• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is the term "Committing"?

Nubby

Smash Cadet
I'd like to ask what the term committing means as in tournament sets the commentator will say "these players are trying not to commit" or "he commits to this option". It's also a term I can't really find on other sources and stuff. I would like to know what this term means and an example if you could in which you don't have to.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Generally a "high commitment" play is one that's also one that's higher in risk.

When player's are playing low commitment, they're mostly using safer moves and trying not to leave any big openings in their gameplans. Generally moves that are low in start up and/or endlag are considered as low commitment, as well-spaced moves with a lot of range. High commitment moves will generally be ones that leave you open, such as smash attacks or moves that are easily reacted to.

For Mario, a some examples of low commitment moves would be his Nair and Bair, since they have good frame data and are generally safe on shield. Some high commitment options he might use are F-Smash or Forward Air since they come out slow and a wiffed or blocked one will often leave an opening.

Generally skilled players only go for moves like these when they're confident they'll land them or won't be punished. So generally it's a good idea to start a game playing "low commitment" in neutral and then start using higher commitment moves more when you've figured out some of your opponent's weaknesses or habits.

Top Bottom