• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is your gamertag and how did you get it?

looking guy

Smash Cadet
So I've been playing smash for a while now but for some reason I haven't been able to come up with a cool gamertag and I just wanted to know how you guys got yours so I could maybe get some ideas.

Derpnaster

Smash Journeyman
My tag is Sniped, which I earned in PM because I have a nasty habit of hitting snipes with Link from crazy positions.

20XXwingleborgXxx

Smash Apprentice
Some friends ****ed up my lastname Wingborg and called me Wingleborg, and i stuck with it besause that was what everyone called me!
Btw you have to be premium to change it on the boards xD

Last edited:

Doomguy36

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sled234
3DS FC
0361-9666-1894
Huh. Well, my gamertag is Doomguy36, and I honestly have no Idea where it came from. The name just stuck I guess.

Chainz

Sleepy Chainz
Premium
3DS FC
1075-1816-9029
Chainz, used to be 2Chainz cause all my friends would call me that back when I wore 2 chains lol

I only wear one now so it's just Chainz.

notkaleb

Smash Rookie
i dont have one lol... only thing ive ever went by in life was my first or last name

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My name on Everything is either Psycho or PsychoIncarnate

Kind of picked at random. I was the villain and I needed an intimidating name, so I named it after the Alfred Hitchcock thriller.

It was my avatar in Command and Conquer

When Tiberian Sun came out, I used the "Cyborg Commando" as an avatar so I switched from Psycho to PsychoIncarnate to reflect the character being reborn.

The Butt Rumbler

Smash Rookie
Well... I was bored on Steam one day and was bored of being called Sacred after having that name for 5+ years between Steam and Xbox, so I wanted to change it to something semi-troll yet goofy. This name was the result of that.

Questriolu

Smash Cadet
When I went to play a game that I ran into, that is Roblox, I tried to think of a name.

After some long thinking, and hitting myself in the head with a brick, I came up with Questriolu.

Named after my favorite Pokemon, and the Quest part is just something stupid to think of, I just tried to be a little creative(But I failed DX)

So yeah, it stuck with me for almost 5 years.

Then I changed to Questklonoa, shortly after being a fan of the Klonoa series.

Spennicus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
groovysmithy
3DS FC
2750-1131-0443
My tag is a reference to a popular TV show here in Canada called Kenny vs. Spenny, and my real name is Spencer.

Nona

Power of the Nonado♥
Nona was the name I gave my Corrin for FE:Fates. It just kinda rang in my head and I thought it sounded nice.
Later on, I google it and learn it's also the name of the Roman equivalent of Clotho, one of the three Fates in Greek mythology, which turned out to be fitting.
As a prefix it means "nine", which also works since I can't even pick one main.

It's also much more pleasant to type and use as an alias compared to my old tag CannotGrasp :facepalm:

SSG SAX GAMER

Smash Apprentice
Mine is SSG SAX GAMER on the ps4, I got ssg because I love dragon ball z, sax because I love playing the saxophone, and gamer because that's what I am. My avatar is ssg blue vegito because he was my favorite character from the series and ssg blue is my favorite transformation

IoSSBM

Smash Cadet
Flipped through an old 6th grade science textbook I had, found Io (moon of Jupiter) and slapped SSBM on the end.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I used to use the name Sari because a friend gave it to me but it sounds too girly and I wish I could change it.

Now, I go by the name BC, which is just the initials of my first and last name.

Darth Tobito

Smash Cadet
NNID
darth_tobito
Tobi (Full tag: Darth Tobito) because I was a big Naruto fan back in high school and this youtuber, Sawyer7Mage, would make reviews that were really funny about Naruto chapters. One chapter was about Madara meeting Obito so he titled it, "Darth Tobito... Yes, Master?...Rise..." I'm also a big fan of Star Wars so I decided to take the name for myself. I shortened it to Tobi to make TO's read off my name quicker and to fit it into the Melee tag because of the 4 character limit.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I use "WoodwindsRock" because I really love a lot of woodwind instruments. In reality I'd prefer it to encompass brass instruments as well, but there really isn't an easy term to cover both of them, I'm afraid, and nowadays I only play woodwinds, and my top favorite instruments are woodwinds, so... I'll shut up now, promise

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
Because I learned about Leif Eriksson in this one Viking history class thingy and I thought he was just the most badass person to ever live. I've used the name so much sometimes I get confused if people are talking about me or the Viking lol.

Doctor Wario

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4313-0727-2141
My gamertag is usually GPOfficial. My friends/teachers always call me GP, so I just had to add something else.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Xbox 360 New Gamertag suggestion. It Stuck to me until my friends would call me glitch sometimes. Now i would just call myself The_Glitch. However changing usernames here are only limited to a few...

OOz

Smash Rookie
NNID
soga2013
3DS FC
1779-0380-2341
I just use OOz as my tag.
It's just my initials and the second letter of my last name.
It's short, simple and it's flexible as there isn't a "right" way to say it.
Not much more to really say.
It's at least better than… idk… VillagerMaster666 or something.

GuffMcGufferson

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3869-7120-5996
On Xbox 360 and PS4, I have my gamertag as SilkyFountain. It was a free name I randomly got from picking out a new gamertag without coming up with a new one (I could've used my current name, GuffMcGufferson, but that was back before I had that name) on the 360. I just picked it and kept it for some time, and soon enough, I got used to it. It's still my gamertag on 360, and I decided to keep it when creating my PSN account.

As for my current one, GuffMcGufferson... I got it from this video. I added the "McGufferson" part myself. :p

Last edited:

Chief Hotsuin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blue-Rob
3DS FC
3411-3937-1436
Well, for some reason, l first thought going in with the name "Chief Hotsuin" was a good idea. Yamato Hotsuin is a character in the SMT Devil Survivor 2 RPG, he's a megalomaniac basically hell bent on changing the world into a dog-eat-dog world. Survival of the fittest! (Spoilers, btw) Way back before l actually socialized with anyone that played Smash, l thought this sounded like me.

Well, no. l feel like as much of a **** as he is in game. l scratched my head for ideas. l want to keep Chief without possibly pissing off a company a little. l love the color blue, l use it all the time and wear neon blue to tournament whenever l can. Chief Blue Sounds bland so l looked up what blue was in various languages, since my girlfriend mentioned the option. Sininen is Finnish for Blue. Sininen sounds sexy as hell. Thus, Kheef Cinnamon was born.

Now, all l need is to do is tell my dad it's worth investing $5 to change my name on here to something l actually am. The struggles of a teenager without a credit card or bank account....

SaikaGaleforce

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0920-3121-7264
saika is a name from an anime that i picked up in an online community a couple of years ago, and galeforce is one of robin (my main)'s skills in awakening, i added the galeforce part because just "saika" was already taken here

BagrB0y

Smash Cadet
Currently referring to an inside joke between me and a Co-worker, although previously it was Crash (referring to a pet rat I had) or Crashstash5 (same thing but also mentioning a stash she had under the couch and with a '5' Runescape recommended I add to the name in mid-2000's)

Top Bottom