• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is your most hated criticism against your most wanted character?

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
A new one that I hear a lot now against my boy in purple.

"He can't/doesn't actually fight in the games he's in"

:ultfalcon::ultdoc::ultduckhunt::ulticeclimbers::ultisabelle::ultgnw::ultrosalina::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer:

Did I miss any?

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
“I can’t see Banjo & Kazooie as anything but a Duck Hunt clone”

Last edited:

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Here are some more arguments against Waluigi that I've come across:

"Waluigi isn't relevant."
- First and foremost, King K. Rool would like to have a word with you. Secondly, Waluigi's last game appearance was in Super Mario Party. SMP came out a month ago. The latest game appearance before that was in Mario Tennis Aces, which was released in June. Then before that, there was a Rabbid version of Waluigi in Mario + Rabbids, which released in August 2017. And then before that, there was Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. That sounds relevant to me...

"True Waluigi fans wouldn't want Waluigi playable because he's supposed to be a loser."
- I mean, you could argue that true Isabelle fans wouldn't want her playable because she's supposed to be a pacifist, yet here we are.

Sure, Waluigi is supposed to be this self-pitying outcast who only comes out of hiding to try and dominate everyone in meaningless spin-off competitions, but that's the thing: he's still playable in those games. By the above logic, no one should ever play as him because he should never get the spotlight, and should the player playing as him win the game, the game would crash because the programmers never programmed a victory for Waluigi because of how "out-of-character" it is. Of course, that isn't true. You can win with Waluigi. And you can also play as him in a great multitude of games.

Considering Waluigi only comes out of hiding for Mario spin-off appearances, I think it would fit in perfectly with his character if Waluigi snuck into this prestigious tournament, thinking it was another tennis game, only to find out it's a multi-dimensional tournament of champions. If he wins, he rubs it in everyone's face because he's an incredibly sore winner. If he loses, he gripes and throws a tantrum all about how literally everyone except him cheated because he's a sore loser.

Lastly - and this is a big one - it's just a game. I know that us fans really love our canon and consistency, but Waluigi being in Smash is literally a matter of Sakurai deciding to make it happen. There are plenty of out-of-character appearances in Smash Bros, but they happened anyway because Sakurai thought it's what the fans wanted.

Graf von Tirol

Smash Cadet
^ Related to the first point:

"You may as well accept DQ/Sora/Steve/GranBlue as DLC and give up hope for Geno and Banjo"

*shudders*

Even after Vergeben merely says "Minecraft content" and the point I've heard about the GranBlue deal merely being an early thought, this is still getting annoying. And we don't even know for sure which Square Enix rep it will be (granted Sora is Top 20 in Japan iirc; DQ on the other hand seems to suddenly be in the conversation). The deconfirmation-by-Spirit argument also ticks me off.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Less of an argument, and more people just outright ignoring that Elma also surivived the "massacre" of the last Direct, instead of just Bandana Dee. People can't make up annoying arguments against your most wanted if they just ignore them entirely.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Less of an argument, and more people just outright ignoring that Elma also surivived the "massacre" of the last Direct, instead of just Bandana Dee. People can't make up annoying arguments against your most wanted if they just ignore them entirely.
...Which is something I'm quite used to in regards to Vaati, and now people are neglecting Bomberman and Krystal when they talk about potential Assist Trophy promotions. Yes, I'm slightly bitter.

Bandiheart

Smash Rookie
Time to hopefully revive this with a few new franchise possibilities.
|
Amaterasu
"A Wolf wouldn't work in Smash" - She's more than capable of combat despite being a wolf. Thanks to her weapon that floats above her back. Have you looked at her Marvel Vs. Capcom moveset? She's more capable of fighting than any child with magical powers.

Monster Hunter
"Another Boring Swordfighter..." - Anyone who knows anything about Monster Hunter would know that they can use so much more than just a sword. Katana, Sword and Shield, Bow, Glaive, Basically a Cannon. They could potentially be one of the most varied characters in Super Smash Bros if they make it into the game.

Klonoa
"But he does nothing but grab people!" - While that may be true, it's also not true. He doesn't just grab enemies. He uses them as weaponry, which would be quite an interesting way to fight in Super Smash Bros. Imagine being able to grab someone, and use them to gain an extra jump, or throw them at an enemy like Kirby and King Dedede can do. That could lead to a very fun moveset. He would definitely play like a grappler, but a different kind of grappler.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Oh, just as a reminder to those speculating the remaining DLC slots; Reggie’s words about franchises “new to the series” were misinterpreted. However, he did still say that the characters would be “unexpected”, but even then I would appreciate it if you didn’t bash people whose wanted characters are “expected” or “in a veteran series”.

