• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

what other game modes would you like to see in smash ultimate?

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
So Sakurai seems to have announced a number of multiplayer modes, and there's that mysterious mode that likely is a single player mode, but do you guys think there will be more stuff to be announced? There are a few modes I'd really like to see make a return with the addition of multiplayer options, and some new modes I'd like to see.

Returning Modes:

Race to the Finish - For all the returning modes, classic single player is obvious, but I think a multiplayer version for all of them could be really fun. Obviously for race to the finish, characters have different speeds, but if the stages were designed in such a way that speed isn't your only friend, it could work.

Board the Platforms - again classic single player is obvious, but multiplayer for this I think can be especially fun. There could be a number of options for this mode with the default basically being about "who can board the most platforms". There can be a number of different stages, some that scroll, and some that stay in place. Platforms can appear and players have to land on them. Once a platform is boarded, the player who boards it gets a point. At the end of the timer, the one with the most platforms boarded wins. Or another option could be the first one to get X number of platforms wins. There could also be different types of platforms that are worth more points that are found in more difficult areas on the stage. Some platforms could be moving while others stay still. There are tones of ways to make a mode like this interesting. There could also be an option where you can lose platforms you've boarded if someone else boards the platform after you, so then it would be a constant frantic struggle going back and forth. Another option could be something like - the longer you stay on a platform, the more points you get. Some stages might need to be designed specifically for this. Here players would constantly be fighting each other to get on one or 2 platforms that appear and disappear (or maybe just one platform that is always there). And all these options can have all kinds of other ideas put added to them. I really want this mode to happen!

Break the Targets - This needs to be brought back properly - in full for single player, and again id like a multiplayer mode. Here there would be either a timer where people would aim to hit the most targets, or they'd have to race to hit X number of targets. Again there could be areas that are hard to get to where more targets can be aquired, so players can choose their path. Oh and obviously if you die you lose some or all of your targets.

10/50/100/endless Man Melee/Brawl/whatever you wana call it lol - single player mode, as well as multi player co-op, and competitive modes. In competitive mode, you'd just have to kill the most bots to win. This would be chaotic, but i think worth putting in cause it would be so easy to implement.

New modes:

Deathmatch - I've never understood why this has never been an option for smash. In normal vs. Smash, rather than last man standing or "most kills", there should also be a "first to X number of kills" mode (called deathmatch or something simiar). It's so simple, and it's standard for most games involving kill count.

Assist Trophy Standoff - a mode similar to 10/100/etc man melee but rather than the enemies being random bots, they'd be assist trophies.

Boss Rush - this has been talked about a lot already. Obviously we'd have to face off against bosses untill we win or die

King of the Hill - here players need to secure a section of the stage which is outlined with a colour or glow to gain points. The longer someone is in the area, the more points are awarded. So everyone would have to fight to keep others out of that space. If more than one person are in an area, no points are awarded.

Smash Olympics - this is something I've wanted forever, and I used to think of it as Smash Soccer. Here you'd have to hit the soccer ball (or another special ball made for the mode) into some kind of net to gain points. I always used to think the soccer ball would be the obvious option for this, but I recently played Slap City which has something called "Slap Ball" as a mode, and it's ball is awesome. Basically the ball has its own physics. It's a bit floaty so you can do "keep ups" with it, and the more hits the ball gets before hitting the ground, the more points are awarded to the scorer. I think the soccer ball should still be an option (in fact maybe there could be a number of balls that can be selected that have different physics to mix things up a bit). So as for stages, there could be stages with normal soccer nets, stages with soccer nets up high on a wall, stages with moving soccer nets, stages with basketball nets, and stages with nets that are just holes in the ground. This gives players a lot of variety right off the bat, and on top of it, there can also be special stage hazards that not only hurt players, but also block shots from being scored (obviously these can be turned off).

I think with these fairly simple modes using the Smash engine, the fun of smash ultimate can last forever. Any other ideas? What would you guys like to see?

Last edited:

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I hope the game will have better game modes, cause almost all secondary modes in Smash 4 are very irrelevant or boring or too short to me. Just a good campaign already helps a lot, but Smash can have many more good modes.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
There's is a games and more icon no explored

So probably hiding a few returning modes and new ones

Master/crazy orders would be a cool return.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
There's is a games and more icon no explored

So probably hiding a few returning modes and new ones

Master/crazy orders would be a cool return.
Oh is there? I didn't notice that. That's sick! It wasn't explored at all in the direct?

You're not talking about the blurred mode are u?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Oh is there? I didn't notice that. That's sick! It wasn't explored at all in the direct?

You're not talking about the blurred mode are u?
Not at all

Look at the menu again it's the yellow one "games and more" we didn't dive into that and that's no question where classic mode is.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Not at all

Look at the menu again it's the yellow one "games and more" we didn't dive into that and that's no question where classic mode is.
Oh damn ur right! I'm blind lol. That's so sweet, I wonder what he has in store.

So I was just thinking about other modes that could be interesting, and I was trying to think of ways to make home run contest multiplayer, but I don't think that would work very well other than co-op. Anyone have any other ideas for that?

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Bowling and volleyball

King of the hill
I was thinking of bowling and voleyball, they could kinda be under "smash olympics" (or smash sports or whatever name we Wana give it). Voleyball would work quite well actualy,the ball could have the same physics as the ball I talked about for my "smash olympics" description.

I'm not sure how bowling would work though. What would the aim be? Cause conventional bowling needs a 3d environment. Would you need to damage a ball enough to make it knock enough pins down in the distance (similar mechanics to home run contest, minus the sandbag and home run bat)?

And for king of the hill, did u have the same thing in mind as me?

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I was thinking of bowling and voleyball, they could kinda be under "smash olympics" (or smash sports or whatever name we Wana give it). Voleyball would work quite well actualy,the ball could have the same physics as the ball I talked about for my "smash olympics" description.

I'm not sure how bowling would work though. What would the aim be? Cause conventional bowling needs a 3d environment. Would you need to damage a ball enough to make it knock enough pins down in the distance (similar mechanics to home run contest, minus the sandbag and home run bat)?

And for king of the hill, did u have the same thing in mind as me?
Yeah bowling couldn’t work thinking about it now,

But for King of the hill yeah pretty much as you said it,

But if you played Halo, it has th8s game mode called oddball where you hold a ball for points, I think that could work in Smash,

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Yeah bowling couldn’t work thinking about it now,

But for King of the hill yeah pretty much as you said it,

But if you played Halo, it has th8s game mode called oddball where you hold a ball for points, I think that could work in Smash,
Oh ya! That could be fun too.

They already have a mode for that. It's called Timed Smash. Everyone hates it for some reason though. :awesome:
Oh right haha! What I was thinking (and ill fix this) was in last man standing, there could be a mode where kills can be taken into account for winning/losing. Nothings worse than people who survive by avoiding a fight in 1v1v1v1.

Edit: Oh and my main idea for thisis a "first to x kills" mode. Just remembered lol

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I'm hoping for much more online modes. Brawl had them in the form of Homerun Contest and Multi-Man Brawl and I think Target Practice, but they didn't return in Smash 4, which is a shame, because there's much more to Smash than its standard mode. Something like online Smash Tour should suffice, but more improved since Smash Tour in Smash 4 didn't sit too well with others.

King of the hill would be dope! I don't know if you count stage builder as a mode but i would really want a good one this time.

Especially after the stage builder we got in smash 4... or whatever it was... i hate it...

Would be cool to have a more fleshed out 'stamina' mode too, where you have Hp instead of % like a more classic fighting game.

Last edited:

evildevil97

Smash Apprentice
NNID
evildevil97
Smash Run
Melee-style Adventure Mode
Melee-style Break the Targets
Trophy Rush from Smash 4
A mode based on Wii U's Classic Mode.
Crazy Orders

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
They already have a mode for that. It's called Timed Smash. Everyone hates it for some reason though. :awesome:
People hate timed smash bc you can get a kill at the very last second that wins you the game, even if it's a cheeze kill or an SD. Focusing on a final score rather than tracking the success of each player in the match is less formal. Also time is usually associated with items, stage hazards and party-style gameplay.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I just thought of another great mode. I dont know why i didnt mention it in my OP, but i'll be adding it. Capture the flag! This is another really simple mode that would be really fun in the smash bros setting. Characters would have to go grab flags from one end of the stage, and have to bring them back to their base. Opposing players would be doing the same while also having to hit the characters carrying flags to knock the flag out of their hands. I can see this being so much fun.

Above the game "oddball" was mentioned from halo, and that could fall under the same category as capture the flag. There could be a classic capture the flag game, and then a version where you have to hold the flag for as long as possible, and the one that holds it the longest by the end of the timer would win.

These fun modes can rack up all day. I dont know why there arent tones and tones of little modes like these for smash. Sakurai wants to make it fun for everyone, and accessible to everyone. These modes would be perfect for that - not try-hard modes like smash run or smash party or whatever that boardgame thing was called. Some of the most fun modes in games are the little modes that arent based on the core game mechanics. Ive had so much fun with random modes in games like turok, or timesplitters. The same can be done for a game like smash bros (and pretty much every nintendo game - mario, zelda etc).

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I personally want to see both Smash Tour and Smash Run return, hopefully with better game-tweak options (such as game length, choosing a final battle, etc.).

D

Deleted member

It would be nice to see coin slots from melee in Ultimate

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I don't know if you count stage builder as a mode but i would really want a good one this time.

Especially after the stage builder we got in smash 4... or whatever it was... i hate it...
I'm definitely hoping for a Stage Builder that has everything the Stage Builders from Brawl and Smash 4 had. I was rather annoyed at the removal of ice, falling blocks, conveyor belts, carousels, and ladders, though the magma was a great replacement for the spikes. Free-drawing platforms was also a great feature, even though drawing complex platforms was admittedly an exercise in frustration (one errant twitch and the whole thing was ruined... argh!). However, the limit of 100 stages in Smash 4 was a huge pain, compared to the I-don't-even-know-it-was-huge-no-really-I-made-over-300-stages in Brawl. I would also want to see more features, like free-drawn platform paths, better platform drawing, Danger Zones, destructible terrain (as in destroyable by attacks), active hazards (e.g. harmful sparks, spikes, enemies, etc. moving through the stage, as well as moving cannons), stage sequencing (i.e. transformations), and a massive cap on custom stages. I'm hoping to be able to really go wild!

I personally want to see both Smash Tour and Smash Run return, hopefully with better game-tweak options (such as game length, choosing a final battle, etc.).
I can't believe I forgot to mention the bonus stages — Break the Targets, Board the Platforms, and Race to the Finish. (I'm not counting Snag the Trophies — that was a lame replacement for Board the Platforms.) I was not happy about them getting gradually phased out to the point of near-complete absence from Smash 4 (Target Blast is fun, but it's not Break The Targets). Granted, with a roster of over 70 characters, giving each character unique bonus stages would be an incredibly tall order, so I'm expecting something more along the lines of Brawl's Target Smash.

It would be nice to see coin slots from melee in Ultimate
I have no idea what you're talking about. Melee didn't have a mode named "Coin Slots", and if you're thinking of the Trophy Lottery, I have to wonder why you even play Smash, as I imagine that somebody who's excitement-averse enough to prefer a gachapon lottery over a futuristic coin launcher (as seen in Brawl) or the box-breaking fun of Trophy Rush in Smash 4 would be unable to handle a fighting game. (And, yes, I have spent hours playing the Coin Launcher.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm definitely hoping for a Stage Builder that has everything the Stage Builders from Brawl and Smash 4 had. I was rather annoyed at the removal of ice, falling blocks, conveyor belts, carousels, and ladders, though the magma was a great replacement for the spikes. Free-drawing platforms was also a great feature, even though drawing complex platforms was admittedly an exercise in frustration (one errant twitch and the whole thing was ruined... argh!). However, the limit of 100 stages in Smash 4 was a huge pain, compared to the I-don't-even-know-it-was-huge-no-really-I-made-over-300-stages in Brawl. I would also want to see more features, like free-drawn platform paths, better platform drawing, Danger Zones, destructible terrain (as in destroyable by attacks), active hazards (e.g. harmful sparks, spikes, enemies, etc. moving through the stage), stage sequencing (i.e. transformations), and a massive cap on custom stages. I'm hoping to be able to really go wild!

I can't believe I forgot to mention the bonus stages — Break the Targets, Board the Platforms, and Race to the Finish. (I'm not counting Snag the Trophies — that was a lame replacement for Board the Platforms.) I was not happy about them getting gradually phased out to the point of near-complete absence from Smash 4 (Target Blast is fun, but it's not Break The Targets). Granted, with a roster of over 70 characters, giving each character unique bonus stages would be an incredibly tall order, so I'm expecting something more along the lines of Brawl's Target Smash.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Melee didn't have a mode named "Coin Slots", and if you're thinking of the Trophy Lottery, I have to wonder why you even play Smash, as I imagine that somebody who's excitement-averse enough to prefer a gachapon lottery over a futuristic coin launcher (as seen in Brawl) or the box-breaking fun of Trophy Rush in Smash 4 would be unable to handle a fighting game. (And, yes, I have spent hours playing the Coin Launcher.)
Yes sorry I meant the coin launcher from brawl. No need to be rude. I haven't played brawl in a while so I forget what it was called. Why do I play Smash? Because its great freakin' game? Also, I just thought id suggest memorable features of Melee from my childhood but apparently the offends you for some reason?

Last edited by a moderator:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Yes sorry I meant the coin launcher from brawl. No need to be rude. I haven't played brawl in a while so I forget what it was called. Why do I play Smash? Because its great freakin' game? Also, I just thought id suggest memorable features of Melee from my childhood but apparently the offends you for some reason?
The Trophy Lottery from Melee is pretty boring compared to the Coin Launcher or Trophy Rush.

D

Deleted member

The Trophy Lottery from Melee is pretty boring compared to the Coin Launcher or Trophy Rush.
I am aware of that. The coin launcher is far better. However, telling me that I cant handle a fighting game based of my preference of modes in a game is very disrespectful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I am aware of that. The coin launcher is far better. However, telling me that I cant handle a fighting game based of my preference of modes in a game is very disrespectful.
Whoa, I wasn't trying to be disrespectful, I was just making a wisecrack! Geez, this is killing the mood of the thread...

D

Deleted member

Whoa, I wasn't trying to be disrespectful, I was just making a wisecrack! Geez, this is killing the mood of the thread...
Well I didnt take it as funny, but if that's what you meant, ill let it go.

Mgl

Smash Apprentice
Back to the topic I would like an expanded version of smash run, where you can actually see your opponents

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Back to the topic I would like an expanded version of smash run, where you can actually see your opponents
I'd like to be able to actually fight your opponents mid-collection-phase.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Also, I’d like an augment to the handicap option where players could start with more or fewer stocks, points, or coins (depending on battle type) than the other players. We’ve already seen uneven-stock battles in pretty much every iteration of Classic Mode and Event Matches ever. This option would open up so many possibilities. For starters, it would make crew battles more convenient by removing the need for repeated self-destructing at the start of each round. It would also allow for team battles with uneven numbers of fighters without making the match outrageously skewed in the favor of the biggest team — the outnumbered player(s) could have additional lives or a head-start to make up the difference. There are other additional ways to play this could open up that I can't think of right now... basically, I would love to see this sort of option be made available.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Since Squad Strike is apparently NOT just like a normal Stock match where each stock can be a different character...I want a mode that's like a normal Stock match where each stock can be a different character.

Also want a Boss Rush mode for all the boss fights in whatever the adventure mode turns out to be.

Last edited:

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Since Squad Strike is apparently NOT just like a normal Stock match where each stock can be a different character...I want a mode that's like a normal Stock match where each stock can be a different character.

Also want a Boss Rush mode for all the boss fights in whatever the adventure mode turns out to be.
What is squad strike then?

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
You mentioned "Smash Soccer", and I've wanted something akin to that ever since Snag the Trophies from Melee.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
You mentioned "Smash Soccer", and I've wanted something akin to that ever since Snag the Trophies from Melee.
You should look up Dorfball. Would love to see the return of Stage Creator for games like that and Duelist.

I'd also love to see a story mode, or at least another Adventure Mode, where you run through various gameworlds, like Melee's. Or at least the Mario/Zelda/Metroid/IC portions.

Last edited:

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I think small game modes are played only a few times, and never more for most people. They are mostly fun only in the initial moments and then you feel you need to go back to the main big game modes. So, if a new game mode is going to be made, I expect it to be more than a small extra game mode like the Target Blast or Home Run and other small game modes.
Anyway, I would like if it had some kind of Challenge Horde Mode, where you need to advance through hordes of Mii Fighters, and then things start to get more complicated with hordes of Pokemons, and then hordes of a mix of characters and characters with special conditions like giant enemies, enemies with items, and then, fight all the roster (not all appearing at the same time of course, but in waves of enemies) and also bosses, that in this mode could be giant enemies from the roster.
Like an evolution of the Multi-Man Smash, a mode that I really like the concept but it is just too simple and fast, and I want this mode to be really big, with levels to advance and fighting all the hordes in many different stages of the game or original stages like a side scrooling game where you need to fight all enemies to advance through the levels.

Last edited:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I would love to see a truly enhanced stage builder. There's a ton of stuff I am hoping to see out of this.

This would be my dream stage builder. It goes into a lot of detail.
Platforms can be drawn, and they can change style much like in Smash 4. One of those styles for all background types is ice, and it's functional. The grid would be enabled, and you can use controllers to more accurately create your shape instead of having to rely on a touch pad.

Various hazards such as conveyor belt, ladders, springs, cannons, spikes, lava, drop blocks, and moving platforms all return with new stage builder features to enhance creation capabilities for advanced stage creators like myself. Conveyor belts can have their speed configured. Springs and cannons can have their strength configured, and lines are shown to show how far fighters will travel and where they will stop. The delay on drop boxes falling from when someone steps on one can be extended or reduced. Moving platforms can now be styled and sized freely. People can also create destinations the platform travels to between the start and end, make the path loop in circles instead of backtracking at an end point, configure the speed at which it travels between said destinations, and even stop it at certain locations for set amounts or random amounts of time.

Builders can also create spawn points, and set which ones are enabled based on the quantity of players fighting.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
You should look up Dorfball. Would love to see the return of Stage Creator for games like that and Duelist
that needs to be a full proper mode lol

I think small game modes are played only a few times, and never more for most people. They are mostly fun only in the initial moments and then you feel you need to go back to the main big game modes. So, if a new game mode is going to be made, I expect it to be more than a small extra game mode like the Target Blast or Home Run and other small game modes.
Anyway, I would like if it had some kind of Challenge Horde Mode, where you need to advance through hordes of Mii Fighters, and then things start to get more complicated with hordes of Pokemons, and then hordes of a mix of characters and characters with special conditions like giant enemies, enemies with items, and then, fight all the roster (not all appearing at the same time of course, but in waves of enemies) and also bosses, that in this mode could be giant enemies from the roster.
Like an evolution of the Multi-Man Smash, a mode that I really like the concept but it is just too simple and fast, and I want this mode to be really big, with levels to advance and fighting all the hordes in many different stages of the game or original stages like a side scrooling game where you need to fight all enemies to advance through the levels.
not if the mode is fun.. if its fun people will play it forever.

Last edited:

Matoi

Smash Apprentice
Smash Run with online, and everyone being on the same map
Story mode

Top Bottom