• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What kind of gamer are you?

_ToAsT_

Smash Apprentice
So yeah... what kind of gamer are you? By this I mean do you play a looott of games and play them all casually-decent or do you pick up a few games and focus most or all of your attention to it?

For me, I play fewer games, set a goal of how good I want to be at it, meet that goal, and move on to another game. Sometimes the goal can take years (like Age of Empires 3 did) but once I'm where I comfortably want to be, I change over to something else. I did this for DDR, AoE, and a few others and currently on Smash. Although, Smash has a great community and I don't see myself putting it down for a very long time lol.

I like video games too much to devote a substantial amount of time to just a small handful of them.

Though I like fighting games a lot, I don't think I'll ever put in the time it takes to be able to play one at any meaningful level. There are games that I consider all-time favorites that I've only ever completed once.

Terry-Anny

Smash Rookie
I play unbelievable amounts of animal crossing, and the only other time I play games to completion is for my youtube channel. Not enough time to play all the games I want to!

the.tok

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2767-0503-3415
I like video games too much to devote a substantial amount of time to just a small handful of them.

Though I like fighting games a lot, I don't think I'll ever put in the time it takes to be able to play one at any meaningful level. There are games that I consider all-time favorites that I've only ever completed once.
A little bit the same here. I play a lot of different games though smash, nintendo games and street fighter take more of my time.

I also do play a lot of other non video games, like magic the gathering, and quite a lot of Bloodbowl too.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I'm a completionist. Most games I need to get 100% or I'm not satisfied.

Of course, I mostly play short games like platformers and most games Nintendo throws out, so it's not like I'm clocking hundreds of hours on RPGs or anything.

Frisk.

Child of Mercy
I used to play lot's and lot's of games when I was younger whereas nowadays I generally play them every now and then. I'm unsure whether it's just the fact that there haven't been many games coming out that interest me or whether I'm just not as hugely into games as I used to be.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I used to by lot's and lot's of games when I was younger but nowadays I generally play them every now and then. I'm unsure whether it's just the fact that there haven't been many games coming out that interest me or whether I'm just not as hugely into games as I used to be.
I think this is the same case as me. The only game I've been playing a lot is Smash though.

_ToAsT_

Smash Apprentice
I used to play lot's and lot's of games when I was younger whereas nowadays I generally play them every now and then. I'm unsure whether it's just the fact that there haven't been many games coming out that interest me or whether I'm just not as hugely into games as I used to be.
Same here lol. I've fallen out of being in touch with the newest games and play the games I grew up with, and now mainly Smash. Some newer games are pretty cool but I'd go crazy over seeing something like Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 in an arcade or someone playing Zelda Ocarina of Time before I would over someone playing the newest 'hottest' games out.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm the same way. For me, it's has more to do with the fact that I don't have the same amount of free time that I used to and that I've been playing games enough to know what kind of games appeal to me and which ones will probably be a waste of time, making me much more picky than I used to be.

SurrealBrain

Smash Cadet
I know there hasn't been as much coming out that appeal to me. I don't know if it's just me, or if there is literally not as much.

It has been a good time for me to catch up with what I missed out on past generations, though. Otherwise, not much.

Sünta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sünta_Foot
3DS FC
2234-7187-3957
I play games that I've never played before very slowly and thoroughly then if I like it, I go intense looking for ways to break it with glitches. Once I start finding things I can do, I can never play it the same again. RIP Dk64, It was nice knowing your non broken form *sniff*

Red and Blue Rocks

Smash Rookie
NNID
protostrike
Just joined. I enjoy video games for challenge or exploration mostly. I usually don't get games when they first come out 'cause I'm cheap. Heheh.

I've witnessed some people get technical over what defines 'gamer.' Even if this wasn't the case I'm not one to apply a label to myself. I play what I enjoy. Try to share a game with the fam every so often, and enjoy smash as a way of relieving tension(or building it unfortunately, I'm a glutton for punishment with those challenges.) I can use games to be artistic, and generally think that's what drives me.

Lichi

This is my war snarl
I play games to be good at them. There is no casual playing for me. In multiplayer titles I want to increase my skills and climb the ladder, in single player games I want to discover secrets and bonus content. I like to go for more difficult routes instead of taking the easy one. Often, I willl push myself to try high risk high reward strategies and I will likely read into guides and watch pro streams of games I enjoy.

I only deviate from that behaviour when I'm playing with friends on a couch. If we crank up Mario Kart or Smash with casual players, I will goof around and try to style for funsies.

