• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Should I Do After I Get A Grab With Young Link?

Mr. Jam

Smash Apprentice
Down throw...up throw... What works good on what characters etc. All tips are great.

downbfordays

Smash Cadet
Very matchup specific. Against fast fallers generally you up throw in to up-air or nair. Same with a lot of floaties except you use down throw, and you can use dair out of the throw. Forward throw is pretty much useless, and backthrow is useful if your back is near the lege and the opponent has a gimpable recovery.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
I'm obsessed with d-throw u-tilt aerial(s) combos. They work on basically every character at certain percents. But yeah, Young Link is match-up specific and percent specific when it comes to throws. Up-throw if they're not going to go high, and down-throw if they're likely to fly. That's an easy to remember general rule.

Last edited:

Stormfury12

Smash Cadet
NNID
Stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
I usually use F-throw or D-throw. I can usually land a chain grab off of forward throw between 10% and 80% although it doesn't work for every character(like Fox).

TriNewton

Smash Cadet
Are there any true combos against Marth off a grab? I had a friend over yesterday who was spamming counter and I discovered that down-throw > u-tilt is not a true combo on Marth, and down-throw to up-smash isn't either.

Pure Royalty

Smash Cadet
id use down throw to nair. marth is a good weight where it is easy to pull off, and nair is a strong move so it can send them a good distance. but you want to mix it up. dont do the same thing every time. they will learn and DI it to make it harder to land

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
Are there any true combos against Marth off a grab? I had a friend over yesterday who was spamming counter and I discovered that down-throw > u-tilt is not a true combo on Marth, and down-throw to up-smash isn't either.
downthrow uptilt is a true combo starting at 20% i believe (dont remember the exact number but its around there). You can test it out in training mode, if the counter says 2 consecutive hits its a true combo. Down throw also combos into nair, upair, and bair. If oure not getting it youre just not doing it fast enough.

Prioritized

Smash Cadet
NNID
Prioritized
3DS FC
0430-8412-2191
I always try for uthrow uair juggles if I can get a grab. Dthrow dair is a good kill option against floaties.

derdian

Smash Cadet
At lower percents on marth you can do d-throw to auto cancelled bair and then get a regrab

Yung Scrap

Smash Cadet
I can often d-throw uptilt into a nair. If they're at a low percent I try to read a tech roll or tech in place and punish accordingly

Brando550

Smash Cadet
I know that you at least have a chain-grab on both spacies and C. Falcon. Against the floaties and Marth, you can Crouch-Cancel after down-throwing or up-throwing them, then do a d-tilt and dair if they use an aerial after CC.

TriNewton

Smash Cadet
I know that you at least have a chain-grab on both spacies and C. Falcon. Against the floaties and Marth, you can Crouch-Cancel after down-throwing or up-throwing them, then do a d-tilt and dair if they use an aerial after CC.
Could you describe this chain grab? I haven't heard of anything like this before.

Last edited:

Brando550

Smash Cadet
Thinking about it, I guess it's not really a chain-grab. My apologies. More of a tech-chase situation, which isn't a chain-grab at all. Now I just feel embarrassed for so confidently posting that statement >.<.

derdian

Smash Cadet
^you actually can chain grab fast fallers at certain percents. You can grab them out of the air if you hit them with your body part of the grab hitbox (same with samus)

Brando550

Smash Cadet
Hmm... Thank you for letting me know =D. I might have to try this out for myself.

Brando550

Smash Cadet
After testing this, you have opened an entire new realm of young link combos. I cannot thank you enough for this information!

SquidHat

Smash Rookie
on fox a little above 100 you can up throw to dair, and around 130 - 140 you can up throw fair. The dair rarely kills but the fair does work

Brando550

Smash Cadet
Found this out just a little bit ago and wanted to share it. You can grab a fox from behind if you position your shield just right when they do a get-up attack. In this video I grabbed him first, but this works at any time you are in this position during a match.

https://gfycat.com/RectangularRedHyracotherium

Edit: I haven't tried this out on any other characters yet, but I'm sure it works on some other top-tiers

Last edited:

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
percentages also play a huge factor. While back throw normally doesn't send a character very far, especially fast fallers, at higher percents its good for getting them off stage. If their percentage is high enough, you can get them off stage and hit them with a bair, which also has significant knockback at high percents. This puts you in a good position for a ledge hog, especially against falco and maybe falcon. You'd need to push fox's percentage even higher to get a guaranteed ledge hog, only because his recovery is slightly longer.

TriNewton

Smash Cadet
If I ever land a grab as YL I usually end up standing there for a few seconds thinking 'How did I land a grab as YL'
If Plup can land grabs on Leffen (with Samus's grab!), it should be possible at high levels of play to land grabs as YL.

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
If Plup can land grabs on Leffen (with Samus's grab!), it should be possible at high levels of play to land grabs as YL.
no offense to jem, but I don't think he's a high level player lol. Also, samus's grab is considerably better than yl's

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Samus' grab is worse than Young Link's. Samus' shield condition is much better than Young Link's, which is why Samus can get grabs and Young Link has massive trouble.

I've reversed my idea that Young Link would have trouble with Peach with a normal grab. I actually think now that he'd be a better character with a better grab. He has a good Dash Dance making "Dash Dance grab" a real strategy if he had a normal grab. He has good nair and uair combos, and assuming he has the same throws, he has good combo throws. You can dash dance grab Peach's d-smash anyways.

Last edited:
Top Bottom