• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What kind of modes would you like to see in the next installment?

Drizzlebow

Banned via Warnings
Title.

--------

I think a Great Cave Offensive type mode could be epic. Not like Smash Run, like the Super Star version. I can picture a massive map filled with over 400 different types of collectibles, maybe even some of them being Nintendo themed to draw more parallels between Super Star. If this was a mode, there would obviously be chests that contain food, custom equipment, and special collectibles. A cool way to nab collectibles might be to battle members of the roster in giant battle domes. The arena's ceilings would be a big massive Danger Zone, so you would have to rack up damage and send them upwards to get the KO and the reward collectible. I imagine there would be special keys to unlock doors and chests found within the labyrinth. Each key would have to be themed to match the door or chest, however, because the player might get lost trying to find which key goes where. Possibly, locked doors could lead to bosses, like how "dirty doors" lead to bosses or shadow clones in the SE.

Of course, a mode like this wouldn't work without enemies! I would guess the enemies would be from Nintendo franchises, like Smash Run. Maybe, instead of enemies having health bars, they would have percentages like you. Whenever you get launched off the screen in the SE or Smash Run, you die. Why can't it be the same for enemies? When you nab all of the collectibles, you could be transported to a All-Star Mode type gauntlet, where you fight all of the franchises in a row, with rest stops of course. Franchises would fight you in teams, along with top-notch AI. Enemies would be handicapped depending on their team size. For example, fighting Mario and the gang would be like regular 8-Player Smash, but fighting Little Mac would like be fighting a mini-Giga Bowser.
A mode like this seems like it would be either a mode that only opens up once you have all of the characters, or a mode that has exclusive characters to fight and recruit.

Whatever, those are my wants. Now post yours.

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Hmm...I'd say something like survival or time attack mode from Tekken 3. Choose a character, and win as many matches as y'all can with only one stock. With every match won, y'all heal 10% damage and the CPU progressively gets harder to defeat. Y'all partake in one-on-one, team battles or free-for-alls. Yeah...pretty similar to Crazy Orders but nothing is at risk. High scores net greater rewards like gold, custom parts, whatever.

With time attack, it's sort of like SSB4's classic mode but the difficulty is set to hard and may not be changed. How fast can you win various one-on-ones, team battles, and free-for-alls (oh my)?

Maybe an event match creator? We've had to undertake unusual missions to win prizes and ****, so I think it's time they allow us to make our own events and send them to friends like we can Mii Fighters, replays, and what have you.

*sigh* Y'all shugs will have to excuse me; this is the best I've got for now.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
In stock mode, you should be able to stack characters. So in a three stock battle, you can have Bower, DK and Wario.

Each character could also have a tag-out (Switch *get it*) attack. They perform their special switch attack before the next character in the line-up appears.

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
I definitely wanna see type of Adevnture Mode return. You go through Nintendo worlds and batle bosses until you reach the Final Battle. Another idea I had was a Monoply like game. You land on certain spaces and you can buy Characters, Equipment and etc. You can also land on battle spaces to well start a Battle. You can't run into other players to start a battle. The rest is basically a fixed Smash Tour.

Drizzlebow

Banned via Warnings
In stock mode, you should be able to stack characters. So in a three stock battle, you can have Bower, DK and Wario.

Each character could also have a tag-out (Switch *get it*) attack. They perform their special switch attack before the next character in the line-up appears.
That's neat. If it actually made the signature sound when you switched, the game would be an 11/10 for me.

PF9

Smash Lord
There are some new features I'd like to see

*A feature where you can adjust how the in-game crowd reacts to each character. You could make the crowd sympathetic towards some characters, and venomous towards others - a feature which is inspired by professional wrestling (where the crowd is supposed to root for the faces, which are the good guys, and against the heels, the bad guys).

*More minigames in 2 varieties - the first would be minigames in which all characters could participate. One such minigame I'd like to see is a swim race mingame (an expansion of the swimming mechanism), which would allow you to race against others and also have a time trial mode. Then there would be character-specific minigames. For example, Pikachu's minigame could be a maze which at the end would be a piece of cheese (a reference to what is done with mice in real life).

Those and a new story mode.

The Smash Nerd II.0.

Smash Journeyman
Another idea I had was a Monoply like game. You land on certain spaces and you can buy Characters, Equipment and etc. You can also land on battle spaces to well start a Battle. You can't run into other players to start a battle. The rest is basically a fixed Smash Tour.
No, we don't need a Smash Tour 2.0.
No gimmicks.

Last edited:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
I say I'd like to expand the vault similar to Namco Museum games found on the PS1 for a new mode.

For conversation sake I will call it "Smash Museum". You explore this museum as a Mii. You go to dedicated places termed "halls" that feature costumes for purchase (of the Miis), the "Masterpieces", accessories for interaction and purchase, viewing a franchise's history in gaming, viewing character models, a fun trophy display, and even NPC's and fun universe interactions. You can quick travel to favorite spots for pictures, go to a theater to view replays and photos, and get on a small train to go quicker in the museum mode. Outside the museum mode will be a quick mode for a "get on with it" approach to Smash Museum for viewing content quickly without the museum getting in the way.

I'll use Peach's Castle from Super Mario 64 as an example model for a hall. The 1st floor hub to worlds harbors the different rooms to go to with the higher floor and basement and courtyard areas blocked off. The Jolly Roger's Bay room is now a trophy display room to display your favorite Mario trophies with an interactive Toad to help you out with trophy placement and some small talk. The secret slide room is now a fun interaction to slide into the Trophy room. The arcade machine for Super Mario Bros. is located where the Winged cap area entrance sun was in the 64 game. Cool Cool Mountain room is a history room to read on Mario's history and Bowser's door on the Star Door is re-purposed as a second floor to the Cool Cool Mountain room for exploration purposes. Bob-Omb Battlefield room allows to view the models of the playable fighters and also for small talk with a pink Bob-Omb. Whomp's Fortress room is for the shop where a Toad can give Mario related costumes and accessories for purchase (with Smash coins of course.) A mushroom-shaped jukebox can let you listen/change the music while you explore the room with many Mario themes available in the game.

The intent the halls have are to feel like you are actually visiting the world. The NPC's in the halls are also the real deal from the world to add in the feeling of you are in that universe. I believe this would be a great idea if done well. I am almost certain the Smash team could do a better job executing this than me.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Back during Smash 4 speculation, I often heard the idea of an "King of the Hill" mode tossed around and I still think it's the one of the best ideas I've heard.

You select a stage and then the stage designates a spot as the hill, and the player that has spent the most amount of time in the designated spot wins. Of course, they could instead give you points based how much time you spent there, while deducting points for getting K.O.'ed.

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
Not really "new", but I'd like to see Stamina mode become a real mode. As in, a versus mode option like Time & Coin Battle, and not confined to Special Smash. The fact that the 3DS version only had it in Smash Run irked me, and the Wii U version supported online stamina matches in tournament mode only double irked me.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Adventure Mode
Classic Classic Mode
Individual Break The Targets
Individual Board The Platforms
A stock mode were each stock is a new character
Online stock matches

D

Deleted member

I would like to see...
-Something akin to Project M's All-Star battle, where when one character dies, you move on to the next. It would honestly be very interesting and would encourage players to play multiple characters from the roster.
-Break the Targets should return, whether it's map difficulty or each character has their own map. Break the Targets is infinitely better than Target Blast. Board the Platforms would be cool, too.
-Melee styled Adventure Mode where we explore the many lands of Nintendo and fight Nintendo enemies. I'm not a fan of SSE's boring locales and bland enemy designs with Mario enemies thrown into the mix.
-An actual Classic Mode where you go stage to stage without being forced into an 8-player Smash. The one on Wii U is terrible.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
I would like to see...
-Something akin to Project M's All-Star battle, where when one character dies, you move on to the next. It would honestly be very interesting and would encourage players to play multiple characters from the roster.
-Break the Targets should return, whether it's map difficulty or each character has their own map. Break the Targets is infinitely better than Target Blast. Board the Platforms would be cool, too.
-Melee styled Adventure Mode where we explore the many lands of Nintendo and fight Nintendo enemies. I'm not a fan of SSE's boring locales and bland enemy designs with Mario enemies thrown into the mix.
-An actual Classic Mode where you go stage to stage without being forced into an 8-player Smash. The one on Wii U is terrible.
All-Star Battle is something that needs to happen!
I think making a Break the targets for every character should be too much, maybe they can make for series? Or better: an mix up of break the targets and board the platforms!
Also: Melee adventure mode > subspace
I totally hated the classic mode they made for Wii U

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wish the game had some little custscenes of crossover goodness. Things like Pac-Man getting help from Luigi to eat all the pellets in peace or Sonic and Captain Falcon having a race.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Team Battle.
In Soulcalibur 2, there were multiple modes where you chose a team of 3-8 characters and either played in an arcade-style gauntlet of CPU teams or in a VS match with someone else. You swapped characters when the one you were using was KO'd.

The only mode I can say I actively want for Smash. So simple, yet it would be so much fun. And it's frustrating that we were *so* close to getting it in Smash 4.

But it was tacked onto Smash Tour. So depressing.

Besides that, I think they should combine Smash 3DS's Classic Mode with Melee's Adventure Mode and have Classic Mode be a simple Arcade mode like in Melee. Everyone wins.

PF9

Smash Lord
Create your own event matches.

That and a mode where you can bet on online Smash matches in-game currency,

Also each local release should have a popular sportscaster do the announcing duties (like the US release have Al Michaels).

RisanF

Smash Rookie
Hey, I'm RisanF. I've written a Smash Bros. essay I wanted to get some traction, so I tried registering, only to discover I had actually registered over 10 years ago. This is a piece discussing Adventure Mode in the Smash Bros series, so I wasn't sure which board to post it on, since it covers Melee, Brawl, Sm4sh, and Switch. You can move this essay to another board if you need to, but I just wanted to come here try and make a few points, since rumors for Smash Switch are abound.

(also, this thing is long, so you might want to grab a drink or something)

-

In Defense of "Adventure Mode": A Smash Bros. Essay

If there's one thing that's controversial among the various Smash Bros. communities, it's the Adventure Mode in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. The defining feature of Brawl, "Subspace Emissary" has been derided as shallow, extraneous, and just not suited for the fighting/party game Smash Bros. purports to be. Yet in recent years, Adventure Mode in general has become a hot topic for the Smash Bros. message boards, due to the conspicuous lack of one in the 3DS and Wii U versions. I'm here to cut to the meat of the Adventure Modes in the Smash series, to make my best argument in favor of them, and to discuss the possibility of Adventure Mode in future incarnations of Smash.

This essay is biased in favor of Adventure Mode, but will not be pure apologia. I'll discuss weaknesses to the Adventure Modes when I find them. However, I hope my arguments will illuminate how indispensable such a mode can be for the Smash series. If you come into this essay agreeing with me, or are hostile to "Subspace Emissary" in general, I hope you'll stick around and see if anything here helps put things into perspective.

First of all, why have an Adventure Mode in Smash Bros. anyway? After all, Smash is a fighting game, right? Suitable only for tests of skill between devoted pro-gamers and fans of Capcom/SNK fighters. Well, not exactly. It's well known that Smash director Masahiro Sakurai considered the Smash series a wacky party game first, and a fighting game second. Hardcore Smash fans balk at this, and defend Smash's fighting credentials, citing the more technically-oriented Smash Bros. Melee as Exhibit A. Although many arguments there are valid, I want to concentrate on a side-effect of Sakurai's construction of his party fighter, in that it's become something of a jack-of-all-trades. It's not just a fighting game; it's a hybrid of many different types of games.

For one thing, it's partially a brawler. Smash Bros. combatants are designed to handle multiple enemies at once, with sweeping attacks, crouch moves that strike in two directions at once, and various specials designed to get you out of a tight spot. If you're not playing it as a strictly one-on-one fighter, you're likely in a battle with several opponents, with all the mayhem that follows. And in the Multi-Man modes, Smash Bros. becomes the pinnacle of mindless brawlers featuring the wanton disposal of easily defeated cannon-fodder that keeps on coming.

It's also something of a platformer as well. Key mechanics in Smash revolve around your height in relation to other fighters, your wide variety of aerial attacks, and your various ways of scrambling back to the main platform after getting launched. As the series has aged, Smash Bros. has added to its platforming element, with tether mechanics, gliding abilities, and even Metroid-style wall-jumping. And from the onset. Super Smash Bros. featured Break the Targets and Board the Platforms, modes designed specifically to test your platforming skills.

All this leads up to Super Smash Bros. Melee. While many consider this to be the most pure Smash in terms of being an intricate, skill-based fighter, this is also the game that introduced Adventure Mode, a short series of side-scrolling levels that use the brawler and platforming mechanics of Smash to facilitate a combat platformer game in the vein of Sakurai's Kirby titles. Players could take platforming veterans like Mario and Donkey Kong back into their native environment, along with characters like Fox and Ness that belong to different genres, giving each of them the freedom to move about and clobber Goombas and Koopas at their leisure.

True, Adventure Mode was a bit threadbare. Aside from the first Mushroom Kingdom stage and the Zelda stage, the stages were altogether lacking aspects expected of traditional platformers, with some stages resembling regular Smash scenarios from Super Smash Bros. 64's Classic Mode. Nevertheless, the Adventure Mode in Melee set the foundation for additional excursions in this direction. Along with Multi Man Melee, and the interesting platforming layouts for Melee's version of Break the Targets, Smash Bros. was branching out, becoming less of a dedicated fighter and more of an interesting hybrid fighter/brawler/platformer.

Enter "Subspace Emissary."

In a stunning surprise for Smash fans, the big feature of 2008's Super Smash Bros Brawl was not new stages or new characters (although there were plenty of both), but a robust expansion of Melee's Adventure Mode. Yes, Smash Bros. had gone full action-platformer with SSE, featuring full stages with forests and fields, an onslaught of enemy armies, bosses ranging from Ridley to original foes, and a variety of trophies and collectibles exclusive to that mode. Moreover, it featured a full, cinematic story with all your favorite Nintendo characters (plus Sonic and Snake) thrown into the real world, teaming up to take down a foe bigger than all of them. It was the Smash Bros. game I always wanted, and offered me many hours of enjoyment.

Before I continue, I need to disclose something about me personally: I am not primarily a fighting game fan. I am not skilled at pulling off combos and special moves, I don't really care about proving my skill to the fighting game community, and I get easily bored when confined to a small arena fighting a singular opponent. No, I prefer large environments to traverse, beating on hoards of minions, and opportunities to show off my characters cool moves. "Subspace Emissary" features all this, and lets you experience it with the main lineup of Nintendo characters, many featuring new moves to make them more combat-ready.

Because of my position, this probably leads to a disconnect of sorts, as the Smash Bros. community at large was not as receptive to "Subspace Emissary" as I would have hoped. These were gamers who loved Smash for its competitive fighting, and Adventure Mode was not on their list for Most-Requested-Smash-Features. And hey, what was with this mindless, shallow beat-em-up anyway, with its clunky platforming and bland backgrounds? Why do I have to play it to unlock all the characters? Why didn't they spend all that effort into making a better competitive fighter? And why isn't Ridley a playable character?

"Subspace Emissary" is not perfect. Platformers and brawlers rarely are, actually, and all have problems unique to those genres. However, I don't believe that SSE is the tumor on Smash that some of its detractors label it as. I'm going to tackle some of the more common arguments against "Subspace Emissary", one by one, and offer my own perspective and counterarguments.

Here we go!

1. It's Repetitive

It may come as a strange thing to say to those that hate brawlers, but a certain degree of repetition is fine, even necessary for any sort of brawler, or really videogames in general. Fans of the much derided-Dynasty Warriors series love those games for the visceral, mindless appeal of being a one-man army against the hoards of evil (or hoards of good guys, as the case may be). It's a kind of high that's achieved when the gameplay really gets into the proper flow of hacking and slashing. In fact, I would say that a game can even falter if it's not repetitive enough.

One of my complaints with the recent entries in the Kirby series is that it mixes up its gameplay way too much. One minute, you're grooving along leaving a swash of destruction with your Copy abilities, then you're suddenly at a swimming segment and can't use them, or you're solving some sort of puzzle, or tilting a gyro-controller to operate some contraption, or using a Super Ability or Hyper Nova. All these detract from the core concept of Kirby; using your ability of choice to kick some adorable ass. The same kind of problem is present in the Playstation 2 title "Jak 3", which kept you driving a bunch vehicles instead of using your collection of awesome firearms.

"Subspace Emissary" follows the same design blueprint as Kirby Super Star, with its ladders, barrel cannons, mine cart rides, and emphasis on combat. However, "Subspace" sticks closely to the combat aspect, and I think it's all the better for it. There a few gizmos here and there, like keys, breakable blocks. switch-flipping, mazes, and such. But just like in Super Star, the actual fun doesn't come from the gizmos lying about, but from the firepower at your disposal.

"Subspace Emissary" offers the opportunity to bring Kid Icarus frontman Pit back into the fray, not only with laser light arrows, but a pair of short swords as well. You can once again play as Mario, but with the option of giving him a lightsaber to slash up Goombas and Koopas. With the addition of the special Sticker feature that grants additional abilities and items, "Subspace Emissary" is like throwing all your action figures into a pile and going nuts with them. To conclude, it's fine for an Adventure Mode to throw in a little variety now and again, but really, you shouldn't stray from the central conceits of action platformers: the action and platforming.

2. It's Bland

A common criticism of "Subspace Emissary" is its level design and enemy assortment. The stages are mostly simply-designed fields and forests, and the enemies are primarily a bunch of nobodies with no connection to any existing Nintendo franchise, save for the odd Mushroom Kingdom baddie here and there. I can see the merit to these complaints, but I don't think these are quite deal-breakers. True, they could've added a bit more variety to the stages, like maybe some urban areas or recognizable Nintendo locales, but they still serve their purpose in facilitating platformer action-combat. When you think about it, most of the intricate designs for Brawl were probably saved for the arenas in the main game, so the programmers had to cut corners somewhere, considering how long some SSE stages are. They could have also benefited from a more cheerful color palette (Brawl adheres to the "Twilight Princess" school of low-saturation), but I think there's enough variety in the forests, caves, castles, and factories to hold up a decent action-platformer, especially with all the rest that SSE has going for it.

The other point levied at Brawl, that concerning the bland Subspace Army, is a bit different. They could definitely have used some more traditional enemies for SSE cannon fodder, especially since the Mario baddies did make an appearance. Yes, the Subspace Army are lacking a bit in personality, with the subdued color scheme contributing to their dour and soulless look. The choice of these enemies seems to pertain mainly to the "Evil Invaders" plot for the cutscenes, but maybe you don't care so much about plot in an action game?

Even so, the Subspace Army isn't a total washout. They may be a little dull, but there's certainly a wide variety of them, each with their own unique characteristics. The Primids make for a great common foot-soldier to beat up on, with sword, gun, boomerang, and giant variations. And really, that's what the Subspace Army is all about; a band of grunts to test your awesome moves on.

3: It's Cheap and Clunky

Sometimes it is. Certain groups of enemies and traps can get the drop on you, and send you bouncing all over the place before you have a chance to reorient yourself. Depending on which character you choose, platforming can be easy or hard, and Smash controls are generally not as free-flowing as something like Mario. And you won't see me defending the Giant Fake Diddy Kong fought in The Swamp.

However, all platformers have their cheap moments, and it doesn't necessarily make them irredeemable. Ninja Gaiden is full of one-hit insta-deaths when you're knocked off a cliff by a materializing falcon. Mega Man has its disappearing platforms and precarious perches, along with enemy placement where you're almost forced to take a hit. Even Kirby's Adventure is not immune to the concept of clunky level design and poor enemy placement (and good luck chasing an Ability Star when you've been burned, shocked, or frozen!)

The thing is, I don't see how too many people can complain when the very same things happen in a standard bout of Smash. The whole concept of the game revolves around you being flung against your will to disappear off the sides of the stage. To say nothing of Cruel Melee and some of the harder Event Matches, which can be as hard as Giant Diddy. If people can dedicate time and energy to becoming master smash competitors, I think they can handle a few cheap enemies and traps.

4. It Detracts from the Competitive Part of Smash

This one is a bit disingenuous, in my mind. The idea that development for SSE took away from development for regular Smash seems weak to me when you consider that Brawl still features a wealth of characters, stages, and items, even without the Adventure Mode. The infamous tripping mechanic and floaty physics are often cited as reasons for Brawl's inferiority to Melee, but these have really nothing to do with the existence of an Adventure Mode. Granted, attaching unlockables to SSE could be an impediment to those who only enjoy normal Smash, but most everything can also be unlocked via the main game. Smash thrives on its variety of gameplay modes, and I don't think SSE is in competition with regular Smash.

-

I could go all day addressing every argument levied against this Adventure Mode, but you get the idea: I think "Subspace Emissary" more than pulls its weight. It's a interesting, fitting addition to the world of Smash, and offers great value for beat-em-up fans. Moreover, it adds what even a regular fighting game needs: a dedicated, robust single-player-mode for solitary gamers who are also into Smash. Indeed, you'll hear no complaints from me if SSE makes a return for future installments.

Which leads us to Super Smash Bros.for the 3DS and Wii U.

One of the first things we heard from Sakurai about the two versions of Smash 4 was that it would NOT feature a traditional Adventure Mode like "Subspace Emissary." Citing the fact that SSE cutscenes were leaked online as a reason to hold back, Sakurai instead experimented with new gameplay modes and a bevy of supplementary extras, like Amiibo compatibility, power-up badges, custom special moves, and content exclusive to either the 3DS or Wii U versions. But Adventure Mode shouldn't be missed, right? After all, Sakurai is now concentrating on servicing the competitive Smash players with tighter mechanics and meta-play. Who cares about SSE?

More than you might think.

As of the time of this writing, Adventure Mode has become a more popular concept to discuss on the internet Smash forums. It turns out that competitive smash players either aren't as dominate in the fandom as they appear, or they enjoy a good Adventure Mode as well, since many players are decrying the lack of a dedicated one-player-mode. They claim that Wii U Smash has no meaningful single-player content, and that they lose some interest in the game as a result. Truly, you never know what you've got until you've lost it.

Why does the lack of an Adventure Mode sting so hard for Smash fans? Well, let's look at what Super Smash Brothers for the 3DS and Wii U does offer. A mode exclusive to the 3DS version is Smash Run, and it's the closest thing the Smash 4 games have to an Adventure Mode. Combatants are dumped into a maze for five minutes, batting Nintendo baddies to build up stats for a one minute final brawl, with abilities, trophies, and other swag doled out during gameplay. Already, this shows promise; the lack of recognizable enemies was a detriment to "Subspace Emissary", and it's good fun to take on anything from Octoroks, to Stalfos, to Dig Dug's Pooka monster. Sadly, you're restricted to just a five-minute-run, so the fun tends to end just when you're getting into it. You're also restricted to just one maze, so the scope of Smash Run definitely feels smaller when compared to SSE. Still, it's an interesting little mode, and the idea of quickly powering up your fighter in hopes of dominating the final match remains inspired. I'd put it on par with Super Smash Bros. Melee's Adventure Mode.

The Wii U version is a different story. The crown jewel of Wii U Smash is Smash Tour, a board game where players roll the dice and collect power-up stats, getting into Smash matches along the way. I'm not going to mince words: Smash Tour is truly horrible. All the players roll the dice at the exact same time, making the game very hectic very quickly. Text and icons are small on both the screen and the Wii U gamepad, and new information is flashed at you before you have a chance to digest them. The fighters available to you at any given point are almost completely random, and you are often stuck with using some weak character that you're not good with. The name of the game here is "random chaos", but like with the tripping mechanic, people don't like a lack of control in their games. Sakurai states that this mode was based on his initial concept for the Super Smash Bros. series. Proof positive that some ideas are best left on the cutting room floor.

What else to talk about with Smash 4? Well, there's 8-Player Smash, exclusive to the Wii U, and a good addition. There's Target Blast, a take on Break the Targets without the platforming component, and not such a good addition. There's a whole slew of clone and semi clone-characters, who have been savaged on the message forums for being a waste of programming. Sakurai bites back at this criticism, wondering why fans bother complaining about content strictly meant as extras.

I have a theory on why people are complaining about extras: it's because there's a lack of real meat to these two games. It's all sizzle and no steak, with tons of DLC, Mii Costumes, Event matches, and Masterpiece demos, but no single-player content to hold it all together. No matter what they say, Adventure Mode had become an integral part of the Smash Bros. series, and its absence is clearly missed. Taking away such a core component hit about as hard as the slip-shod battle mode featured in Mario Kart 8, which is rumored to be redone for the Nintendo Switch version of Mario Kart 8.

Finally, let's discuss the Nintendo Switch further.

If rumors are to be believed, there will be a port of Smash 4 for Nintendo's new portable/console hybrid system, to help give it a boost after the relative failure of the Wii U. Speculation is abound about what sort of new content should be included in this version, whether it be Inklings, Daisy, Bandanna Dee, or more Fire Emblem swordsmen (joke!) And it needs new content, make no mistake about that. There's practically no reason to buy another version of Smash 4 without new content, when many customers already have either the 3DS and Wii versions.

I submit to you this proposal: give Smash Switch an Adventure Mode. Really, it's the most obvious choice. All the rest of the content in Smash 4, including graphics, characters, and extras, is fine, but it needs that dedicated single-player-mode it's missing. It could be either a straight-up port of "Subspace Emissary" (Giant Fake Diddy Kong and all), or something all new filled with familiar Nintendo foes, but this will be the linchpin to justify a new Smash purchase.

Think of the possibilities! With Mega Man as a playable character, the Adventure Mode could be a stand-in for the new Mega Man game fans have been waiting for. Speaking of shooting games, someone like Bayonetta could have a field day filling up an assortment of enemies with white-hot lead. The pre-existing Badge system of Smash 4 could work well as an alternative to the Sticker system of Brawl, so very little would have to be changed in order to accommodate an Adventure Mode.

I say all this, not just to argue, but as a hopeful fan. I can guarantee, if Smash Switch has an Adventure Mode that can match "Subspace Emissary", the Nintendo Switch will be a day-one purchase for me. It's worth every penny to be able to play as Little Mac, Ryu, and Cloud Strife in a proper action platformer. Right now, these characters are only available for Adventure Mode through hacks and exploits of the original SSE, but if Nintendo and Sakurai pull through, the future of Adventure Mode in Super Smash Bros. could be very bright indeed.

And would someone please add Ridley to Smash? Let's take that big dragon into Adventure Mode! ;)

Freduardo

Smash Champion
If they make smash switch I really hope they add like ten more smash run stages.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I generally agree though there are a few points I'm still going to argue.

Mainly that Adventure isn't a core component of Smash. The core components of Smash are it's characters and mechanics because that's what makes up the main draw of Smash Bros.; being a Nintendo All-Star multiplayer fighting game. It isn't something Smash really needs per say.

Now that's not to say it wouldn't be nice to have and there are certainly more people who want it back than not as far as I know. And I do agree that an Adventure Mode should return. While the main draw of Smash is it's multiplayer, it's still important to include some single player content as well. Nowadays especially we see stuff like the story mode in games like MKX being praised and the lack of compelling single player content in SFV hurting it's sales.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U does lack in single player, which is why it feels less "meaty" in that regard, though the sheer amount of characters, stages, etc. made up for it to an extent. However, Smash Tour, Target Smash, etc. not being very enjoyable whereas past titles have had modes like Break the Targets, and of course an Adventure Mode, make certain areas of the game feel a bit lacking for those that enjoy single player in their multiplayer games.

A somewhat related example, though purely anecdotal is a friend of mine who generally dislikes Overwatch because it lacks single player. He enjoys how it plays, but doesn't want to just play against others all the time, which is why he prefers when they have PvE events.

Where I disagree completely though is on having the SSE ported over to the rumored Switch version. If we get a new Adventure mode, it should be something new built from the ground up. Porting over something everyone's already played, and a divisive mode at that, and trying to pass it off as a selling point doesn't seem like a good idea.

Moving on to the SSE in particular I think you made some good points, though I'd rather a new Adventure Mode not be a continuation to that. As someone who actually did enjoy SSE and played through it multiple times, I still don't think it's worth revisiting in a future game.

A full length story mode with cut scenes, and lots of platforming and enemies to beat up is all good and fine, but I and many others as you already pointed out, found the direction they took to be less than satisfactory. So long as they make the levels Nintendo themed and include numerous Nintendo enemies as they have in Smash Run, then I'm all for it.

Last edited:
That was a really good post there R RisanF or at the very least, a long one.

I've merge it with this thread though just so you dont have to copy and paste it to where it belongs.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
I thinking adding the ability to save item sets would be cool, maybe have pre-set ones by franchise.

Also the ability to turn off certain random characters, assist trophies, and pokemon similar to items and stages would be cool.