12/29/18 EDIT; Becuase I didn’t want to triple post:

Concerning Crash, to launch projectiles and make tornado attacks, there is already Mario.
Also, Crash was created from the Sonic concept (Wikipedia link)
- Because the player would be forced to constantly look at the character's rear, the hypothetical game was jokingly called "Sonic's *** Game".
- Naughty Dog Wanted to do what Sega and Warner Bros. Sonic the Hedgehog and the Tasmanian Devil, and the fact that they were "cute, real, and not one".

So, do you think that copying other icons to impose a new icon is encouraged in Smash Bros ?
I’m not usually affected by people who don’t want Sora in Smash, but this guy takes the cake for unsupportive:
I don't see Sora coming to Smash. Nintendo don't want to add any Disney references into their game because it would mean they have to pay Disney. Disney ain't going to let Nintendo use their stuff without paying them for it. And you can't add Sora without any Disney refs, his Keyblade have Mickey's logo all on it. There's no stages they can use from KH because everyone of them are either from Disney's movies or have heavy Disney references in them. And don't even start on his Final Smash, when he needs Donald and Goofy to pull it off.

Sorry but Sora can't be in Smash! There's no way!

Last edited:

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Wonder Red
-
“His game didn’t sell well”
(read that in a sarcastic mocking fashion)

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
--Thrall--
"Warcraft has never been on Nintendo so he cannot get in"
I honestly do not care, Sakurai should just add him despite that.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
"We already have 10 Pokemon"
And we already have 9 Mario characters, 11 if you think Yoshi and Wario should count, yet you still want Geno/Waluigi/Toad. Alternatively;
"But it doesn't fill quotas X, Y, and Z!"
I want to play as it, not stare at a "balanced" roster.

Last edited:

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Hollow Knight:
"He's too recent"
Boi, Hollow Knight came out before BOTW and a bit after Persona 5, he is fine.
Bandana Dee
"Hat Goomba; spirits deconfirm"
We have Piranha Plant and spirits is just a piece of art. Trophies required more work and they didn't deconfirm.
Geno
"Give up because Erdrick is gonna happen"
Why should I give up? last time I trusted leakers we got Joker.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
In light of recent events. I finally found one for my most wanted.

"Ryu Hayabusa can't be in Smash. We already have a Ryu."

1. 2 Roys
2. Hayabusa Is usually referred to by his last name only.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Goemon?! Who's that?! He sounds too obscure and weabooish so he doesn't deserve to be in Smash.

Banjo & Kazooie would just be a Duck Hunt Echo dude. Why would you want them?

Krystal is already a Assist Trophy and besides, you would have to be a crazy furrie loving delusional maniac to really want her in Smash.

Dixie Kong would be okay, but not that interesting.

Porky?! He's a who and doesn't have the demand that Ridley and K. Rool had so he is absolutely not getting in.

We already have 3 Links so why would you want 2 different versions of Ganondorf? We have Ganondorf, so we don't need Ganon.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
Darkrai

"There are already a bunch of Pokemon reps", "Darkrai won't fit well with Smash", and "Darkrai is already a Pokeball"

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
"They look like an anime character."

So what? Video games take design cues from other visual media all the time.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
"Terry or Kyo can't be in Smash! We already have Ryu who represents the entire fighting game genre!"

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
"Geno is an irrelevant side character from a 20 year old game"
"Geno would play too similar to Samus"
"Geno's fanbase isn't even large enough to get in, it's just really vocal"
"Geno is owned by Square so he'll never get in"

"Isaac would essentially be another Marth clone, making him another generic anime swordfighter"
"Isaac is from a dead franchise"

"Porky is too big"
"Porky would be too similar to Bowser Jr"

"Sora has too many copyright issues to deal with"
"Sora's key is a glorified sword, making him another generic anime swordfighter"

"Master Chief is unnecessary" (what does this one even entail, is anyone a necessary addition)
"Halo is too mature for Smash"
"Master Chief would be too similar to Samus"

"Lloyd is like Marth with two swords, making him another generic anime swordfighter"
"Tales isn't even a popular series"

"Tabuu was a boss and therefore doesn't deserve a spot"
"Tabuu is from Brawl and Brawl was bad so Tabuu is bad"

"The Knight from Hollow Knight is too obscure"
"The Knight from Hollow Knight would be too similar to Meta Knight because he has a short sword"

"Bandana Dee is like a Goomba with a hat"
"Bandana Dee is irrelevant to Kirby"

"Leon is from Resident Evil, which is too scary for Smash"
"Nintendo would add Chris before Leon since Chris has been in Marvel vs. Capcom"

"We don't need more Fire Emblem characters (even if the character doesn't have a sword)"

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
"Bomberman shouldn't be in Smash since Snake already fulfills his role."

