• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Make Someone a "Video Game Character"

Quillion

Smash Hero
The Witcher games have developed a cultural identity that has evolved beyond the book it was based off of, just like how many films develop a cultural identity beyond their source material, for better (Ready Player One, the second Hunger Games book & film) or worse (2001: A Space Odyssey, the first Hunger Games book & film), making him a video game character.

Unlike the Force Unleashed, which despite whatever good qualities it may have, is ultimately a niche game that didn't really "evolve" past its origin franchise in the cultural psyche like The Witcher games did, ultimately making Starkiller a "movie character that has never been in a movie."
But how would you define "evolve", though? Is Batman still exclusively a comic book character despite having an illustrious history of both movies and video games? The Dark Knight Trilogy and Arkham series were just about concurrent and established Batman's image as having transcended comics in many peoples' view.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
Yeah I'm having no luck finding the interview, but I remember them saying they were planing on making more ralph based games as part of him being a video game character & that it was going to be like he was a game character IRL the whole time kinda like how the fix it felex game was advertised as if it came out in the 80s. but i can't find it anywere ??? if anyone can find it let me know, altho its safe to say they never whent through with it giving activition the rights to make the next game

Khao

Smash Lord
What was the character created for? What was the intention? What was it designed to be?

The word "originated" can be misleading. I understand that you might think Wreck-it-Ralph "originated" from a video game, as technically he was in a video game before he was actually in his movie. But that wouldn't exactly be correct.

The game was released before the movie, sure.

But the game doesn't exist in a vacuum. Ralph was conceived and originally designed to be the main character in a movie. The game was an extra, and Ralph's identity as a character wouldn't have changed without it. The game was made because of the movie.

The opposite is also true. With Lucario, sure he was in a movie before he was in a game. But what was Lucario originally intended to be? What was he created for? What is the reason Lucario exists in the first place? It's all because of the Pokémon video game series, he was created for it, and that makes him a videogame character.

Quillion

Smash Hero
What was the character created for? What was the intention? What was it designed to be?

The word "originated" can be misleading. I understand that you might think Wreck-it-Ralph "originated" from a video game, as technically he was in a video game before he was actually in his movie. But that wouldn't exactly be correct.

The game was released before the movie, sure.

But the game doesn't exist in a vacuum. Ralph was conceived and originally designed to be the main character in a movie. The game was an extra, and Ralph's identity as a character wouldn't have changed without it. The game was made because of the movie.

The opposite is also true. With Lucario, sure he was in a movie before he was in a game. But what was Lucario originally intended to be? What was he created for? What is the reason Lucario exists in the first place? It's all because of the Pokémon video game series, he was created for it, and that makes him a videogame character.
Would people be aware of Geralt of Rivia if it weren't for his games?

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
But how would you define "evolve", though? Is Batman still exclusively a comic book character despite having an illustrious history of both movies and video games? The Dark Knight Trilogy and Arkham series were just about concurrent and established Batman's image as having transcended comics in many peoples' view.
Skip to 0:27

I'm not exactly a pop culture scientist or a sociologist. this is all just me throwing possible excuses at a wall for why Starkiller is a meme request and Sora isn't...

aside from the obvious "The Force Unleashed is a semi-niche PS360 game series with 2 installments and literally nothing to do with Nintendo's history, has no recent installments and whose artstyle is at odds with Super Smash Bros, whereas Kingdom Hearts is a much more popular and long-running franchise at least had a couple mobile games on the GBA/DS/3DS, KH3 coming out a month after Ultimate, and looks like one otacon's japanese animes just like Xenoblade, Metal Gear and Fire Emblem," but that's none of my business.

But to answer your question, no, Batman is absolutely not "exclusively a comic book character," but characters like Power Girl or Adam Warlock still are because the most prominent cultural memory of those characters are from comic books (unless one of those two has been in a cartoon at some point).

