• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What should I practice when grinding?

Noxus

Smash Cadet
I have recently acquired 20XX and was wondering if anyone could suggest some good practice drills I could do to take advantage of the training pack?

Gen.Excel

Smash Rookie
Well, I main Marth and Falco so I like to go either Yoshi's, FD or Battlefield and practice zero-to-death combos and Out-of-shine stuff as well as platform cancels and the like. I also set percentage to 40 as marth because that's usually where chaingrabs end and ken combos can begin.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Always devote a little bit of time to the things you'll always use. L-canceling, Aerial Interrupts onto platforms and from ledge, MCs, Jab Canceling, pivots, wavelands, wavedashing, different kinds of bomb jump, grapple wall jumps, sweetspots with both grapple and Screw Attack. There may be other things I'm not thinking of, but practicing these things is important to maintaining consistency. Then, you can think about match-up specific stuff. Use random DI and teching to practice reactions and follow-ups, as well as trap execution.

On your own, execution and reactions are the most important things to practice. It's not really possible to practice actual gameplay on your own. Even the best coded AIs don't really hold up to a person that's actively trying to figure you out. If you can get a regular practice partner, I recommend doing so.

garotis

Smash Cadet
I would recommend using the solo-mode (infinite time versus mode, one player) feature of 20XX. You can put on a podcast that you like, and practice fundamentals for a few minutes. It can be super relaxing, honestly.

One thing I did when I was ****ed up on painkillers after shoulder surgery was the following, pulled straight from my phone:

5 mins each:
Wavedashes
Wavelands [platforms, ledges, descending from aerial]
Wavedash of out shield into anything
Dash-run into turnaround wavedash-back into fastfall ledge grab.
SHFFL'd aerials
Out of shield options [particularly, perfect nair out of shield without Z-airing by accident].
Shield drops with aerials
Dashdance on platform into shield-drop aerial [optional]​

I did that a few times a week, and holy moly that little stint of practice made me crispy. Didn't improve my neutral game, but I don't flub wavedash-back onto ledge anymore, that's for damn sure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom