• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What should I practice?

MrJedo

Smash Rookie
What Should I Practice?

Hi I'm new to Doc and was wondering what I should practice by myself. I have mastered the Up-B cancel and I have 20XX. What punishes should I practice? What matches should I watch?

PS What are Docs best stages?

Miasmata

Smash Rookie
In short, everything.

Practice regimes are entirely player dependent. For me at least, I always try to make note of what tech I messed up at the last local I attended and practice that, even if it's something like missing a wavedash. Honestly, I think some of the most important tech in melee is the basic stuff. Ledgedashes, wavedashes, SHFFL, and wavelands are all super important to be able to do 100% of the time because of how often you do all of them.

In terms of Doc specific stuff, Up-B cancel out of shield, SHBAWD, chaingrabs, and wavelanding out of pills are all really nice tools once you implement them correctly. Definitely practice chaingrabs on every character that can be chaingrabbed. That free percent is really nice.

For stages, it really depends on the character and who's playing them. I find Stadium to be a pretty solid stage since there's no top platform that people can camp. FD is a great pick versus spacies and Falcon cause of how disgusting your punishes can be off of the chaingrab. Every time you grab Fox or Falco on FD you should get them to 70% or kill them. It's straight up like fighting Marth. Thinking on it, I don't know if Doc has any really bad stages. I'd say he just doesn't want to go to stages that offer advantages to other characters. He's not like Puff where Pokemon plays directly against her.

Saullix

Smash Rookie
The only stage that I consider really bad is Battlefield because the top platform is really high, it makes sweetspotting the ledge significantly harder, and provides no wall to ride with up b. The only benefit to BF is that it makes cape a bit better, but doc needs all of his recovery mixups so much more then he needs a bit of help edgeguarding.

bboss

Smash Journeyman
Watch Mang0 vs Shroomed at Kings of Cali 2, this set clearly details the matchup. Leffen vs. Shroomed at Big House 4 is a great video to learn from, as well as SFAT vs Shroomed at NWM 6.

Top Bottom