• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What made you want to play Villager?

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
I'll be honest. When I first got the game, I played a lot of characters, sticking mostly to Sheik. The reason I starting playing as Villager was because I wanted to go online and be the worst kind of person by stalling the match using my up-B to fly under the stage. (I know this doesn't actually work since I don't have ledge invincibility, but I still timed out waaayyyyy more matches than I should have.) While I was trolling, I realized that Villager has a lot of really amazing tools that force reactions from opponents, or generally just keep them away. Loid Rocket being the biggest deal, followed by fair and bair. There's also those cheesy bowling ball kills and pocketed charge shots that instantly break shields. The fact that the Loid has a hurtbox, allowing it to clank/eat almost any projectile in the game is pretty sweet too.

Anyways, why did you guys pick up villager?

D

Deleted member

What made me play :4villager:?
Hmm...

I'm a fan of the Animal Crossing series for years, close to 10 years I would say. The day Villager was announced to the public along with Smash 3DS got me hyped as f. He looked fresh, new. The art style given to him was truly same as in the games.
Months passed, and the 3DS demos got launched, I downloaded in the day of my birthday (coincidence of release dates, lol.), my friends were at my house playing the Demo, non-stop. I would use :4villager:, a lot, in most of the matches actually. Then he just stuck closely to me, I got better at the game at it's release date, and I would keep on using him. He's just a fun character, and he trolls, a lot. I like those kind of characters in Fighting games, the troll characters, spamming Lloids and Aerials.

Also...
BOWLING BALLS DOWN THE LEDGES

GETTING THE MOST POWERFUL PROJECTILES

PUSHING OPPONENTS WITH THE WATERING CAN

-no image sorry-
TREE'S MASSIVE LINGERING HURTBOX

-nor here-
SPAM
SPAM
SPAM

Last edited by a moderator:

Suzukipot

Actual Mother trash
NNID
em12498
3DS FC
0404-9964-5652
I haven't played Villager yet, but I can tell you why I want to: I like those small cute characters who can absolutely wreck you given the right circumstances. That, along with the meme of Villager being a heartless ax-wielding murderer and the...unconventional move set...really makes me eager to play Villager.

Now I just need a 3DS/Wii U...seems I know what to put on my Christmas wishlist.

BlazikenGod

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheBlazikenGod
3DS FC
4270-2333-8179
When i got the 3DS Demo, i tried out Villager and instantly fell in love. He has such great tools to troll and shut down opponents, and i kept playing him up until the release date, and he's been my main and best character ever since.

Styx-

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0275-7989-4934
I've never played any of the Animal Crossing games (but I plan to), so I didn't really know what game Villager was from. As soon as I got the demo, I tried out all the characters from. The thing that I loved the most about Villager was his recovery; he wasn't going down unless he got KO'd! His pocket was really fun too.

Moosseff

Smash Apprentice
During the demo, I REALLY struggled with aerials. Like a lot. Smash 4 was my first fighting game ever. I would get confused by the concept of aerials. I know it sounds stupid but trust me it sucked. Anyway villagers got a lot of similarities in his aerials in terms of visuals which helped me a LOT. But now that im at the level im at, I dont really have problems with aerials. On 3ds I can perfect pivot into aerials (still learning how to PP into tilts) that and villager fit my playstyle EXACTLY. I used to think really defensive play was really gimmicky and something about villagers moveset is very gimmicky lol

Last edited:

Nintendoge_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bwooper
3DS FC
1306-6166-5014
What me want to play Villager? Villager made me want to play Smash! I'm basically only playing Sm4sh right now because Villager's inclusion inspired me to try the series out.

Sonallvegqu

Smash Cadet
I played Villager and he/she just clicked with me instantly. Since then, I've been winning a few tournaments and some prize money. :)

NessNger

Smash Rookie
NNID
Furais
What made me want to main Villager...?

...well, everything about him of course!

How could you possibly resist:
- His sick dance moves (Shrunk Shuffle all day yo!)
- His never-ending optimism (He ALWAYS has a smile on his face :))

And most importantly...

- His soul-sucking gaze and intent to destroy everyone in his path (He would get along well with Chara...)
- His wonderful determination! (A little kid fighting giant turtles, robots shooting lemons, and attractive women? How inspiring!)

