• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What motivates a Ganon?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Extremely underused is correct. Good is a drastic overstatement.
You obviously don't know the definition of zoning or air camping. You probably don't appreciate how much guaranteed kill setups matter.

Jigglypuff's learning curve is indeed high, since you must rely on baiting and mobility, rather than range, to zone. However people seriously underestimate how awesome mobility is.

She's also much better at scoring KOs than people give her credit for, and has the option of stalling the timer.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Jigglypuff has no guaranteed kill setups, lol. And she's also terrible. Don't tell me I don't know about all those things b/c I play Wario, who is what jiggs wishes she could be.

Superspright

Smash Lord
Sonic is not even in the snickerbar tier. He's actually pretty decent if you can play his camp game pretty well.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Jigglypuff has no guaranteed kill setups, lol. And she's also terrible. Don't tell me I don't know about all those things b/c I play Wario, who is what jiggs wishes she could be.
Drillrest. Learn hit confirmation and it's pretty much guaranteed. You just need to watch for the trip. Kills people at like 80%, and it's not hard to set up safely.

Sonic however is in fact bad, as none of his kill moves have any viable application.

Christian_CAO

Smash Apprentice
I'm new to the Boards, but not to Ganon...

What motivates my using Ganon?
Simple, Sheer intimidation.I play mostly defensive and I have to be the worst Ganon
player out there, but there's nothing like playing a match with friends and hearing them scream in agony from the tech chasing and inevitable unholy spike that is Ganons Dair.
There are tons of reasons for choosing a character, but I chose to use Ganon because of
his presence. I'm a predictable noob when it comes to Ganon. You could read my next attack like a book, but he's fun to use so whatever.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Drillrest. Learn hit confirmation and it's pretty much guaranteed. You just need to watch for the trip. Kills people at like 80%, and it's not hard to set up safely.

Sonic however is in fact bad, as none of his kill moves have any viable application.
You're not gonna be getting the chance to drillrest good characters with puff, lol. Plus it doesn't have a very high triprate and the move is easy to SDI. A move that relies on luck of the draw while being already difficult to use isn't exactly a kill setup worth mentioning.

Bahamut777

Smash Ace
I started maining Random his week just to get some air from Ganon's manly smell...

The conclusion: Sonic, the Edgehog

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You're not gonna be getting the chance to drillrest good characters with puff, lol. Plus it doesn't have a very high triprate and the move is easy to SDI. A move that relies on luck of the draw while being already difficult to use isn't exactly a kill setup worth mentioning.
You're not punishing Jigglypuff often for doing this if she knows good spacing. All she has to do is get away with it enough times until she confirms a trip. And it kills stupidly early, even if Rest was in fact weakened.

And then she's really good at edgeguarding. Rollout is stupidly hard for most characters to punish significantly. Pound is a gay move that ***** spotdodges and wins priority wars, not to mention it does a ton of shield damage. Jigglypuff is good, just merely outclassed in terms of weight and raw power, but she has the tools to play a good zoning game and stay safe.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
You're not punishing Jigglypuff often for doing this if she knows good spacing. All she has to do is get away with it enough times until she confirms a trip. And it kills stupidly early, even if Rest was in fact weakened.

And then she's really good at edgeguarding. Rollout is stupidly hard for most characters to punish significantly. Pound is a gay move that ***** spotdodges and wins priority wars, not to mention it does a ton of shield damage. Jigglypuff is good, just merely outclassed in terms of weight and raw power, but she has the tools to play a good zoning game and stay safe.
Rollout sucks. It's easy to dodge it. Some moves can outpriorise it or jump over it and wait until it uses it, which is easy on stages with plataforms. But Pound is a good move.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Rollout sucks. It's easy to dodge it. Some moves can outpriorise it or jump over it and wait until it uses it, which is easy on stages with plataforms. But Pound is a good move.
The point about Rollout is that it is extremely difficult to punish significantly. Almost never will this move get punished by another kill move. That alone is more important than anything, considering how extremely powerful this move is. I don't care that it is avoidable or can be outprioritized if it's hard to punish, and kills you at like 80%. It's stupidly easy to get away with. Of course, because it's telegraphed, it's not broken. However, it is a stupidly safe and powerful KO option.

NatP

Smash Ace
And not to mention that rollout can pwn ganon's rco lag pretty badly.