AZ_Spellbound

Smash Journeyman
The games i take serious are currently Sm4sh and MKX. i also enjoy other fighting games on the side like Skullgirls and Guilty Gear.
As far as non fighting games, i enjoy science fiction games like Metriod, Star Fox, Dead Space, Etc.

SurrealBrain

Smash Cadet
I play games to have fun. It could be competitive at times, but if I'm not having fun, then I'd rather not bother with it even if I'm decent at it. I'd keep playing a game I suck at if I'm at least having a blast with it.

As for preferred games, I like platformers, though I do try a bit of everything. First person shooters aren't really my thing, with very few even in my collection. I like N64 GoldenEye and Star Wars: Dark Forces, and I still need Perfect Dark, but beyond that...the only recentish FPS I played was GoldenEye Reloaded on PS3...which stunk.

I don't get to do multiplayer often, so it's always a special experience when I do.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
To the OP.

I'm all over the place.

I like classic scrolling shooters like Super R-Type, Ikuruga, Gradius, and Raiden.

I like games that have awesome multiplayer and replay value such as the Halo series.

I also am fond of Smash Bros. (duh X3) I have been playing since Smash 64. By the way, if any of you guys wanna play sometime my Nintendo ID is ForteEXE1986

Finally, I've stated in a previous thread that my favorite genre are fighting games such as Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Virtua Fighter, Dead or Alive, and especially Tekken.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
This is pretty much me nowadays. No more I'll only play a game depending on how bored I am. It really doesn't help that this current generation isn't all that impressive to me compared to last-gen.

TimeChain

Smash Apprentice
NNID
777brawlfan
3DS FC
4484-9816-4641
I don't really play video games competitively with the exception to Smash Bros (well, to an extent). Like one of the above posts, I play video games to have fun. I mostly play Smash Bros nowadays. When I say I play a lot of video games, I'm usually referring to Smash Bros. But I do love me some action-adventure and platformer games like Castlevania, Metroid, Mario, and Sonic and I'm playing a lot of Splatoon and Mario Kart recently. Another thing I'm doing recently is trying out different kinds of games. I grow to games I'm not familiar with pretty slowly though especially the ones that are uh...how do I put this...slower, more relaxed and requires not a lot of button inputs like RPGs and Life Simulators. Though who knows? I'm probably missing out in a lot of great games.

AkumaKing

Smash Apprentice
I'm a bit of a mess. Some games I'll pick up and dedicate most of my free time, too, others I try out and for some reason I can't get hooked on. Example: I beat Mark of the Ninja and have become rather adept at killing in the game, but I've not continued playing Skyrim for a while now.

Also, I tend to switch between "casual and hardcore". When I play a challenging platformer or a fighter, I can be considered hardcore. But when I'm playing something like, say, Zelda I'll play casually and just for fun/adventure, not to 100% it.

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
Hmm... I'm not necessarily what you'd call a "hardcore gamer," but I guess I play games on pretty much a daily basis. That said, I generally avoid talking about games in real life, especially with people whom I don't know well, mainly because of the negative associations that some people seem to have with them (e.g., that they're a waste of time or childish). I suppose that makes me a sort of "closet gamer."

I tend to focus on certain series I know and enjoy like Pikmin, Pokemon, Smash, and the Mario RPGs/platformers (plus Phantasy Star Online, though I haven't done much with that series lately). Aside from them, I'm also into RPGs and platformers more broadly and stuff like Mario Kart/Diddy Kong Racing and the Mario baseball games. The main thing I don't like in games is sexual and violent content, so I try to steer clear of games with a lot of that stuff in them as best as I can. That's probably a big part of the reason why I play so many Nintendo games.

My experience playing games online has taught me that I'm pretty mediocre at them. Given that I'm not a very competitive person by nature to begin with, I'm not really into PvP or comparing score or times or whatever. I do think that some of the stuff that people who are good at games can do can be entertaining to watch though. Basically, I'd much rather play co-op with somebody than see who's the best (which is going to be the other person most of the time, heh).

oZzIIgk

Smash Journeyman
All of my friends are terrible at both video and board games, so I usually prevail. In general, though, I'm at best mediocre at everything I play.

I've found that single-player games by and large bore me to tears. I like a good JRPG or horror title here and there, but that's about it.
also if anyone ever calls you a casual feel free to show them me, so they know the true meaning of casual

Last edited:

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
I'm more into platformers, puzzles, and certain RPGs. Very rarely do I ever play shooters. So, I guess you can say I'm a casual gamer.

Bairbie

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dowsingmachine
3DS FC
4124-5226-4163
I generally play lots of games casually, and since I play so many at once, I don't usually beat many haha. I mostly play games for fun (aka on easy or normal difficulties) but if I really like & beat a game, I'll try to make it harder for myself for a challenge.
For example, right now I'm on Chapter 8 of a PM:TTYD 10 HP run.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I'm a gamer who likes Nintendo games, and gets pissed easily when losing in Smash, which is a thing I'm trying to deal with...

