• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What MUs are Marth's worst in order from worst to least worst?

TKD

Smash Lord
In my opinion, MK is Marth's worst match-up. He can easily open Marth up, Marth is easy to uair string and although not too consistent it's possible for Marth to die from edgeguarding. I've also seen Ito and MK Leo go MK vs Marth and it looks like a nightmare.

Maybe Bayonetta's bad too; overall, I haven't seen a good outcome for Marth vs Bayo at high level.
Zero's stated Marth may be bad vs Bowser; I can't be confident about that because nair is good at controlling the neutral against medium to tall characters and Bowser's mediocre roll shouldn't be effective at crossing you up. At the same time, invincible fists may be a problem.

I suspect Falco because his edgeguard is very effective; fastfall fair can trade with upb and kill us if we have no jump, on top of his usual shenanigans (like high rage fair outright KOing at like 70% because lolkissofdeath).

Finally, I personally suspect Rosalina because I've had trouble against her and Luma seems relatively hard to kill while staying safe, but then again nair is too good at least directly against her tall frame. Also, MK Leo goes Cloud against Rosa, but that may be more about that match-up being extremely good for Cloud, as opposed to being bad for Marth.

In order, it would be:

MK
Bayo
Bowser
Falco
Rosa

And I'm only confident about MK and Bayo.

Last edited:

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
I'm a Lucina before I'm a Marth but they share the same Matchups. Here's my Top 5 worst from Very bad to not as bad
:4marth:: :4sonic::rosalina::4sheik::4diddy::4bayonetta:
:4lucina:::rosalina::4sonic::4diddy::4sheik::4bayonetta:

It's basically the same and nothing is worse than like 45:55. We have like 5-9 matchups that miiiight be 45:55 their favor. The rest are even at the worst

Last edited:

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Tbh after seeing a few games, analyzing what Marth can do, and reading (and getting salty) on the Marth's weakness's topic on this forum..
I can say, with a (slightly) informed opinion, that Sonic is -2 for poor Marth.

Let me explain my horrible reasoning.
Marth, while he DOES have an incredible defense game, really safe moves, wonderful mobility, and a decent recovery. Sonic, hes a much safer neutral, much faster frame data, and his mobility makes it really difficult for Marth to catch Sonic with tippers, and even harder to kill the little blue screw ball unless you're just blatantly throwing out fsmash and usmash like its your birthright, Sonic can force Marth to play on the offense, if he plays defensively, Sonic is going to win that battle of defenses. Sonic can also drag Marth to his knees with Spin dash, yes, Marth does have the tools necessary to combat it, the problem is actually timing them so it hits, that is surprisingly hard for Marth, as nair goes too high, fair also goes too high, the hitbox JUST BARELY misses. Marth has to resort to Jab and his tilts, and to get the tipper on any of them while Sonic is spindashing, you pretty much need the reactionary skills of a house fly. If Marth can get a decent lead on Sonic, he probably won't catch up, the problem is actually being patient enough to catch him and put him down without getting screwed by Sonic's really (??? idk) good throws. Sonic can also punish whiffed moves (not things like his tilts, but things like his smashes, dancing blade, and his aerials if fastfell) from over half stage away just due to his absurd running speed. Another thing to point, Marth has trouble landing, but with Sonic, it's amplified, The hitbox on uair is really big and long ranged, and its not like Mario's uair, you can't just cut through it with dair, and if Sonic is put into a bad position aka being juggled, well one spring to dair ought to end that right quick. Now, about the killing competition, Sonic is able to get damage on Marth much faster than vice versa, but killing is a whole other story, Any of sonic's finishers are easily walled out except bair, which allows Marth to catch up and Maybe get an early kill if he DOES get a tipper. Marth better not let his guard down though, Sonic has 3 kill throws, bthrow in particular being great, especially with rage. Sonic also can get in on him for near free as Marth lacks a projectile and a fast get off me option, Sonic can also retreat nearly for free if things get ugly for him, campy sonic is he(ck) for Marth to deal with, as well. As Sonic can run away from any of Marth's attempts to space, and run right out of range but still in range to get the jump on him if the Marth gets impatient.

Now for the good things for Marth in the matchup, Marth has a really big range advantage, not as big as Mario though, as Sonic actually has better range than Mario on almost all of his moves. Back to the point though, Marth can space rather well against Sonic in the air...Most of the time, Sonic can beat Marth's range if he gets up in his face to use his aerials, another thing to point is, Sonic has to be weary of using Spindash, yes I said Marth has trouble punishing it, however, if Sonic uses it randomly, Marth can dancing blade it rather easily. Sonic also has to be weary of Marth's tipper, as one wrong move, smash, etc, and it can lead to an early, VERY early, death. Marth's jab is also a very viable tool in keeping Sonic out, it also leads into dancing blade which can put heavy pain on Sonic. I don't have much for killing without tippers, however. As Sonic will usually kill Marth beforehand, Sonic's bthrow DOES kill earlier than Marth's uthrow.

So there you go, horrible opinion.

Top Bottom