• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda What is your favorite, second favorite, underrated, and least favorite Zelda games?

D

Deleted member

So I thought I would ask you guys what your favorite, second favorite, underrated,and least favorite games in the Zelda series are.

Mine:
Favorite: Breath of The Wild
Second Favorite: Majora's Mask
Underrated: Skyward Sword
Least Favorite: Wind Waker

Next time I'll do Metroid! :)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Favorite is Wind Waker
Second favorite is Majora's Mask
Underrated is Skyward Sword.
Least favorite is the Oracle games.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
I haven't played much LoZ, but I will still give my opinion

Favorite: Ocarina of Time. Not that far into it, but man I love how immersive this game is.
2nd: the Original. Underrated, simple yet very fun. Ahead of its time.
Underrated: I remember kinda liking the Oracle games, even though I haven't finished it. I also have barely started A Link to the Past, but ALttP is very well liked, so I can't call it "underrated."
Most hated: LoZ 2; Adventure of Link- Not a fan of the side scrolling platforming. I like the risk they took, but it feels like platforming and side scrolling done wrong. Not for me.

Grevmak

Smash Cadet
Haven't played Zelda in a good while, last one has been BOTW and a few years before the OOT remake but I'll give it a shot and update it when I eventually do a marathon of the entire franchise - minus the CD-I games for...Obvious reasons. I'll mostly list the 3D games as those are fresher in my memory.

Favorite: Majora's Mask
Second Favorite: Got none, most others take the same spot I'd say
Least Favorite: Breath of the Wild

Explanation:

Favorite - Majora's Mask. The oppressive atmosphere, the focus on the time mechanic and a really fun gimmick in the masks made for a very enjoyable and memorable experience. The dungeons were excellent, with lots of cool stuff to find and the fairies made for a nice thing to collect for me. The sidequests had storylines that outshined some games' actual storylines and were really well done, too. Just a really good game that was different from what people expected!

Second Favorite: None. I like many different Zelda games for different reasons, so this one is a bit hard for me as it's been a while. I loved Twilight Princess' combat with the addition of the occult techniques, Wind Waker had this cool overworld to explore and the feel of adventure was great, Ocarina of Time is not only nostalgic but I genuinely feel it is just very solid in every aspect that made 3D zeldas good.

Underrated: Skyward Sword. Because your Wii mote didn't work the game's bad? That's a bit silly. Yes, the complaint was filed by many, and it definetly exists, but that's more to do with the peripheral, less with the game itself. While it was really linear, it had a very solid supporting character in Groose, Zelda actually being built up as a person instead of the person of prophecy so you have to save her etc. and seeing her freeze herself with Link being visually upset was wholesome as hell.

Combat was fun as hell and the game had some great and some mediocre bosses and dungeons. A very mixed bag for sure, but I loved it to death when it released.

Least Favorite: Breath of the Wild. Oh look, an open world game and its world is open. I didn't buy it, only borrowed it from a buddy, and I played for a dozen or so hours before realizing that it may be called Zelda, but is an open world game. I can't stand this genre, since they all feature pretty shallow gameplay, the Shrines were really repetitive and the puzzles way too simple and the parts I loved most about Zelda - side quests and dungeons - were pretty much gone or too different for me to enjoy. It's obviously a good game and people love it, which is great, but it's absolutely not for me. I could go on for a while on why I dislike open world games that are vaguely similar, like Skyrim, but that'd be VERY annecdotal so let's keep it at me not liking what makes the genre.

Combat's never complex in Zelda, nor are the puzzles I realize that, but BOTW was too simple for me to enjoy. The whole "The dungeon is a puzzle in itself" thing Mark Brown talked about in his Boss Keys videoseries said what I was thinking while playing pretty well, can only recommend the videos on an unrelated note.

Last edited:

_sneaK

Smash Apprentice
Favorite: Majoras Mask
Second: Ocarina of Time
Underrated: Links Awakening
Least favorite: Spirit Tracks

Majoras Mask has been my favorite ever since I played it all those years ago, and my love for it has only grown over time. The feeling of sadnesses and gloom and everyone's odd cheerful feeling in this inexplainable and doomed world, and Link must assume the faces of others to save them. I can't quite put my affection for this game into words fully, but this game is a true gem.

Ocarina of Time isn't my second favorite for the reason you may be thinking. It's not because it's critically acclaimed or I'm hopping on a bandwagon, but as the first Zelda game I ever played, or beat for that matter, it holds a special place in my heart, wrapped in nostalgia for the land of Hyrule and the classical tale of the Heroes quest to save the land from evil.