We have people to this day using arbitrary **** and fan-made rules. Don't know if that's more funny or depressing.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Just about every fan-made rule has been broken at this point, I'm not sure why anyone would hold on to them (and if they are I'd like to see which rule it is).

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
"No more FE"
While I partly understand because the picks Sakurai has made are a bad representation of FE, why be so close minded when there's so many interesting possibilities, like Ephraim/Azura (lance), Hector/Edelgard (axe), Tiki (dragon), Lyn (sword style not represented yet and also uses bows), Celica (mage), Takumi/Claude (bows), etc.?

"Isaac is irrelevant/another swordsman"
1. Not having a new game means nothing
2. Ignores the fact the GBA era is sorely underrepresented.
3. If you took 2 minutes to learn the most basic information about him or Golden Sun, you'd know his sword would hardly need to be used in his moveset at all.

3. "No more anime" pretty much against anyone but recently against Rex/Pyra
Besides the fact that it makes no sense to criticize "anime" as an art style in a Japanese product, people who say this usually don't include Zelda characters or Pokemon as "anime", so it's pretty much a cover for "I don't like this specific character but can't really think of a reason why".

4. "Sora would open the floodgates to anyone being added"
Sora is still a videogame character and the Disney stuff would either be minimal or not there at all.

newsuperhackboys

Smash Cadet
Bandanna Dee is really minor and a generic enemy:
I mean, I'm no Kirby fan but clearly, Bandanna does play some major roles in some games. Plus, he's a unique character from the regular Waddle Dee. With Piranha Plant added in, the generic enemy argument has been shattered (though I've kind of wanted Goomba in Smash too.)

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Just about every fan-made rule has been broken at this point, I'm not sure why anyone would hold on to them (and if they are I'd like to see which rule it is).
We still need "No Spirit/AT DLC" to be broken, but yes, when this is the game that gave us a playable Piranha Plant, there is no point in holding on to rules. Except for "No non-video game characters".

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
In general: "Their moveset would be boring"

Translation: "I have a paltry imagination incapable of coming up with something I'd subjectively find enjoyable ergo no one could possibly enjoy this character as playable"

Patwhit01

Smash Cadet
People make up every dumb excuse imaginable when anyone tries to suggest a Mother 1 rep be added instead of a second Mother 3 rep.

Ninten:
"He looks too similar to Ness. He would be impossible to differentiate from a distance."

Change the design then. Smash Bros. does whatever it wants with character design. Peach and Daisy's dresses are way more detailed than in the official Mario games. Zelda's design is a hybrid of Link to the Past and Link Between Worlds. Ridley's design is a composite design made up for Smash. Pit and Palutena's designs were completely changed for Smash. (Palutena's was made up for Brawl then reused for Kid Icarus: Uprising) If Ninten's design is such a problem, change his design. Give him different idle animations and other misc animations from Ness to make his silhouette easier to spot.

"Ninten has no offensive PSI"
lol

Does that... really matter? At all? Ness and Lucas both have a total of one offensive PSI move. The rest are from their party members. Mother 1 has a ton of PSI not seen in the later games, such as PK Beam, Darkness, Quick Up, Power Shield, Brain Cyclone, etc. Also, the Slingshot and Boomerang could also be used for Ninten's moveset, even if they aren't PSI.

"Make him a Ness skin"
PK Starstorm doesn't exist in Mother 1. Neither does the yo-yo as a weapon or PK Flash.

"Yeah well Ness and Lucas don't learn PK Starstorm or their moves."

The difference is that PK Starstorm is still part of EarthBound and Mother 3, so it's easier to let it slide that they use PK Starstorm. PK Starstorm as a move does not exist in Mother 1 in any capacity. It would be a huge stretch to give it to Ninten, along with the yo-yo and PK Flash.

Giygas:
"You can't make a moveset for Giygas. His attacks are always described as "incomprehensible" or "inexplicable"."

Ignoring the fact that "No moveset potential" as an argument is a complete joke, there is a ton of things you can make a Giygas moveset with.
Part of the backstory to the first Mother game is that the knowledge and capabilities of PSI were stolen from Giygas' race, so Giygas was sent to Earth to destroy humans. Give him PSI. No biggie.

Go all out with the "incomprehensible" attacks by making over-the-top animations for his moves. Give him a move where he turns you to stone. (This is a status effect in Mother 1.) Have a move where he attacks by clawing into reality. Have his grab be him attacking your mind with Telepathy. Just make stuff up, it's not like Smash Bros has ever done that for character movesets anyway, am I right?

