• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is your most hated criticism against your most wanted character?

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
Personally the whole reason I'd like to see Excitebiker is BECAUSE I want to see a moveset that fully takes place on a bike. But maybe I'm an outlier

Also, screw the "Goomba with a hat' argument. Ya'll are just bein' mean. Don't bully the borb.
Same that's why I like Excitebiker it's just when people say "the character would be too hard to make" that's just a suggestion I have. Also I think making him playable would be difficult is a weak argument because there's been plenty of characters who basically had no moveset to base off of but they made it work, while Excitebiker actually already has moveset potential.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Same that's why I like Excitebiker it's just when people say "the character would be too hard to make" that's just a suggestion I have. Also I think making him playable would be difficult is a weak argument because there's been plenty of characters who basically had no moveset to base off of but they made it work, while Excitebiker actually already has moveset potential.
I don't understand the idea that Excitebike would be a hard character to make. Combine some cool dirt bike trick moves with some of the gimmicks and events from Excite Truck and Excitebots (spawning a ramp, throwing a pie, latching a set of fake teeth onto an opponent to slow them down, etc.), and then put it on a slippery-yet-speedy motorcycle. Bam. There's Excitebiker.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I don't understand the idea that Excitebike would be a hard character to make. Combine some cool dirt bike trick moves with some of the gimmicks and events from Excite Truck and Excitebots (spawning a ramp, throwing a pie, latching a set of fake teeth onto an opponent to slow them down, etc.), and then put it on a slippery-yet-speedy motorcycle. Bam. There's Excitebiker.
I believe Excitebiker was heavily considered for Melee, but the devs had issues figuring out how to make him jump believably and as a result they decided to go with another retro character (which ended up being Ice Climbers). That's probably where these arguments stem from mostly.

As we know Sakurai and the team has been able to solve problems over time as we see with :ultvillager::ultpacman::ultmiifighters: and of course :ultridley: And honestly coming up with a way to get a dirtbiker to jump (or bunny hop) isn't really a hard thing to think of.

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
If they even know who she is, Arle... tends not to be detracted much. Granted nobody thinks she's likely (except me). The only one that bugs me is "What can she even do?" As if she doesn't have a repertoire of magic spells to pull from or a helpful pet who can do everything she can and just moves blobs around.

Surprisingly, the one that would upset me the most, "Too many SEGA characters" is never said in anything I've seen.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Shantae shouldn't be in because she's r34 bait and everyone who likes her is a pervert. For obvious reasons.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Oh I have a lot of good ones to talk about.

Any Fatal Frame Character ever - “They are too realistic and don’t fit Smash” Solid Snake says hi! If he can get away with being a realistic human, what’s bad about seeing a realistic Japanese girl with a camera built for exorcism?

“They have no moveset potential and can’t fight” Again, anyone can have a moveset. Plus these are human girls that pushed spirits off of them whenever they attack them. So they should be capable of physical attacks than just the Camera Obscura.

“Fatal Frame is too violent and scary for Smash” Sure’s let’s ignore Simon's reveal trailer where Luigi is straight up killed by Death and freaking Carmilla still cries tears of blood (albeit purple than red). If Castlevania’s content can still be scary in Smash, what’s bad about a Fatal Frame stage or a protagonist fighting with ghosts? Plus, they CAN be toned down to be more Smash appropriate like the abforementioned Carmilla.

Paper Mario - “We don’t need a third Mario” We don’t need three Links in Smash. Your point?

Asuka (Senran Kagura) - “We don’t need weaboo fanservice in Smash” This argument is just as bad as “Ha, your argument is invalid if you have an anime avatar”. The fanservice elements CAN be toned down. Just no clothing damage, upskirts, or jiggle physics. Zero Suit Samus and the rest of the female cast was toned down the same way. Especially Bayonetta.

“She doesn’t fit a fighting game” Homura appeared in a fighting game before and Senran Kagura characters were considered for BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle. Plus the entire series covered both the beat em up and arena brawler genres for both halves of the series. The moveset speaks for itself.

