• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What kind of gimmick would you give your most wanted?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Just as the title says. Personally, I like that the recent characters have their own kind of gimmick pertaining to their home game (Arsene, :ulthero:'s MP Gauge, etc.). What kind of gimmicks of this nature would you give your most wanted character, in this case? I'm gonna start with...

Crash Bandicoot

Aku Aku: If Crash takes too many hits simultaneously, Aku Aku appears and reduces the damage taken to .7x, appearing for a while before going away.

Crate Bounce (part of his :GCU::GCB:): One of these crates will appear during the selection;

>Arrow Crate (which is purely metal), a Crate that takes Crash a fair distance up despite briefly preventing horizontal movement.
>Bounce Crate, which has five uses before it breaks and gradually increases height with each use (you can press the jump button to jump higher, but it uses up two uses).
>TNT Crate, which explodes 3 seconds after being summoned. Crash can either use it as a platform before it explodes-whether he jumps away from it time or takes the hit to get a tremendous boost in height (20%, medium knockback)-or let it drop by pressing a dodge button. It can be picked by other fighters before it explodes.

Sometimes a Nitro Crate appears and explodes the second it makes contact with something (35%, far knockback), namely if Crash presses most buttons. However, he can still air dodge to use it as a trap for unwary opponents.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Honestly not a big fan of the big gimmicks and how they seem to distort people's opinions of what makes a fighter unique.

That said, Rex would very likely have some sort of blade switching mechanic. The extent to which it would alter his moveset, I don't know honestly. I don't think it would switch it up entirely, but I could see it having give and take between the two. In my thinking which seems unlikely, it would completely alter his smash attacks as they would be done by his blade.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Hornet with Silk mechanic, would work similar to MP but only regenerates by hitting enemies

Lenidem

Smash Lord
The Song of Time for Young Link. If he's about to loose, he can play this tune and the match starts again from the beginning. (Yes, it's a joke.)

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I like it when the moveset in general is enough to set a character apart from other people. I'll try to add gimmicks to them anyways. Though my most wanted are rather unlikely and I wouldn't be surprised if there's some character I want more that I just can't think of. Besides, I already got my most wanted in (Meta Knight), and Lucario was a nice surprise.

Spoiler cause I typed quite a bit.
Shadow the Hedgehog (him being an assist trophy makes him unlikely now though. Also he'd likely be an echo anyways) - All about chaos control. I haven't played every sonic game so I'm sure there's even more interesting stuff that could be done with it that I'm unaware of.

First of all I'd be a bit disappointed if his recovery wasn't a teleport because of chaos control, and be shocked if he didn't have chaos spear as one of his specials. You'd probably be able to hold the chaos spear as well. If Chaos Snap (teleporting next to an enemy which he does a lot of) gets added in as a separate special as well, that could be a VERY huge gimmick as well and there isn't really anyone like that in the game and the only thing that comes close right now is greninja's and lucario's counters. Teleporting next to an enemy is usually something seen as a gimmick of one character in 1v1 fighters (or DBZ/Naruto games). Perhaps if there's some sort of input you could decide to go behind or in front of an enemy, go to a close enemy or far enemy, or to your ally in teams or to the enemy. Of course there has to be some sort of limit because we can't have him teleporting from the blast zone to the enemy (unless he pulls a mewtwo and is super light because "he's always floating with Chaos control and uses his shoes to fly a lot"). Maybe it only works a certain distance, or maybe it gets laggier the farther away from the opponent you are. Though I haven't played all Sonic games so there are some things I probably don't know. Like I just glanced at a video showing off powers that Shadow has. Apparently in Sonic Battle there's a move where he sends out a projectile, but when it returns it's bigger and follows where shadow goes which seems very interesting because off the top of my head only Luma sorta does that, and Link's boomerangs (but they give up chasing Link after a while)

I would imagine Shadow having a meter for his chaos control since there's a meter for it in shadow the hedgehog and '06 (like I said, I haven't played all sonic games there might be better games to reference). When meter is maxed, it slowly starts to fade away as he has more access to chaos control like powers. Also he usually is invincible but that'd be a bit too much to give to him, so letting him having a rather tanky mode (Whether it's reduced damage, or tough guy armor, or both or something new I don't care). Going from bait+punish style to being super aggressive once you get chaos control going. So I guess it's kinda like Joker + Arsene like that, but instead of just having insanely strong and fast attacks that let you nuke the opponent like Joker canwith Arsene, it just allows Shadow more options and durability...... Also guns are rather controversial, but if they were in the game and were given an ammo limit, they'd temporarily not use up ammo since that's what happens in the games. (personally E-102 and sonic were my 2 favorite gameplay styles in Sonic Adventure, sooo Shadow the Hedgehog just combining those two gameplay styles where you run past everything blowing up twice the amount of enemies as you zoom past just feels awesome). Also might be able to end the chaos control early with Chaos Blast. Whether it's a static amount of damage, or if it's damage based on the remaining chaos meter like Hero's Magic blast, I don't really care. Though they might just make Shadow's final Smash Chaos blast if they don't make him Super Shadow (or him removing his rings)

But hey, I'll just be super happy if Shadow is just playable at all and is just an echo, and playing as the Dark Sonic color just isn't the same, especially since it just makes me think of Sonic X instead of Shadow (and I've only seen a few clips of Sonic X). Though if Shadow is just a power version of sonic it'll kinda hurt me a little because in all the games I've seen where shadow is different, Shadow has a much heavier emphasis on doing combo attacks since he's like the only character that ever does combos in a sonic game. Though Sonic in Smash already has some nice combos, so perhaps Shadow does less damage but has an easier time hitting them or stuff leads into each other better?

Ralsei - Deltarune only has one chapter released, but gosh darn I love this nice guy healer self-proclaimed "prince of darkness". Feels kinda like lookin' in a mirror for me. So I'd definitely main him if he got in. Anyways since only one chapter of Deltarune is out, we probably don't know a whole lot of stuff about Ralsei right now and I would assume he gets more attacks later on in the game. Problem with adding a character based around healing is that you have to limit the healing in some way, so you don't get matches where someone is just running away spamming heal whenever they get hurt.

Perhaps Ralsei would get rewarded with TP for blocking/parrying attacks, or making opponents just barely whiff their attacks just like in Deltarune. Also probably getting a small amount of TP for fighting as well, but that's a little less interesting since a few other characters in the roster get stuff from dealing damage too. Of course if Ralsei is just running away just blocking all the time, the opponent should be able to adapt that Ralsei is being too pacifistic and just grab him or break his shield.

So far in Deltarune, Ralsei only has 2 kinds of spells he can do with TP (Tension Points). Though Sakurai has played with Toby so Toby could tell him what other spells Ralsei will have or just let Sakurai do whatever so we'd probably get some spell we don't know of yet. Though we'd get a menu like Hero (except this isn't random since there's not so many spells) First spell is Pacify which puts enemies to sleep if they are tired so I'd imagine that being Ralsei's big gimmick, and the easier it is to land and stronger it is, the weaker Ralsei would have to be in other ways. Or perhaps Pacify would be the one of the few kill confirms he can get at higher %s. Then you got a heal that lets you select you or an ally if you're in doubles. Gonna say that the ways to get TP are either drastically reduced or not available with your ally since that might promote campy tactics where you run away to farm heals.

As for the rest of Ralsei, I'd imagine his scarf attacks being disjointed and that his final smash would be the other two team members helping out. I'd imagine he's afraid of people getting too close to overwhelm him as well so he'd probably not have the fastest attacks to make up for the disjointed range of the scarf and his spells.

Though I will admit what will probably end up with getting Kris if we were to get someone from Deltarune. Still have the TP mechanic and have the team member appear just when you use a spell. This also gives Susie and Kris more love. Also Kris is the only one who can ACT which is a big thing in Undertale + Deltarune. It could either be random between a few different things, or be more specific to some characters (or at least groups of characters).

But yeah, that's just a quick glance at what I'd think they'd do. I don't expect them in the game though, but you can bet I'll have to split my time up more so I can main them as well if they do get in though.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Uh… Bombs. Duh. I envision Bomberman as an "aggressive tactical" character who seeks to control the stage by constantly setting and repositioning bombs.

Xquester

Smash Rookie
I would have Billy (Bimmy) and Jimmy Lee from Double Dragon and the gimmick would be that they can make each other character from the roster drop a unique weapon or item based on that character, kind of like how enemies in Double Dragon drop their weapons. We would basically get two new characters and over 70 new items.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I once saw in the Bandana Dee thread an idea for a mechanic similar to Shulk's Monado Arts, where BWD would switch between elemental abilities from Star Allies that alter his attacks. None of the elements were elaborated on, though, so I made my own:
  • Fire: Attacks cause the victim to have a lingering fire effect and take more damage; BWD slowly takes damage over time
  • Water: Attacks have less endlag but more startup
  • Bluster (Air): Attacks have less startup but more endlag
  • Ice: Linking several attacks in short amounts of time will freeze an opponent (like Ice Climbers), but are slightly slower
  • Plasma: Linking several attacks in short amounts of time will deal more damage with each attack, up to 1.75x damage, but they also do small damage to BWD (like Pichu)
Edit: I just saw another idea like this in this current thread after scrolling up. I take no credit for this

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
For multiple characters because they're all on my mind.
Tails
Tails has good aerials and specials that complement close combat, but lacks reliable KO moves. His Down-B builds the Tornado Walker. In the Tornado, Tails gains better finishing moves, can hover by holding jump, and becomes a heavyweight. The downside is being in the Tornado disables grabbing, ducking, dashing, double-jump, and ledgegrabs.
He can exit it by using Up-B to fly out. He's also automatically launched out of if shield-broken. The Tornado sits on the stage and can be reentered at any time. It can also be destroyed by other players, and rebuilding it takes a lot of time.
Timmy and Tommy
Timmy and Tommy are an Ice Climbers style duo sharing many of Villager and Isabelle's attacks. Down-B performs the "Sell Item," action, in which Timmy gives the held projectile to Tommy in exchange for Bells. Timmy can throw the Bells with Side-B. Pocketing stronger attacks gives you more bells. More bells means more power, but the added weight will impact how far it's tossed.
You can strategically pressure your opponent into a position where they are vulnerable to either Tommy's held item, or Timmy's bells. If Tommy gets KO'd, you're options are severely cut down.
Susie (Deltarune)
Susie has a TP meter (Tension Points.) TP is used to enhance her Neutral Special; by default it's Rude Buster, a decent projectile attack. With full TP, it becomes the much stronger Red Buster. She gains a little TP by spot-dodging or rolling through attacks, and a huge chunk of TP from successfully parrying. Susie is also surrounded by an extra hitbox that helps her gain TP. Whenever an opponent throws out a physical attack that doesn't damage her but reaches that hitbox, she gains a little TP. You can amass a lot of TP when multi-hit attacks just barely graze her.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Link custom moves what use I teams from the Zelda game he's a rep of. For example Smash 4 link would have a ball and chain for his down b while boomerang and spinner for side b

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
It's funny since I don't have a most wanted anymore, it was Banjo.
I had to think hard about what is my most next wanted newcomer, and it's probably some niche stuff that'll never be in.

I imagined a moveset for Alexandra Roivas from Eternal Darkness on this site, and I feel like I should be thankful to have her as just a spirit lol.

https://smashboards.com/threads/this-cant-be-happening-alexandra-roivas-for-ssb4.334975/

This one, it was pretty gimmicky

Last edited:

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
Timmy and Tommy
Timmy and Tommy are an Ice Climbers style duo sharing many of Villager and Isabelle's attacks. Down-B performs the "Sell Item," action, in which Timmy gives the held projectile to Tommy in exchange for Bells. Timmy can throw the Bells with Side-B. Pocketing stronger attacks gives you more bells. More bells means more power, but the added weight will impact how far it's tossed.
You can strategically pressure your opponent into a position where they are vulnerable to either Tommy's held item, or Timmy's bells. If Tommy gets KO'd, you're options are severely cut down.
Dude that's a really cool mechanic. Never thought I'd support Timmy and Tommy but now I might have to.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
For Dixie Kong 2-4 of her special attacks involve her riding/carried by an animal buddy for attacks (up special with Squawks, side special with Rambi, etc) If ridden long enough, the buddy then turns into a powerful barrel for Dixie to then pick up and throw as a weapon ala the "No Animal" signs from DKC 2/3. The obvious choice is the TNT variation but there's options obviously.

