• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What made you pick up Dr. Mario?

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
This goes to the people who main Dr. Mario or at least decide to have him as one of your characters you play well with.

For me, well I wasn't a Doc main at first. Melee was my first game I've ever played and I didn't became so fond of Doc because I used to think he was just a worse mario. Of course that all changed once I saw competitive play of Doc and having a lot more knowledge on the competitive scene, Doc was the better choice. That hadn't totally convinced me to main him, but once Doc was announced for sm4sh and I noticed he still has his dair and tornado, I had to choose him because I hated fludd (While it is better in sm4sh, I still barely ever use it). Playing as doc in sm4sh felt a bit clunky especially his dair, but I played as him a lot more when they gave him less lag on dair.

Now these days, it feels more natural to me to play as Doc and if I switched to Mario, I noticed I can't play as well as I played with Doc. Something that really convinced me on that today was that I played mario and my Charizard amiibo wrecked me in about level 46 by 2 stocking me in a 3 stock match (He also had a lot of attack and defense along with trade-off) and then I ended up 2 stocking him as Dr. Mario when he reached level 50.

Last edited:

Dokokashira

Smash Journeyman
When I first bought the game, I "mained" Bowser. I wasn't good with him, of course... I was pretty much completely prey to his early status as a "noob character". I read about it online, and then decided that I wanted to change.

I've always been a giant hipster when it comes to gaming... I hated being "generic" and using the same things everyone else did. So I gravitated to low/bottom tier characters... Mii Swordfighter, Charizard, Samus, Dr. Mario, etc. and out of those, I liked Dr. Mario the most. I felt he was the most versatile characters out of the characters I wanted to use, with a projectile, a reflector, great KOing power, a nice multi-hit move, and a nice ability to transition between the ground and the air. (And he's pretty handsome, too...)

I chose him for a pretty dumb reason, but I think I turned out well. I've got an awesome 2v2 partner who respects my choice of character, and I get a sense of fulfillment inside knowing that I can do decent against people with a perceived "weak" character. No character johns, though!

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
At first I only picked him because of the Dr. Tornado, after a few games with him, I quickly got used to how he plays.
I also love the small extra details they put into him like his classic taunt, his original victory animations (counting the death stare), & his head roll idle animation from Melee. (Only missing his original B-air animation)
While I still believe he's in desperate need of a good buff, he will away's be my go-to main.

Dr. Mario is in the house!

Last edited:

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
I love how he combines the good aspects of Mario and Luigi, nerfing them slightly. I personally think he's a vastly underrated character, as he sacrifices some speed for a ton of power and versatility. Sadly he isn't as good as the other Mario bros, but he can certainly contend.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I mained him in Melee and was excited to see him return. While I admit that he was a bit better in Melee I still love playing as him and learning new things. I prefer him over the regular Mario because of his stronger attacks and the tornado being much more useful than F.L.U.D.D. in my opinion. Also no one really uses Doc so maining him makes me feel special.

ZuGo

Smash Rookie
He's my homie; I mained him as soon as I got the game and since then I have used other characters, but I just keep coming back to the Doc because he works so well for me. Over 2000 Kills and a 73% win percentage logged in with Doc.

crazydude550

Smash Rookie
NNID
Weirdman90
First thought he was exactly like Mario. Then realized his up tilt combo didn't work as well. So I tried a few different things, trained hard, and now I like him with the custom Ol' One-Two and in his default form. Gotta love them stage spikes.

DarkK

Smash Apprentice
I remember that when I got Melee back in 2001, I really didn't see the difference between :mariomelee: and :drmario: . Still, I decided to main Doc since he look cooler, had cooler alternate costumes and had that pretty freaking cool taunt.

When Brawl came around, not only was Doc gone, but Mario was nerfed beyond belief, to the point that Sakurai even got rid of his Tornado and replaced it with F.L.U.D.D. Since :mario2: was horrible, I moved on to other characters, such as :luigi2:, :sonic:, :toonlink: and eventually my Brawl main, :jigglypuff:.

Smash 4 gets announced, and the demo is released to us Platinum Club Nintendo members, and Mario was back on his feet! He had great mobility and speed, and great combo potential. Still one thing remained that I absolutely despised: F.L.U.D.D. I don't get why Sakurai felt that F.L.U.D.D. was a good addition to Mario's moveset, since Mario would be so much better if he had his Tornado back.

