• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice What Is the Best Way To Practice?

Daneasaur

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone, First time posting.

So I've been going to tournaments for a few months now and I'm making progress but I know I'm not meeting my full potential. What do you all think is the best way to practice?

I personally don't really like playing online, I think the lag is really distracting and people go for so much cheese. What do you all do? I enjoy practicing tech offline but I don't think techskill is really what's holding me back (I main Bowser and those projectile characters are really tough)

Any help would be appreciated!
Thank you

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Personally, I'd recommend finding specific areas you want to improve in and focus on those for a while. You'll notice your improvement more if you hone specific skills one at a time.

When it comes to actually practicing, lab time is important but actual matches are even more so. Make sure to show up to tournies early enough to play some friendlies before the bracket so you can get used to using those skills in the heat of battle. Friendlies also allow you to practice mindgames and yomi more effectively. You can also ask other players if they can spot any personal weaknesses of yours so you can try to improve on those.

Closing in on a projectile character is a hard thing to do in the lab, so next time you go to a tourny find an opponent who plays a zoner and grind some friendlies with them. Focus on cornering them near the ledge and identifying their preferred defensive options in close range. Bannana Boy made a video that goes more in depth if you haven't seen it yet.

Having consistent movement is important for approaching and avoiding projectiles, so if there's any area you're a little sloppy in (short hopping, fast falling, ect) grind that out in the training room. You can also practice parrying projectiles by setting a Falco cpu to neutral special.

Oz o:

Smash Journeyman
Since I'm also stuck in the same place, I'd recommend you attend to as many tournament weekies as you can. You can practice all you want, but tournament and friendlies and night and day difference, for me.

Daneasaur

Smash Rookie
Since I'm also stuck in the same place, I'd recommend you attend to as many tournament weekies as you can. You can practice all you want, but tournament and friendlies and night and day difference, for me.
Ya that was my plan I havent missed my friday local in months and I try to get there real early for some friendlies.

Daneasaur

Smash Rookie
Personally, I'd recommend finding specific areas you want to improve in and focus on those for a while. You'll notice your improvement more if you hone specific skills one at a time.

When it comes to actually practicing, lab time is important but actual matches are even more so. Make sure to show up to tournies early enough to play some friendlies before the bracket so you can get used to using those skills in the heat of battle. Friendlies also allow you to practice mindgames and yomi more effectively. You can also ask other players if they can spot any personal weaknesses of yours so you can try to improve on those.

Closing in on a projectile character is a hard thing to do in the lab, so next time you go to a tourny find an opponent who plays a zoner and grind some friendlies with them. Focus on cornering them near the ledge and identifying their preferred defensive options in close range. Bannana Boy made a video that goes more in depth if you haven't seen it yet.

Having consistent movement is important for approaching and avoiding projectiles, so if there's any area you're a little sloppy in (short hopping, fast falling, ect) grind that out in the training room. You can also practice parrying projectiles by setting a Falco cpu to neutral special.
Thanks for the suggestions! :)

Top Bottom