If executed well enough I think there's balance as you have to stay on the buddy long enough (ie don't get hit too many times or change animals) and there's potential for other fighters to grab the barrel if you're not careful. Its nothing groundbreaking but it would make her unique in comparison to virtually everyone else.

Chosen Undead: A Stamina Gauge above the HUD. Each attack (even quick ones) use up Stamina. It refills automatically after each move, but the amount depends on the move itself.
So do you think there would be special properties to moves so this wouldn't just be a detriment? If not I could see this being paired with estus so they are somewhat undertuned, but with the ability to heal. Or maybe a special shield that lets them do what Link does with projectiles, but without having to stand still. Or they could have a special riposte attack out of parry that acts like Ridley's down-B. Or a bunch of consumables like estus could all mapped to the same move (maybe down-B) and swapped between.

Before now I never realized how many options Chosen Undead could actually have.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
2B - True Weapon Switching
Sakura - Using a mecha, they could start in a mech and if they take enough damage they exit or something like that
Dante - Fighting Style Switching
Neku - He could bring some of the wackier pins and they could have cooldown and then he could have partners
Saber - Invisible Sword becomes more visible after taking damage
Estelle - A resource management system that I went in depth with Here
Edea - A brave/default system and class switching
Euden - Shapeshifting
Ryza - Crafting
Tracer - An Ultimate Meter, Her down-b has to charge first and cannot be used until the meter hit's 100 then she has a super powerful ability
Gran - Summoning
Amaterasu - Drawing

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Geno

While timed hits is the obvious thing for him, I think you could also build on top of that via a Flower Bonus system where if a series of special attacks are correctly done, then he gets a Flower Bonus of raised offense/defense, or a slight HP heal. In that way he's still keeping up the spirit of the Geno Boost's effects, even if that actual move in game would probably be and Up-B that serves as his third jump.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
At the very least I'd imagine Reimu to have a flight mechanic of sorts, be it like Peach's float or a special. She'd also need Focusing, where her hitbox shrinks down but she takes extra damage if she's actually hit. I'd make that her shield, but that might be a detriment to be unable to block. She'd also have a Power mechanic that generates Options, which power up her attacks.

Klonoa would be able to grab in the air, lift heavy objects without slowing down, and moving while having grabbed an opponent. To make up for his grapple mastery, his normals would be too weak, forcing him to use his throws.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Adeleine can have several different gimmicks, depending on how you develop a moveset for this character.

My favorite gimmick would be that instead of performing smash attacks, she would summon those enemy drawings.
When they jump out of the canvas there's an area that they will always hit, so you can use that like a regular attack hitbox; though, if they don't hit anything, they will stay on the stage for a while before exploding into paint (if you summon more than one minion per type, the older one would explode regardless).

Some of them may have a very simple AI and can change behavior depending on the surrounding situation (for example, up smash could summon a "Propeller" that would chase the opponent if it's within the range).

This will let the player plan a strategy and use the smash attacks as a trap to control the space on the stage. The trade off would be that they are slower to perform compared to most other characters' smash attacks, and maybe weaker too (aside of that first moment when they jump out from the canvas).

If one enemy for each move is too few, maybe you can extend the limit to 3 enemies per move and let her summon different creatures if one of the same type is already on the stage (for example, if you already performed an up smash and Propeller is already floating in the air, the next up smash would summon a Foley, that would act similar to Propeller with additionally the ability to drop and explode after falling). You can either make them random or make the stronger versions of the enemies require the weaker version to already be on the stage before being summoned (In order to summon Foley, a Propeller must be on the stage already), so that you are forced to summon it before the other one automatically disappears.

