You can no longer footstool Yoshi's who dumbly come up from below unfortunately, but you can grab ledge and ledge jump nair or fair and break the knockback armor. You may be able to stop them that way. Aside from that, a full needle or maybe even a 75% charged needle will help break as well.

4. Now, down and away should allow you to hit the floor against dthrow and that's really the main throw that I think you should worry about. If you DI up, I believe that you'll eat an upsmash/upair and they'll have to chase your trajectory with eggs or whatever... and Yoshi has good air mobility while Sheik does not so... good luck there. The other throws are generally just positioning throws so use your best judgement.

Hopefully this helps!

cisyphus

Smash Ace
This matchup is so much harder than Melee lol. To address your questions:
Yoshi's main spacing tools are egg throw at long distance, which you can punish with boost grab I'm sure; f-tilt and d-tilt which can be spaced around (it's the same range as Sheik's d-tilt essentially, or maybe Marth's?); every other option (i.e. smash attacks) possesses similar range but has considerably more endlag. You can even do shield approaches into WD OOS (or powershield f-tilt if you're about that).

As for down throw, everyone knows to DI it away now that 3.6b gutted sheik's throw mixup game, so set up the techchase properly by dashing forward once you see the DI away. If they get the full DI away, you'll need to techchase, but Yoshi's roll isn't that long so you should be able to catch him and go for regrabs, tilts, or whatever else. Work on your reactions and you should do fine in this department.

For edgeguards: Read the high recoveries and try to force them low, then GRAB LEDGE. Yoshi has no way of contesting you on ledge while DJing from below, which forces them to burn an airdodge, which you can punish with ledgehop down air into f-air/b-air/u-air. Forcing them low is a matter of needling and back airing them to zone them away from that high recovery path.

idk about throws too much but don't let Yoshi keep you close ever.

source: also have played Tap :3 My sheik does well, but Snake is soooo much stronger in the matchup now lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom