• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Melee Tech Transfered?

WoW Tarv

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 3431 0382 0347
Hi,

I keep asking in random twitch streams if “x technique from melee still exists in Ultimate.” So for my own benefit and organization I’ll try to keep them all in this post. Think of this as a mini database in progress. So if I’m wrong please please correct me and if I’m missing anything let me know. Maybe others would also find this useful?

• Wavedashing: No
  • Wave landing: Yes
  • Crouch Canceling: Yes
  • L-Canceling: No but with universal 3 frame jump squat it probably doesn’t matter
  • Fast-falling: Yes
  • Dash dancing: Yes
  • Dash cancel: Yes
  • Pivoting: ?
  • DI: Yes but is different in ways I don’t yet completely understand
  • Fox Trotting: ?
  • Jump Canceled Grab: ?
  • Jab Reset: ?
  • Moonwalk: ?
  • Powershielding: Replaced by new parry mechanic?
  • Shield dropping: No
  • SHFFL: Yes but with out the L-cancel part
  • Smash DI: Yes but is different in ways I don’t yet completely understand
  • Chain grabbing: No??
*Note: I’ve purposefully left out character specific techniques like Wobbling

Emuchu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Emuchu
3DS FC
2320-6462-6471
I'm just gonna take your quote and respond to the bullet points:

Hi,

I keep asking in random twitch streams if “x technique from melee still exists in Ultimate.” So for my own benefit and organization I’ll try to keep them all in this post. Think of this as a mini database in progress. So if I’m wrong please please correct me and if I’m missing anything let me know. Maybe others would also find this useful?

*Note: I’ve purposefully left out character specific techniques like Wobbling
  • Wavedashing: No
  • Wave landing: Yes
  • Crouch Canceling: Yes
  • L-Canceling: No but with universal 3 frame jump squat it probably doesn’t matter
    • Agreed that it probably doesn't matter, but that's more due to the universal end lag reduction than the jump-squat change.
  • Fast-falling: Yes
  • Dash dancing: Yes
  • Dash cancel: Yes
  • Pivoting: ?
    • Still here... although less useful since you can cancel runs, now.
  • DI: Yes but is different in ways I don’t yet completely understand
    • It's more-or-less identical to Smash 4's version of DI / Vectoring. You hold toward the stage when launched horizontally, and away from the stage when launched vertically. Lemme link you to the Beefy Smash Doods vid: Smash Ultimate - How to Survive Longer (DI & LSI)
  • Fox Trotting: ?
    • Yes. It's actually kind of a cross between fox trotting and extended dash dancing, but the instant run cancel basically means you can do whatever the heck you want.
  • Jump Canceled Grab: ?
    • No. You no longer jump cancel grabs, item throws, or Usmash, you can just perform them out of a run. This is SUPER noticeable with Captain Falcon, he doesn't go anywhere with his dash grab, now. The new tech appears to be attack-cancelling, sort of like in Brawl, however it cancels momentum instead of retaining it. I've seen some cool stuff with dash attack cancelling, I'mma link you to My Smash Corner: Attack Cancel (Smash Ultimate)
  • Jab Reset: ?
  • Moonwalk: ?
    • AFAIK no.
  • Powershielding: Replaced by new parry mechanic?
    • Correct, power-shielding no longer occurs during the initial shield frames. Instead, when you release shield, the first 5 frames of the 11-frame shield drop animation are the parry frames.
  • Shield dropping: No
  • SHFFL: Yes but with out the L-cancel part
  • Smash DI: Yes but is different in ways I don’t yet completely understand
    • Basically, it's WAY weaker. 3x weaker, based on this article I'm reading on SSBWiki. Outside of Smash 4 Bayo, it's not really something people care much about, anymore.
  • Chain grabbing: No??
    • Essentially gone. Upon a throw or grab release, your opponent will flash yellow for a second, signifying throw invulnerability. You can still perform multiple throws in a combo, if your character has ways of doing that, e.g. Pika Dthrow > Uair > Nair > Dthrow.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Wait, I thought wavedashing is technically in, it's just nowhere near as useful due to the landing lag of directional air dodges.

Emuchu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Emuchu
3DS FC
2320-6462-6471
Wait, I thought wavedashing is technically in, it's just nowhere near as useful due to the landing lag of directional air dodges.
You're correct, but since people think of the non-laggy version allowing you to zip around the field effortlessly, I'd argue that it's dead "in spirit," and we should just refer to wave landing, which is the part that you can still do. It's not really a problem, though, since the run-stop mechanic makes dash-dancing so versatile.

Top Bottom