Links Awakening is this bizarre story where you collect instruments to wake up a big fish in this exotic metaphysical dream island Link finds himself in. It's really cute and charming, and I'm kinda saddened that more people haven't come enjoy it as well.

Spirit Tracks is the only Zelda game I never felt compelled to beat. I'm sorry, but even if this is unpopular with some, but the whole train thing is just... dumb. I wasn't engaged to do much in this game built around the... good gracious... hero of trains. It didn't feel very Zelda like in my opinion.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Second Favorite: Twilight Princess
Underrated: Links Awakening
Least Favorite: Adventure of Link

LisaDoddTheSuperKirby

Smash Rookie
Favorite: Majora n64
Second: Twilight
Underrated Four Swords
Meh: Ocriena of time
Despise: Spirit Tracks.

Majora on n64 is just so dark and i love it. houses in castle town are covered in crap and infested in roaches. the story is compelling. but the 3ds ones too clean and they took away zora swim without using magic.
Twilight on gamecube is just magic. The wii imo was not there yet with the motion controls. the whole wolf thing is just so... wow. impa is quite quirky and the battles are intense.
Fourswords is just plain fun. I understand if u don't have anyone to play with but with it, its great.
Spirit tracks is wayyyyyyyyy too grind-y.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Favorite: Tie between Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask

Second Favorite: Link's Awakening DX

Underrated: Skyward Sword, Minish Cap, Spirit Tracks, and Link's Crossbow Training

Never happened: Wand of Gamelon/Faces of Evil

Though there isn't a (canon) Zelda game I didn't enjoy; extremely solid series overall.

Last edited:

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman
So I thought I would ask you guys what your favorite, second favorite, underrated,and least favorite games in the Zelda series are.

Mine:
Second Favorite: Majora's Mask
Next time I'll do Metroid! :)
Fave: Ocarina of Time
Second: Majora’s Mask
Underrated: Minish Cap
Least: Skyward Sword
Metroid
Fav: Zero Mission
Second: Metroid Prime Trilogy (haven’t played it, but it contains the second one, so I assume it’s at least as good as that one was.)
Underrated: Fusion
Least: Super

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Favorite: Tie between Breath of The Wild and the Legend of Zelda, BOTW isn't perfect, but it's easily the most fund I had with a Zelda since OOT. It changed the series in all the best ways. I can't wait to see how future games improve on the new formula. TLOZ is just a short, fun game I can pick up and play in one afternoon. There's no other Zelda I can knock out in just an afternoon. I kinda value that in a game. I hope we get a Zelda maker some day so we can get endless quests.

Second Favorite: A Link to the Past tied with Ocarina of Time. ALTTP perfected the 2D formula. OOT established the 3D formula and, though it was copied many times, it didn't quite get bumped off until they completely ditched the old formula.

Underrated: I'm gonna say the Legend of Zelda again. A lot of people, especially younger plays, try the game out, not only judging it by the standards of today, but also not even taking the time to learn how things in the game even work. I can't count the number of times i've encountered someone saying that you literally can't beat the game without a guide. It's honestly not a hard game to master, you just need to be really observant, learn how certain enemies behave, and pick up on which enemies are likely to drop which items, and where said enemies can be found... all of this info is easy to find in the instruction book, but you can learn all this stuff without it. I beat the game for the first time via Animal Crossing's collectible NES games back when I had no internet connection and my friends couldn't help me either.

Least Favorite: Both of the DS games. Those controls really wrecked the experience for me. Not to mention those awful note-taking puzzles. I'm extra salty because I love the Wind Waker, and the Toon Shading art style, but Phantom Hourglass was a TERRIBLE sequel to TWW, and the DS butchered the beautiful toon shading art style, plus, it feels like the character design was overall much less pleasant and weird compared to TWW. I want at least one more original Zelda game that uses the toon style in HD before it's retired for good.

NineLannister

Smash Rookie
NNID
NineLannister
Switch FC
SW 2787 1144 8408
Favorite: Majora's Mask
Second Favorite: Twilight Princess
Underrated: A Link Between Worlds
Least Favorite: Phantom Hourglass

And side mention that Breath of the Wild is probably tied with Twilight Princess for second favorite. Zelda games are just the raddest.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Favorite: Windwaker
2nd: Breath of the Wild
Underrated: Original. I personally prefer it to ALTTP.
Least Favorite: I haven’t played the CD-I games so, I think it’s Zelda II. That game meant well, but kinda missed the target a bit

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Favorite: Ocarina of Time
2nd Favorite: Breath of The Wild
Underrated: Original
Haven't played enough to have a least favorite

D

Deleted member

• Favorite: Tie between Breath of The Wild and Twilight Princess
  • Second Favorite: Majora's Mask