• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What music do you want for the Midgar stage

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
REACTION:
...ONLY TWO SONGS (for Cloud's inclusion, excluding the remix of the "Final Fantasy 7 Victory Fanfare")?! Are you kidding me? :eek::crazy::facepalm::cry:
Wow...that is an absolute musical travesty, and a dis-service to all of the amazing Final Fantasy music in existence.. At least put "Opening - Bombing Mission" of Final Fantasy 7 in the game, since it featured in Cloud's trailer! (personally, I guess it would clash with the Midgar stage aesthetic, but if Environmental Noises, "Ai No Uta" (from Pikmin), and the Pokemon Center musical theme (which plays in places of healing rather than battle) can make it into Super Smash Bros., any videogame song should be fair game, honestly, even if only for listening in the Sound Test).

I am just stunned that the song "One-Winged Angel" did not make it in at all; yet another example of why things are (largely/for the most part) never "obvious/100% guaranteed".. Ugh, this sets a sucky precedent for song inclusion of playable characters' franchises (then again, Final Fantasy is currently just following suit with Mr. Game & Watch's franchise's song number).. Well, I'm grateful that out of our 2 song slots, we got 2 amazing songs from Final Fantasy 7 for them (although it took me a little while to warm up to portions of "Those Who Fight Further")..

All I can do at this point is hope that some unlikely future Super Smash Bros. 4 update rectifies the issue, or wait until Super Smash Bros. 5.. :(

---

SONG + STAGE AESTHETIC:
Now, for the set of "Those Who Fight (Let the Battles Begin!)" and "Those Who Fight Further (Fight On!)" (can I just mention again how I love the way that the track titles are named, along with how they parallel each other in terms of "fighting further = going beyond a normal battle and challenging a boss"? :3):
While I think that "Those Who Fight" is the better song overall (although it kind of fizzled out when it got near the looping point (basically, the part of the song that didn't play during Cloud's reveal trailer), something which was kind of depressing since the rest of the song easily now ranks as one of my favorite videogame songs ever.. :<), "Those Who Fight Further" seems more fitting of the Midgar stage's cyberpunk aesthetics, conveying a nice sense of "immediate threat at the forefront amidst other background occurrences (such as a boss juxtaposed with the threat of rushing water)"...I think the trailers' usage of "Those Who Fight Further", particularly when showcasing the Midgar stage, heavily influenced my opinion as well.. My opinion on the more "fitting" song might change once I can actually play on the Midgar stage with Cloud, but this intent is mostly based on initial observation.. I'm kind of surprised that "Those Who Fight" is considered as the default song for the Midgar stage, but then again, I guess it's to be expected..

FINAL FANTASY 7 VICTORY THEME:
Props to the people who guessed that the remix of the "Final Fantasy 7 Victory Fanfare" would override the standard "Super Smash Bros. 4 Results Screen" music; I personally didn't think it would happen, but of course Cloud has to be unique.. >_> Granted, the "Final Fantasy Victory Fanfare" is famous in its own right in the realm of videogaming (moreso the version from Final Fantasy 1, probably aided by Brentalfloss's comedic lyrics. As for me, I like the first version and also have a soft spot for the version from Final Fantasy 2). The only thing I dislike is if other future franchises' "Super Smash Bros. results screen music" will go the same route and loop, or let Cloud's victory fanfare remain unique in implementation. For instance, provided that Isaac of the Golden Sun series ever joins the Super Smash Bros. roster, I think that the "Golden Sun: The Broken Seal Victory Fanfare" is just as much a nicely-composed and catchy fanfare, although I can see it being truncated rather than being allowed to loop..

Not going to post the one's in the trailer since it's obvious we're getting those anyway.
Oh, how I wish this were true (at least regarding "Opening - Bombing Mission").. :crying: The developers really need to stop excluding songs that feature in the trailers but not the game itself (especially trailer-exclusive remixes)...but then again, pesky licensing issues for third-party music.. :mad:

Last edited:

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
I don't think I'll stop complaining about the music department for FF for a while. I've pretty much accepted it already but damn, it is just too disappointing considering all the great music from VII, and the rest of the series. That fake Midgar music list leak looked better haha.

I even looked away from when the game tells you "Cloud joins the battle!" and the new music you get, just to surprise myself of what they put in and boy I was surprised. x_x

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Was very disappointed that we only got two tracks for Midgar...FFVII has so much amazing music, it's almost criminal...

Bombing Mission - Thought this was a no brainer, especially since the beginning of the song played on the trailer...
Crazy Motorcycle Chase - EVERYONE who's played the game remembers the motorcycle chase before leaving Midgar...the music is one of several reasons why they do...
J-E-N-O-V-A - was actually my most wanted track for Midgar...got so hyped when I first heard this play back in the day...it is a very memorable theme that plays several times throughout the game as well
One Winged Angel - probably one of the most iconic boss themes in video game history...

Don't get me wrong the two battle themes are great as well...probably were picked because they are likely the two tracks you hear the most playing the game...

At least Cloud is a pretty damn awesome fighter (sucky recovery though)...

Bluekirby2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bluekirby2
WOW, NO ONE WINGED ANGEL.

WHY ARE THERE ONLY TWO SONGS.

I SWEAR, THIS BETTER BE FIXED IN THE FEBRUARY UPDATE.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
It's disappointing but it was probably because securing soundtracks for use in this game can be quite difficult due to requiring the composer's input as well. For example, Pikmin's Ai no Uta probably didn't make it in because they would probably have to pay royalties to the singer who performed in it, so it may end up getting pricey, remember how they said in 50 fact extravaganza that the entire soundtrack selection might be pricier than the game itself? That is not an exaggeration. I'm not entirely sure how the whole deal might work, but it must be something along the lines of copyright, licensing, having the composer's blessing, etc.
It's a shame but even Sakurai magic has it's limits.

Last edited:
Top Bottom