Still, for a while, Mario was back to being my main in Smash 4, but then it came.....the massive leak. The one confirming many characters, such as :4shulk: , :4duckhunt: , :4darkpit: and of course, :4drmario: . I had high hopes for him, but then the jokes about him having a nurse F.L.U.D.D. began, and I started to get worried because Sakurai is the type of person who would do that. Eventually someone started streaming the japanese version, and as soon as I saw him with his Tornado, I decided to main him over Mario.

Game comes out, I unlock Doc, I play him, he feels great! However as many people have said, I realized that he wasn't just Mario with Tornado, but an entirely different beast altogether. People have compared :4mario: and :4drmario: to :4falcon: and :4ganondorf: and to a certain extend, I agree. Doc is a slower, but powerful Mario, with perhaps the same moveset, but with vastly different properties. In the end, I prefer Doc's slow-paced but rewarding style over Mario's fast and furious one.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
I have him as my secondary solely because I mained Doc in melee. His playstyle is also different from yoshi so its a bit refreshing to play him during friendlies. While he doesn't quite shine like he did in melee, I do enjoy getting the occasional throw to fair combo.

Denzill7

Smash Cadet
I started off in Smash 4 playing G&W and Mario until I got absolutely destroyed by a Doc on For Glory. So I tried him out for a bit and gradually started enjoying his better kill power and his auto cancelled aerials out of short hop, and I shifted to playing him instead of regular Mario. It completely changed my previous assumption that he was terrible, and while I think Mario is still better than him, I like Doc way more. Plus his playstyle is drastically different from G&W, so it's sometimes refreshing to play aggressively instead of super defensively.

onehundredhitz

Smash Apprentice
Doc is a cold, calculated killer. When Smash 4 first came out, I was actually maining Toon Link just to get myself acquainted with the game and For Glory. Some time goes by and once I got acclimated to the system, I started bouncing around the character roster. While I had Doc, I was playing Luigi at the time, and then I played my friend, who chose black Doc. It was then I started to remember that 1: Doc was in the game, and 2: he's the one True Mario with the tornado down-b. Played him for a little while, and he was terrible back then (as well as I as a player), so I dropped him, started bouncing around the roster again. Some months and patches roll by, I came back to Doc and... Everything just started clicking with him.

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
He was my melee main, always felt like he was rewarding, balanced & enjoyable overall.
Simple as that, really.

Thinktron

Smash Apprentice
The Dr. Mario sound effect's in his move set sounded so cool to me when i was playing melee, to be honest iv always liked clones

Seeing him confirmed for smash 4 was hype for me, while hes not a great character competitively hes very solid and takes a lot of patience, the fact that hes rare online is also a plus

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
When I unlock him in melee, he became my main along with Pikachu, Kirby, Yoshi, and the Mario bros. I enjoy playing with him as much as Mario, even though Mario is my stronger main. As soon as I heard that Dr Mario returns in Smash 4, he's already mark as my main. Even though he got some nerfs and wasn't a very good fighter compared to the Mario bros, I've still play him no matter. Sometimes, hes more fun than Mario because of his stronger koing moves, sound effects, and the "Fist" which is a "I will f you up if you do me wrong".

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I don't main Doc, but I dabble with him for fun.

He was my main back in Melee, he's a character I've always been fond of. Just the audacity of the fact that Mario as a doctor is a playable character in Smash - truly magical. It helps that he's very fun to play and makes for a nice twist on the classic Mario gameplay.

When he was revealed for Smash 4, my initial reaction was, "Oh, cool, he was fun." When I got to play him, I realised just how much more fun I have with him than Mario: the methodical, refined moves that reward patience and good fundamentals just works for me.

