• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Programming Language Do You Prefer?

Which Programming Language Do You Prefer?

• Total voters

ThirdDay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
toastyost
3DS FC
1934-1050-5329
Attention all programmers, this is the thread to talk about which programming language you prefer! When you vote in the poll, tell why you voted for it on the thread! You can vote for multiple languages if you can't make up your mind. If your preferred language isn't on the poll, then vote for it in the thread! I'm only putting the well-known languages on the poll.

Some things to debate about:
-Which language should be used mainly for games? Java, C++, etc.
-Which language should be used to create apps?
-Which language should be used to make websites more interactive?

Have fun debating!

Last edited:

ThirdDay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
toastyost
3DS FC
1934-1050-5329
I prefer JavaScript and Java because they both are really easy to use. I think JavaScript is the best language to make websites interactive because it can easily create buttons and all sorts of things in just a few lines of code! :D

Last edited:

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Python is the way to go. to me, it's great for raspberry pi users who code games and programs.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I love using C++ because there is very little black box stuff going on, you can manage memory however you want, and it's code is as good as the programmer. It does very little behind-the-scenes work and I like having complete control over my program.

My least favorite is Python. I despise the whitespace bracketing, I don't like the trash collecting, and it feels like I don't have full control of my program.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Learned C# and hated it but I'm more comfortable with C++.

D

Deleted member

I'm very inexperienced with programming languages, to be honest, but I've been playing with HTML here and there.

Lily♫

(✿◠‿◠)
NNID
NheroArconix
3DS FC
5112-3935-5323
Java, if only because it's what we use on my robotics team. I still need to get around to learning C/C#/C++
Python is pretty cool too.

Last edited:

ThirdDay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
toastyost
3DS FC
1934-1050-5329
There's a game called Code Combat for complete beginners. It introduces people to the basics of coding. Any person new to programming should check it out!

ThirdDay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
toastyost
3DS FC
1934-1050-5329
Tried a bit of Python in the past, I found it slightly complicated.
Try JavaScript. It's actually really simple. You should watch a guy named TheNewBoston on YouTube, his JavaScript tutorials are really good! :)

-NAFAN-

Smash Cadet
Dont mind Javascript, cus it's easy. Been trying to get my head around C++ and C# for awhile now, so that's been interesting.

Would you count HTML as a programming language though?

Lily♫

(✿◠‿◠)
NNID
NheroArconix
3DS FC
5112-3935-5323
Would you count HTML as a programming language though?
Not on it's own. With JavaScript, Maybe.
I still need to get around to learning a C language myself though.

Simperheve

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Simperheve
I've used Java, C# and HTML from that list. As noted above, HTML isn't really a programming language. Its a Markup Language like XML. Personally I don't think Java and C# are all that different from each other, but i've use Java in my day to day work, so i'll go with that. Java is very readable and well documented. If you can think of something that you need to do, someone's probably written an open source framework to do it already!

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
I really like Java for just making apps, 2D games and such because it feels really comfortable to use and I can pretty much always do what I want to do without much struggle. However, I have recently started learning C++ and the control it gives me over the system feels pretty nice. I'm looking to make 3D games (with DirectX 12 probably) and I know that C++ will work better than Java for the purpose.

interpunct

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EliteInterpunct
3DS FC
3110-5751-3360
I only know C++ well and also HTML but I absolutely hate HTML :laugh: However I hear Python and Java are amazing to create games so I want to learn those soon.

For historical reasons and hilarity, B.

Though realistically, I prefer messing around with concepts in Python to avoid having to keep track of all the bookkeeping to get a regular program running normally. However C and C++ for the general power you want to get out of stuff when you need too, but also for using C++ for any OOP you need to do as well.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Personally, out of those, I prefer C++, C# and HTML myself.
I remember I used to like Java, but... my Informatics course seemed to do its absolute best to make us hate it, and it succeeded at that, now I cringe just by hearing "I like Java". Eeeew. I don't like it. I wish I could never write a single line in Java ever again.
Anyway, C++ and C#, for me, are two very easy to use and flexible languages, and I can do plenty of nice stuff in both of those. I have lots of fun programming pages in HTML+CSS+PHP+JavaScript, and for a while I even considered PHP to be my most proficient programming language.
To be honest I barely program in JavaScript.

Suzukipot

Actual Mother trash
NNID
em12498
3DS FC
0404-9964-5652
Thus far, I've only worked with Javascript and HTML, so I suppose they're my favorites. I've dabbled with some C++ and I like it as well.

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
So does anybody else do Java?
I'm a CS major sophomore and I feel like whenever people talk about coding on the internet I have absolutely no idea whats going on. Is Java low-tier or something?