Also I play ganon because well, ganon's awesome. Sure he might not be one of tourney mains, but he is without a doubt the character I have used the most, be it in friendlies, ffa's, etc (yes all online). Unfortunately, making the transition from online ganon to offline ganon is one of the hardest thing ever, because you have to change your play style completely.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
The point about Rollout is that it is extremely difficult to punish significantly. Almost never will this move get punished by another kill move. That alone is more important than anything, considering how extremely powerful this move is. I don't care that it is avoidable or can be outprioritized if it's hard to punish, and kills you at like 80%. It's stupidly easy to get away with. Of course, because it's telegraphed, it's not broken. However, it is a stupidly safe and powerful KO option.
Well, you can punish with another killing move if you use a such move that has higher priority than Rollout that is timed perfectly. But it's right that it's near impossible to punish the ending lag. It's similar to MK's forward smash, but in other ways. You can punish the start-up, but hard to punish the ending lag.

And also, Rollout kills early, but many characters kill Jigglypuff even earlier. Safe against a lot of characters. But obviously it's far easier to land it on FD than other stages due lack of plataforms. But though it's a safe move, it's still a poor move against most characters. Like Zelda's Din, which is good against like 5 characters, including Ganondorf, but a horrible move against any other characters.

I also agree with A2ZOMG, it's very satisfying to gimp, kill and hit with Ganondorf and plus, I second main Ganondorf because is fun and the sound FX of his attacks are awesome. Hey A2ZOMG you still use Mario or you use Ganondorf more now?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
In tournament, I main Mario/G&W, and 2nd Luigi and ROB.

I tried using Ganondorf in a tournament set. I decided at that point that I don't have what it takes to make such an awful character do well in tournament. I did however get the satisfaction of landing a U-tilt in that set.

tbh I don't know who I use more. I know that I use Ganondorf a lot in friendlies still, but my main is actually Mario/G&W.

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
His raw awesomeness combined with his manly power. You know you're going to kill with him. It's not like you go into a game with a weak character working towards a kill you never get. It's fun.

:034:

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Fsmash.

And the fact I can freestyle basically anything while I'm fighting and it becomes badass if I K.O. someone.

The fact that I get to say whatever the **** I want while I'm playing, and people will just take it as me being in character. And that I am immune to any trash talking, because if anyone feels the need to start abusing your confidence, you just remind them... 'I'm using Ganon. ' o_0

@red: I was experimenting!

I found that Fox looks cool left of that vert bar in my sig, so Ganny is up there by my name to stay.
Now it's a question of whether to reveal the secret of my super secret tech.

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord
Fsmash.

And the fact I can freestyle basically anything while I'm fighting and it becomes badass if I K.O. someone.

The fact that I get to say whatever the **** I want while I'm playing, and people will just take it as me being in character. And that I am immune to any trash talking, because if anyone feels the need to start abusing your confidence, you just remind them... 'I'm using Ganon. ' o_0
you changed your character icon :(

noradseven

Smash Lord
I would just like to point out I have had plenty of people when they lose to my ganon their excuse is well im not my main, ganon isn't my main and he is ganon what kind of argument is that.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
You obviously don't know the definition of zoning or air camping. You probably don't appreciate how much guaranteed kill setups matter.

Jigglypuff's learning curve is indeed high, since you must rely on baiting and mobility, rather than range, to zone. However people seriously underestimate how awesome mobility is.

She's also much better at scoring KOs than people give her credit for, and has the option of stalling the timer.
If you mained Jigglypuff you would understand the flaws in her metagame. Yes, her playstyle consists of air camping, baiting, and wall of pain due to her incredible aireal mobility.

Guaranteed kill setups? Drill rest is reliable, but due to Brawl's hitstun, or lack therof, it's not a combo; just about every character has a way of avoiding the obvious rest. Besides that, F-air is the only other kill move that can be "set up", but again is never guaranteed.

Her poor ground game and inability to attack head on makes it hard for her to score K.O.s.

Now Ganon, his sheer awsomeness grants him immunity from being banned for being such a horrible character.

bookman

Smash Rookie
I usually don't play high level people so using Ganon is the most fun i've had in Brawl. Landing a Ganoncide on anyone is so amazinly satsifying its not even funny. I also love the pure awesomeness that Ganon's moveset promotes. Besides i've made it almost a point to use Zelda Characters in Smash bros. because i love that game too much.

Superspright

Smash Lord
I usually don't play high level people so using Ganon is the most fun i've had in Brawl. Landing a Ganoncide on anyone is so amazinly satsifying its not even funny.

