• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What kind of concepts would you like to see for any character in Ultimate DLC/future Smash games?

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So what kinds of characters, not the characters themselves, but kinds of characters do you think would be good in a Smash game/would like to see in Smash? As in characters with gimmicks or work differently from the others. Let me give some examples.

A character that utilizes invisibility in parts of their body as they attack, making it hard to see those attacks coming, though some body parts can remain seen.

A character that uses charging for all their moves, and they have to refill many times during the match or their attacks aren't strong.

A character that depends on a certain item, and they get weaker when they drop the item.

A character that mimics the properties of all characters in battle, from fall speed to strength to weight to size, has no set properties of their own.

A character with not a large moveset, but a random one that changes in every battle.

A character that uses a force field and makes another character do the fighting for them until the force field breaks and they are attacked, and they are weak on their own and have to reset the force field to use that other character.

A character whose power depends on different environments, like gaining fire powers in a fire based stage like Norfair or water abilities in stages like Pirate Ship.

The concept/gimmick/moveset/functionality for such characters can be any thing. Remember, it doesn't have to be a specific character from any franchise. So, with all that said, what kind of concepts would you like to see for any character in a Smash game, as in how they would fight, function and all?

EDIT: Once again, I don't mean characters like Waluigi or Shantae or Krystal, just concepts on how they would play, as in how the character and their movesets or gimmicks work and play in game. So please, no posting names of characters here unless you can fit them in with such ideas of concepts you come up with.

Last edited:

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
I really wanted Krystal. She was considered for Brawl! Plus, adding another Rare made character to join DK, Diddy, K. Rool and now Banjo & Kazooie will be awesome! She would utilize her staff and be more unique than Fox, Falco and Wolf!

As for fighters with charging moves...hmm...I dunno...

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I really wanted Krystal. She was considered for Brawl! Plus, adding another Rare made character to join DK, Diddy, K. Rool and now Banjo & Kazooie will be awesome! She would utilize her staff and be more unique than Fox, Falco and Wolf!

As for fighters with charging moves...hmm...I dunno...
The charging move concept was just an example. I didn't mean specific characters, though. I meant concepts/ideas behind how a character plays.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
A character where their weapon is the only part of them that can take damage would be really cool I think, it would make it heavily risk based but with a high reward

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
A character where their weapon is the only part of them that can take damage would be really cool I think, it would make it heavily risk based but with a high reward
Now we're talking! I actually like this idea, by the way.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
How about a character who rides a horse?

Could be a ridiculous concept.

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
I like the horse rider idea, but maybe it can be even more general. Like a character who is always in vehicle or even is the vehicle
We kind of have that with Bowser Jr., but still. A character who’s always in a motorcycle, or a literal car or something, could be really cool

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
How about a balloon? A character using a balloon, with the character getting stronger the more puffed up the balloon is?

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Balloon Fighter has been my most wanted for over a decade. I haven't made a full moveset but I have thought of a gimmick.

The amount of jumps depends on how many balloons the guy has: 6 jumps for 2 balloons, 4 jumps for 1 balloon, and 2 jumps for no Balloon. Hitting him enough will make him pop one of his balloons. Pressing Down Special is making him start pumping one balloon.

Howz dat?

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Balloon Fighter has been my most wanted for over a decade. I haven't made a full moveset but I have thought of a gimmick.

The amount of jumps depends on how many balloons the guy has: 6 jumps for 2 balloons, 4 jumps for 1 balloon, and 2 jumps for no Balloon. Hitting him enough will make him pop one of his balloons. Pressing Down Special is making him start pumping one balloon.

Howz dat?
I like it a lot.

What about a fighter that uses something very small and fast moving in their attacks, hard to hit, but if hit, could deal great damage to the character themselves?

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
How about a character that has some weaknesses, can change between each weakness, but get a bit stronger and even gain new abilities as they fight when exposed to that weakness?

Or a game themed character that earns points by doing tricks, whether it be attacking opponents or not, and those points make the character stronger.

Or an acrobatic trick themed character which gets upgraded the more tricks they do, mainly tricks that don't attack opponents, but are used to show off/display skill.

Froggie

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-1897-8482-7298
Really any team from Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna the Golden Country.

They would work kinda like Pokemon trainer but would have the gimmick of affinity building (The longer they're battling, the stronger they would get).

Also the concept of switching and the cool down mechanic would be cool.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I know a lot of people are currently tired of Fire Emblem, but I think a Pegasus Knight from that series would be interesting in a future game. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of Main characters that fit this bill, which are usually the ones chosen. Maybe Caeda or Elincia.

Another idea I would like would involve another Pokemon Trainer type character for a series that could use some representation.

Finally, there is a lot of debate on which character Rhythm Heaven should be represented by. Why not all of them?

Last edited:

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
What about a character with an enhancing aura that powers up, but the user must maintain by not getting 50 percent damage or such, or the aura will reset and they have to build up power again?

Or a character that needs to use a special move, like the Down Special move, to maintain and enhance their abilities that are elementally enhanced, or otherwise, they lose their elemental powers and their attacks become normal?

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
How about a character that has some weaknesses, can change between each weakness, but get a bit stronger and even gain new abilities as they fight when exposed to that weakness?

Or a game themed character that earns points by doing tricks, whether it be attacking opponents or not, and those points make the character stronger.

Or an acrobatic trick themed character which gets upgraded the more tricks they do, mainly tricks that don't attack opponents, but are used to show off/display skill.
Those are great ideas!

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
We have characters who have a move that relies on an item that can be lost (Rosalina with Luma, K. Rool with his crown, and Robin's moves losing their electrical properties when the Levin Sword breaks), but what about a character whose whole moveset is based on an item that they can lose for a short time?

I don't know if you wanted specific characters linked to these, but I have a character in mind for mine.

Glover.

He would start the match with his ball, but it can be lost.
Neutral B would change the ball's form.
Side B would slap the ball in the direction you use the move in
Up B would have Glover propell himself upward off of the ball
Down B would be a dribble that creates a shockwave
Each move would would deal different amounts of damage and have different ranges depending on what form the ball is in.
Ways the ball could be lost would be if it is flung off the stage (other players could be able to throw it off), if the ball takes enough damage, and if it is in crystal form the ball does huge damage but breaks as soon as it touches anything).

So without the ball all of Hoover's specials would be the same move, he would hover and point in the direction that the ball was last seen, but if you hold it for 5 seconds (I don't know if it should be longer) the ball magically reappears in... his hand (??). He would be invincible while conjuring the ball back.

His standard moves, while without the ball, would just be weak taps that don't do much damage.

Last edited:

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
I thought of this a while back.

This fighter would be 4 separate characters in 1, they all have the same exact moveset, hurtbox and base attributes.
However, each them have their own strengths. (sort of like Monado Arts)

You would switch between them via holding down the attack button while input an assigned direction.

For reference:

Green = 1.2x more Mobility (Neutral & Back)
Red = 1.2x more Power (Forward)
Blue = 1.2x more Range (Up)
Yellow = Heavier and leaches heath when landing hits (Down)

Of course they'd all have their preferred situations and flexibility between many different play-styles.
I'd be simple to develop, you'd just need more models and voices lines

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
This is kind of boring but I've always wanted a character that had more than 4 special moves, but you needed to use one special move (like down B) to change the other special move. We kind of have things like Cloud gaining Finishing Touch after a full Limit Charge, or Olimar / Alph having their side B get different properties with their different Pikmin, but that's not what I mean.

Like, imagine if holding down the B button allowed Palutena to access more special attacks mid fight as a way to preserve her distinguishing feature in Smash 4, or if Shulk could access both regular Arts and Monado Arts with down B. Basically, one special move input wouldn't function for anything besides changing up other special moves.

The Hero may or may not turn out this way, it's ambiguous atm, but it's something that'd be cool to see.

I also concur with Mushroomguy12 Mushroomguy12 with wanting a Pegasus Knight. In general, I think Fire Emblem in Smash shouldn't care about the weapon triangle as it wouldn't meaningfully change a character's playstyle compared to the sword users, but it COULD care about getting more kinds of units playable. Mounted characters would be a good continuation of the mage and Manakete archetypes that Robin and Corrin brought, they'd play nothing like the rest of the Smash roster. Pegasus Knights seemed like the best fit because their wings mean they can believably jump and recover in a platform fighter.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Honestly not too fond of any of the list in the op.

Hero does seem to capture the random moveset idea though. Other then that, I think the item concept is kind of neat.

I’ve always liked the idea people threw out there of Captain toad pulling different items out of his bag or even throwing the bag to change playsyle.

Something like that would be a good concept.

An all rng based character could be fun.

Other then that, a character wielding multiple weapons sort of like the l miis but under one slot would be cool.

And A powerful concept could work well. Bandana Dee could make great use of this. His spear would be his main weapon, but taking influence from other waddle dees he can get a wand or umbrella, etc. Would work well.