RisanF

Smash Rookie
Now that's not to say it wouldn't be nice to have and there are certainly more people who want it back than not as far as I know. And I do agree that an Adventure Mode should return. While the main draw of Smash is it's multiplayer, it's still important to include some single player content as well. Nowadays especially we see stuff like the story mode in games like MKX being praised and the lack of compelling single player content in SFV hurting it's sales.
It's also worth mentioning that the next-gen Star Wars: Battlefront by DICE has this issue, nixing the Instant Action bot battles featured in the Pandemic titles. I don't think this necessarily hurt sales, but it's hard getting excited about something that seems watered down in every way from its predecessors, and I ended up getting my Star Wars fix from Disney Infinity.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U does lack in single player, which is why it feels less "meaty" in that regard, though the sheer amount of characters, stages, etc. made up for it to an extent. However, Smash Tour, Target Smash, etc. not being very enjoyable whereas past titles have had modes like Break the Targets, and of course an Adventure Mode, make certain areas of the game feel a bit lacking for those that enjoy single player in their multiplayer games.
Smash Wii U feels cluttered to me. The menus themselves are a labyrinthine mess of odd-and-ends tucked away in sub-menu after sub-menu, and I don't think many of the featurs added much that was substantial. Even Classic mode was a bit off with its Intensity scale, and some of the stages themselves weren't as good as the 3DS version. Smash Wii U's biggest draws were 8-Player Smash, its HD graphics (which is vitall in a game where your fighters are oftentimes tiny specks on the screen), and its fantastic DLC content and 3rd party characters.

A somewhat related example, though purely anecdotal is a friend of mine who generally dislikes Overwatch because it lacks single player. He enjoys how it plays, but doesn't want to just play against others all the time, which is why he prefers when they have PvE events.
A true kindred spirit! XD I think maybe people like your friend and I don't always get heard because most online Smash talk revolves around competitive play (which is easier to talk about anyway). But the thing is, I just honestly get bored of Sm4sh more easily than the other games. Meanwhile, I have, like, 700 hours logged in on Subspace Emissary (though a lot of that is just messing with mods from KittyCorp).

Where I disagree completely though is on having the SSE ported over to the rumored Switch version. If we get a new Adventure mode, it should be something new built from the ground up. Porting over something everyone's already played, and a divisive mode at that, and trying to pass it off as a selling point doesn't seem like a good idea.

Moving on to the SSE in particular I think you made some good points, though I'd rather a new Adventure Mode not be a continuation to that. As someone who actually did enjoy SSE and played through it multiple times, I still don't think it's worth revisiting in a future game.

A full length story mode with cut scenes, and lots of platforming and enemies to beat up is all good and fine, but I and many others as you already pointed out, found the direction they took to be less than satisfactory. So long as they make the levels Nintendo themed and include numerous Nintendo enemies as they have in Smash Run, then I'm all for it.
Oh, don't me wrong! I would definitely prefer them to make Nintendo-themed Adventure Mode, especially if doing so would make the mode more appealing and less controversial to fans that are on the fence about it. It's just personally, I wouldn't mind if they cut a few corners if they wanted to still concentrate the bulk of their effort on arena-design. More effort is always better, though.

Thanks for the response, guys! Quick question: anywhere else online I could submit this essay? I tried DeviantArt, but it's hard getting attention for this kind of thing there.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Thanks for the response, guys! Quick question: anywhere else online I could submit this essay? I tried DeviantArt, but it's hard getting attention for this kind of thing there.
You could try hitting up SourceGaming. PushDustIn and a few other SG staff are users on here as well. I haven't really seen them pop into the threads very often though, more than likely busy running the SG website. Check their contact info, or try searching for their rules for fan content.

http://sourcegaming.info/

EDIT: Found it.

http://sourcegaming.info/2015/10/16/guidelines-guest-posting/

EDIT again: Once again :4greninja:'d by Zebei

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Honestly. I don't think break the gets or any other mini modes like these will ever interest me for long. If it wasn't for the challenges i would spend like 70% less time on those than i did.

All I actually want is just a proper Smash Run where you can finally actually see and interact with other players/ cpus online or single player.

Heck, I would like there to be plenty of Smash Run stages along with various rules. I think 5 stages would be a great number, all varying in sizes and themes some (and really all) should be playable with 8 players even online. Perhaps one could be based of one big franchise like Zelda, or have one stage have different sections off it being based of different series. Therre could be more genericy enviros like OG Smash run and there could be one specifically inspired by retro games ect. There's sooooo many ways they could make these stages. I think having more or all the items including ATs there would be fantastic.

Plenty of solid meaningful potential for Smash Run alone. Its a big dream I'd imagine BUT its certainly doable.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
You could try hitting up SourceGaming. PushDustIn and a few other SG staff are users on here as well. I haven't really seen them pop into the threads very often though, more than likely busy running the SG website. Check their contact info, or try searching for their rules for fan content.

http://sourcegaming.info/

EDIT: Found it.

EDIT again: Once again :4greninja:'d by Zebei
Source gaming are cool guys, but this is a slightly better link

PushDustIn PushDustIn (the owner) is a mod ion this site.

Whether they will accept your submission is another matter
Yup! I'm still here. Best way to contact me is to tag me in a thread (like what A Distant Demon A Distant Demon did), send a PM here on SmashBoards, on Twitter or in the SG Discord. I check SmashBoards at least twice a day for tags and PMs, so feel free to message/tag me anytime. It's my job to respond to questions :p.

R RisanF please look over the guest posting guidelines, and send me a message if you have any questions/ when you are ready to submit! I'll be happy to help you.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Tag Team Mode, where you can switch characters between Stocks.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Battle Royale mode. Have a bunch of characters ready for battle on queue, but only 4 characters come out at a time. The goal is to take the most stocks. Fighters who die go to the back of the line, rinse repeat for ad many sticks as you have it on for.

Gimmicky? Yes, but it seems like it could be fun.

I'd also like a race to the finish mode. Not Smash run, no enemies, just a long course that gets more challenging as you go. Could be great for improving your movement, and you know, fun.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Should just be called Switch mode.
Good one! I just wanna beat up people with DK as hard as I can before I bring total destruction with Diddy. I needed this in my life ever since Brawl.

TipO'TheMorning

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3308-5047-5155
Double Dash mode, where instead of playing just one of your character, you play two of them (like that one Ice Climbers glitch). So many cool combos could be pulled off when two of your character is in the battle.

And if you play Ice Climbers (assuming they're added)? ... Well, let's just say you're gonna have a quartet of these guys. And that would be amazing.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Double Dash mode, where instead of playing just one of your character, you play two of them (like that one Ice Climbers glitch). So many cool combos could be pulled off when two of your character is in the battle.

And if you play Ice Climbers (assuming they're added)? ... Well, let's just say you're gonna have a quartet of these guys. And that would be amazing.
This is already terrible for balance. Just imagine Sheik and Mewtwo pairing up and charging and unleashing their Neutral B projectiles at once. :laugh:

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration
An mode where you can pick more then one fighter for a battle, like say if I pick Sonic then Ii get KO'd with him I would have a back fighter to use like Samus, this could also be a great idea to use in Classic mode.

RisanF

Smash Rookie
Yup! I'm still here. Best way to contact me is to tag me in a thread (like what A Distant Demon A Distant Demon did), send a PM here on SmashBoards, on Twitter or in the SG Discord. I check SmashBoards at least twice a day for tags and PMs, so feel free to message/tag me anytime. It's my job to respond to questions :p.

R RisanF please look over the guest posting guidelines, and send me a message if you have any questions/ when you are ready to submit! I'll be happy to help you.
Interesting! I've posted my stuff on forums before, but I never tried to submit an OP-ED to a site. Thanks for the advice and contact info, everyone.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I would like to see...
I am a strong proponent of putting Break the Targets with custom stages and even Board the Platforms...then there's Mac. I can see his being running around the Boxing Ring akin to G&W's from Melee.

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
I want a True All Star mode.

If you beat All Star at normal or higher in one life in a certain amount of time or less, you can enter the True All Star mode. You fight against Giga Bowser, Giga Mac, Wario-Man, etc..

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
World Swap Mode

Kirby, Mario, Link, Fox, DK and Pikachu must traverse each other worlds. Each time they go into another world/kingdom/dimension/region/zone they get the specials of that area's hero. Mario gains Link's specials in Hyrule. Gains Pikachu's specials in Pokemon world, etc.

The boss at the end of traversing through space and time is Waluigi.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Ohh, man! This one has been on my mind for a while: a Raid Boss-type game mode!

So this game mode, which I'll call "Raid Smash", is a simple one: up to 8 players who play as the normal characters form a 'raid party' and go up against a boss-type character controlled by either an A.I. or a 9th player. The goal of the party is to defeat the boss before it kills them. The playable bosses include ones that have appeared before in Smash like Master Hand, Ridley, Metal Face and Yellow Devil, while there are new ones like Dr. Eggman, Necrozma, M. Bison and Grima. All bosses have a health bar at the top, similar to the ones in the Subspace Emissary.

Each boss has a sort of unique 'double-edged sword' mechanic to them that can benefit either the boss or the 'raid party'. Let's say, for example, that there are eight players playing as Charizard, Villager, Ryu, Mario, Ike, Ganondorf, Pac-Man and Donkey Kong going up against Necrozma. The players have taken some serious damage from the Prism Pokemon's Prismatic Laser. Suddenly, Solgaleo drops in and begins to charge Cosmic Power to support the players with a huge buff. Now this takes a while for the Sunne Pokemon to charge, so players have to defend it from Necrozma, or the boss absorbs Solgaleo and turns into Dusk Mane Necrozma, giving it access to the super-powerful Sunsteel Strike. The same thing can happen with Lunala, only with that, Necrozma turns into Dawn Wings Necrozma and gains Moongeist Beam.

In this game mode, the stages are changed to a special 'Battleground' mode to accommodate the raid party and the boss. What differs Battleground stages from the normal and Omega stages is that it is much wider than the Omega stages and different obstacles such as platforms, springs and cannons can spawn at a random time.

Items in this game mode are retrofitted to not harm other raid party members, and have been souped up to harm the boss. The damage, even if they're raised on these items, is still not enough to actually kill with just one use. For example, you can't take out Metal Face with a full clip of the Steel Diver. There are however, much rarer Raid Items, which can give noticeable effects to a certain party member. These can include Mega Mushrooms, Reset Bombs, Monado Replicas and Omega Cannons.

How does that sound? If there are any ideas or adjustments for this game mode, please let me know!

Last edited:
Top Bottom