"Mewtwo echo"
Stop it. No. That would be dumb and a disservice to Giygas. (He inspired Mewtwo anyway.)

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
"Reimu may be super popular in Japan, but she's unknown in the west."

This is a dumb argument that doesn't in any way reduce Reimu's chances for two chief reasons amongst others:

1. Touhou Project may not have the sheer mainline popularity of most of the current third parties in the west, but it's not an unknown. There's a clear following in the west, even if it is just a cult following (like, say, Earthbound), and characters who are far less popular in both eastern and western territories (Looking STRAIGHT at you, Takamaru) are getting requested, so why NOT Reimu?

Saying Reimu has no presence in the west is simply not true no matter how you slice it.

2. Going by that logic, we wouldn't have the Belmonts (Castlevania has NEVER had any real success in Japan), yet nobody complains about them.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
We have :ultbayonetta::ultpiranha::ultmarth::ultwiifittrainer::ultlucas::ultgnw::ultmewtwo::ultwolf: running around in Electroplankton, and people still thinking "X wouldn't fit into Smash" is an argument.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
"You only want (X) in the game because you're attracted to them."

Listen, I have a lot to say about this one. As someone who supports many female characters to be playable, there isn't a single one who I want simply because I think they're hot, that's drivel and a bigoted argument. If I want Linkle or the Squid Sisters to be fighters, that's because I think they have enough merits on their own to be playable, not because I want to see an explosion of Rule 34 and stroke my waifu or whatever.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Lyndis has gotten a few arguments I'm not particularly fond of.

"She'd just be another Marth clone/Anime Swordfighter!"
While she does have a sword, it's a completely different kind of sword in regards to her peers and how she uses it. Just looking at just one of her animations in her original game shows that she'd have a completely different playstyle than Marth or the offshoots from his play-style.

"She's already an assist trophy!"
While we currently don't know the exact details of if current assist trophies can or can not become playable via DLC, this was more directed towards pre-ultimate speculations. What was stopping her from being a trophy in Smash 4 to being a playable character in Smash Ultimate? Little Mac was an assist trophy and became playable in Smash 4 from Brawl. No reason why someone like Lyn could make that upgrade to Ultimate. Though I guess I got a bit of a Monkey's paw with Dark Samus.

"Fire Emblem has too many characters already!"
And Mario has 13 characters already on the roster. I don't think numbers really matter to Sakurai as much as they do to you. And I get it, a vast majority of people who play Smash most likely have never even touched a Fire Emblem game and I get that. It's fair to think that characters from a series you don't play are hogging up space on the roster for your favorite characters from games you do play. But what's not fair is denying any more characters from that series that has recently it a huge spike in popularity and brand recognition, especially in Japan. I find it more likely Nintendo will draw from that well more than game characters that haven't been on a game console in years.

Last edited:

etano

Smash Cadet
Lyndis has gotten a few arguments I'm not particularly fond of.

"She'd just be another Marth clone/Anime Swordfighter!"
While she does have a sword, it's a completely different kind of sword in regards to her peers and how she uses it. Just looking at just one of her animations in her original game shows that she'd have a completely different playstyle than Marth or the offshoots from his play-style.

"She's already an assist trophy!"
While we currently don't know the exact details of if current assist trophies can or can not become playable via DLC, this was more directed towards pre-ultimate speculations. What was stopping her from being a trophy in Smash 4 to being a playable character in Smash Ultimate? Little Mac was an assist trophy and became playable in Smash 4 from Brawl. No reason why someone like Lyn could make that upgrade to Ultimate. Though I guess I got a bit of a Monkey's paw with that with Dark Samus.

"Fire Emblem has too many characters already!"
And Mario has 13 characters already on the roster. I don't think numbers really matter to Sakurai as much as they do to you. And I get it, a vast majority of people who play Smash most likely have never even touched a Fire Emblem game and I get that. It's fair to think that characters from a series you don't play are hogging up space on the roster for your favorite characters from games you do play. But what's not fair is denying any more characters from that series that has recently it a huge spike in popularity and brand recognition, especially in Japan. I find it more likely Nintendo will draw from that well more than game characters that haven't been on a game console in years.
Personally I wan't more Fire Emblem characters. Each is different with personalities and moves and weapons. Completely agree with what you said. As Lyn is one of my most wanted characters in smash.

A Pichu And Lucas Main

Smash Rookie
I swear
The Spirit arguement for any character just makes me mad, like why should spirits deconfirm fighters if spirits were most likely made before DLC

Top Bottom