Jibanyan - “Yokai Watch is a mediocre Pokemon clone” May I remind you that Mon is a genre of itself in video games AND anime? Monster Rancher, Digimon, Duel Masters, NeoPets, Fossil Fighters, Spectrobes, Metal Walker, Yugioh, etc. Plus Shin Megami Tensei predates Pokemon as the original Mon RPG video game franchise.

“Yokai Watch is dying and had no legacy” Might as well remove Sonic because he had a few bad games. Plus Yokai Watch 2 was so big of a deal that even Game Freak tried making Pokemon’s anime more comical while at the same time making Sun & Moon different with the Z moves to get the same younger crowd YW attracted. Just because the last Japanese movie was a bomb and Yokai Watch 3 didn’t outperform its predecessor doesn’t mean the series wasn’t big enough in Japan.

Crash Bandicoot - “He’s a PlayStation Character” Sure, let’s just focus on his legacy on the PlayStation and ignore the countless multiplayer games that were made after Naughty Dog stopped developing Crash’s original trilogy. From Wrath of the Cortex to the N Sane Trilogy.

Sceptile - “He’s a bandwagon character” Name ONE character support that was without a bandwagon. And you say none, you are lying.

“Decidueye is more relevant” Not all characters need to be relevant. Pokemon Trainer was added to Brawl and he wasn’t as recent as Lucario at that time. Mostly based on Gen 1.

Rex & Pyra “Their designs are bad” If you don’t like their design, that’s fine. But THAT shouldn’t be a reason why they can’t be in Smash. Might as well say I don’t want Fjorn from Fire Emblem Heroes because her design looks generic or Incineroar for being an “ugly final evolution”.

Last edited:

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
The "Paper Mario would just be a clone of regular Mario!" thing grinds my gears so much lmao
Like right off the bat, the Hammer from the Mario RPG series. Like, that gives so much potential and differentiation right there.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
My most wanted character was :ultkrool:. Obviously the biggest argument against him was his "relevance". While it is true that he has been M.I.A. for a decade, his importance to the DKC trilogy and DK64 can not be ignored. Those four games alone cemented his legacy as a great Nintendo villain, and that was enough of a reason for him to become relevant again in future games in my opinion.

LaughingLefou

Smash Apprentice
Sans: "I hate the Undertale fandom," or, "He's indie."

All fandoms are trash, especially ones I'm in, so don't act like that's a good reason to not include someone, and it may be indie, but its insanely popular for an indie game and has influenced a lot. To call it simply an indie game is to downplay its impact on the medium.

Nintykid

Smash Apprentice
Jibanyan - “Yokai Watch is a mediocre Pokemon clone” May I remind you that Mon is a genre of itself in video games AND anime? Monster Rancher, Digimon, Duel Masters, NeoPets, Fossil Fighters, Spectrobes, Metal Walker, Yugioh, etc. Plus Shin Megami Tensei predates Pokemon as the original Mon RPG video game franchise.

“Yokai Watch is dying and had no legacy” Might as well remove Sonic because he had a few bad games. Plus Yokai Watch 2 was so big of a deal that even Game Freak tried making Pokemon’s anime more comical while at the same time making Sun & Moon different with the Z moves to get the same younger crowd YW attracted. Just because the last Japanese movie was a bomb and Yokai Watch 3 didn’t outperform its predecessor doesn’t mean the series wasn’t big enough in Japan.
Yeah Yokai Watch was, at one point, BIGGER than Pokemon. Most of those Mon clones WISH it could beat Pokemon especially in Japan.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Sans: "I hate the Undertale fandom," or, "He's indie."

All fandoms are trash, especially ones I'm in, so don't act like that's a good reason to not include someone, and it may be indie, but its insanely popular for an indie game and has influenced a lot. To call it simply an indie game is to downplay its impact on the medium.
Jokes on them, not like the Smash fandom is a saint either.

I've seen too much examples of how bad it is, and it's more than just the competitive Smashers or Melee vs X Relevant Smash.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Gardevoir: "You just want her in because she's your waifu." I'm currently running a male Gardevoir in Ultra Moon, thank you very much.
Shantae: "She's far too skimpy." Exposed navel!? Oh, it's all too much! *collapse*
Tsareena: "She isn't suitable for kids!" Counterpoint: :ultbayonetta::ultbayonetta::ultbayonetta::ultbayonetta::ultbayonetta:

There's probably a million more but there were the ones off the top of my head.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
"Shantae won't be revealed during the Nindie Direct because it'll overshadow everything else."