Lastly I think sans or frisk getting in would bring a cool new gimmick that really only they could have. Which would be a pacifist and genocide playatyle.
Rewarding you for being less aggressive or more aggressive at times. It be pretty cool to see how people utilize that.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
So what I had for Shantae’s neutral special would be her transformations, how I imagined them is she’d take 4 different physical forms with their own stats and abilities as well as two different moves each that normal Shantae wouldn’t normally have (they would last around as long as Shulk’s Monado Arts). I basically have Shantae being Smash’s equivalent of a Swiss Army where she has access to different tools to adapt to any situation and playstyle. It would basically be a combination of Monado Arts and Pokémon Change. Full idea here:

Neutral Special: Transformation Dance, similar to Half-Genie Hero, Shantae dances and activates a selection of transformations around her and must select a direction to transform similar to Shulk’s new Monado Arts activation (lasts for 10-15 sec., shield and B to cancel out) Each Transformation would have one attack and one special attack

Forward-Monkey (Low Damage and more taken, High Jump, Wall Climb)
Attack: Monkey Claw (arching slash, can be used to juggle opponents)
Special: Monkey Bullet (weak but fast dash, slightly slower than Fox Illusion)

Down-Elephant (Low Speed and Jump, High Knockback and Less Taken)
Attack: Elephant Dash (slow but powerful dash attack)
Special: Elephant Stomp (high knockback)

Back-Spider (double jump allows her to use webbing to pull herself up if a surface is above, also capable of grabbing enemies and pulling them to her to jump off of)
Attack: Spider Leg (performs an uppercut with her frontal leg similar to the Bonelegs enemy in HGH, effectively attacks enemies above her)
Special: Spider Venom (continuously deals damage similar to flowers)

Up-Harpy (Less Traction and Floaty, Multiple Jumps)
Attack: Harpy Talon (overhead slash, potential meteor smash)
Special: Harpy Feather (low damage, but can fire multiple at a time)

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I really want to see a character that summons other creatures as part of their moveset in a way similar to Zato-1 from Guilty Gear or Ferry from Granblue Fantasy Versus. Like where entire beings are called out from the player and attack and just aren't separate creatures.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
A character who can create platforms to landscape the stage. Whilst this could be potentially game breaking, if the platforms are destructable I imagine it'd be pretty fun. One of the few reasons I'd be happy with Steve is this concept. A landscaper sounds pretty interesting to me.

Also a character who constantly moves and builds up momentum to increase their attack strength. Whilst probably pretty easy to counter the concept is kind of fascinating to me.

Also I agree with Idon Idon with the Summoner idea.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Sorry if I'm repeating something someone else has posted I haven't read all the posts yet. I like the idea of a character with some similarities to the superhero Gambit. Essentially, this characters kit would revolve a lot around throwing cards that deal small amounts of damage and have a wide array of random effects including buffs and debuffs for who they hit and impact the characters other moves so it's a gamble but balanced enough that it largely benefits the user. For example, one effect might have no effect on the opponent except that landing blows on the opponent within a short time frame increased your speed. Or applying a dot effect but hitting the opponent with a smash attack within a brief window of time would also cause a dot effect on you. Idk something like that seems cool to me but I am just a crazy dude so what do I know?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
A small, incredibly light character that summons a big body to help them, kind of like a reverse Rosaluma. Great at spacing, terrible at close range.

Or a character whose animations change depending on the stage (but no gameplay difference, just cosmetic)

Or how about characters based on D&D/Pathfinder classes?

Let's see.....
Fighter: Taken
Wizard/Sorcerer: Taken

Rogue: A character with a small hurtbox and lots of evasive moves, and attacks using long range darts, daggers, poisons, etc. with one or two strong killing moves to finish off the opponent after dealing lots of damage--oh wait, that's Shiek.
Cleric: A mace wielder that uses spells to heal themself and teammates while bludgeoning opponents (may also use magical attacks)
Druid: A character primarily focused on summoning plants and vines as stage obstacles to help them in battle. Wields a sickle.
Inquisitor: A grappler that likes to hook opponents and bring them in for close range punishes and chase them down with a crossbow, but an ape **** recovery.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
A middleweight character that retains his strength, as long as he continues to consume food or other health items, otherwise his stamina will decrease over time, on the upside he can run quickly to make item-collecting easier. Basically, a better application of Pokémon Trainer's Brawl stamina handicap.

Yes, it's Master Higgins, at least this thread's a good excuse to bring him up.

Top Bottom