• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What mechanics would you like to see in Smash 5?

spinalwolf

Smash Apprentice
Me personally I really want them to add more hit stun more than anything. One of the funnest things in smash are the combos. I hope they also keep ledge trumping, it just makes things more interesting. Ledge hogging is cheap.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
1.) Higher Hit-stun/ gravity - This allows for aggressive options but can only really happen if
2.) Decreased Shield regen/more lag on rolls etc. - Defensive play is still too strong imo which can made Smash 4 feel sluggish at times.
3.) Dash-Dancing

spinalwolf

Smash Apprentice
1.) Higher Hit-stun/ gravity - This allows for aggressive options but can only really happen if
2.) Decreased Shield regen/more lag on rolls etc. - Defensive play is still too strong imo which can made Smash 4 feel sluggish at times.
3.) Dash-Dancing
I'm fine with or without dash dancing personally. I can see it as being both a good or bad thing. On one hand its great for baiting and mind games. On the other hand it makes the meta rely too heavily on mind games rather than having to space aerials in neutral. It's also not very spectator friendly but maybe that's just me. Would rather not see a Marth constantly run back and forth for 10 seconds just to bait out an option in neutral.

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
If they keep rage they should make attacks deal 13% extra damage (example 12% to 13.8%) at 50% rage but make attacks deal 5% less knockback at 50% rage. Rage will start at 50% damage taken and stop increasing at 125% damage taken. This way, it still favors the opponent with a lead but gives the other player room to catch up if they are good and stops Mario, Zss and Meta Knights 0 to death combos off the upper blast line when Mario/Zss/Mk are at 60% damage.

Last edited:

spinalwolf

Smash Apprentice
If they keep rage they should make attacks deal 13% extra damage (example 12% to 13.8%) at 50% rage but make attacks deal 5% less knockback at 50% rage. Rage will start at 50% damage taken and stop increasing at 125% damage taken. This way, it still favors the opponent with a lead but gives the other player room to catch up if they are good and stops Mario, Zss and Meta Knights 0 to death combos off the upper blast line when Mario/Zss/Mk are at 60% damage.
I would honestly prefer if rage was removed entirely but this is definitely a good compromise if they choose to keep it. If Sakurai does keep rage, I would rather it be reworked as a whole.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
I want them to add anything that makes the game more offensive and less defensive/mindgames

Synnett

Alligator Lord
I want them to add anything that makes the game more offensive and less defensive/mindgames
Pretty much this.

Also more neutral and less setups. Sm4sh had those janky hitbox mechanics that made the game really setup heavy. It felt like every move had a scripted purpose and I hated it. Give me raw hitboxes to play with, developing a character is fun, and it makes the characters more versatile. (Else you end up with Diddy Kong oof)

While I don't care if wavedashes are added, make airdodges a one time thing. Players in sm4sh hardly got punished for jumping out of hitstun - they put themselves in a bad situation but they didn't get punished because they can just airdodge 9999 times. You have to punish players for making bad options or everyone's progress stalls.

I'd like more gravity too, makes the characters much easier to control. I remember playing Pikachu and flying away in sm4sh; a more grounded game is fun.

As for the the ledge mechanics, oof. Ledge trumping is a bad mechanic tbh. In sm4sh it's a given, you'll clip to the ledge, and if the other guy was holding the ledge well welp he gets thrown off. That was really lame and made the ledge game really long and tedious. Let me finish that stock! I'd go for Melee's ledge mechanics with modifications:

- You get invulnerability when you grab the ledge, let's say 20 frames, but as soon as you release the ledge no more invincibility.
- When you are holding the ledge the opponent can't grab it, making it easier to secure that stock.
- If you roll, getup or ledge attack the opponent can grab the ledge. Gonna make good use of that 20 frames invincibility. You can get punished for holding the ledge pretty much.

Melee was a surprise, never intended to be this good, so I don't really want another Melee. Something like a Brawl with no flaws would be amazing for me.

---------------
There's kind of a Schism between Melee and Sm4sh players right now. Both communities want a good game, but it doesn't mean the same thing to both. I've been reading the Bowser thread and some sm4sh players are giving ideas to improve Bowser's whirling fortress - going back to my first point - heavily scripted hitboxes to give it a specific purpose. STAHP!!1

Thatboyjojo

Smash Rookie
Little to no landing lag , 64 hit stun , canceling moves into other moves, ledge hogging , dash dancing , wave dashing ,

Agecaf

Smash Rookie
I'd love to see more armor moves and windboxes, as well as *maybe* making "acting out of up B" much more prevalent. It's present in a bunch of "new" character's movesets (Sonic, Megaman, Bayonetta, Rob, Olimar?), but I think it could be worked into most of the cast's moveset. It would of course change a lot of how combos and edgeguarding works... but who knows? It'd be buffing everyone else instead of nerfing bayo..

ChibiRoboMan

Smash Rookie
More hitstun, better single player/co-op mode (leaning toward subspace territory in terms of story) compared to S4, add a mechanism to award players for quick button presses to cancel lag, etc.

Top Bottom