DeployableMuffin

Smash Cadet
NNID
DaRaginAsian
3DS FC
4725-9074-1531
i picked up doc cause i think he looks cooler than mario... his taunts are better his idle animations are better... yeah thats it

JSG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JustinJSG
I find Doc to be more fun than regular Mario. I used to main Mario back in the 3DS days (who didn't?), and I was rather disappointed with Doc earlier on in the game's life span. However, the more I used Doc in the WiiU, the more satisfying he was to play with. His combo game is also more interesting to me, and getting reads with Up B and Fair is so rewarding. While he may be written off as one of the worst characters, he's still a fun one in my book.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
I main doc was because he was a real good combo character in melee for me.When he was announced for wiiu and his recovery is worse I wanted to use him and find good recovery options

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820
Still one thing remained that I absolutely despised: F.L.U.D.D. I don't get why Sakurai felt that F.L.U.D.D. was a good addition to Mario's moveset, since Mario would be so much better if he had his Tornado back.
Go play Super Mario Sunshine and you will realize why. Also Fludd is amazing and I think Mario would be worse with the tornado.

I play Dr.M because melee.

DarkK

Smash Apprentice
Go play Super Mario Sunshine and you will realize why. Also Fludd is amazing and I think Mario would be worse with the tornado.

I own Mario Sunshine and....no, the tornado is way better than Fludd. I've only used it to disrespect Shulks online, and that's about it.

I like Mario's dair tornado, as it can lead to some pretty sick combos with his utilts and air attacks, but Doc can do the same with his dair, so I really don't see the point of not giving Mario his tornado back.

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820
I own Mario Sunshine and....no, the tornado is way better than Fludd. I've only used it to disrespect Shulks online, and that's about it.

I like Mario's dair tornado, as it can lead to some pretty sick combos with his utilts and air attacks, but Doc can do the same with his dair, so I really don't see the point of not giving Mario his tornado back.
Seeing as you own it then you should see why and also online isn't the only thing there is. FLUDD has amazing utility. Regardless I like DrM over M and besides no more clones!

DarkK

Smash Apprentice
Seeing as you own it then you should see why and also online isn't the only thing there is. FLUDD has amazing utility. Regardless I like DrM over M and besides no more clones!
If Fludd had the other nozzles, then maybe, but as it is, it only works for setting fair (which is highly predictable) and disrepecting Ikes and Shulks. I'd rather just have the tornado.

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820
If Fludd had the other nozzles, then maybe, but as it is, it only works for setting fair (which is highly predictable) and disrepecting Ikes and Shulks. I'd rather just have the tornado.
OMFG how cool would that be. Dude why would you say that now I want something that they won't do. It can totally disrespect a lot of others though pretty much a majority of the list. What I would really like to see is them cater more to the games the characters come from and the smash community. A certain mod game was able to add some cool costumes and do this crazy thing with Samus that changes her blaster arm. If only we can have that dedication to this game.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I've been a Mario main my whole life, so Doc was fairly easy to pick up, so I did. :)

FLYING 7UR7LE

Smash Cadet
NNID
FLYINGTRTL
3DS FC
5413-0294-8873

Fludd would be amazing if you could hover with it like in super mario sunshine.

FLYING 7UR7LE

Smash Cadet
NNID
FLYINGTRTL
3DS FC
5413-0294-8873
Fludd would be amazing if you could hover with it like in super mario sunshine.
I just realized that I just said what other people were saying about fludd. I should have read the all the posts before replying.
I just accidentally double posted while trying to edit my post, plz don't ban me. How do I get rid of this post?

Last edited:

Crazc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RJB0077
3DS FC
2191-8077-5809
I picked him up, for, well, IDK. I played him a little after I unlocked him in the 3DS version, and preferred how he played to Mario He stuck with me.

I practice him the most compared to my other mains (Captain Falcon, Shiek, Villager, and Roy) because he just needs more attention to be able to play as competitively.

I only pull him out in a tournament if I'm looking to have some fun, or if I'm confident my opponent isnt good enough to beat him. And for certain matchups; like Bowser and DK. Heavyweights are crazy fun to play against as Doc. I usually just play as Falcon in tournaments. All other characters I main are for either tier-whoring (Shiek) or for certain matchups (Villager, Roy, Doc).

DarkK

Smash Apprentice
OMFG how cool would that be. Dude why would you say that now I want something that they won't do. It can totally disrespect a lot of others though pretty much a majority of the list. What I would really like to see is them cater more to the games the characters come from and the smash community. A certain mod game was able to add some cool costumes and do this crazy thing with Samus that changes her blaster arm. If only we can have that dedication to this game.
It would be really cool to combine hover nuzzle with tornado, as it would have both the effect of Mario Tornado in terms of recovery and the pushing properties of Fludd. Or having rocket nuzzle as his up or something. Now I want a third Mario: Sunshine Mario, where all of his specials are Fludd's nuzzles.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
F.L.U.D.D. is undebatably better than the Tornado. In this game, at least.

Doc was the main Melee, the few short years I played of it. I was kinda sad when he got cut in Brawl, but regardless, I mained Mario loyally. When I found out that Doc was in Smash 4, there was no doubt in my mind that I was going to main him, or at least second. With my prior experience with Mario in Brawl and Doc in Melee, I picked him up with ease. Wish his recovery was better, though.

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820
. Wish his recovery was better, though.
I think it is actually really good. vB -> jump -> ^B I think his is at least as good as Mario's if not better. I mean not everyone can or should have Olimar/Villager or Sheik type recovery.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
It's just all-around more versatile. In addition to the obvious gimping uses (which Mario can do without putting himself in danger), FLUDD is also very good for regaining stage control and resetting back to neutral. It can also be used as a fake-out tool with FLUDD Cancelling. You'd be surprised how useful that actually is.
I think it is actually really good. vB -> jump -> ^B I think his is at least as good as Mario's if not better. I mean not everyone can or should have Olimar/Villager or Sheik type recovery.
It could be really good, except Dr. Tornado has too much ending lag, his jump is too low for how low his air speed is, and Doc Jump hardly goes anywhere.

DarkK

Smash Apprentice
It's just all-around more versatile. In addition to the obvious gimping uses (which Mario can do without putting himself in danger), FLUDD is also very good for regaining stage control and resetting back to neutral. It can also be used as a fake-out tool with FLUDD Cancelling. You'd be surprised how useful that actually is.

It could be really good, except Dr. Tornado has too much ending lag, his jump is too low for how low his air speed is, and Doc Jump hardly goes anywhere.
What's this FLUDD Cancelling you speak of? It could be useful to know.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
FLUDD more useful than Tornado? Mario is a better character, there is no debate, but Tornado does a bunch of things including but not limited to
- Throwing out giant hitboxes
- Stalling pretty decently as a recovery mixup
- Killing the heaviest character in the game at 70% when used optimally for edgeguarding (WITH NO RAGE, MIND YOU)
- Does not need to be charged up per stock
- Is decent in the neutral if you mix it up properly

Mario in this game would be objectively better if he had Doc's Down-B because of how strong a presence it is as an edgeguarding tool and as a move overall. If Mario had Doc Nado and his current air speed he'd be even better than he already is. The other way it would be worse is in Customs because Scalding FLUDD wouldn't exist which is "I win the neutral for free" as far as Mario customs go.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
What's this FLUDD Cancelling you speak of? It could be useful to know.
It's simple. You just cancel FLUDD mid charge. If someone is foolish enough to attack you, you can jump cancel an up smash or an SJP with no lag. So it's helpful against someone who you know is going to be aggro.
FLUDD more useful than Tornado? Mario is a better character, there is no debate, but Tornado does a bunch of things including but not limited to
- Throwing out giant hitboxes
- Stalling pretty decently as a recovery mixup
- Killing the heaviest character in the game at 70% when used optimally for edgeguarding (WITH NO RAGE, MIND YOU)
- Does not need to be charged up per stock
- Is decent in the neutral if you mix it up properly
Mario in this game would be objectively better if he had Doc's Down-B because of how strong a presence it is as an edgeguarding tool and as a move overall. If Mario had Doc Nado and his current air speed he'd be even better than he already is. The other way it would be worse is in Customs because Scalding FLUDD wouldn't exist which is "I win the neutral for free" as far as Mario customs go.
- That's why we have back air and up smash, which are infinitely safer.
- I'll give you that, but Mario's higher jump and air speed hardly makes it necessary.
- Meanwhile, FLUDD can kill at 0% if used properly. Without throwing yourself offstage.
- See above.
- FLUDD is better in the neutral. See above post.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
It's simple. You just cancel FLUDD mid charge. If someone is foolish enough to attack you, you can jump cancel an up smash or an SJP with no lag. So it's helpful against someone who you know is going to be aggro.

- That's why we have back air and up smash, which are infinitely safer.
- I'll give you that, but Mario's higher jump and air speed hardly makes it necessary.
- Meanwhile, FLUDD can kill at 0% if used properly. Without throwing yourself offstage.
- See above.
- FLUDD is better in the neutral. See above post.
The only way FLUDD is killing at 0% is if they **** up horribly. It's a pretty bad move in this game all things considered, it has its uses but you're going to see Doc use his Down-B much more frequently and that's because it is a better move.

I don't even think FLUDD is THAT bad, but why would you want to reset to neutral with Mario, whose best state is up close and personal? Just wondering. Maybe to lame out fatties or large characters but uhhh, not really seeing it. The most FLUDD can do is kind of manipulate recovery kind of, but it's not very good at that with how the ledgesnapping works and how people can just recover low vs. FLUDD and never get hit ever.

Mario would be a better character with Dr. Mario's Down-B. I don't think I've heard any other Mario main argue with me about this, mostly because Dr. Mario's Down-B is a really REALLY good move. Nothing anyone says will convince me otherwise, Mario's recovery would get better, his recovery stalling and mixups would get better, his edgeguarding would improve massively at RELEVANT levels and not just if they're bad and get hit by FLUDD offstage stupidly (like REALLY stupidly, how do you kill at 0%? They'd have to put THEMSELVES offstage vs. Mario which, while not threatening, is dumb) and with Mario's air speed it would crossup shields and be ridiculous with the large hitboxes it has (the horizontal hitboxes outprioritize Sonic's spindash consistently, they're about the length of Zelda's Uair hitboxes as far as disjoint goes, from the base of Doc's body). The move is just better, Doc would be a worse character with FLUDD (I'd argue not even worth playing with FLUDD) and Mario would be a ridiculous character with Nado.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Wow, that must take some dedication to a degree to pull that off.
To a degree, yes. You have to be in the right place, at the right time, and the opponent has to **** up something fierce. Nonetheless though, when it works, it works. FLUDD is the reason why I'm scared to recover high against Mario.
The only way FLUDD is killing at 0% is if they **** up horribly. It's a pretty bad move in this game all things considered, it has its uses but you're going to see Doc use his Down-B much more frequently and that's because it is a better move.

I don't even think FLUDD is THAT bad, but why would you want to reset to neutral with Mario, whose best state is up close and personal? Just wondering. Maybe to lame out fatties or large characters but uhhh, not really seeing it. The most FLUDD can do is kind of manipulate recovery kind of, but it's not very good at that with how the ledgesnapping works and how people can just recover low vs. FLUDD and never get hit ever.

Mario would be a better character with Dr. Mario's Down-B. I don't think I've heard any other Mario main argue with me about this, mostly because Dr. Mario's Down-B is a really REALLY good move. Nothing anyone says will convince me otherwise, Mario's recovery would get better, his recovery stalling and mixups would get better, his edgeguarding would improve massively at RELEVANT levels and not just if they're bad and get hit by FLUDD offstage stupidly (like REALLY stupidly, how do you kill at 0%? They'd have to put THEMSELVES offstage vs. Mario which, while not threatening, is dumb) and with Mario's air speed it would crossup shields and be ridiculous with the large hitboxes it has (the horizontal hitboxes outprioritize Sonic's spindash consistently, they're about the length of Zelda's Uair hitboxes as far as disjoint goes, from the base of Doc's body). The move is just better, Doc would be a worse character with FLUDD (I'd argue not even worth playing with FLUDD) and Mario would be a ridiculous character with Nado.
See, this sounds like someone who doesn't know how to use FLUDD. It is most certainly not a bad move. When you find yourself against the ledge being pressured and you can just say, "Nope, **** off" with the press of a button, you'll see how "bad" it is.
Dr. Tornado, while a good move, is quite frankly filled with flaws. It's ending lag prevents it from being an effective recovery move unless you have a double jump, it's rather weak onstage, it's easily predicted, and doesn't have nearly as many applications as FLUDD. Between Doc's excellent down air and up smash, the only thing that would actually be missed is the recovery boost, but honestly, Doc's recovery is bad enough to where the difference would be minuscule, especially the fact that Doc would actually be able to edgeguard people safely. And let's not cut corners, Doc has the mobility of an old man, so being able to instantly force pressure off you would be amazing, and would only further aid Doc's amazing defensive game. Everything else you said just amounts to you not knowing how to use FLUDD, so I won't bother.

Top Bottom