Another gimmick would be the ability to summon and control some boss drawings (that's her signature move by the way). Imagine Wario's bike, but instead of just ramming at enemies, it has a small moveset made of 2 or 3 simple moves only. Adeleine can either ride the boss or stand behind the easel while controlling it at distance (I've not decided yet, they both are valid options with their pros and cons). The boss can be destroyed and if someone manages to, Adeleine would be stunned in place for a while, defenseless. Adeleine can also destroy the boss at will by pressing B again (or shield) after summoning it (the boss' moves are activated with A + directions, B and shield cancel the boss), so using bosses would put her at risk, you should be careful and cancel it before getting stunned. The explosion of canceling the boss would count as an attack too; it wouldn't count as one if the opponent destroys it.

There should be at least 3 summonable bosses, including the iconic Ice Dragon and Kracko... the selection system for the boss can vary depending on how you make the moveset (it can either be random, in order like in Star Allies, or something like Shulk's Monado Arts in Ultimate where you see all the options at once and select the wanted one by tilting in the correct direction).

Perkilator

Smash Legend
So do you think there would be special properties to moves so this wouldn't just be a detriment? If not I could see this being paired with estus so they are somewhat undertuned, but with the ability to heal. Or maybe a special shield that lets them do what Link does with projectiles, but without having to stand still. Or they could have a special riposte attack out of parry that acts like Ridley's down-B. Or a bunch of consumables like estus could all mapped to the same move (maybe down-B) and swapped between.

Before now I never realized how many options Chosen Undead could actually have.
Oh, uh…yeah, some of that. I left it at Stamina because I didn’t wanna leave a potential moveset hanging. Here’s my full moveset right here: https://www.deviantart.com/herotrainer7/art/Smash-Movesets-Chosen-Undead-850962047

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Muddy Mole doesn't need a gimmick, he just needs to be a solid fighter. The only "gimmick" I can see fitting him is either A. digging through the ground (which would be way too OP as a recovery move), or B. being a heavyweight the size of a lightweight (which isn't really a gimmick)

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Shin Megami Tensei Protagonist: Demon Summoning
Aside from summoning some popular demons (Jack Frost/Pixie) for their normal attacks, the character's down special would give them access to a demon summoning menu (think Hero's Down-B) that holds four demons. The demon selection will have minor rng and the skills vary slightly, but it will generally be set up that the topmost demon uses a short-range melee attack, the second demon launches an elemental projectile, the third demon buffs the player, and the bottom demon launches a skill that debuffs the enemy on hit.

Monster Hunter: Weapon Switching
Monster Hunter has access to 14 weapons to choose from, most of them would be used during his normal and smash attacks, but he has the ability to switch between one of three weapons to determine his specials, those being the greatsword, longsword, and hammer. His down special allows him to swap between the three weapons and his other specials change depending on which weapon he is currently using. For example:

Longsword:
B - Counter
-> B - Spirit Slash
^ B - Helmbreaker

Greatsword:
B - True Combo Slash
-> B - Shove
^ - Charged Rising Slash

Hammer:
B - Charge/Overhead Swing
-> B - Big Bang Combo
^ B - Midair Spinning Bludgeon

Oh, uh…yeah, some of that. I left it at Stamina because I didn’t wanna leave a potential moveset hanging. Here’s my full moveset right here: https://www.deviantart.com/herotrainer7/art/Smash-Movesets-Chosen-Undead-850962047
Oh, sorry. I got a bit carried away there. My original question was meant to be about how the stamina would benefit them, since every other character can do stuff like dash, block and attack without any cost, or if it is just meant to be a hinderance because their abilities would be too strong otherwise.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Oh, sorry. I got a bit carried away there. My original question was meant to be about how the stamina would benefit them, since every other character can do stuff like dash, block and attack without any cost, or if it is just meant to be a hinderance because their abilities would be too strong otherwise.
You’d have to play wisely to keep the upper hand. Luckily, they have a healthy amount of Stamina that recharges immediately after attacking.

wizfoot

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-7677-1915-7484
Honestly, I really like the way Phoenix was made in UMVC3. The evidence-collecting gimmick and Trial/Turnabout mode were a lot of fun.

I don't know what I'd like for Amaterasu. Maybe something related to the celestial brush, but that would be hard to implement.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Pyramid Head: Judgements: Three stackable debuffs that Pyramid Head can inflict with his Specials, divided into Binding, Grief and Torment. Binding would affect the opponent's attack power (Such as damage and knockback), Grief affects the opponent's defense (Such as shields and knockback resistance), and Torment affects the opponent's mobility (Such as roll distance, walking, jumping, etc.). This is not based on any Silent Hill mechanics but rather based on his role in Silent Hill 2: a tormentor, a being that continuously haunts and antagonizes, only killing should push come to shove.

