• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is the reason for nobody playing Samus?

Vincey_Boi

Smash Apprentice
I see so much people at weeklies and some online tournaments usually playing dark samus over regular samus & i can never seem to understand why. It just really does not add up all that well. Both characters are the exact same in speed,moves,aerials,combos except they have different names & designs. But yet many prefer dark samus over regular and I came here to see why they choose dark samus over samus, maybe it is because of cooler design but i dont really think so because there the same and if people thought dark samus had a cool design they would run her and samus seeing as how they both have exactly the same stuff. I did find that dark samus is very very very slightly faster than samus which is maybe why but not really because its a little bit of speed and it aint even that much. I dont know I came here because i was so baffled over this LoL what do u guys think of this?

Ode

Smash Rookie
Dark Samus for practice and tomfoolery, Samus for tryharding.
I care more about Samus and want to do her the justice she deserves. Dark Samus is for memes and walk cancelled crouchspamming.

There are days where I do one more than the other.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
In Elite Smash, I just end up being stuck with Dark Samus. Samus reaches the next level of GSP and I have to work my way up with Dark Samus. During that time, I risk losing GSP, so I have to work for it. I don't know why I'm not dropping with Samus at times to the point that I have to play as her more often. Offline, I use either one, but mostly Samus. I'll do the same in Public Arenas as well. I used Dark Samus in my first local tournament, though.

D

Deleted member

I main Samus and Dark Samus, lol.

I win a good number of matches both online and offline with them.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Not everyone is aware that there is little to no functional difference between Samus and Dark Samus. I remember there was some shoddy article on a site rating the Ultimate characters from best to worst, and it said that Dark Samus was more powerful than Samus, but didn't specify how. People who aren't very informed about the deeper levels of the game can easily mistake differences between the two that don't exist, not understanding that Dark Samus and other Echo Fighters aren't the same as clones, which isn't made any more intuitive due to Ken.

When we were analyzing pre-release footage here, there was a lot of debate as to what differences there might be, because just from sight without hands on the controller to easily compare, it was hard to tell. For example, one piece of footage used for Dark Samus was her using bombs to squeeze through a gap in Morph Ball form, which caused many people (including pros like ESAM) to jump to the conclusion that her bombs/Morph Ball had more horizontal movement than Samus, which was just flat out wrong.

Things were made even unclearer when the official Super Smash blog did its Dark Samus post and said "With floatier movement, she's a little different from Samus," which sparked discussion as to whether or not she genuinely had different movement attributes from Samus. After some analysis and debate, it was settled that the post was either in error or just referring to the characteristics of Dark Samus's animations, not her actual physics (e.g. her animations make her appear floatier, but in actuality she's the same weight as Samus), which turned out to be true in the final game. But it's not likely that everyone got the memo.

The aesthetic factor is a major part of it, though. Samus's design in Smash 4/Ultimate isn't exactly her most popular, whereas Dark Samus is one of the best-looking fighters in the game, with a lot of work put into her model, effects, and animations. I saw a lot of reactions from people who don't care about Metroid and have never played it once in their life, and when they saw Dark Samus they were immediately drawn into her appearance and her animations, despite not knowing who the character was or caring about the series at all, and some even said they'd try and play her. Perhaps some of those people ended up maining her.

Me, I'd been waiting 14-15 years for Dark Samus to join Smash, so she was my main from the second she was announced. Samus was only my tertiary in Smash 4, behind R.O.B. and Dedede.

nanananananan

Smash Rookie
Dark Samus looks just so cool compared to regular Samus: If Samus and Dark Samus hace different down-bs (like the Samus Returns counterattack or some phazon thing) there would be more reasons for selecting one or another, but Dark Samus just looks way better and brutal in general.

Anyway, I like Samus more.

Top Bottom