• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What secondary to pick up as Sonic?

Krumpberry

Banned via Warnings
I like playing Sonic, but I wonder what is a good secondary to cover his bad MUs. I have narrowed it down to either Wolf, Falcon, or MK. I'm not so sure about Falcon since he has the same kind of mindset as Sonic, but he is very fun to play. Wolf is also very fun, but I have time being consistent with him. Some days everything just clicks and I'm ****ing writing poetry with my shield pressure. Then you get those days where you can't even waveshine half the time and missing your l-cancels. MK is also a crap ton of fun, but I don't get the mindset for him. Like with Sonic, you want to be gimping and techchasing, but I'm not sure what to do with MK. I also **** up my recovery a lot lol but that can be solved with a little practice. Anywho, what are some good secondaries for Sonic? Thanks.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Sheik covers a lot. Especially top tier woes, if you can handle her defensive turtle style where you control a small, confined space with powerful options rather than cover a large space and try to find the angle that works.

JFyst

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1822-1491-9293
what MU's do you hate as sonic? For example, I hate fox which is a bad mu, I also hate Ganondorf which is a good mu, i picked up Lucario, and he works against these character better than my sonic does, (though recently i've been figuring out the fox MU as sonic) It's a lot of personal preference IMO, Fox is never a bad pocket, covers many MU's that sonic has trouble with, but my advice is pick someone you like who isn't too similar to sonic.

Krumpberry

Banned via Warnings
@ JFyst JFyst I don't like the Marth or Mario MU personally. If I don't gimp them quick enough, they end up getting to like 150% and it's just a hassle. I've been messing around with DK and he seems to handle them easily, and is pretty fun to play. I think I'll see where he goes.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
I'm experimenting on pockets right now and my bucket list would have Zelda/Sheik, Bowser, Fox
But most likely I might end up with Zelda or Bowser, it seems my L-Cancel timing slightly goes off with Fox and Shiek so there's that.

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
@ JFyst JFyst I don't like the Marth or Mario MU personally. If I don't gimp them quick enough, they end up getting to like 150% and it's just a hassle. I've been messing around with DK and he seems to handle them easily, and is pretty fun to play. I think I'll see where he goes.
Funny thing is Sheik is a good counter to them (they're pretty even IMO). I use Sheik and Marth in Melee, and I find they're both great secondaries, and easy to switch to mid-match since they're more fundamentally based than characters like Lucario, Sonic, Falcon, and space animals.
Also, Wolf is my other best PM character. I'm not so sure they'd be the best together, but I'd do it if I were stuck.

Last edited:

Krumpberry

Banned via Warnings
Actually, I started recently playing Sheik again and she's pretty fun. One reason I didn't want her was because people would get salty for me playing her (dumb, I know). But then again, I main Sonic so you get used to that.

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I started recently playing Sheik again and she's pretty fun. One reason I didn't want her was because people would get salty for me playing her (dumb, I know). But then again, I main Sonic so you get used to that.
I know what you mean about the salt lol. Back before some of my friends got more serious about the game, they shamed me for playing characters like Toon Link, Marth and Sheik and it was pretty disappointing... but I got over it. I figure anyone who's serious enough about the game and/or experienced enough would look at it as more of a welcome challenge. Plus, anyone who knows stuff about the game knows each character takes skill at a high level. :) Besides the point, Sonic takes hella skill period. I've seen lots of people pick him up and drop him pretty fast because they don't get him.

NyTR0

Smash Apprentice
I main Sheik in Melee and decided to try her in PM and to my surprise it went great. Sodium The Character.

Kulprit

Smash Cadet
I'll provide some interesting insight since I've picked up Sonic recently. I main MK, but I struggled with spacies and Falcon + Ganon, so I decided to have Sonic be my pocket character. I like Sonic vs fastfallers because there's some sweet grab setups and combos from grabs that I love doing on fastfallers. So to relate to the OP, MK would be a good backup character to have.

Top Bottom