What's not to love about the little
killer kid? ;)

Nah but seriously, Villager was love at first sight. His trailer was one of the first released and when I saw it I was shocked, to say the least. At first I had mixed feelings since I had no idea how they were going to come up with attacks for this little tree chopper hugger. Then as I saw his moveset, I knew I had to main him. His moveset was so original, so creative... it fit my playstyle perfectly. I love characters with unconventional, quirky tactics and Villager's gimmicks really hit the bowling ball nail on the head. :smash:

McDuckletts

Smash Ace
NNID
JaredandCompany
3DS FC
2105-8715-5535
During the April 2014 Smash Direct they showed that one of his taunts would be the Dr. Shrunk shuffle and after that I said to myself: I will main this character, no matter what.

Wonderf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wonderf
3DS FC
5172-2136-8763
After trying out a bunch of characters, when smash 4 first came out, I decided on Villager, there was something about him that fitted well with my playstyle. I love how you can quickly turn a game around with Villager. You also got to love the memes.

TehVilly

Smash Rookie
I was fan of animal crossing for 6 years, started from nds animal crossing.
I liked smash brawl. (Even tho I didnt really know how to play)
Then Villager sm4sh trailer.
I was like;
OH MY GOD IM MAINING VILLAGER LOOOOOOOOL
Annd Villy is lyfe

Nagisu

Smash Rookie
NNID
Genki_Neny
I'm lured by cute human characters... I have played as Ice Climbers almost all of the time in Melee, PM, and Brawl. Now that they are gone for Sm4sh (officially, but not technically?), Villager (Pink-Haired) has taken place, and I adore her~

As you may see from the City Folk Villager from my avi~

Mr.Sile

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dorvillo
This

and the 5 seconds of shenanigans after it made this character pocket my soul.

and also the fact that I became a fan of AC with New Leaf.

Don't forget Bowling Ball, slingshot and Dance Taunt shenanigans.

The memes didn't hurt.

Last edited:

Garunix

Smash Rookie
I was on Twitch watching people play sm4sh because I was bored and i saw someone plant a tree with Villager and I thought that was pretty cool (Plants vs. Zombies fan). I didn't even like smash. Just the idea of the tree in a fighting game got me into it.

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
The only reason I'm here competitively as a Smash player is because of villager! The moment he was revealed, I told myself I'd actually practice and get good for villager, because, well, I love Animal Crossing! I had 54 hours logged in the first week of smash demo, and currently 3000+ hours on the 3ds and going! My Wiiu (which by the way, I won in tournaments using only Villager!) is getting up to shape now with 400-500 hours logged in the past month and a half. Villager is the only reason I continue to devote so much time into this game, and regardless of what happens to her, I won't be dropping this character in any of the iterations she comes out in!

another1

Smash Rookie
NNID
unicyclemaster2
i play villager because i love animal crossing and also the playstyle of villager in general suits me best

mobilisq

Smash Ace
i voted for villager back when they had a poll option in japan for brawl characters, and wanted him ever since

got real excited when he was announced for smash 4,and was really happy when his play style clicked for me when the demo was released

he remains my secondary behind ness

ChuteTheMessenger

Village's Strongest Hitman
Villy has the best nair in the game.
Pocket is an amazing move with a broken multiplier.
His moveset is versatile and everything has a utility, and he's fun to play both in group smash and 1v1.
For me he's Snake with less boxing, more zoning, and all around utility.

jcx

Smash Journeyman
I picked up Villager because I wanted a campy, projectile-oriented character who could thrive in the midst of Bayonetta's dominance. Plus, he is so much more fun to play than my old main, Mario! Villager helped me enjoy the game that I almost considered dropping because of Bayonetta (I was scared that she would cause Smash 4 to repeat Brawl's balance issues and die off).

Neurosis

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sir_Waddlesworth
3DS FC
0216-1426-0423
To be perfectly honest, I started playing Villager partly (a) because I was playing a TON of Animal Crossing when I picked up Smash about 6 months ago, but mostly (b) because Smash absolutely terrified me in general (still does, for that matter) and Villy Willy's recovery made the whole thing a little less scary for me. The irony is that I eventually came to learn that Villager is actually one of the tougher characters in the game to learn as a beginner.

jcx

Smash Journeyman
To be perfectly honest, I started playing Villager partly (a) because I was playing a TON of Animal Crossing when I picked up Smash about 6 months ago, but mostly (b) because Smash absolutely terrified me in general (still does, for that matter) and Villy Willy's recovery made the whole thing a little less scary for me. The irony is that I eventually came to learn that Villager is actually one of the tougher characters in the game to learn as a beginner.
I went through Lucario, Mario, and Luigi before finally settling on Villager. But since I picked up Villager after the most recent patch came out, I could pick him up easily due to my prior game knowledge. All I need to do now is find out how to do that woodchip 0-death... :demon:

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
Animal Crossing! I was looking into Brawl already, but Villager got me super hyped for Smash Wii U.