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
To bump up this thread, what about fancharacters/characters created for unofficial media, can they be considered videogame characters? I would say, if they were intended for a videogame, then yes.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
Here's an interesting one for you.

Strider.

PXZ2-Strider.png

Strider is a pretty popular Capcom character and has appeared in most of their VS games.

He's also not originally from a videogame. He's from a manga.

The manga was created as part of a multimedia deal between Capcom and the manga developers with the Manga being published first, then the Arcade game, then the NES game.

Is He considered a videogame character?

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Here's an interesting one for you.

Strider.

View attachment 285763

Strider is a pretty popular Capcom character and has appeared in most of their VS games.

He's also not originally from a videogame. He's from a manga.

The manga was created as part of a multimedia deal between Capcom and the manga developers with the Manga being published first, then the Arcade game, then the NES game.

Is He considered a videogame character?
As stated previously about what has occurred with Geralt (Witcher), Strider is in a rare occasion where he is now primarily recognized as a videogame character. So thus, Strider and Geralt have become videogame characters, unlike Goku and the Lego Minifigures who are still primarily known as Manga/Anime and toy characters respectively.

To summarize about what makes a character a videogame character, if a character is from a franchise that originates as a videogame, they are still a videogame character, regardless if they were created for a videogame or not. But if a character is from a franchise that didn't originate as a videogame, they remain a non-videogame character regardless of intentions.

Unlike the Force Unleashed, which despite whatever good qualities it may have, is ultimately a niche game that didn't really "evolve" past its origin franchise in the cultural psyche like The Witcher games did, ultimately making Starkiller a "movie character that has never been in a movie."
So it's still possible for a character to be a videogame character that has never appeared in any videogames due to their origin franchise. Examples include, Ash Ketchum, Sally (Sonic), and Quake Woman (Mega Man).

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
As for me, I consider it based on the character themselves, rather than their franchise. I consider characters from licensed games as eligible for Smash as long as they were created exclusively for the game and did not appear in any prior works in that franchise. An example is Clementine. The Walking Dead debuted as a comic book, but Clementine is eligible for Smash in my opinion because she was created specifically for Telltale's The Walking Dead, and she does not appear in any of the original comic books or the television series whose premiere predates the Telltale game by two years. Exceptions are if the character's outside video game debut was done specifically to promote a video game, such as with Lucario. As for Geralt of Rivia, I do not consider him eligible for Smash, as he debuted as a novel character, even if the video games are more popular.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
As for me, I consider it based on the character themselves, rather than their franchise. I consider characters from licensed games as eligible for Smash as long as they were created exclusively for the game and did not appear in any prior works in that franchise. An example is Clementine. The Walking Dead debuted as a comic book, but Clementine is eligible for Smash in my opinion because she was created specifically for Telltale's The Walking Dead, and she does not appear in any of the original comic books or the television series whose premiere predates the Telltale game by two years. Exceptions are if the character's outside video game debut was done specifically to promote a video game, such as with Lucario. As for Geralt of Rivia, I do not consider him eligible for Smash, as he debuted as a novel character, even if the video games are more popular.
I think this only applies to fancharacters/unofficial characters, for example the famous Mario fancharacters, Jeffy (Supermariologan) and Supermarioglitchy4 aren't videogame characters, but Ash Ketchum is a videogame character because Ash is an official character.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think this only applies to fancharacters/unofficial characters, for example the famous Mario fancharacters, Jeffy (Supermariologan) and Supermarioglitchy4 aren't videogame characters, but Ash Ketchum is a videogame character because Ash is an official character.
But still, I only consider characters from a video game franchise that debuted elsewhere video game characters if they

1. Their appearance is specifically done to promote the games.
2. They appear in the games later on.

Ash fails at #2, so to me he is an anime character.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
But still, I only consider characters from a video game franchise that debuted elsewhere video game characters if they

1. Their appearance is specifically done to promote the games.
2. They appear in the games later on.

Ash fails at #2, so to me he is an anime character.
I think I need to summarize how a character can become a videogame character. However, I think it differs for unofficial characters and official characters.