Yeah 'cause I totally won't stay to see what else is announced and see if there's anything else I'd like. Who knows. Undertale and Skullgirls might finally announce those release dates I've been waiting to hear.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
That banjo is to similar to Duck Hunt.
I know right?
Banjo is a bear, and Duck Hunt is a Dog.
Kazooie and Duck is a species of bird.

I guess Isabelle & Gulliver could be a great echo!

(no seriously. The Banjo being similar to DH is just too crazy.)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Got a few more:

Dante
- realistic guns (ok, you got me there)
- “crossovers on Nintendo systems don’t count” (tell that to Cloud)
- “it’s gonna be that godawful reboot design” (yeah no, if both PXZ games are any indication, they both use the familiar and beloved classic design)

Neku
- “Who?” (Apparently you’ve never played TWEWY)
- “Standalone game character” (said standalone game was also VERY successful, got an iOS enhanced port, and will get a Switch port with even more content in two months and we may even get a sequel)
- “We’d sooner get Geno” (I mean you never know)

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Swordfighter.

Who I’m talking about doesn’t even matter, it’s a moronic argument for any character.
Not to argue, But people like me also just find most designs for swordfighter characters or JRPG protagonists in general outright generic and boring. ((Lloyd may as well be a Fire Emblem character for all I care, That’s how boring his design and general series’ art style is to me.))

To me and many others, Smash was a mascot fighter first and foremost. Of course that’s now debatable ever since Smash 4’s DLC and Bomberman being in as an assist trophy instead.

We really want more platformer/mascot types. That AREN’T Nintendo moreso.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Not to argue, But people like me also just find most designs for swordfighter characters or JRPG protagonists in general outright generic and boring. ((Lloyd may as well be a Fire Emblem character for all I care, That’s how boring his design and general series’ art style is to me.))

To me and many others, Smash was a mascot fighter first and foremost. Of course that’s now debatable ever since Smash 4’s DLC and Bomberman being in as an assist trophy instead.

We really want more platformer/mascot types. That AREN’T Nintendo moreso.
I don’t care what you want, it’s no excuse to piss on what other people want.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Chosen Undead:

“Dark Souls is too gritty for Smash!” We got Castlevania, dude.
“He’d just be a Link clone!” If you had the time to check the gameplay of Dark Souls, you’d think otherwise. Dark Souls is about timing, evasiveness and prediction, something that can be embodied in a moveset.
“He’s a blank slate character!” You could say the same for Villager, Miis and Inkling, and they made it in!
“I don’t want Chosen Undead because Dark Souls is too hard!” That’s subjective, plus, Ryu is in the game as currently the most technical character ever, so there’s that.

Mario123311

Smash Ace
I don’t care what you want, it’s no excuse to piss on what other people want.
And we wouldn’t, if other fans didn’t throw punches and insults at us to begin with, typically. :/

Seriously, I could name a few fandoms that have left a bad taste in my mouth, one of which is a series already represented in Smash known for mocking other IPs for being “niche” in comparison, saying how they don’t deserve anything because they won’t sell or some ****. Despite years passing by since failures like Other M and people unaware of why it sold badly.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Gardevoir: "You just want her in because she's your waifu." I'm currently running a male Gardevoir in Ultra Moon, thank you very much.
This is no way a good analogy. Gardevoir is waifu bait, period. She's a fan service character to its limits.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
This is no way a good analogy. Gardevoir is waifu bait, period. She's a fan service character to its limits.
I think you're missing the point of this thread.

Unless you want me to change my answer to "what you said."

UserKev

Smash Champion
I think you're missing the point of this thread.

Unless you want me to change my answer to "what you said."
I see that, but I just Really consider Gardevoir forbidden, its serious with what she tragically has defaulted with her (in your face) image now.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I find most arguments against characters to be quite laughable in the long run. There may be characters I’m against in the grand scheme of things, or I see as less deserving than others, but I’m also just mostly fine with characters as long as the pandering doesn’t lean too much into one particular franchise or situation. I think Smash 4 may have had too much bias on recent characters, and Smash Ultimate seems to be going the opposite direction generally speaking, so overall they make a more balanced roster.

As long as characters are interesting and/or requested, I don’t see the problem.

Which leads me to the actual most hated arguments I’ve seen for characters.

The first is that “They’re just supported by a loud minority of fans” which is often disingenuous because those communities are often significantly bigger than people say, and, really, do you have a problem making people happy?

Second is of course “irrelevance” as if Smash doesn’t often celebrate lesser parts of Nintendo history. The amount of back bending people will then do to justify characters like ROB and Ice Climbers in the game versus whoever is being discussed is downright absurd. Also, even we adhere by Retro pick rules, a ton of characters now qualify as retro and don’t exclusively originate from the NES.

I’ll also give a nice honorable mention to the third party situations in which people claim all kinds of things about who that third party would prefer in the game like they have proof that even matters. I see this A LOT with detractors of Banjo Kazooie and Geno.

Another small note is that I do see people making notes of Cloud not having history with Nintendo and that meaning Master Chief has the same place. Which is a little disingenuous to me because Halo as a franchise has nothing to do with Nintendo (A Minecraft texture pack doesn’t actually count) while Final Fantasy has a storied history, which Cloud more represents. I’m not saying that is a direct indication of his viability, but I do want to acknowledge those situations as distinctly different.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
That banjo is to similar to Duck Hunt.
I'm not even a supporter of Banjo but THAT is the STUPIDEST one out of them all. Literally all the ones I read on here I either laughed or was like "that's stupid" but this ONE takes the cake. The only stupider one I've seen is K.Rool "because he's owned by Rare!" Duck Hunt and Banjo would play NOTHING alike. **** the only move I could see even possibly being similar is the up-B.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I don't see this criticism too often, but when occasionally i see it, it makes me angry:
About Adeleine from the Kirby series: "She has 1 hp, she's too weak"

Aside that in Kirby Star Allies she can defeat the final boss just fine, she has definitely more than just 1 hp in that game.
This argument is super stupid because Mario also has 1 hp (2 with the mushroom); this didn't stop him from being in Smash since Smash 64; I believe the Ice Climbers have 1 hp as well, and maybe some others too.
That other Kirby character who has a lot of supporters, can be defeated in one hit by just being inhaled.

Anyway it's true that she's physically weak, in Kirby Star Allies she has less health than the other characters and she's been referenced as an hard mode by the developers. That's positive IMO, it's something that makes her different than most other characters, like Pichu who damages himself by attacking. To balance her weakness, they should build her moveset around being elusive, in a similar way as Sonic, but using creative tricks instead of pure speed.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I don't see this criticism too often, but when occasionally i see it, it makes me angry:
About Adeleine from the Kirby series: "She has 1 hp, she's too weak"

Aside that in Kirby Star Allies she can defeat the final boss just fine, she has definitely more than just 1 hp in that game.
This argument is super stupid because Mario also has 1 hp (2 with the mushroom); this didn't stop him from being in Smash since Smash 64; I believe the Ice Climbers have 1 hp as well, and maybe some others too.
That other Kirby character who has a lot of supporters, can be defeated in one hit by just being inhaled.

Anyway it's true that she's physically weak, in Kirby Star Allies she has less health than the other characters and she's been referenced as an hard mode by the developers. That's positive IMO, it's something that makes her different than most other characters, like Pichu who damages himself by attacking. To balance her weakness, they should build her moveset around being elusive, in a similar way as Sonic, but using creative tricks instead of pure speed.
We have Wii Fit Trainer, who's just a normal fit fitness trainer.