Last edited:

UltimateShulk

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 1732 1109 1619
PLEASE keep in mind that I already know that Shulk exists in Smash, but I knew that Smash came before Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition, so his DE model was not used in Ultimate. But a Shulk main like me can dream about DE Shulk becoming a character, right?

Shulk (XC: Definitive Edition)
:

Weapon upgrade is a must, as he now has the Monado 2 instead of the Monado 1.

Up Special: Air Slash - Launch distance can increase depending on the number of Air Slashes done to the opponent.
Left/Right Special: Back Slash - Does damage from behind, but if the opponent is asleep or dazed, it causes 1.5x more damage.
Down Special: Shaker Edge - Causes the opponent to be dazed and the opponent becomes vulnerable to being launched by any subsequent attacks.

Neutral Special: Vision - Detects the opponent's next attack against Shulk. When activated, a short in-game cutscene shows both you (if you are Shulk) and your opponent, then it shows how the opponent will attack you. This will allow you to attack the opponent in a short time window as there will be a vision tag. If you hit the opponent, you will hear a glass break sound effect, indicating you changed the future and broke through the vision tag.

Up Smash: Slices in 360 degrees if airborne, slices upwards on the ground.
Left/Right Smash: Slices left or right, launch power may increase if opponent has a high damage percentage.
Down Smash: Dive bombs at the opponent if airborne, slices down or all around opponents nearby.

Final Smash: True Monado - Shulk's Monado becomes the True Monado, and as he gathers his courage to swing, his friends join in as they help Shulk deal more damage. If the Monado hits any opponents nearby, they will fly off screen should their damage be high enough.

Up Taunt: "Fear the power of the Monado!"
Left/Right Taunt: "I can see the future!"
Down Taunt: "I won't let you ruin our destiny!"

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Something interesting I've noticed about Adol is that he has a lot of gimmicks he could potentially bring, due to how much Ys has changed over the years. To wit:
Bump System - In Ys I, II, and IV, Adol dealt damage by ramming into opponents from any direction that wasn't the front. This could manifest in an underpowered version of the Impact Run, though it may not be the best mechanic in a game like Smash. Personally, I'd reference it by giving an important Spirit Impact Run, preferably Dogi.

Mobile Jab - In Ys III, V, VI and Origins, as well as III's remake, Oath in Felghana, the gameplay shifts to a more Zelda-like style. This could be represented with a mobile jab, in the vein of Mega Man, Min Min, and Steve. I also saw a suggestion that he could also have a charge attack, where he moves by dodging during the charge, though I'll have to double-check.

Three Weapons - In VI, Origins, and to a lesser extent, Oath in Felghana, the gameplay also integrates three different weapons for Adol to have. One attack deals slashing damage, another deals striking, and a third deals piercing. This could give Adol a stance swap system, like with Pokemon Trainer and Min Min. Adol's would probably lay somewhere between the two, leaning more toward Min Min.

Flash Guard and Flash Move - In Ys SEVEN, VIII, and IX, as well as the remake of IV, Memories of Celceta, Adol and his allies can pull off advanced defensive moves. Guarding at the last moment triggers a Flash Guard, negating all damage and boosting his attack power, while dodging at the last moment triggers a Flash Move, slowing down time. In Smash these could be simplified to activate during Perfect Shields and similarly-timed dodges, boosting damage and speed, respectively.

Tagging YsDisciple YsDisciple to double-check, seeing as he seems to be one of the resident Ys experts around here.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Something interesting I've noticed about Adol is that he has a lot of gimmicks he could potentially bring, due to how much Ys has changed over the years. To wit:
Bump System - In Ys I, II, and IV, Adol dealt damage by ramming into opponents from any direction that wasn't the front. This could manifest in an underpowered version of the Impact Run, though it may not be the best mechanic in a game like Smash. Personally, I'd reference it by giving an important Spirit Impact Run, preferably Dogi.

