1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3. Use the Smashboards Store to get awesome Smash stuff and support the site, like a Nintendo Controller or the Wii U - Gamecube adaptor ! Check out the inventory in our store and support Smashboards with your purchase today!

What techniques should a new competitive player learn before they decide to enter tournaments??

Discussion in 'Competitive Discussion' started by jcn_3, Dec 7, 2017.

1. jcn_3

jcn_3
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Cadet

Evening everyone, I just started playing smash on a competitive level and I want to make sure I am honing the appropriate techniques. With so many techniques and information out there, it's hard to decide what's useful in competitive play and what's not wasting your time. Any recommendations on a list of various absolutely necessary techniques I should practice and master before taking competitive play seriously?

#1 jcn_3, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  2. origamiscienceguy

origamiscienceguy
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Apprentice

It is character dependent. I see that you main Captain Falcon, so I would suggest you learn Extended Dash Dancing (Tutorial:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azRrqKUJ-5o) It is a powerful tool for a character as fast as Falcon.

3. jcn_3

jcn_3
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Cadet

Much appreciated and any shielding techniques I should practice? ?

4. origamiscienceguy

origamiscienceguy
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Apprentice

As long as you know how to dash-shield, there is nothing crazy important to know about shielding.

5. FamilyTeam

FamilyTeam
    Expand Collapse
    This strength serves more than me alone.

NNID:
    MontanaCity
    Fundamentals>Tech.
    Always.
    Tech is not extremely important for a very large majority of the characters.
    If you had to choose between opting to be proficient at tech or being proficient at your fundamentals in the game you should never opt for the first one.

Pixel_, Jalil, Vycoul and 5 others like this.
  6. jcn_3

jcn_3
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Cadet

started practicing that last night. Used to be a HUGE melee player but let the game go as i got older. Getting back into the swing of things with Project M and smash 4

7. jcn_3

jcn_3
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Cadet

much appreciated, couldn't agree more!

8. Bl4z1ng1k3

Bl4z1ng1k3
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Rookie

3DS FC:
    4012-8638-3092
    Learn to Dash dance. Doing so can trick opponents into coming after you and you can punish with turnaround grabs. if you know grab combos this can really help. But also learn to focus on the player and their play style. Cause you don't know if it could be a unique one. That is my advice to you. :)

9. Baby_Sneak

Baby_Sneak
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Lord

NNID:
    sneak_diss
  10. Dryn

Dryn
    Expand Collapse
    The Amethyst Adversary

And remember, it's not about just learning how to use tech. It's utilizing it during matches. I see a lot of people use perfect pivoting, but never effectively, let alone at all during matches while their opponent is on the stage. They tend to just do it to show off, as if it means you're suddenly a professional player. However, during GTX of this year, MkLeo used perfect pivoting effectively. So really, you can learn as many techniques as you wish, but it won't mean anything if you don't use them.

Directional influence is also an important tech to use. It helps you survive longer against attacks that would have otherwise killed you. In Sm4sh, there is an animation where you'll see red lightning (I think it's dependent on what player you are). This indicates that you're going to die. However, DI can prevent that, even if the red lightning shows up. If you're going to fight Bayonetta (and you will most likely bump into this character), you'll want to practice smash directional influence (SDI). Here's a video about the two below.

11. FINNTHEGREAT

FINNTHEGREAT
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Rookie

NNID:
    FINNTHEGREAT
    I absolutely agree with this statement. Teching in Smash Bros indeed useful, but if you cannot use it intuitively, then what is the point using it. After starting to play smash in 2008 and have never been to a tournament or weekly, I still cannot utilize tech skills despite practicing them a lot. However, the important thing to remember is to be skilled with the character you main, studying the matchups, and to do what is best for your playstyle. As for myself, I tend to focus on attacking quickly, finding quick and easy combos, using my grabs wisely, and setting up kill moves.

#11 FINNTHEGREAT, Dec 14, 2017 at 8:00 PM
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2017 at 8:01 PM
  12. Baby_Sneak

Baby_Sneak
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Lord

NNID:
    sneak_diss
    Don’t forget these concepts though:

https://smashboards.com/guides/neutral-game-basics-understanding-controlling-space.791/

Fundamentals are a loooooot deeper than that, and there could be multiple books made on what to do in certain situations.

#12 Baby_Sneak, Dec 14, 2017 at 9:24 PM
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2017 at 9:38 PM