1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is your opinion on Tier Lists? Do they matter, and should we follow them?

Discussion in 'Light House' started by ToxicJared, Dec 9, 2017.

1. ToxicJared

ToxicJared
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Rookie

3DS FC:
    5301-0290-6570
    NNID:
    ToxicJared
    I'm making a YouTube video regarding the controversy of this topic rather soon and would love some feedback from all you guys!

I'd like some honest responses, so pour your heart out.

2. Hat N' Clogs

Hat N' Clogs
    Expand Collapse
    Determined

3DS FC:
    1650-2469-6836
    Hiya.
    As far as my own opinion on tier lists, here's what I think:

If you're in the competitive smash scene, then tier lists can be a great help determining who the best and worst characters are (and everything in-between) so you can know which characters to watch out for and how the meta in general is developing.

If you are a casual Smash player, then you don't need to worry about tier lists because tier lists are for the competitive scene rather than the casual scene.

Their value is ultimately very dependent on the person. If you are a competitive Smash player, they most certainly matter. If you are a casual player, they barely matter at all.

Those are my thoughts. I hope it helped :)

3. Crooked Crow

Crooked Crow
    Expand Collapse
    never odd or even

Yes they matter.

Yes you should follow them. At top levels of play, at least.

:065:

4. Rizen

Rizen
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Legend

NNID:
    RizenFall
    Tier lists are only as good as the person or people who made them. With that said, official tier list are usually on the mark.

5. MercuryPenny

MercuryPenny
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Journeyman

NNID:
    MemorialDime
    you can't really 'follow' a tier list. they're effectively a chart of relative character strength rather than a guideline for what character you should pick.

you can pick a high tier but that's not really following a tier list, in the same way that investing in a highly profitable business is not following a chart of the most marketable businesses. logically, you will likely see the most success if you go for what's successful now, but sometimes you can invest in something lesser known and less immediately profitable and see just as much success in the long term.

(im hoping that analogy worked)

Crooked Crow likes this.
  6. A Scrub

A Scrub
    Expand Collapse
    BonghornLeghorn

NNID:
    BonghornLeghorn
    This is right on point. If you're looking to get into the competitive scene, it's a good idea to have a main in high tier/top tier. If you're a casual, then tiers, frame data, and anything else that the competitive scene discovers and utilizes is largely irrelevant.

7. FamilyTeam

FamilyTeam
    Expand Collapse
    This strength serves more than me alone.

NNID:
    MontanaCity
    Tier Lists matter as much as you want them to matter.
    If you're playing at a higher level it might be good for you to at least be aware of what's on it, but you should never follow what's there religiously. We only get one official one per year and it's usually outdated in a matter of months. If you're at lower levels or casual, they don't matter at all.
    Heck, they might not matter to you even if you're at high level, if you just want to keep playing a character you enjoy no matter where they are.

8. zoyy2007

zoyy2007
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Rookie

• User was warned for this post
    Tier lists are stupid and ****ing gay whatever character to you is the best is the best

Falcos #1 in melee btw and should be #1 on the tier list .. suck my **** if u disagree

Doormaster likes this.
  9. McChicken

McChicken
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Rookie

Tier lists only matter at high levels of play. That's at least how it's supposed to be and luckily it's true for most games. So if you don't play a game at the highest level, they really don't matter. But even then, they shouldn't be taken too seriously, as some players just counter another players playstyle.

Except for Mewtwo in Gen I Pokemon. **** that

10. Shizuka Kawai

Shizuka Kawai
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Journeyman

This could not be any more true. I've been playing Smash series since 2005 beginning with Melee but I'm nowhere close to tournament level myself. It wasn't until the early days of Brawl that I noticed tier lists and subscribed to them. That said, a tier list should not have any influence on who you need to play unless tournament success is one's aim. Y'all notice how in Smash 4 I main :4bayonetta2::rosalina::4peach: not because they're top/high tier but rather I enjoy their character design and playstyles.

Not to me. I, a woman 56 years of age, may be staying away from tournament play but frame data, advanced tech, and other such tidbits I find to be invaluable information. I don't know about you but I aim to sequester myself from the casual group.

Honey, would you mind toning down that harsh language? You can have an opinion without it.

11. SuperDoom1

SuperDoom1
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Apprentice

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE
    NNID:
    SuperDoom
    For casual play, it doesn't matter; nobody's all that good and you can pick whatever character you like and you have an equal chance of winning; it's like CPUs.
    For championship play, it doesn't matter; the ultimate objective is to be the best at every character so that when one character's banned (dual Metas), you can go down through the tiers and still come out on top.
    For middle/Wiimfi players, that's where it matters; everybody's stronger than their amiibo but nobody's training with Jiggs.

(Yes, I know that I used Brawl and Smash 4 logic as if they're the same thing.)

12. Desu_Maiden

Desu_Maiden
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Cadet

While some characters are definitely better than others, most characters in Smash Bros are fairly even in their performance to kick a** and compete against other characters in my experience. Every fighting game is definitely going to have some characters that are op (over powered) and some that are underpowered (UP), but most characters probably fall between op and UP, (let's call these characters that are neither OP or UP as non-OP characters). Most characters are neither OP or UP. But there will always definitely going to be a few obviously OP and UP characters in any fighting game.

It ultimately depends on your preference. I tend to like to play as non-OP and OP characters because I don't like handicapping myself while playing against other players in a fighting game, whether in a causal or competitive setting. But sometimes when I am in the mood to handicap myself against a less experienced player, I play as an UP character. But that is rarely the case because I am a fairly competitive person when playing fighting games, and I don't like handicapping myself the overwhelming majority of the time.

#12 Desu_Maiden, Feb 11, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2018