• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is your opinions of the Gods?

Hacksignify

Smash Rookie
I know it's an odd question but I wonder what you think. Are they generally liked? Do you think there being consistent gods is a good thing? Do you think there will eventually be new gods?

finalark

SNORLAX
I know it's an odd question but I wonder what you think. Are they generally liked?
I'd assume most people are quite drawn to their particular god.

Do you think there being consistent gods is a good thing?
Probably. Usually when you try to introduce new deities into a preexisting faith all you get are schisms and holy wars.

Do you think there will eventually be new gods?
I think we're at a point in time where there isn't a whole lot of room for new religions, but maybe.

Suzukipot

Actual Mother trash
NNID
em12498
3DS FC
0404-9964-5652
New gods? As far as Melee goes? Nah, probably not. The skill cap for the game is already so high and no one is really putting in that much work so I don't think anyone'll ever get that good. The Gods'll probably stick around for a while. As far as that being a good thing? I dunno. It is good, in some ways, for them because they're the best of the best and it separates them from the rabble, so to speak. But like I said, it kind of does make a barrier between newer players and the more experienced ones.

1amayzingman

Smash Cadet
NNID
1amayzingman
I know it's an odd question but I wonder what you think. Are they generally liked? Do you think there being consistent gods is a good thing? Do you think there will eventually be new gods?
It's an odd question that is widely discussed amongst these forums so there wasn't really a reason to make a thread concerning it. But I'll play along anyway!

I'd say they're generally liked mostly for their affinity for the game. They are well respected due to their dominance in the scene at one time or another. Needless to say some of the gods have lost their steam (Mew2King just generally getting outplayed, PPMD's depression) they are still considered gods for their dominance. I don't think there will ever be such thing as "consistent gods", and if there was, I think it would've been done by now. Wouldn't Leffen be considered a god (granted he is considered the god slayer amongst some)? He's beaten every player considered a god there is. I haven't checked the power rankings in sometime, but I remember him being ranked 3rd over Mang0. Why isn't Leffen a god? Well, it's simple. These five players made a grave impact on how the game is played and helped a lot with the development of the meta for the character they main. Leffen sort of just picked up Fox and got good.

New gods? Probably not. The meta has developed immensely since all five of these players have reigned supreme over the rest of the community...it's unlikely random players are going to equal to such dominance as the gods did.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I personally think the idea of having gods is absurd. Who even came up with the concept? They're just humans who are very good at an old game.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I think it's good in that it creates a "storyline" to help keep hype for the game. Seeing players take them down through an upset is exciting or which one of them comes out on top. It's a good way for people not well versed in the game know which are the players to look out for.

However, I think it's really bad that Melee community (and also Smash 4, just not as severe) end up idolizing these players far more than they should which creates problems. This goes for other top players too. I think the fans can get a little too ridiculous and overstep their space.

Last edited:

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
The gods are on their ways out, I think. They've been around forever, and there's upsets at almost every tournament from some demigod (axe, westballz, leffen[?]). I don't see ppmd coming back anytime soon, but I certainly don't want to make any assumptions. Armada has already taken a hiatus once, Hungrybox has a pretty demanding job, mew2king has severe hand problems, and I honestly don't have much to say about mango. He doesn't really show many signs of slowing down, with the exception of his son. Either way, I think that within the next five years, at least 3/5 of the gods will be gone and other top players like leffen and westballz will be there to take their places.

Top Bottom