Grayson the Emblemier

Smash Rookie
NNID
FluerdeLis
I'll be honest. When I first got the game, I played a lot of characters, sticking mostly to Sheik. The reason I starting playing as Villager was because I wanted to go online and be the worst kind of person by stalling the match using my up-B to fly under the stage. (I know this doesn't actually work since I don't have ledge invincibility, but I still timed out waaayyyyy more matches than I should have.) While I was trolling, I realized that Villager has a lot of really amazing tools that force reactions from opponents, or generally just keep them away. Loid Rocket being the biggest deal, followed by fair and bair. There's also those cheesy bowling ball kills and pocketed charge shots that instantly break shields. The fact that the Loid has a hurtbox, allowing it to clank/eat almost any projectile in the game is pretty sweet too.

Anyways, why did you guys pick up villager?
Ranai

Before I knew Ranai I used to hate playing Villager, like I almost preferred Olimar(which I have always struggled with) and then I saw Ranai at Genesis 3 own all those awesome players in the Genesis 3 SOCAL vs. JAPAN crew battle and then give Zero a run for his money and I just thought "Wow, this guy is really good!" and then I decided to pick up Villager. Thanks Ranai!

jcx

Smash Journeyman
Ranai

Before I knew Ranai I used to hate playing Villager, like I almost preferred Olimar(which I have always struggled with) and then I saw Ranai at Genesis 3 own all those awesome players in the Genesis 3 SOCAL vs. JAPAN crew battle and then give Zero a run for his money and I just thought "Wow, this guy is really good!" and then I decided to pick up Villager. Thanks Ranai!
Ranai did inspire me to play Villager a bit as well; I watched him play against FOW at Genesis. I still play Villager a lot and always counterpick him against Ness, even though I have switched my main to Cloud at this point.

Chief Hotsuin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blue-Rob
3DS FC
3411-3937-1436
You've got choices as Villy. You can sit near the edge and camp all day or use your quick projectiles as a way to force shield and get a lot of work done. Tree is dumb in a really good way. l think you can cover all ledge options with it? Don't quote me on that. Basically, l'll pick him whenever l can't get in on someone at ALL and wanna out-wall someone and basically beat them at their own game.

Speaking of own games, l've never played Animal Crossing, but l HAVE played Rune Factories 1-4, which is literally Animal Crossing: The Anime. You've got socializing, doing tasks for people, being the only source of production, being a farmer (which may as well be a major, l guess?), and sometimes, monotonous grinding. You'll get into it once in a while, eventually get bored and move on to something more intense, but you'll come back and have fun laughing at how Doug and Dylas yelling at each other, when they're actually best friends. They'll never tell you that, but you can tell.

ALSO SUPER COOL MAGIC AND WEAPONS AND MONSTER HUNTING AND SAVING THE WORLD FROM FORCES OF EVIL AND DRAGONS THAT WON'T LET YOU MARRY BECAUSE YOU'RE HALF MONSTER, EVEN WHEN YOUR FIANCE IS ALSO HALF MONSTER. BECAUSE PLOT!! SO YOU GOTTA KILL THE DRAGON ALTHOUGH HE COMES BACK TO LIFE OR SOMETHING, AND HE SAYS GG, GO HOME, AND GOOD LUCK, AND YOU EVENTUALLY HAVE KIDS THAT ADD LITERALLY NOTHING TO THE PLOT[SPOILER="RF3 spoilers in here somewhere.

But anyway, Villager sorta feels like that. You'll have your fun and go back to normal anime swordsmen things and such, but occasionally, a change of pace is fun. He's really the only projectile character l've ever played, along with ROB. And Villy can be so slippery and mobile, unlike Link, Samus, and other ranged zoners. Swords already sorta fulfill the walls l need, but Villager just fills something. Some niche that l need once and awhile.

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
this girl

if she wasn't a skin for villager i would have mained someone else

Thunda.

Smash Rookie
NNID
ThundaXx
3DS FC
2810-1060-0127
i play at the ledge and after trying out villager he had all the edge guarding and offstage options i needed to fit my play-style.

also im an evil person

Top Bottom