• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is With the Roster of this Game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mental Surge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GisR FTG
3DS FC
4098-5877-7114
I swear at least half of the roster is designed around running away and spamming projectiles. It's such an easy strategy that anyone can do and it's so effective, especially online. I mean did we really need THREE links? Damn, it's so much fun having to chase the other player down while avoiding boomerangs, bombs, arrows, etc. and the same thing goes for samus. We effectively have 3 samus' now with samus, dark samus and mii gunner. Then of course there's duck hunt, a complete noncharacter that has no right being in the game, WFT (another noncharacter that has NO right being in the game) can do the same. Just run away, spam volleyballs and charge shots. Then of course there's pikachu, pichu and mario where any decent player will be spamming lightning/fireballs nonstop. Then there's megaman and joker which are a ton of fun to play against /s. ROB who's also designed to just run away, charge gyro and spam lasers, and of course zelda who is now possibly the most annoying fighting game character ever conceived. We now have 2 castlevania characters that are entirely based around spamming **** and running away, palutena is a nightmare now too. Every wolf player just mashes their neutral special like there's no tomorrow, then you've got bowser junior who just spams cannon balls and koopas, etc. The absolute worst though for projectile spamming has to be snake. I don't understand why the hell they designed a character like this in this game or brawl for that matter. Every fight against a snake is just a cluster**** of explosives and tiny pixels you have to avoid on the map (which can be insanely hard to see on certain maps).

I almost feel like I am playing a third person shooter at times. How the hell is this fun? Now to be fair, I don't mind pikachu and mario spamming their projectiles as much since they are still designed around close combat. Using projectiles to create an opening I am fine with. However there are FAR too many characters who's kits are based around practically nothing but projectiles and they can get away with just running away from you all game.

And that's just how annoying the roster is mechanically. I don't understand why like half of the roster is even in this game. Yeah, screw Shantae, Banjo Kazooie, Spyro, Crash, Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, Jack and Daxter, Rayman, Conker, Doomguy, Master Chief, Ori, Hollow Knight, etc. Nah what people really want is the dog from duck hunt for the NES. Or the wii fit trainer. Ah yes, such memorable characters. I don't know how people can say Geno shouldnt be in the game because he's from one old SNES title........ when we have duckhunt in the game who's only been in one game which is even older than Geno's. And the dog from duckhunt isn't even a real character. Nah forget Shantae, who's been a Nintendo-only character from 2002 until a couple years ago, who's a great character and has so much potential for a unique moveset, etc. nah what people really want is villager - a nameless npc from animal crossing. Seriously, why wasn't Isabelle the first and only character from the series to be in smash? And do we really need 50 FE characters? What's even worse is that all of them are swordfighters despite the fact that there is so much variety in the fire emblem games.... so why the hell is every single one of them in smash yet another damn swordfighter? Other characters from franchises that are already represented would have been great too like Krystal, Dixie Kong, Gengar or Waluigi... but no, what we needed was Piranha Plant. Wut.

And I know what the obvious responses are going to be:

"Many of those characters are third party and their games are not even on nintendo consoles"

Cloud has never been on a Nintendo console as far as I know, Snake is most known for all of his playstation games, Sonic only recently started being on nintendo consoles and is owned by sega, etc. it's pretty obvious that there are no concrete rules for the roster and that essentially anyone can be in the game.

"Some of those characters are from mature games and would not be appropriate"

Snake and Bayonetta are in the game so clearly Nintendo can censor them enough.

"Their game mechanics are too limited to have any potentially interesting movesets"

Every character I listed (and that's just a random list I made up on the spot. There are far more characters that would be great in smash) has enough in their games for a smash moveset. Hell if you can put the dog from duck hunt in the game and make up a moveset then you can have a moveset for literally any character ever. In fact CF's moveset was entirely made up in smash 64.

"It's their game they can do what they want."

No kidding. I am not saying they are not within their rights to bring in whatever stupid noncharacter they want. I do however have the right to voice my opinion on it. Are they going to change because I am speaking out (I have made this argument on numerous sites)? Probably not but at least there's a chance something will get through. At the end of the day I am a paying costumer and I can say what I want even if it will probably be ignored.

"Most of those characters are uninteresting or havent been around that long"

Inkling has not been around very long and neither has WFT or Corrin and probably a bunch of others. In addition there are tons of characters that are completely uninteresting and were obviously just put in the game as a joke. DH, WFT, Villager and Piranha Plant don't even have names.

" many of those characters are too obscure"

Really? Master Chief, Spyro, Crash, Shantae, etc. are too obscure? How about Mr. Game and Watch? Or Ice Climbers? or ROB, a literal console accessory from the 80's? or half the FE roster to anyone outside of Japan? I'm willing to bet not many people know anything about Palutena, Dark Samus, Dark pit, Rosalina and Luna, etc.

I mean at the end of the day, Nintendo would make money from the dlc, and the devs of those games would probably support it as well as they would benefit too. I'm actually surprised at how stupid Nintendo is being with Ultimate. They could release faaaaaaaar more than 5 DLC characters and make so much money while pleasing people that wanted their favorite character in the game. But no, of course not.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Duck Hunt, ROB and Wii Fit may be way more integral to Nintendo's history or setting than Sony-exclusive Ratchet and Clank and Jak and Daxter ever were, as well as being oddball, unique roster choices. Plus Everyone is Here meant they had to have every character from the past, no matter what you thought of their inclusion.

Like, I want Crash in too, but they've hardly done a bad job of inclusion just cause he or others weren't in there.

~?~

The Strangest Link Main
I swear at least half of the roster is designed around running away and spamming projectiles. It's such an easy strategy that anyone can do and it's so effective, especially online.
Anyone doing what that quote says are almost always getting OBLITERATED by players like myself, or anyone who competes in a competitive offline environment. Runaway spam doesn't work to the degree you think it does. It just works against players who can't neutral game well enough to not care about bad projectile spam strategies. I've never had a single issue getting around projectile spam (because the shield button and parry option exists) nor do I do it myself, even tho as you assume my character is "designed around running away and spamming projectiles". I have far more success making smart neutral plays and doing Z drop aerial bomb reset combos than any Link who spams the B button near the ledge. FACTS.
It's only good online because 99 out of 100 players online are REALLY BAD at the game and make more excuses for them losing than they make improvement to prevent themselves from losing.
I'm also SHOCKED that a DDD main (the most obnoxious wifi character in the game) would be complaining about how obnoxious the roster is. You can't seriously be gordo carried by a super heavy and complaining about projectile spam at the same time... it just doesn't make sense my dude, just being honest.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It's also worth noting that projectile spamming gets shut down completely against fighters who can easily counter such strategies. And of course, if the projectiles lack the knockback strength to KO, you will eventually have to attack your opponent directly.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
This is basically just a rant thread and will now be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom