• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What kind of concepts would you like to see for any character in Ultimate DLC/future Smash games?

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
A character that can use various parts of their body to fight, but st the risk of losing said body parts and becoming muck less mobile

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
A character that focuses on health leeching attacks.

A small and compact heavyweight.

A character who has their own personal “dragoon” game, either by dealing damage or taking damage causes these collectible items to drop. If the character collects all 3, they either get some sort of super attack or powered up state for a short period.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
A combo heavy heavyweight that has a decent speed but has no long range attacks and an awful recovery. All about stage control and pressure in neutral.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
This is the sort of thing that would have fit in in a game like Darkstalkers, but I don't think was ever done. I think a slime would make a really interesting fighting game character in terms of movement. Animations could change their shape and move their hurtbox all over the place, making them very slippery.

Spring Man is the go-to character people think of from ARMS, but I actually would like Helix more for this reason. He was used in a lot of promotional material, if I remember correctly.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
This is the sort of thing that would have fit in in a game like Darkstalkers, but I don't think was ever done. I think a slime would make a really interesting fighting game character in terms of movement. Animations could change their shape and move their hurtbox all over the place, making them very slippery.

Spring Man is the go-to character people think of from ARMS, but I actually would like Helix more for this reason. He was used in a lot of promotional material, if I remember correctly.
I’d love an amorphous non-solid character, I was kind of hoping we would get Slime to represent Dragon Quest simply because he would have crazy animations and hurt-boxes. Still I’m happy with Hero.

Another character who could fit this archetype besides Slime or Helix would be the Plasm Wraith, the last boss of Pikmin 3.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
I’d love an amorphous non-solid character, I was kind of hoping we would get Slime to represent Dragon Quest simply because he would have crazy animations and hurt-boxes. Still I’m happy with Hero.

Another character who could fit this archetype besides Slime or Helix would be the Plasm Wraith, the last boss of Pikmin 3.
Plasm wraith would work really well, as would gooey in my opinion

ze9

Smash Ace
Now let's see...
I'd like a character with some sort of prehensile fifth arm. Something like a giant ponytail, maybe?
To make it more fun, the character could be not some kind of human, but an animal. Like a monkey, for example. And I guess she would be female.
She could also use the ponytail to float around, maybe? And she could also have some sort of weapon, like a gun that shoots chewing-gums? And she should wear a beret and take out an electric guitar for her taunts.
...Yeah, something like that. Just throwing ideas.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Now let's see...
I'd like a character with some sort of prehensile fifth arm. Something like a giant ponytail, maybe?
To make it more fun, the character could be not some kind of human, but an animal. Like a monkey, for example. And I guess she would be female.
She could also use the ponytail to float around, maybe? And she could also have some sort of weapon, like a gun that shoots chewing-gums? And she should wear a beret and take out an electric guitar for her taunts.
...Yeah, something like that. Just throwing ideas.
You are a master of subtlety.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
I've got two character ideas that are quite gimicky.

Blaster Master
(I suppose calling the character Jason and Sophia but that's not nearly as catchy)

In the fight, you would control a tank. A person sized tank, sure, but a tank. Should you choose to get out of it for whatever reason, you're a lot weaker and more vulnerable but with different moves and are much harder to actually hit.

The other idea is Ico and Yorda

Ico (the guy with the horns) is the one you control directly. He can take Yorda's hand and lead her around or he can leave her somewhere and hope she doesn't wander off (her character would have it's own AI). For the fight, Ico does not take damage. he can be KOed and knocked around, but loosing with him doesn't count as a loss. Yorda is the one that takes damage. SO while controlling him, you're job is not only to beat your opponent but to protect her as well.

The Chupecabra

Smash Rookie
A game mode called "weapons" where characters with swords would be playable, and characters that don't have weapons would be given objects (swords, hammers, etc) that could have potentially been a part of their kit, like Mario with his hammer from Paper Mario, for example.

This would make traditional competitive play focused more on fun characters without removing sword fighters from the game, just putting them in a game mode where other characters are also given swords/weapons to even the playing field.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
A game mode called "weapons" where characters with swords would be playable, and characters that don't have weapons would be given objects (swords, hammers, etc) that could have potentially been a part of their kit, like Mario with his hammer from Paper Mario, for example.

This would make traditional competitive play focused more on fun characters without removing sword fighters from the game, just putting them in a game mode where other characters are also given swords/weapons to even the playing field.
Sword characters are balanced with their range in mind. Doing what you did makes no sense as having a sword doesn't inherently make a character better than a non-sword user.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I want the rest to not be gimmicky. Or at the very least to not be built around it like Joker and the Heroes.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I beg to differ
Then explain.

Most swordies, while having nice disjoints, are otherwise lacking in terms of frame data, recovery, and/or projectiles. Most of them have completely different hitbox orientations as well, so it's not like learning one swordie means you've learned them all.

The Chupecabra

Smash Rookie
Then explain.

Most swordies, while having nice disjoints, are otherwise lacking in terms of frame data, recovery, and/or projectiles. Most of them have completely different hitbox orientations as well, so it's not like learning one swordie means you've learned them all.
Not going to derail the thread so this is all I will say. I think the benefits heavily outweigh the weaknesses when it comes to the 4 marth clones, shulk, cloud, and corrin, which is evident by everyone playing them to death.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
They didn't play them to death the last three games. Ergo, if they're hypothetically broken, it's not the swords breaking them.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Not going to derail the thread so this is all I will say. I think the benefits heavily outweigh the weaknesses when it comes to the 4 marth clones, shulk, cloud, and corrin, which is evident by everyone playing them to death.
"People playing Shulk and Corrin to death". Man, I wish.

By your logic, we should give every character guns because how good Wolf and Fox are.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
How is this? A Rosalina and Luma character, but each Luma like character follows the fighter and grants them special abilities depending on their color as long as the Luma like character, which can be attacked, doesn't get KOed.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
How is this? A Rosalina and Luma character, but each Luma like character follows the fighter and grants them special abilities depending on their color as long as the Luma like character, which can be attacked, doesn't get KOed.
I think you just described Olimar.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I think you just described Olimar.
Not exactly. The Luma like character wouldn't even fight for the fighter. Plus, while Pikmin are part of Olimar attacks, the Lumaish character would enhance the fighter's abilities by giving them extra power or elementally enhanced attacks. Plus, the Lumaish fighter does not die in one or few hits.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Not exactly. The Luma like character wouldn't even fight for the fighter. Plus, while Pikmin are part of Olimar attacks, the Lumaish character would enhance the fighter's abilities by giving them extra power or elementally enhanced attacks. Plus, the Lumaish fighter does not die in one or few hits.
So, more like Shulk then?

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I still want to see a summoner in Smash. Basically, a character who summons allies for various attacks (outside of Final Smashes). Think Captain Commando in Marvel or Captain Ginyu in FighterZ.

I've heard someone purpose a Byleth moveset built around this mechanic, and I'd be very enthusiastic about that.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I still want to see a summoner in Smash. Basically, a character who summons allies for various attacks (outside of Final Smashes). Think Captain Commando in Marvel or Captain Ginyu in FighterZ.

I've heard someone purpose a Byleth moveset built around this mechanic, and I'd be very enthusiastic about that.
I think in a way the human from Undertale would do this with other characters from the game.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I think in a way the human from Undertale would do this with other characters from the game.
I find that to be indicative of a lack of moveset potential, and I personally hate when characters do that. It might at least be forgivable if the character was known for summoning, but such is not the case for Undertale.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
That's fair enough. I like Undertale and the concept of rep in Smash but I see what you're saying. Maybe an Advanced Wars rep would make the most sense with a summoning kind of mechanic now that I think about it more.

Top Bottom