You're right; it is ****ing awesome. I find doing ANYTHING with Ganon proves that you are good at this game. Ganon requires strong fundamentals coupled with excellent reaction speed, and prediction. If you can beat someone with Ganny it is like you beat them with every character in the game--at once. He is so awful that beating anyone with him warrants many many luls.

Superspright

Smash Lord
I love doing stomps through my ally into kills or stomps through shields sliding off into kills and stuff.

bookman

Smash Rookie
Also another aspect of Ganon is the pure hopelessness his attacks bring. Whenever i pull off a huge murder choke tech chase or even if once in a blue moon i get a lucky Warlock punch the opponent almost just gives up.

TheMike

Smash Lord
I started playing Ganon sometime ago because he's real man. And winning with him is the best sensation ever, even if it's a ditto. o/

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
He's just plain fun, and that's all that needs to be said, but I can go on.

He's at the bottom of the tier list, he's the most evil character in the game, he's the only one who uses Purple, his Down Air has real hitstun, he has a very good grabbing special that can be used to reliably suicide, if you can hit, you will hit HARD, his shortcomings are incredible to overcome, making it a very satisfactory experience to win, he has the most awesome meteor in the game, and best of all, he's Ganondorf, and even the game is scared of you when you pick him because the announcer says "Ganondorf" unlike he says any other character's name. Every reason in the world motivates me to play Ganondorf. I also get a lot of street cred, so to speak.

You should keep stomping characters or u-air juggling them. It's so satisfying and awesome. Also since your using a low-tier character, you should take advantage of that by telling yourself that you are using a very difficult character to master not like the other people who use easy-to-use high tiers. Than can motivate you I think. (Play eye of the tiger lol)

LordofDarkness

Smash Cadet
I've played Link as my main since N64, and I had all but completely ignored Ganon in Melee (foolish). I started playing Ganon in Brawl as a joke with my friends. But, instead of getting spanked I would occasionally pull off a sweet Dair here or a crushing fsmash there.

So, 8 months ago I made an account here and I've come a long, long way with my Ganon game since then. I've been to local tournaments where I was literally laughed at for bringing Ganon, but I would subsequently romp with him and I wouldn't hear a word about my Ganon that wasn't praise for the rest of the day.

But what keeps me coming back to him is the bloody ****. He's the quintessential "Comeback King" in my eyes due to his ability to kill in 5 hits. Too many times have I fawked up my first two stocks for any number of silly reasons, only to take all 3 of my opponent's stocks with my final one.

I almost get a sort of blood lust when I'm at the controls with Ganon. I love trouncing my opponent's first stock to have them respawn demoralized, which only fuels my bloodlust further because Ganon smells your fear. The explosive combos, the early kills, and, of course, the Ganoncides provide an experience that no other character can offer.

Superspright

Smash Lord
In my mind whenever I win with Ganon my opponent was completely dominated by my better play.

noradseven

Smash Lord
God so many of these posts are p. much I love playing as him because he sucks rather than I love playing as him because he makes peoples faces explode.

Bahamut777

Smash Ace
I think we all like playing him because of the **** we can do and the comebacks we can acheive! =D
I'm not giving him up, no matter how much I lose or people make fun of me! >=(

Thanks everyone for the replies!

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
I almost get a sort of blood lust when I'm at the controls with Ganon. I love trouncing my opponent's first stock to have them respawn demoralized, which only fuels my bloodlust further because Ganon smells your fear. The explosive combos, the early kills, and, of course, the Ganoncides provide an experience that no other character can offer.
This is one of the best quote that I have ever seen.

Quite Agreed.

noradseven

Smash Lord
I think we all like playing him because of the **** we can do and the comebacks we can acheive! =D
I'm not giving him up, no matter how much I lose or people make fun of me! >=(

Thanks everyone for the replies!
if they are making fun of him they probably arn't playing seriously and thus playing repetitively which is easy to punish unless they play shielk/IC cough cough, its easy to make people play against ganon seriously the problem is winning once they do so :(.

Technologikall

Smash Apprentice
Ganon has a lot of bad things going for him. But he kills fast. Actually killing is the only thing that he's good in.

Would you dare to betray someone who can do nothing but killing?

Conspiricy

Smash Journeyman
Roses are red, Violets are blue, I'm online, Brawl
I love like to simply say: SALMON SMASH. >=D

...but I can't do that, so I love killing anything at...30%, or using an usmash which you can do more than once per sec.

and predicting back-rolls with gerudo into a stomp....It's like ejaculating watching a meta get stomped out of shuttle loop.

Top Bottom