• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is the first thing you look for when a match starts?

Mini_Mac

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G_Czech
So I have had this on my mind for quite a while. I was originally gonna ask it on the :4falcon: forum in the style of "what to look for when reading opponents" but I thought this question would be more appropriate because I am really trying to be more diverse in my character mains so I can be more prepared for certain MUs.

If this is on the wrong forum, forgive me and I'll ask somewhere else.

So lets say you decide "I'm going to a tournament" or "I'm going to play some For Glory/friendlies" and you pick whatever character and the game starts. Just for the sake of where I am posting this thread, let's say you are at a tournament. Like I said, you pick your character, you pick a stage, you fist bump your opponent and say "good luck", and the game starts.

After the narrator says "3, 2, 1, GO!", what is the very first thing that pops in your head when it comes to how you are going to approach the fight. Better yet, what is it that you start looking for in your opponent as soon as the game begins?

I understand it may be different for many people but honestly, I want to get the perspective of a different players because every time I start a game of FG or I'm at a tournament, I almost always stumble into "auto-pilot mode" because I'm confused as to what I should be looking out for.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Generally: Try to get and punish openings, stay relatively safe (safe movement and spacing of moves).

If I play Luigi I'll probably start spamming Fireballs, approach with spaced fairs, run-shields or grabs. Maybe something else randomly that pops in my head at that moment and depending on what my opponent is doing.

It's also dependant on MUs and what I know about them. And how serious I take the match. The more serious I take it, the more defensively I'll try to play to stay safe.

To give more different examples:

As DK I'll probably charge my punch, maybe run in if my opponent can charge/pull a banana or something similar themselves. Then run/walk around to get dtilts/jabs/grabs or possibly RAR/spaced bairs, or move around with jumps to possibly bait or punish something while staying safe.

As Mewtwo I'll probably start charging Shadow Ball and sometimes randomly throw them or keep it (almost fully charged), or approach with dtilts, spaced fairs, possibly a running-in-nair, airdodge+aerial to bait or possibly hit, etc.

So as you can see, I'll just try to use my characters tools, while generally trying to move in such a way that I feel is mostly safe and that possibly gives me openings to punish (once a punish is gotten combo them or try to read them during their disadvantage).

Of course I'll try to look for some possible reads depending on experience and what my opponent would most likely think/do. But unless I've played that person already I won't know what they'll do at first. It's important to get a feel for how your opponent is playing, choosing options, style, etc, but you get this by trying out approaches/baites/general play. Staying safe with your movement and attacks is always nice to get info/possibly hit/don't risk anything.

Last edited:

Pillowpet

Smash Apprentice
I usually just stay very defensive at start and while stage is being selected and stuff I run through my mind the enemy characters moves and what to watch out for

JagerCry

Smash Cadet
Out of the gate I'd say I see if they immediately shield and if they approach. Since I main Sheik people expect quick needles or for me to just come at them right away so often times I'm met with a defensive start by my opponent. It's kind of like a boxing match where you don't go all in at the start, you don't throw a haymaker off the bat. You don't start a smash match by throwing out smash attacks. At least for me personally I try to gauge how defensive/ how aggressive they are going to be. Do they just let me have center stage to start the match? Do they immediately go for platforms? Do they shield? If they play like Samus (charge shot), Mario (F.L.U.D.D.), Cloud (Limit) etc. do they just try to avoid me and charge up a move or are they willing to skirmish? That's what I usually look for immediately; essentially just whether or not they are going to approach, their positioning on the stage, and how much shielding are they doing.

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
While my thought process in the beginning of match may not be nearly as complicated or intricate as you'd like it to be, I simply scout to see if my opponent is more of a passive or aggressive player. Without making this sound contrived, I essentially take note of the first thing my opponents do. Do they run forward for a grab first? Do they use projectiles first? ...do they just sit there?

With this little knowledge I can make predictions as to what the opponent's overall playstyle is. I try to know whether they prefer to approach or stay back so I can take advantage of that. Although I play Palutena, I can still go in or play defensive and use Auto-Reticle as needed. I try not to overthink this whole process though, because there are some things to be learned about an opponent that only occur mid-match.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I play Link, who's a zoner so it depends on the opponent and stage. In general I bolster my defenses by pulling a bomb but certain characters like CFalcon can rush the 40 frame pull. In those cases I'll either SH or platform drop during the animation to a different level to support spacing. If I notice patterns on game 1 I'll act accordingly on game 2 like if the opponent platform drops on battlefield I'll immediately throw a boomerang angled down. Sometimes as a mixup on stages like SV I'll SH forward to Zair>land and jab combo. Against bullet climax happy Bayo players I'll charge an arrow since the animation makes Link crouch.

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
All options in this game boil down to two stances, offense and defense. Offensive options include moving towards an opponent, attacking, and grabbing. Defensive options are the opposite; moving away from an opponent, shielding, air dodging, spot dodging, and rolling. What your opponents choose early on is an indicator of what they may try to use to escape combos, or what kind of follow-ups they will look for in their own combos.

For example, if they are empty hopping in neutral, they are likely looking for a falling aerial to start a combo, or a rising aerial to begin walling you out. etc. Pretty basic but recognizing what their options mean can greatly assist you in avoiding damaging combo strings.

Things get complicated very quickly when you add movement into the mix. Advanced tech like Extended Dash Dancing, Foxtrotting, Perfect Pivoting, empty hopping, tomahawking, B-reversing, Wavebouncing, etc. add layers to one's patterns, which are difficult to read in the heat of a tournament set.

So, to answer your question, I look for what options they choose early on and adapt my neutral and advantage/disadvantage from there.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I try not to overthink things in this game too much, lest I get a headache. Generally I'm looking for two things: openings and habits. When does he leave himself open? Are their gaps in his defense? Does he know how to stay safe? If so, how do I get in? If not, how can I punish it the hardest? Does he have any exploitable habits? Maybe he does X thing a lot. Maybe he doesn't do Y thing at all.

Those are more or less all the questions that run through my head when I'm fighting someone, because once you start answering those questions, then you can start making reads, which are very important.

To offer the most basic example, I play Mario. What I like to do sometimes is grab an opponent, down throw and start up tilt strings to see what they do. If they try to break out with an aerial, then I'll know next time to shield instead of continuing to attack. If they jump out, then I'll have to switch up my combo.

It's not the most complex thought process, but I find it to be effective nonetheless. Anything else important that I need to know I'll more often than not find out later in the game.

Captain Phobos

Smash Apprentice
It depends heavily on my character, and my opponent's character. As Fox, I step back and start firing lasers until my opponent has to approach, then try to run up and get a grab while they have their guard down. If I'm playing as a closer ranged character like Marth, I'll begin the approach (unless my opponent does so a lot faster) and mostly just try to avoid them until they make a mistake and go in for a punish.

Basically right away I try to wait for my opponent to make any sort of mistake, or just get as much damage on them as early as I can.

Top Bottom