Mobile Jab - In Ys III, V, VI and Origins, as well as III's remake, Oath in Felghana, the gameplay shifts to a more Zelda-like style. This could be represented with a mobile jab, in the vein of Mega Man, Min Min, and Steve. I also saw a suggestion that he could also have a charge attack, where he moves by dodging during the charge, though I'll have to double-check.

Three Weapons - In VI, Origins, and to a lesser extent, Oath in Felghana, the gameplay also integrates three different weapons for Adol to have. One attack deals slashing damage, another deals striking, and a third deals piercing. This could give Adol a stance swap system, like with Pokemon Trainer and Min Min. Adol's would probably lay somewhere between the two, leaning more toward Min Min.

Flash Guard and Flash Move - In Ys SEVEN, VIII, and IX, as well as the remake of IV, Memories of Celceta, Adol and his allies can pull off advanced defensive moves. Guarding at the last moment triggers a Flash Guard, negating all damage and boosting his attack power, while dodging at the last moment triggers a Flash Move, slowing down time. In Smash these could be simplified to activate during Perfect Shields and similarly-timed dodges, boosting damage and speed, respectively.

Tagging YsDisciple YsDisciple to double-check, seeing as he seems to be one of the resident Ys experts around here.
I'd have to say that out of the various playstyles Adol has gone through within the entirety of Ys, the ones that would translate best to a potential Smash moveset would have to be Ys Seven's (as well as VIII, Celceta, and IX) skill/flash system. Although the Oath in Felghana and Napishtim playstyles do incorporate the use of certain elemental artifacts/weapons, the skill system just has much more variety. Many of the skills Adol learns between Celceta, Seven, and VIII can fit almost exactly "as-is" within a Smash moveset. The Flash Guard and Move would serve as the ideal gimmick since in the games with the skill playstyle they are KEY into progressing through some tough fights (also Flash Guards just look awesome and feel incredibly rewarding).

The Flash Guard (FG) could act like a buffed perfect shield in which upon successfully "parrying" an attack, Adol either flashes a light yellow (or gains an aura) indicating that he's activated FG and his attacks will deal slightly more damage than normal for a short period of time (kinda like Hero's critical attacks, but without the RNG). As for Flash Move, this would work as mentioned by SharkLord SharkLord as a buffed dodge (spot dodge, aerial dodges, and roll dodges). In order for the effect to trigger Adol would have to dodge at the exact moment he were about to be hit by an opponents attack. At that time, again either Adol begins to flash a light blue (or gains an aura) indicating that his speed (for movement, jumping, descent, as well as attack) as increased for a short period of time. It would be like Shulk's Speed Mondado Art, except without other stats being decreased.

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
You know Rivals of Aether's Abyss Rune system? Something similar is what I want for Dwight Fairfield.

Dwight can pick up to 4 of these perks that significantly change his playstyle.
Balanced Landing: Every 40 seconds Dwight falls from a great height (idk, 5 Minecraft blocks?) he gains a 3 second burst of speed and his landing lag in general is reduced (I don't know numbers, but 50%?)
Resilience: When on 100% or half your HP (assuming it's stamina battle) you get a big boost in strength/a big boost in speed/a slight boost in both strength and speed.
No Mither: You start off with 100% or half your HP in stamina mode, but you are harder to launch (like in game No Mither, this is basically a joke perk)
Hope: When in the last minute of time battle, you gain a constant speed boost that lasts for the rest of the match.
Diversion: When you use your forward tilt or neutral taunt (I don't know which would be the Point gesture from the game, I just know it's coming in if he got in), a pebble flies out dealing damage. Recharges each 15 seconds.
Prove Thyself (technically usable outside of team battle, but it actually has no effect so don't bother): When within a few meters (I don't know, 2 Minecraft blocks?) both you and your teammate(s) get stronger. Lasts until y'all fall out of range.
Leader (like Prove Thyself, useless outside of team battle): Your teammates get stronger (more strong than the prove thyself buff) when within a few meters of you (2.5 Minecraft blocks?). Leader is for your team and they get stronger, while Prove Thyself is slightly less strong but you also get a buff.
Urban Evasion: Faster Crouch speed.

Top Bottom