So Adeleine being weak is hardly an issue for Smash.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Perhaps write a few more;

Crash Bandicoot; "He's a Sony PlayStation character!" First of all "was", and second of all. Did you know that Crash had 5 exclusive titles on Nintendo consoles? And that he was only considered a mascot for the first PS? Also, he holds bigger ties to Nintendo than Master Chief for example, or anything Microsoft related with the exception of maybe Banjo & Kazooie. (Could have said Minecraft, but that's not history, that's current)

Heihachi Mishima; "He's from a fighting game, remember how Sakurai don't want that in Smash!" Well ... First of all there is subject a) Little Mac. "But he's a Nintendo all-star character!", does not matter, Sakurai and co made him work, which is nice! and Little Mac is no bigger of an Icon than Tekken's main guy himself. And subject b) Ryu from Street Fighter. Sakurai stated this before Ryu, but went ahead anyways. He tried to make Heihachi work, which means he care for the guy, and might just revisit the character, like Chrom.

Isaac; "NO ONE remembers Golden Sun or Isaac. Why do you think he was scrapped after Brawl?". OK, the series is dormant, we can agree on that, but that does not mean people have forgot about either Isaac or Golden Sun. Have you seen the cult following Isaac has had since Brawl? Isaac's fans has not forgotten him, and he does have a lot of moves to pull from to be unique. The series might have made him less of a priority, but with the Ballot, he has atleast shown up on the radar of Sakurai and co, 100% sure of.

Next one is a bit tricky, but I'll try. It's tricky because he is not that often talked about;

Doshin the Giant; "He is too big! I don't see any moveset potential. He is obscure as hell, why would Sakurai pick him? He's game only came out in Europe and Japan. Also he fits better as a stage/hazard/assist trophy!" Alright, that's a lot, but let's go over them, shall we?

1. Size is not an issue in Smash. Ridley and Olimar proves that. Also, he's whole gimmick in the game is about changing size, so it would only come natural for Doshin to change size if any.

2. Doshin is the incarnation of the bloody sun. He can turn into a demon. Check out my support thread for more inspiration.

3. Obscure? True, but is not that what Sakurai likes to give us? He'd be the perfect surprise. Also being exclusive to some regions has not been an issue in the past. (except for Takamaru, still, Marth, Roy in Melee and Lucas still)

4. True, Doshin is an interesting case, since he fits "Everything". I've heard good ideas of him being a stage, a hazard on a stage and him being an Assist Trophy, and honestly, I would not mind any, as long as there is anything Doshin related, I'd be satesfied, but I still want him as a playable character. He is a pipedream of mine.

That will be it for now.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Dovahkiin:

"Ugh, just because a game is ported to Switch doesn't mean it's should get a character!"
...well, Skyrim is one of the few Western games to score a 40/40 on Famitsu, and it was used to show off the Switch's capabilities as more graphically powerful...considering that's been one of the main hits against Nintendo from fans of other companies. There's a reason they wanted to use Skyrim as the second game showed off on the console - it wasn't Mario Odyssey there. They wanted to show that the Switch wasn't just the 'babies and nostalgia goggles' console. It seems that Skyrim wasn't just a port, it was a port for a reason.

"Western third parties don't belong in Smash!"
...Why not? The US game market is ridiculously large, and has contributed to video game history as well. It's impossible to consider the entire history of games while discarding the rest of the planet. Honestly, this is as fanrule-y as saying that no thrid party should be in, and Brawl proved that one wrong.

"He's just an avatar swordsman without a set personality"
...as is Robin - the Dragonborn's got a set appearance they used in all of the marketing. Besides, the marketing has also shown him dual-wielding (which is not in Smash) or using a shield offensively (unlike Link's passive shielding), both of which are unique styles. Not to mention the potential for giving him a different weapon like a battleaxe, which is also unique. On top of that, the game is known for the dragon shouts, which allow him to have more than just swordplay for specials.
Also, Skyrim is one of the major influences that the Legend of Zelda team looked to when designing Breath of the Wild. So it's more than the fact that it was ported to Nintendo, since it also helped inspire one of Nintendo's all-time biggest games.

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Agumon: not from a video game, He more from a game than R.O.B is
Wait! What? It's 2018, and we still have folks out here thinking Digimon started as an anime? Digimon is
pair.jpg
for boys. If Tamagotchi doesn't count as a game, then I'm not sure how
1280px-Game_and_Watch_-_FLAGMAN.jpg
is a thing in Smash. I'm not saying I want Agumon in Smash but if someone wants to discredit the character at least do so for a real reason.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Also, Skyrim is one of the major influences that the Legend of Zelda team looked to when designing Breath of the Wild. So it's more than the fact that it was ported to Nintendo, since it also helped inspire one of Nintendo's all-time biggest games.
I’d always thought that and it definitely feels like it, I just never saw it officially confirmed.