Official characters can become videogame characters under the following circumstances:
  1. The character originates from a franchise that was originally intended to originate as a videogame. Even if they weren't originally created for a videogame, they are still videogame characters. They can also be videogame characters who have never appeared in videogames before. (Examples: Ash Ketchum, Sally (Sonic), Cylindria (Pac Man))
  2. The character originates from a franchise that becomes primarily recognized as a videogame franchise (Examples: Geralt (Witcher), Strider (Strider Hiryu))
Unofficial/fanmade characters can become videogame characters under the following circumstances:
  1. The character originates from a videogame, or they were originally intended to debut in a videogame. As long as the game they were created for isn't based on a non-videogame franchise. (Examples: Psycho Iris (Psycho Waluigi), Rokko Chan, various Sonic fancharacters)
  2. The character becomes primarily recognized as a videogame character.
So thus, Rokko Chan is a videogame character because she was originally created for a videogame. While in contrast, Meggy (Supermarioglitchy4) isn't a videogame character because she wasn't intended to originate from a videogame. And Meggy, unlike Ash Ketchum, is a fancharacter/unofficial character.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think I need to summarize how a character can become a videogame character. However, I think it differs for unofficial characters and official characters.

Official characters can become videogame characters under the following circumstances:
  1. The character originates from a franchise that was originally intended to originate as a videogame. Even if they weren't originally created for a videogame, they are still videogame characters. They can also be videogame characters who have never appeared in videogames before. (Examples: Ash Ketchum, Sally (Sonic), Cylindria (Pac Man))
  2. The character originates from a franchise that becomes primarily recognized as a videogame franchise (Examples: Geralt (Witcher), Strider (Strider Hiryu))
Unofficial/fanmade characters can become videogame characters under the following circumstances:
  1. The character originates from a videogame, or they were originally intended to debut in a videogame. As long as the game they were created for isn't based on a non-videogame franchise. (Examples: Psycho Iris (Psycho Waluigi), Rokko Chan, various Sonic fancharacters)
  2. The character becomes primarily recognized as a videogame character.
So thus, Rokko Chan is a videogame character because she was originally created for a videogame. While in contrast, Meggy (Supermarioglitchy4) isn't a videogame character because she wasn't intended to originate from a videogame. And Meggy, unlike Ash Ketchum, is a fancharacter/unofficial character.
I don't believe that. We all have our own opinions.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
Interesting disscustion guys

for ash isn't he just a diffrent interpitation of red ? AKA pokemon trainer just like gary is a diffrent interpitation of blue ? so in a way ash/red are already in smash in a way. Ash also apeaed in games like pokemon puzzle leage & has apeared in sun & moon in more ways then one, he is the one who gives you ash greninja from the event ( a greninja evolution linked directly to him who is also already in smash now as a final smash) the pictures in totem mimicue's room & a bunch of ash hat pikachus in the games. So ash is already conected to both the pokemon mainline games as well as smash bros already.

as for the walking deads clemeintine shure she is a video game character & lets say for arguments sake she is would sakurai not care about that & consider her franchise not a gaming franchise first & formost ? sonce it existed some time way B4 the games ? were as say ralph from reck it ralph was a actual games 1st then a movie with the intent of ralph being a video game character as part of his character even for the movie its self & has met & houng out with characters who are already playable in smash LOL

always such an intresting idea of what makes a character a "video game character"

Just look at the song megalonvania was used in a unoffical earthbound romhack then in a web comic then in undertail & is now a song that come with the sans mii costume in smash as paid DLC if you buy it ! is it a "video game song" since it originated in a rom hack & was used in a web commic B4 it was a song in a game ? IDK? ether way it made its way into smash anyway :p

Top Bottom