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
I'm a gamer who likes Nintendo games, and gets pissed easily when losing in Smash, which is a thing I'm trying to deal with...
Welcome to the club. I do fine around people I know, but online I'm like a loose cannon.

Albie83

Smash Apprentice
I am more of a casual player. I like to just have fun and I can laugh when I do something dumb in multiplayer games. I mainly play single player games and I like to complete them. By this I mean, I like to find all items and secret levels in platformers and explore everywhere in RPGs and don't just try to get to the end.

swampthingcs

Smash Apprentice
I'm a completionist. Most games I need to get 100% or I'm not satisfied.

Of course, I mostly play short games like platformers and most games Nintendo throws out, so it's not like I'm clocking hundreds of hours on RPGs or anything.
see
im like the want to be completionist
i really wanna 100% games but by the time i decide to commit to it i found a better game
only game ive actually 100%'d is The Binding of Isaac Rebirth.
what a fantastic game, though

lordmud

Smash Rookie
I honestly play nothing but fighting and strategy games. besides that i play classics, but not much else. #Badgamer

Lily♫

(✿◠‿◠)
NNID
NheroArconix
3DS FC
5112-3935-5323
Competitive? I'm not sure if that's the word I'm looking for, but I do like playing in a "competitive" environment. Games like CS:GO, Hearthstone, Smash, etc. Games with high skill caps really do interest me the most, as I strive to get "good" at them, and then go beyond that. Rhythm games hold my interest a ton because of how much you can improve in them. I guess the best way to describe the kind of gamer that I am is one that likes to improve at games. Not exactly become the best, but to be good at them and still have fun.

Nona

Power of the Nonado♥
I'm the kind of gamer that binge-plays a game and then drops it when I get to the end :substitute:

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Definitely the latter. In RPGs and Smash, I give the game my undivided attention until I complete/get really far in the game. It's the main reason why I still haven't beaten Bravely Default despite purchasing it the day of its release.

Nona

Power of the Nonado♥
Definitely the latter. In RPGs and Smash, I give the game my undivided attention until I complete/get really far in the game. It's the main reason why I still haven't beaten Bravely Default despite purchasing it the day of its release.
Same with BD (although I didn't get it on release)
I don't even know why I just stop. It's like, I decide to not play for one day for any reason, and suddenly I just lose the drive to continue.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
I'm not a hardcore gamer by any stretch of the imagination.

But I take up video games mainly for passing the time, and exercising a favorite past-time.

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
Pokemon & Smash Bros.
And Kirby if available.

Any others are peripheries I don't pay too much mind to, really.

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34
The game I have picked up and focused a lot of my time on is Sm4sh. I liked Brawl, but I was not good at it. I am pretty good at Melee too, but Sm4sh seemed to be perfect.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Personally, I prefer the air to play just a few games and get really invested in them. I never buy a game unless I have completed the last game I was working on, and I even like to 100% complete them sometimes when I can do so in a reasonable amount of time. I do this because when I play a game, I love to talk about it with my friends and over the internet, and get into the really in depth stuff like analyzing the characters, making fan theories, discussing how good the game is compared to others, and all that stuff. I don't like to talk about any game too much unless I have completed it, and know everything about it. Sm4sh is the first game that I have really gotten competitive with, even though I have gotten really good at the other games I own as well, but I just really like to analyze games in their entirety.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
I'm still playing skyrim, have been for the past 4 years or so.....and I don't even play it on PC nor have I even touched the DLC (though I have it)

I think that can tell you a lot about what kind of gamer I am. I tend to get a really good game that has a ton of replay value and emergent game play. And I beat that horse until it's dead, my imagination and knack for finding exploits and glitches probably allows it to never get old. Right now I'm using the Ritual Stone combined with the Aetherial Crown to have an undead legion of animal followers, while I'm illusion sneak/invisible (playing a druid like character with the "saviours hide" armor)

I'm not too concerned with always playing the newest game that has come out, especially when it's like 10 hours of cookie cutter mainstream predictable stuff for $60. I'm still playing Melee as well; there is so much cram packed into that game, we still haven't discovered it all. You could try and master all the characters and never achieve it in your lifetime.

leefe

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3093-7077-5080
i mostly play a lot of competitive games (smash, tf2, splatoon, rocket league, etc) but i'm not a competitive gamer
i just have this sense that everyone else is better than me and it intimidates me a lot honestly

Top Bottom