• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What stage ideas/gimmicks/layouts do you think haven't been explored yet?

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
What do you think hasn't been done yet that you'd like to see in Smash Switch? Not just a location from a game but more how the stage plays. Doesn't have to be competitive either, just what do you want to see in a stage besides references to certain games.

I think that there hasn't been enough looking into the 'low ground' platforms rather than high ground. Closest would be Norfair, but even the three tiers and size is excessive for the concept (not to mention the hazards), or Pilot Wings but they're too easy to camp in that.

Also stages with a gap in the middle of the main part, like Midgar when it's split. There's also Bridge of Eldin and Gaur Plains but they're pretty extreme gaps and also massive sized with walk offs.

Lastly, probably hard to implement but I think a Portal style gimmick would be fun as hell with some crazy setup opportunities and chaos in FFA. Launching players through one with another play camping the other to follow up, throwing items through a portal to catch a player off guard.

How about you guys?

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Earlier today, I was actually thinking about underwater combat. Usually in Smash the character just dies from being in the water too long but what if in Smash 5 each level that had water could transition into an underwater level?

It would be gimmicky and weird and anticompetitive and I dislike underwater levels in games immensely but the concept is kinda cool.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
it'd be cool to explore a circular stage; imagine something like the space station in 2001: A Space Odyssey but on a much smaller scale. Depending on some sort of signifier, maybe something in the background, the gravity changes and such. Alternatively it could work similar to a hamster wheel, where running in one direction spins the main ring. If you get caught while it's moving you stick to it if it has enough momentum.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
On the competitive side, I’d like to see more experimentation with asymmetrical stages. If said stages aren’t too lopsided, they would allow for a unique emphasis on stage control, plus gameplay would feel more different depending on which side of the map you’re on.

I also think it would be cool if they brought back omegas, but also added the option to select one of many platform layouts, each of which is available for every single stage (they’d just need a platform model or two for each stage, and then they can be added at runtime.) This would make it easier to include lots of unique competitive styles layouts as well.

On the casual side, I’d like to see a stage with blastzones that loop even if you’re launched through them, but only until you reach 100% or so damage, then it KO’s you. 3DS Balloon Fight had looping blastzones but you’d die super easily if you’re too close and anything hits you, so making them only KO you at higher percents could be more fun.

It could also be fun to see stages with hazards more mainly player controlled, such as with pressure plates to stand on and things like that. Said switches should be put in places where you can’t camp too easily on them, though.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Crossover stages but perhaps that would be too much like Playstation All Stars and Marvel vs Capcom Infinite. A crossover stage between Zelda and Kid Icarus or Metroid and Pokémon would be interesting.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
I'll just post some ideas. Not all of them have to be good.

- Stage located on a giant creature.
- Stage that plays with lighting. The player should be able to decide which areas are dark and which are bright.
- Crumbling stage that gets smaller every minute, until it's restored again.
- Stage that gets built while you're playing on it. This would most likely be from a crafting game.
- Rhythmic stage. Hazards would appear in a rhythmic fashion.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I'm not sure what to add to stages to change this, but one reason I don't advocate for the Prince from Prince of Persia for smash is that it would barely be him if he were added and couldn't do all his acrobatic, wall-running stuff.

jwillenn

Smash Apprentice
As the world turns...
Think of Suzaku Castle (Ryu's stage) with its destructible sign posts. I want that kind of thing intensified. Maybe imagine that environment is a room in your house. Now place the characters facing off on a plate. As the plate slowly rotates, different objects come into play. More destructible objects are populated. Maybe "tournament ready" floating platforms enter the scene for a time. So you can get a stage that is sometimes FD, sometimes a Battlefield type and with destructible elements. And all of this happens while blast zones remain unaffected. It's not a "new" thing, but another way of making a regular stage more dynamic without auto scrolling, Castle Siege style transitions, or the background switching on the SMB stage.

I'd like to think of something really big for stages, but I haven't come up with it yet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom