• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What kind of playstyle do Fox mains play?

MegaJoseph32123

Smash Cadet
So here lately I have been practicing fox. So Fox Mains, what playstyle do you usually do? How to you play the character? Just kinda wondering how the character is from others perspective.

King David

Smash Cadet
NNID
KingDavid318
Switch FC
SW 3935 6691 7691
I am more of a rush down character- I like to overwhelm my opponents with speed and quickness and really become a pest. I think this lends to what Fox is really good at. Just make sure you don't over extend yourself. When I'm not playing well, I try to slow play down a bit and play a little bit more reactive, trying to catch my opponents' mistakes or punishable habits.

Cam61

Smash Rookie
Sorry for the weird reply to my original post I only meant to edit it but ig I accidentally hit reply when I meant to hit edit and I don't know how or if I even can delete it. I realize the OP was a month ago but hey who knows maybe you'd still be interested in some of this.

Rush down is what fox does best. How I like to play fox is apply as much shield pressure as I can at the start this way they feel pressure but still feel safe behind their shield. Then I go for tomahawk grabs and even dash grabs if I've conditioned my opponent to expect dash attack. After that just try to capitalize on each combo as much as I can then retreat and reset neutral to do it all over again.

If I get stuck in a combo and start to feel pressured I try to get away as fast as possible then reset neutral and try again. Don't try to be a hero and go for trades to escape a combo. You're the fastest falling character in the game so by the time you can trade assuming you can actually trade with your opponents attack you will have already taken 50+ damage. you could have just jumped, ran, air dodged, smash di, or even illusioned away and only took 20-30 damage.

Spot dodge into down smash is a good get the **** off me move too if you are getting punished for whiffing moves with low end lag like dash attack, auto-canceled arterials, and even f-smash. Also roll behind up smash seems to work on people way more than it should so if your having trouble with people blocking your up smash give it a try.

Last edited:

Cam61

Smash Rookie
I realize that you posted this a month ago but hey who knows maybe you'd still be interested in some of this.

Rush down is what fox does best. How I like to play fox is apply as much shield pressure as I can at the start this way they feel pressure but still feel safe behind their shield. Then I go for tomahawk grabs and even dash grabs if I've conditioned my opponent to expect dash attack. After that just try to capitalize on each combo as much as I can then retreat and reset neutral to do it all over again.

If I get stuck in a combo and start to feel pressured I try to get away as fast as possible then reset neutral and try again. Don't try to be a hero and go for trades to escape a combo. You're the fastest falling character in the game so by the time you can trade assuming you can actually trade with your opponents attack you will have already taken 50+ damage. you could have just jumped, ran, air dodged, smash di, or even illusioned away and only took 20-30 damage.

Spot dodge into down smash is a good get the **** off me move too if you are getting punished for whiffing moves with low end lag like dash attack, auto-canceled arterials, and even f-smash. Also roll behind up smash seems to work on people way more than it should so if your having trouble with people blocking your up smash give it a try.

Top Bottom