• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is the future of Sm4sh online play? Still FREE?

mjwgamer805

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure if I'm just dumb and haven't heard/figured this out yet or if this is a relevant question.

When Nintendo finally releases their "online multiplayer experience" as a subscription that you pay for- will other online modes (such as Sm4sh) with previous Nintendo installments still be free? Will there be some sort of update on Wii U or maybe something with Nintendo's online servers that will change?

This seems like kind of a big deal for smash players...do I keep enjoying the free experience of Sm4sh online or "switch" to Smash 5 for a presumably better online experience that costs $$...?

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
It'll likely remain the same way Brawl online did after a few years, with the Wii U services eventually getting das boot further down the line.

I can't imagine it not being free until said point, however.

GoldTrainRider

Smash Cadet
I feel like if they discontinue Sm4sh Wii U online, they have to discontinue the one on the 3DS. Nintendo really wants to keep the 3DS family alive (evidence of them releasing the New 2DS XL) And I really think that untill smash 4 online dies, people won't stop playing it, but most people will pay online for the switch.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
It will stay free, since paid online is a Switch exclusivity. I would argue that the online might live until two or three years after the release of Smash Switch, maybe less for the Wii U version (Nintendo seems to want it dead as soon as possible).

At any rate, hopefully Smash Switch (be it a Smash 4 upgraded port or a brand new game), have better online functions, like ranked ladders, for a starter.

Top Bottom