• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Mario can deflect

funtend0zii

Smash Cadet
I've noticed that Mario's forward B can be used to deflect Villager's forward smash (the bowling ball). I believe it also reflected the damage, because it would have knocked me out but instead knocked out villager and he only had about 50%

Anything else he can deflect? because i am seriously considering maining Mario.

Tremendo Dude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XGShadowstar
3DS FC
3093-8423-4303
Mario's cape can reflect literally any projectile (like Villager's bowling ball and falling tree, and Megaman's charge shot) that isn't an explosive. Explosives tend to explode when hit by the cape, but the damage is reflected. I also believe, if Mario's cape functions like other character's reflectors, that reflected attacks are almost doubled in power and knockback.

His cape is also capable of reflecting players without stunning them, allowing you to kill characters like Luigi, Fox, Pikachu, Villager, or Charizard who are trying to get back on the stage with their Side B attacks simply by intercepting their Side B with your Cape, turning them around and causing them to launch the other way.

Last edited:

funtend0zii

Smash Cadet
That's amazing! This guy seems really powerful (I wonder why I don't see people using him)

Last edited:

Prism

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jesset202
3DS FC
0576-5008-6643
There are quite a lot of solid Mario players in every game. Just because the top players don't play a character doesn't mean it isn't a good character.

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
Pretty sure mario can reflect anything villager can pocket.
I'm curious about the tree...

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Mario's cap can not just deflect porojectiles, but can also makes you more stable at the air.
I just don't know why they add a "Whoop" sound effect when Mario turned over someone with his cape.

BSP

Smash Legend
Mario's cape can reflect literally any projectile (like Villager's bowling ball and falling tree, and Megaman's charge shot) that isn't an explosive. Explosives tend to explode when hit by the cape, but the damage is reflected. I also believe, if Mario's cape functions like other character's reflectors, that reflected attacks are almost doubled in power and knockback.

His cape is also capable of reflecting players without stunning them, allowing you to kill characters like Luigi, Fox, Pikachu, Villager, or Charizard who are trying to get back on the stage with their Side B attacks simply by intercepting their Side B with your Cape, turning them around and causing them to launch the other way.
If an explosive if coming at you, cape in the opposite direction. The cape's hitbox wont make them explode then, but the reflecting box of cape still covers Mario's back.

You'll still get blown up if you're right next to them though, I think.

The multiplier for cape is x1.5, according to Arrodrome's reflector thread.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Mario's cap can not just deflect porojectiles, but can also makes you more stable at the air.
I just don't know why they add a "Whoop" sound effect when Mario turned over someone with his cape.
Because it makes that sound in Super Mario World.

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
Might be to make it more obvious that you've been turned around on the smaller screen.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Reflecting the hard knuckle sends it back up.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
That's amazing! This guy seems really powerful (I wonder why I don't see people using him)
For a few reasons.

1. there's new characters.
2. Some of those new characters are clearly very powerful
3. Mario's honestly...not very good. Disregarding mechanics changes, Mario was nerfed more than he was buffed (does less damage per hit, cannot Jab cancel combo anymore, can't Cape Stall like in Brawl).

He would be okay if his low% combo game actually was reliable, but it isn't. It can be interrupted and jumped out of.

I am curious though to see what options he has against Duck Hunt. I don't yet have a clear idea how reliable Cape is in that matchup, but either way, things that are able to limit Duck Hunt's zoning are pretty important.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
If I'm not mistaken, I think he can send Mega Man's Hard Knuckle upwards with the cape. It was weird. I think it did less damage than it normally does.

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
Been looking for a thread like this.
Made an account just to post this wonderful discovery.

Also this begs the question, if Villager is dropping the bowling ball off the stage at you is it capable?

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
Note that Mario cannot reflect Charizard's Flare Blitz.
Untrue, I've slain many Charizards playing matador.
The timing is really important though and I haven't gotten it down consistently yet.
Unfortunately it's not as spammed as much as it once was.

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
Mario's cape can reflect literally any projectile (like Villager's bowling ball. . .
. . .if Villager is dropping the bowling ball off the stage at you is it capable?
I wanted to know what it was like, so I fought against a Lvl. 9 without custom moves/equipment on FD.
It did 27% when I was at 145%.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I just caped Villager's bowling ball. It was insanely satisfying.

