• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda What people don’t get about Zelda

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
This is but one of the legends of which the people speak...
That’s the opening of Windwaker, which basically explains that it’s the LEGEND of Zelda. Where am I going with this? Well online people don’t seem to understand that. Things in the series are always up to interpretation and since it’s a legend, details can kind of fade. This can actually explain a lot of things, and could explain lots of plot holes as well as being able to put BOTW on the timeline (you can put it anywhere!).
Please feel free to explain your opinion on this.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Another line from the opening states that "The memory of the kingdom vanished, but it's legend survived on the wind's breath". Only the "wind's breath"? I'd say some details got lost in that...

Who knows how accurate the Zelda games are to the actual events that took place in Hyrule...

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I agree, but the Zelda team aren't exactly helping matters by releasing things like Hyrule Historia and the Zelda encyclopedia, placing more importance on the lore and plot of the series than there needs to be. The more a series puts a focus on story, the more the fans are going to insist that there is no room for interpretation. Thins like this are why I don't exactly have a ton of fun discussing the series with other fans sometimes. They can get so defensive when you suggest that you think something happened that doesn't line up with what they perceive to be the official canon.

I'm glad they seem to be moving away from that direction what with BOTW set to never have an official Timeline placement and lots unexplained mysteries in the game, but they still keep printing these books for the hungry, story obsessed fans, so I don't think the fanbase is ever really going to truly accept that the story of the series is pretty loose and open to interpretation.

Top Bottom