• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is the general consensus on Diddy's tier placement?

horizons889

Smash Apprentice
I see a lot of people rating him as high as top 3 or 5. But generally top 10-15. Where do you guys think he'll place in the final tier list roughly?

EDIT: I just saw the new BR tier list and it has diddy ranked as #1. Really? Better than Rosalina, Sheik, Zss? Etc? Him being #1 almost makes it seem like he's prepatch sheik or something. I hope he never gets nerfed again :X I do like the tier list though. - Anyways would like to hear diddy main's opinions still.

Last edited:

Ethan7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BulbapediaEditor
Someone has to be 1st unless the tier list is un-ordered. Most people put him in top 5, and the majority of voters for the 4BR tier list put Diddy in 1st. ZeRo doesn't like him being 1st on the 4BR tier list and thinks he's like 6th or 5th. I think he is top 5. I could see a lot of fighters being 1st.

horizons889

Smash Apprentice
Yeah that's the thing. Sheik, Rosalina, and ZSS to me can potentially be #1. Diddy being top 5 is a definite for me, but the best? Does this list suggest diddy kong is the best character in the game? Because that wouldn't be right. He's pretty even between the other top tiers.

I wish they put the S tier hero's in 'no order' since they are all debatably #1. I just really hope diddy won't get the nerfed again since he's put as first.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Diddy is most likely top 3. He has a favorable MU against ZSS, Mewtwo and Shiek. Also, he has a supposed favorable MU vs. Cloud, which really just relies on certain things. Also, he does pretty well vs. Bayonetta, but losses to Mario and doesn't do great vs. Sonic. I think he is a really good character, but like everyone else, has characters that can counterpick him.

Finearel

Smash Rookie
Yeah that's the thing. Sheik, Rosalina, and ZSS to me can potentially be #1. Diddy being top 5 is a definite for me, but the best? Does this list suggest diddy kong is the best character in the game? Because that wouldn't be right. He's pretty even between the other top tiers.

I wish they put the S tier hero's in 'no order' since they are all debatably #1. I just really hope diddy won't get the nerfed again since he's put as first.
ZSS is definitely not a contender for #1. Too many bad mus and the character is just too unsafe. I would even say that she isn't top 10.

D

Deleted member

In my opinion, Diddy is Top 5. Just like Sonicninja115 says, he struggles some MUs. His banana is a really good tool and it makes MUs completely Diddy-favored or in a bad MU that he doesn't lose entirely.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
I think #1 is accurate right now. But it's close, I think there's legit arguments for :4sheik::4mario::4cloud:to be there as well. And even the top 10 isn't too far apart from each other.

But the reason I think Diddy should be #1 at the moment is he's safer and more consistent than the above 3 against most of the cast due to his banana game allowing him to play pressure so safely, and having the best kill confirms in the game. He definitely has less jarring weaknesses than characters like :4cloud::4sheik::rosalina:.

And while I don't think his MU are any better than several other top tiers verses the other top tiers as a whole, Diddy to me has the edge because he just bodies most of the mid and low tiers unlike the other #1 contenders, sans Rosa maybe.

So I think he has a better MU spread overall when you consider the whole cast.

Last edited:

Zeke78

Smash Rookie
As you can see from reading this thread, there isn't one othere than top 10

Finearel

Smash Rookie
I think #1 is accurate right now. But it's close, I think there's legit arguments for :4sheik::4mario::4cloud:to be there as well. And even the top 10 isn't too far apart from each other.

But the reason I think Diddy should be #1 at the moment is he's safer and more consistent than the above 3 against most of the cast due to his banana game allowing him to play pressure so safely, and having the best kill confirms in the game. He definitely has less jarring weaknesses than characters like :4cloud::4sheik::rosalina:.

And while I don't think his MU are any better than several other top tiers verses the other top tiers as a whole, Diddy to me has the edge because he just bodies most of the mid and low tiers unlike the other #1 contenders, sans Rosa maybe.

So I think he has a better MU spread overall when you consider the whole cast.
I don't really agree with you. Diddy has several bad mus, it's just that a lot of people don't really know which characters beat him and the fact that he wins or goes even with most other top tiers. Diddys bad mus include: Rosa, Mega Man, Luigi, Olimar, Mario, Fox, it's also debatable that he loses to Cloud, Pikachu, Sonic or Sheik. But as I said, most of his bad mus are not among the most common in tournaments, so this might be an argument for him still being first. But imo Sonic and Cloud both have better mu spreads, so I would put them as first.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
I don't really agree with you. Diddy has several bad mus, it's just that a lot of people don't really know which characters beat him and the fact that he wins or goes even with most other top tiers. Diddys bad mus include: Rosa, Mega Man, Luigi, Olimar, Mario, Fox, it's also debatable that he loses to Cloud, Pikachu, Sonic or Sheik. But as I said, most of his bad mus are not among the most common in tournaments, so this might be an argument for him still being first. But imo Sonic and Cloud both have better mu spreads, so I would put them as first.
But that's all theory pretty much. To my knowledge Diddy hasn't been getting consistently beat against those characters at top level really other than Ally getting th ebest . And a lot of those MUs just don't happen hardly ever at top level. I think some of those are even, but I really don't see Diddy definitely losing any of those matchups other than Mario which I think he does lose at top level. He could lose to more, but I don't think there's enough data to prove it. At the very worst they're 45:55s.

I think you immediate have to throw out :rosalina:from the best in game argument since she gets hard countered by meta knight. :4mario:I think you have to throw out just because of how neutral-ish his MU spread is. He doesn't super body mid and low characters the way Diddy does. :4sheik:is the same thing, while she beats most all the cast she has a lot of +1s because of how prone she is to rage, she can always get rage janked. Diddy is just a lot safer than Sheik.

:4cloud:I think is a very close contender. You're right he could have a better MU spread. But lack of results and how prone he is to edgeguarding makes me put Diddy ahead. He's just a lot less safe and less consistent than Diddy.

:4sonic:I agree is a sleeper pick but he doesn't have Diddy's results and his raw frame data and less mixup options overall again makes me put Diddy at #1.

So yeah I don't necessarily disagree with you, and to each their own opinion, but I personally think Diddy is #1. It's a good debate that's for sure, but it's hard to not put Diddy in top 3 atleast. I will admit though I'm biased because I suck against Diddy Kong.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

You guys do know that Diddy's bad MU's are like 45/55 right? He doesn't have a single 35/65, and probably doesn't have a 40/60.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
That is until you learn how far Luma gets launched when you use MFK just once. And from there Rosa is combo food, but you still can't make much use of your banana due to gravity ; _ ;
And that is until you realize just spamming side b is unsafe as **** and easily gets diddy punished hard

Sonicninja115

And that is until you realize just spamming side b is unsafe as **** and easily gets diddy punished hard
It is a good option though. The risk/reward is pretty good. Although, it is best if you try to LC it and make sure to get the smash MFK to minimize the punish. From what I've seen, it negates the punish to a DA. However, if done improperly or if you get read a bit too well, then the rosa could grab or Usmash you. You still kill Luma though.

TL;DR, don't be dumb when using it.

Last edited:

Heart of Ice

Smash Cadet
Brah! I didn't mean run right into her shield. There are a couple of ways to sneak in a kick, but you gotta use the kick at the very last second to get the least amount of lag. Something I've been experimenting with is plucking a banana and chucking it at Rosa. Rosas almost always think they're being clever until the end lag of gravity sets in and then BAM MFK straight outta nowhere. This also makes some Rosas paranoid about even using gravity! You could also condition her to attack by just using the flip enough times, BUT that is not stylish enough for me. Also worth noting is that Diddy's jabs and F-Smash also knock Luma quite a bit back. Diddy's jab makes for good shield pressure, but I'll admit it isn't good for much else.

PS. If the Luma's not well positioned or if Rosa's shield has been worn down it won't even matter if MFK isn't safe on shield.

Last edited:
Top Bottom