• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is Your Opinion on Bayonetta?

Nani?

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4613-7779-1616
Switch FC
SW 2020-9361-5549
Personally, I don't think she needs to be in Smash. Her game series is a bit to... "Different" when you've got Mario and Kirby fighting each-other. I was honestly very disappointed when Bayonetta got announced for Smash. She belongs in her own game, not a kids fighting game. You could complain that you've got character holding swords and all that, and fox's with laser blasters, but there's a bit of a difference. Smash has nothing over-the-top that wouldn't make it a kids game. Meanwhile, Bayonetta's got revealing clothing and real guns. She just feels out of place for me. I know that's an unpopular opinion, but I really think the only reason the included her was because of the Smash ballot. Otherwise, nobody would've seen her coming. My second thing is that she's over-powered, but... I think we all know that. Anyway's, what's your opinion? (I hope I'm not the only one. xD)

Spirit Toons

Banned via Warnings
I don’t mind her. I’m not a big fan of “sexy” characters, I prefer girls like Lucina personally, but she is more than that. Bayonetta is in place for being out of place, almost like Snake in Brawl, mature but fun. She honestly feels like a Nintendo character at this point with her very stylish and cartoony personality, but with an M-Rated twist. I feel that she is Nintendo’s answer to hard core M-Rated titles and Nintendo wants her and Metroid to not only represent strong female protagonists, but also Nintendo’s ability to branch out from “Kiddie” games and take more mature approaches.

I guess I would say that I enjoy Bayonetta’s all-around involvement with Nintendo as she breathes new life into the company, allowing them to be more mature than usual, which they need and her inclusion in Smash represents Nintendo letting their family image guard down to include all tastes.

Also, I have a suspicion that the Ballot had nothing to do with Bayonetta’s inclusion as the programming would be cutting it very close for her being 5 months to develop and get the rights for the character and make stages and music. I think the real reason for her inclusion was to advertise Bayonetta 2, which Nintendo funded, and I don’t think it made that much of a return.

JazzaDawg

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1178-2246-1598
Switch FC
2923 8939 4091
While i don't like how she destroys the meta with her "brain dead" op combo move set. But i voted for her and i was happy to see she got in. While i don't play her often i'd still be upset if she got kicked.

Spirit Toons

Banned via Warnings
While i don't like how she destroys the meta with her "brain dead" op combo move set. But i voted for her and i was happy to see she got in. While i don't play her often i'd still be upset if she got kicked.
Ummm...I think Cloud destroyed the Meta, as if it wasn’t really just a Diddy, Sheik fest to begin with. Usually Smash Metas revolve around 2-3 characters, so it really isn’t Bayonetta’s fault.

D

Deleted member

I agree. Bayo doesn't fit in this game. This game is supposed to be kid friendly, not promoting character that are really revealing like Bayo or ZSS (although, we have to deal with ZSS at this point since she is nintendo's character after all) I think Nintendo Nerfing Snake and ZSS body parts is a good thing for this game. They are taking a step in the right direction. Now we just need Bayo gone...

Nani?

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4613-7779-1616
Switch FC
SW 2020-9361-5549
I don’t mind her. I’m not a big fan of “sexy” characters, I prefer girls like Lucina personally, but she is more than that. Bayonetta is in place for being out of place, almost like Snake in Brawl, mature but fun. She honestly feels like a Nintendo character at this point with her very stylish and cartoony personality, but with an M-Rated twist. I feel that she is Nintendo’s answer to hard core M-Rated titles and Nintendo wants her and Metroid to not only represent strong female protagonists, but also Nintendo’s ability to branch out from “Kiddie” games and take more mature approaches.

I guess I would say that I enjoy Bayonetta’s all-around involvement with Nintendo as she breathes new life into the company, allowing them to be more mature than usual, which they need and her inclusion in Smash represents Nintendo letting their family image guard down to include all tastes.

Also, I have a suspicion that the Ballot had nothing to do with Bayonetta’s inclusion as the programming would be cutting it very close for her being 5 months to develop and get the rights for the character and make stages and music. I think the real reason for her inclusion was to advertise Bayonetta 2, which Nintendo funded, and I don’t think it made that much of a return.
True. I like what you said about the whole "They're in place for being out a place thing," but I think what separates her from Snake is that Snake has bazookas and guns, so sure that's violent, but I feel like part of the problem is Bayo's design. I would have no problem with her being in Smash if it weren't for the design. Snake smokes and has guns, but that's a bit minor compared to what Bayonetta does. I have no problem with Bayonetta being on a Nintendo console, but I think Smash is over-stepping her boundaries.

Spirit Toons

Banned via Warnings
True. I like what you said about the whole "They're in place for being out a place thing," but I think what separates her from Snake is that Snake has bazookas and guns, so sure that's violent, but I feel like part of the problem is Bayo's design. I would have no problem with her being in Smash if it weren't for the design. Snake smokes and has guns, but that's a bit minor compared to what Bayonetta does. I have no problem with Bayonetta being on a Nintendo console, but I think Smash is over-stepping her boundaries.
I don’t feel that Smash is overstepping boundaries, as it is a celebration of Nintendo characters, and whether we like it or not, Bayonetta has basically been grandfathered in by Nintendo, to the point that most will now associate her with the company. Bayonetta is Nintendo’s M-Rated darling, that helps shake up the family friendly image that has been a burden on them since the Wii. Bayonetta really opened Nintendo up to having more mature franchises on their systems, as now fellow female lead franchise Metroid has come out of its grave to be a more mature title.

To comment on the character herself though, Smash did tone down the design significantly to be family friendly. I understand that Bayonetta does fill more of an extreme opposed to Snake, being more sexual and violent, making her harder to justify. Yet, I would actually say that she fits in better than Snake ever could.

Bayonetta fits in as she is an over the top character, bringing in monsters and crazy unrealistic moves, while having an unbreakable confidence level. Bayonetta is just an over glorified cartoon character bringing so much wackiness to the table that could easily take more precedence over her sexuality. Compare her to Snake who is a more grounded, so his more realistic and violent ways are shown more heavily in his moveset, over Bayonetta’s more flashy and crazy, unrealistic ways of getting things done. Bayonetta fits the Nintendo mold more than Snake as she is just a super flashy character more in line with characters like Sonic, who definitely fit in.

C3ntra

Smash Rookie
I remember when I was a kid and didn't know how to look things up yet, Snake confused the hell out of me. I thought he looked kind of cool, sure, but he seemed really out of place with his whole dark and serious presence. Yeah, brawl was just that style of game, but even so, he didn't fit next to Kirby and Peach. Now I'm a lot older and start going "YAS KWEEN," at the presence of Bayonetta, so I don't notice, but I can only imagine being 9 years old again and getting to the fight where I unlock Bayonetta. A total "excuse me what" moment, really. Although I have to admit, something is different about Bayonetta. She isn't all serious like Snake, and she isn't all monotone. She has a cocky and fun attitude, and she doesn't just wear black, she ROCKS it! Not to mention that almost all of her attacks give off some really pretty blue/red streaks. She's M rated for sure, but she almost fits in this kids game with her flashy colours, huge demon limbs and her big, sassy attitude.

Top Bottom