What is the future of Sm4sh online play? Still FREE?

mjwgamer805

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure if I'm just dumb and haven't heard/figured this out yet or if this is a relevant question.

When Nintendo finally releases their "online multiplayer experience" as a subscription that you pay for- will other online modes (such as Sm4sh) with previous Nintendo installments still be free? Will there be some sort of update on Wii U or maybe something with Nintendo's online servers that will change?

This seems like kind of a big deal for smash players...do I keep enjoying the free experience of Sm4sh online or "switch" to Smash 5 for a presumably better online experience that costs $$...?

Last edited:

IsmaR

Have a cool day
Super Moderator
Premium
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
It'll likely remain the same way Brawl online did after a few years, with the Wii U services eventually getting das boot further down the line.

I can't imagine it not being free until said point, however.

Switch FC
(Pending)
I feel like if they discontinue Sm4sh Wii U online, they have to discontinue the one on the 3DS. Nintendo really wants to keep the 3DS family alive (evidence of them releasing the New 2DS XL) And I really think that untill smash 4 online dies, people won't stop playing it, but most people will pay online for the switch.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Switch FC
SW-8176-8978-3289
It will stay free, since paid online is a Switch exclusivity. I would argue that the online might live until two or three years after the release of Smash Switch, maybe less for the Wii U version (Nintendo seems to want it dead as soon as possible).

At any rate, hopefully Smash Switch (be it a Smash 4 upgraded port or a brand new game), have better online functions, like ranked ladders, for a starter.