Kinda funny that it seemingly went full circle - Skyrim Switch ended up putting the Zelda gear in for the port, and allowed an extra eye color so you could basically make Link a Wood Elf and play him through the game.

D

Deleted member

Zael

[Insert "generic anime swordsman" comment here]

Yes, the fact that he uses a sword automatically makes him a clone. /s

Crash

"He's associated more with Sony!"

*Looks at Snake and Cloud, as well as Sakurai telling his fans to ignore console wars*

"B-b-but the N. Sane Trilogy is his only Nintendo appearance!"

Where have you been for the past decade and a half?
  • Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex (GC)
    Crash Bandicoot: The Huge Adventure (GBA)
  • Crash Bandicoot 2: N-Tranced (GBA)
  • Crash Nitro Kart (GC, GBA)
  • Crash Bandicoot Purple: Ripto's Rampage (GBA)
  • Crash Tag Team Racing (GC)
  • Crash Boom Bang! (DS)
  • Crash of the Titans (Wii, GBA, DS)
  • Crash: Mind over Mutant (Wii, DS)
  • Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy (Switch)

"But his older and more well-received games were initially exclusive to PlayStation!"

I mean, Richter's original and more well-received game started as an exclusive to a competing console as well. The SNES only got a butchered port in the form of Dracula X, and it wouldn't be until 2008 in Japan and 2010 in other regions that Rondo of Blood finally made it to Wii VC. Most Metal Gear games on Nintendo platforms were either ports or remakes of earlier games on other systems. And FFVII wasn't even on Nintendo in any form whatsoever.

"He has no moveset potential though."

Spinning, sliding, body slamming, the bazooka, maybe even some of his vehicles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Well, the only character I really want in is Geno, so naturally, there are a few common arguments against him that I just can't help but chuckle at when I see them come up:
  • "He's irrelevant!!"/"Kids today won't recognize him!"
K. Rool, Little Mac, any of the Retros (b-b-but they don't count!!!), Captain Falcon, Mega Man, either of the Earthbound boys, Dark Samus, Olimar... should I go on?

Honestly, I thought the whole relevancy meme was little more than a silly fad even before K. Rool's reveal, which seems to be when everyone collectively decided the relevancy argument is dead. Let's be real, so-called "relevancy" was never a requisite for admission to Smash, and the mental gymnastics I've seen some try to pull in order to justify folks like K. Rool and the Retros in accordance to this fanmade relevancy rule are just ridiculous. Besides, it's not like the roster's exactly hurting for "recognizable" characters as is; as long as they have enough familiar faces to put on the front of the box, they're basically good.
  • "He's an insignificant side character in a spinoff from 22 years ago, no way is he important enough to be playable!"
Huh, I never knew being a main party member in an RPG also makes you an "insignificant side character" in said RPG. Even outside of SMRPG being a damn fine game and super important to bringing western fans around to RPGs, Geno is easily one of the most persistently requested characters of all time (denying this is misinformed at best and outright revisionist at worst) to the point where many Smash fans and even some non-Smash fans recognize him as "that guy people want in Smash." That alone makes him significant enough to have earned a spot in my eyes, especially considering Sakurai seems to be trying to resolve all the long-standing character requests this time around in some way or another. If anything, the fact that Geno's managed to stand the test of time and remain as popular as he has despite only having one true appearance to his name should be considered an admirable feat, not a critical flaw.
  • "Who?"
Maybe you should do your research or, I dunno, play some good RPGs in your spare time if you even have to ask this question. :roll:
  • "Mario has enough characters as is, Geno would be pushing it too far!"
Way I see it, as Nintendo's #1 flagship franchise and the face of gaming as a whole, Mario is pretty much entitled to as many playable reps as it damn well pleases. It'd take a lot for the Mario series to be truly "overrepresented," in my humble opinion.
  • "Meme pick!!"
genolaugh.gif

I lol'd.

Last edited:
Top Bottom