Ampers

Smash Journeyman
I'm a CS major sophomore and I feel like whenever people talk about coding on the internet I have absolutely no idea whats going on. Is Java low-tier or something?
Java is often frowned upon, especially in a professional environment. There are many reasons for this, but it's mostly due to its memory management. Unlike C++ and many other languages, Java handles all memory allocation/deallocation behind the scenes for the the programmer. This makes writing code in Java easier, but consequently can make code much less efficient. In the words of one of my old CS professors, "Java's memory management is like if you were trying do your homework, but every 10 minutes the janitor comes in and moves all of your papers around on your desk."

IMO, Java's aight. It's what I use for most of my hobby programming, including Crazy Hand. I just like it because it's super easy, and also because it gets along well with Android.

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
Java is often frowned upon, especially in a professional environment. There are many reasons for this, but it's mostly due to its memory management. Unlike C++ and many other languages, Java handles all memory allocation/deallocation behind the scenes for the the programmer. This makes writing code in Java easier, but consequently can make code much less efficient. In the words of one of my old CS professors, "Java's memory management is like if you were trying do your homework, but every 10 minutes the janitor comes in and moves all of your papers around on your desk."

IMO, Java's aight. It's what I use for most of my hobby programming, including Crazy Hand. I just like it because it's super easy, and also because it gets along well with Android.
I see. That's a shame, I would love to participate in programming and programming-related discussions, but I have trouble understanding people when they almost never use Java. That, and I'm a noob haha.

I would love to transition into some other language somehow. I suppose the easiest way to go about doing so is to just read books.

Ampers

Smash Journeyman
I see. That's a shame, I would love to participate in programming and programming-related discussions, but I have trouble understanding people when they almost never use Java. That, and I'm a noob haha.

I would love to transition into some other language somehow. I suppose the easiest way to go about doing so is to just read books.
the glory of computer programming is that once you've learned one language, it's very easy to learn a new language. The most difficult thing is wrapping your head around the way programming in general works. Once you have that down, the logic of pretty much every language is gonna be the same. I'd say the only real exception to that would be Assembly, as it's pretty different from any other programming language in terms of how you work through things logically. But for the majority of programmers, you won't need to worry about writing Assembly code...

Are you a sophomore in highschool or college?

Last edited:

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer

Java is alive and well in server/enterprise environments. Performance is low on many programmers' priority lists, but Java can be fast with smart architecture decisions. Frankly, Minecraft's existence is a miracle; it was largely developed in Java. (Though, more recent versions of the game have been rewritten in C++.)

It just depends on what you want to accomplish. Learn all you can and then decide what direction you wanna go. Again, Java is very much alive; it's just not used very often for desktop development anymore. It enables you to make Android apps, though. :)

Personally, I stick with C/C++ because I adore the low level details. I love messing with memory management strategies and wielding raw pointers. I love game dev and make use of cache-friendly algorithms (very difficult to pull off in managed languages like Java or C#).

Middy13

Smash Rookie
Java is quite prevalent in Enterprise environments. If you go into "industry" there is a very good chance you'll end up using it.

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
So it's not as bad as I thought. That's pretty reinsuring tbh; idk what enterprise is but I've always took in interest in networking/server stuff, good to see I can tie Java into that somehow.

[QUOTE="Ampers, post: 20639327, member: 292297"

Are you a sophomore in highschool or college?[/QUOTE]

College

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Super duper mega thread NECROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

But since you bring it up, a lot has changed in the last 5 years. My goto technology today is C# and .NET 5. For anyone who missed the memo, in the recent years, the .NET ecosystem was effectively rebooted as ".NET Core". From day one, it was a rewrite that is truly open source (not crappy Microsoft 2005 "open source"). In fact, Microsoft relinquished ownership of C# and .NET to a separate entity: the .NET Foundation.

Why is this is a big deal? Not only does C# perform much better than it did in years past, it is actually and truly cross-platform. The Windows-only aspects have been stripped out and isolated into external libraries that you have to voluntarily pull into your project. Now I can finally use my favorite programming language in Mac and Linux without compromises. On that same note, it finally has competent command-line tools, so you're no longer hard locked into using Visual Studio.

The other big deal is that more recent releases of .NET Core introduced a new data structure called a "span". A span is basically a lightweight view of an existing array. Not only does this cut way down on the obnoxious necessity to copy arrays, it opens the door to writing safe managed C# code that doesn't know (or care) whether the span is referencing a managed C# array or a unmanaged/native C array you got from some DLL you're talking to.

As a result, I have finally retired from C++. I feel that C# is good enough to do everything I want to do. I'm developing web servers and games all in C#, and it is bliss.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

Last edited:
Top Bottom