3. Mario's honestly...not very good. Disregarding mechanics changes, Mario was nerfed more than he was buffed (does less damage per hit, cannot Jab cancel combo anymore, can't Cape Stall like in Brawl).

He would be okay if his low% combo game actually was reliable, but it isn't. It can be interrupted and jumped out of.

I am curious though to see what options he has against Duck Hunt. I don't yet have a clear idea how reliable Cape is in that matchup, but either way, things that are able to limit Duck Hunt's zoning are pretty important.
While the jab cancels from Brawl are sorely missed, I find myself wondering if Mario is as bad as you say he is. From my experience, Mario gained a more solid ground game in comparison to Brawl, Up-B (SJP or EP) is a much better offensive tool, and his grabs are overall better except for F-throw, which doesn't seem to follow-up into anything.

Mario still doesn't have a reliable kill option, the closest being D-throw > EP, but this doesn't work on all characters and you have to get the grab off first. But overall my impression is Mario is better than what he was in Brawl.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I just caped Villager's bowling ball. It was insanely satisfying.

While the jab cancels from Brawl are sorely missed, I find myself wondering if Mario is as bad as you say he is. From my experience, Mario gained a more solid ground game in comparison to Brawl, Up-B (SJP or EP) is a much better offensive tool, and his grabs are overall better except for F-throw, which doesn't seem to follow-up into anything.

Mario still doesn't have a reliable kill option, the closest being D-throw > EP, but this doesn't work on all characters and you have to get the grab off first. But overall my impression is Mario is better than what he was in Brawl.
Factoring customs, he's better off.

The problem I see, you're effectively forced to take Gust Cape and Explosive Jump Punch in most matchups because of Mario's very noticeable weaknesses. Gust Cape is a straight buff to Mario, so that isn't a huge problem. But in order to make up for Mario's really awful damage, you often need to sacrifice recovery distance to get combo damage from Explosive Jump Punch.

I just don't see the risk/reward working out for Mario a lot of the time. He still isn't good in midrange. He's still easily juggled and edgeguarded. And both his combo game and KO options aren't reliable for the most part.

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Factoring customs, he's better off.

The problem I see, you're effectively forced to take Gust Cape and Explosive Jump Punch in most matchups because of Mario's very noticeable weaknesses. Gust Cape is a straight buff to Mario, so that isn't a huge problem. But in order to make up for Mario's really awful damage, you often need to sacrifice recovery distance to get combo damage from Explosive Jump Punch.

I just don't see the risk/reward working out for Mario a lot of the time. He still isn't good in midrange. He's still easily juggled and edgeguarded. And both his combo game and KO options aren't reliable for the most part.
With the exception of the low damage output, Mario's weaknesses are pretty typical. Obviously, he isn't a high tier, and mid tier is very debatable. But until the metagame fleshes out more, being a low tier doesn't mean much since the gap between characters are not so horrid as it was in Brawl.

I agree EP is an awkward move. It's super strong and I'm willing to say it's Mario's best kill option, but you can only kill with it as an OOS option (which is not a bad option in Mario's case), making SJP more reliable at higher percents, but EP is still better for racking percents at lower percents. I'm not sure if EP is the end-all-be-all just yet.

That said, it's still debatable if Custom Moves will be allowed on the Wii U version, since we have to start over from scratch. If unlocking them is just as random and dumb as it is in the 3DS, we may have to stay with defaults for the sake of ease.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Oddly the cape doesn't reflect Gordos. Not really a big deal since you can just hit them anyway, but it's a weird little quirk.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
When people are preparing projectiles in a multiple player match, I love turning them around so that the projectile hits someone else.

I also remember turning around Captain Falcon mid-sideB and making him fly off the stage and get KO'd.

Suspek

Smash Rookie
Can mario deflect ness/lucas while they're launching from their up special? Because i seem to get hit by it every time i try to deflect them. Or maybe my timing is off.

DPKdebator

Smash Apprentice
I believe Mario's cape has transcendent priority, which means that it can reflect/change ownership of basically anything that comes into contact with it.

DT_X4

Smash Rookie
NNID
DT_PowerButton
3DS FC
0130-2636-7538
There's a limit to how many times the cape or any other reflector can be used in succession before it fails.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
To be precise, it's not really a hard limit on how many times in a row it can be used as a reflector, rather i believe if a move is over 50% then it will break our reflector. Ness's is the strongest i believe being able to reflect until 80%

Top Bottom