• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What situations are Up tilt and Down tilt best used for?

PyroPez

Smash Rookie
I'm trying to improve my mix up game and two moves I feel I don't use enough are up tilt and down tilt. I'm trying to work out where I can fit them into my play. When and how is it best to use them?

JohnnyB

Smash Journeyman
Dtilt - A quick kill move up close or a spacing move at a distance. Frame 9. Kills around 125-135% with the close hitbox. Its fairly safe on shield if spaced. As a kill move it's good at punishing things on shield that are at least -13 after shieldstun, espically fsmashes that are power shielded since you won't be pushed away.

Utilt - Combo starter at low %, kill move at 125-135%. Frame 7. Laggy (33 frames of cooldown). Combos into upsmash and upair at low percents. Has a deceptively large hitbox. Can stuff out aerial approaches. Best used to cover getup options at ledge due to having lots of active frames. Covers normal getup, most getup attacks, ledge jump and some ledge drop > aerial options.

Stratto

Smash Rookie
you can use both for covering ledge options. if your opponent grabs the ledge twice, you can use d tilt to nab a kill. you can also 2 frame it. Up tilt, is usually used for ledge getup, as some people said above.

brotip: you can extend d-tilt's hitbox if you have a tree up.

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
I may not remember correctly, but I do think that both of these can be good combo starters used in conjunction with pocketed projectiles.

Top Bottom